Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD Rebuilder

Old 22nd July 2005, 19:37   #1  |  Link
Big_Berny

Feature Request: Re-encode audio

Hi,
great tool! I just bought it some weeks ago!

But it could be even better!
What about an audio re-encoder which is able to convert 5.1 sound to stereo? Then the audio bitrate could be much lower which would improve video quality! Specially when you use multiple audio streams this could be a big improvement.
And I don't think that this would be too difficult because DVD Rebuilder has to merge the video and audio anyway and decoder/encoder are also available.

Greets
Big_Berny
Old 22nd July 2005, 20:55   #2  |  Link
marpada

There's no much difference between 5.1 and 2.0, maybe 200 mb or so...you won't notice any improved video quality.

It'd be useful convert PCM tracks to 2.0 though. Some music DVDs only have a PCM track, which can be between 1 o 2 Gb !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Berny
What about an audio re-encoder which is able to convert 5.1 sound to stereo? Then the audio bitrate could be much lower which would improve video quality!
Big_Berny
marpada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2005, 20:57   #3  |  Link
Big_Berny

Well 200MB isn't nothing! If you have 2 Streams you save already 400MB. And for those (like me) who haven't a 5.1 system there is no disadvantage!

Big_Berny
Old 22nd July 2005, 22:44   #4  |  Link
TheSeeker
Master of Chaos

I have another feature request. Ability to save pre configured settings. For example. Someone could make a preconfigured setting called High Bitrate anime. And that would change the vbr bias, qual prec, gop length, dc precision, custom matrices, etc. All the setting that you would change depending on the source material. That way you just set them up once, and boom! next time all you have to do is choose that setting configuration and your set to encode. No more wandering again and again through all the settings making sure everything is setup correctly.
Old 22nd July 2005, 23:41   #5  |  Link
Rockas
Ridendo Castigat Mores

Well... you can do something like that already
just save your Projects and Load them when you need to restore the configurations

www.dvdrebuilder.com
RME
Rockas Software
Rockas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005, 00:09   #6  |  Link
borgraf

Yep what Rockas said I have a few "templates" (project files) saved. And with .rbd files associated with DVD-RB I just double-click the template, change source and work dirs and take off
borgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005, 00:24   #7  |  Link
Rockas
Ridendo Castigat Mores

Quote:
And with .rbd files associated with DVD-RB
Everybody that used the professional Installer gets that done

www.dvdrebuilder.com
RME
Rockas Software
Rockas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005, 02:38   #8  |  Link
borgraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockas
Everybody that used the professional Installer gets that done
dude you get enough promotion already from that large sig of yours

jokes aside, another nice bonus feature from the installer.. keep it up Rockas
borgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005, 08:46   #9  |  Link
rpboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Berny
What about an audio re-encoder which is able to convert 5.1 sound to stereo? Then the audio bitrate could be much lower which would improve video quality! Specially when you use multiple audio streams this could be a big improvement.
And I don't think that this would be too difficult because DVD Rebuilder has to merge the video and audio anyway and decoder/encoder are also available.
Yes, it would be a nice feature. And considering that there are open source AC3 encoders, it would be a nice idea to have it integrated.

Untill that time (which may never come), I just use this method to either shrink audio or convert PCM to 2 channel AC3 to save a lot of room:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=84887
rpboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005, 08:50   #10  |  Link
rpboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marpada
There's no much difference between 5.1 and 2.0, maybe 200 mb or so...you won't notice any improved video quality.
Actually, you definitely could. I just used DVD-RB to back up The Crow: Wicked Prayer.

After making a backup after ripping, I noticed the quality on my monitor wasn't that great, showing pixels and blockiness in places. So I demuxed the audio and convereted the 4 commentary tracks (yup, 4!) from 192kbit AC3 files down to 96kbit AC3 files. Ended up saving about 170 MB.

Ran it through DVD-RB again and the quality was definitely less blocky.

200MB is about 1/22 of a disc. I think it can make a pretty good impact on your final result.
rpboy is offline   Reply With Quote