Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 17th June 2005, 18:13   #141  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veverica
Add: tested and recompress avi with divx and it works...
What version of DivX works? And what filters do you use for playing? You can find out from your player (e.g., in viPlay, right-click->Advanced->Filters).
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 00:12   #142  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.Prozac
Hi !
I tried to open several AVI files using SubRip 1.30b8.
There is no preview in "Video file viewer" - just white blank window.
I tried to reinstall AviSyth and also use other versions of AVS but it didn't help.
When I try to open temp.avs script located in SubRip directory it is decoded correctly and I can play every AVI file included in this script using Media Player Classic or Windows Media Player 6.4
So, what is the reason ?
Thanks for reporting.
Similar behaviours have been reported in the contact section of http://zuggy.wz.cz/ . Please report here from now on, it helps me by not requiring me to monitor several topics.
At this point, I am unable to determine if it is a driver problem or a codec problem. Please download one of the 1.2 beta versions before the introduction of AVS support (SubRip v1.2 Beta 13 was the last one) from AfterDawn or DVD.box.sk, and report if your .avi files work with it. Also, report if you receive a message saying it was opened in MediaPlayer mode.
Also, can you tell me if playing the movie does anything in 1.30 Beta 8? Does the frame number change? Does the video preview window refresh if you drag it around, or is it "transparent"? What is your hardware configuration (video card/driver)? What codecs/packs have you installed? Can you try a .mpg, .ogm or .vob file also, not just .avi?

For the time being, I can only recommend that you try another machine and/or another combination of codecs. The user above reported that the problem went away after recompressing the movies with DivX (he didn't say which version, I'm waiting for his reply). The sooner I recieve more details about this, she sooner I can try to fix it or at least recommend a work-around.

Last edited by ai4spam; 20th June 2005 at 00:21.
Old 20th June 2005, 01:55   #143  |  Link
dr.Prozac

Hi !
First I want to express my admiration for your project and effort. SubRip is a great tool and I'm really happy that there is someone who wants to continue this great project.
It's very late now and I'm just going to sleep but tomorrow I will do so many test as I will be able to do. I will try to answer all your questions you have written above.
I'm not a professional programmer but I love Pascal and Delphi. So I will also try to download the source code of SubRip. I'm working on Delphi 2005 now so if there will be no problems with opening your project so let me be helpful also in this way.
See you soon !
Greets,
Prozac
Old 20th June 2005, 17:52   #144  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

I was going to suggest that, but didn't know if you had worked with Delphi. By the way, you can have both Delphi 2005 and Delpi 7 (the one we tested on) installed on the same PC - in case you have trouble pening the project in Delphi 2005. All the needed components are either included, or mentioned in the text file in the Components directory (you may need to download them).
Keep me posted on your progress, and I'll send you instructions on what to do to help me debug this (I can't reproduce this bug on my machine).

Thanks a lot for the help.

Last edited by ai4spam; 20th June 2005 at 18:20.
Old 20th June 2005, 18:23   #145  |  Link
dr.Prozac

Quote:
Please download one of the 1.2 beta versions before the introduction of AVS support (SubRip v1.2 Beta 13 was the last one) from AfterDawn or DVD.box.sk, and report if your .avi files work with it.
I found 1.2 beta 9. Avi files work fine with this version.
Quote:
Also, report if you receive a message saying it was opened in MediaPlayer mode.
Yes. I recived this message.
Quote:
Also, can you tell me if playing the movie does anything in 1.30 Beta 8?
It seems everything works fine. There is just no picture in the window.
Quote:
Does the frame number change?
Yes.
Quote:
Does the video preview window refresh if you drag it around, or is it "transparent"?
When I drag a rectangle by right-clicking then it is shown in the main window of the program as blue rectangle. There is no preview inside it.
Quote:
What is your hardware configuration (video card/driver)?
nVidia GeForce FX 5700 LE.
Quote:
What codecs/packs have you installed?
I do not use any packs. The only one I have installed is XviD 1.1 beta2. I regularly use it to MPEG4 encoding. I don't use any other decoding filters like ffdshow ect. XviD decodes my XviD and DivX5 clips. I have also prepared a screen for you containing my drivers configuration of system registy HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 (attached file).
Quote:
Can you try a .mpg, .ogm or .vob file also, not just .avi?
Now I have only AVI (divx5 and XviD) and VOB files on my HDD. I tried open VOB files and the situation is exactly the same.

I have done some more tests.
As I mentioned above - using version 1.2 beta 9 my avi files were decodec correctly but when I decided to open the same clip via AVS script then the situation is the same when opening AVI file in version 1.30 beta 8. No preview but the total number of the frames is correct and the frame number changes properly.
Next, I decided to install ffdshow filter, though I really don't like this filter since it is developed by various people and contains many bugs. I set ffdshow to decode all supported formats but nothing changed.
Sometimes (not always), when I open XviD file the red coloured message apperars in "video file viewer": "Couldn't locate decompressor for DivX....". Really strange because the fourcc of this clip is XviD. Next time when I try to open the same file there is no any message. Strange.

According to Delphi code: I will download it soon. I think it will be better to discuss about it via PM, mail ect because it will be a little offtopic here for other users.
Attached Images

Old 21st June 2005, 16:32   #146  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Quote:
As I mentioned above - using version 1.2 beta 9 my avi files were decodec correctly but when I decided to open the same clip via AVS script then the situation is the same when opening AVI file in version 1.30 beta 8. No preview but the total number of the frames is correct and the frame number changes properly.
Sounds to me like the problem is either in AviSynth or in avifil32.dll.
Quote:
Sometimes (not always), when I open XviD file the red coloured message apperars in "video file viewer": "Couldn't locate decompressor for DivX....". Really strange because the fourcc of this clip is XviD. Next time when I try to open the same file there is no any message. Strange.
There are TWO places where the fourcc is set in an .avi file, and they may not coincide. Try opening an .avi file with a decent hex viewer (like the TotalCommander lister) and see for yourself. Some apps use the first, others use the second. So, the fact that MediaPlayer plays a movie doesn't guarantee that AviSynth will.
Old 23rd June 2005, 03:30   #147  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

SubRip 1.30 Beta 9 is up.

Changes:
- fixed video not showing bug (thanks drProzac for help)
- added UniCode font support: by default, Arial Unicode MS is used, if available (it's installed with MS Office, and it supports about every character under the Sun)
- fixed several other bugs

Also, added Swedish language (thanks to Masken). All languages are updated to the last version, with English where the translation is missing. If anyone wants to update them, please contact zuggy.

Last edited by ai4spam; 23rd June 2005 at 03:33.
Old 26th June 2005, 07:02   #148  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

SubRip 1.30 Beta 10 is up.

Changes:
- added a Font button in the subtitle window
- fixed several bugs in hard-subbed video ripping
Old 29th June 2005, 05:39   #149  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

By user request, here is my Char Matrix.
http://sr1.mytempdir.com/132702
It has some 8000 characters in it, and works for some 90% of the DVDs. Beware, although I did my best to type in things correctly, there may be occasional times when a character is detected incorrectly, so make sure to set the OCR sensitivity very high, even at 1000. There are DVDs with which it doesn't work, in which case you can either add your own characters, or make a new matrix file. If some subs are really "esoteric" (as in, a font I've never seen), I prefer to make a new matrix for them. If only a few characters are not recognized (such as diacritics and the like), I just add them to this big file as they show up.
This file will help you with the "best guess" feature too: most of the time a character is detected correctly, but SubRip is not 100% sure. Just press the "Use" button if the character is the one you want, or Ctrl-Enter to copy it in the edit box if the style needs changing (such as, if it's italic in the matrix, but not italic in the sub), then Enter to confirm.
There are only a few "compound characters" (like "%") because I've cleaned this matrix up recently, after I implemented extended selections. You can use the "<<" and ">>" buttons to shrink/expand the selection, or Ctrl-Left arrow and Ctrl-Right arrow.

Last edited by ai4spam; 26th August 2005 at 12:22.
Old 2nd July 2005, 19:29   #150  |  Link
Esc

One thing I always wanted to ask.
Imagine, you have forgotten to set/remove the italic flag and screwed up several characters. You go to Edit Matrix and gladly see the characters unsorted. They are in the order of appearance. So you go to the last character and modify it. This is when the bad thing happens. They resort by the code. So now instead of modifying next to last character you have to search through the whole matrix looking for it.
Could you please not resort the matrix until it is saved/loaded?
Thanks!
Esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2005, 21:05   #151  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Just click on the column headings to sort by index (order of appearance) or alphabetically. It just gets really slow when the matrix is large, because to edit/delete, it removes everything from the table and adds it back.

Last edited by ai4spam; 2nd July 2005 at 21:08.
Old 14th July 2005, 14:44   #152  |  Link
yaz
n00b ever

sure, it was mentioned before, but i can't find it, so ... sorry for repeating.

since the introduction of unicode support (1.30b9) i got permanent problems w/the layout of subrip. texts are overlapping, some of them are unreadable (too small a/o too thin characters), even the about box is unreadable including that the subrip logo does not fit into the box. when i roll back to 1.30b8 everythings seems to be fine.
further i noticed that some items in the settings panels are always 'defaulted' on reload.

what should i change/set so as to get 1.30b10 to look properly. as far as i see it worx right.

thx
y
yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2005, 18:17   #153  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Beta 9 switched to using Arial UniCodeMS as the font instead of MS Sans Serif, Tahoma, Arial and Times, to ensure UniCode support for all languages. It is copyrighted, so I cannot distribute it, but it comes with Office XP and some other MS products. I think you're missing it and Windows defaults to some other font that's not exactly appropriate.
The font size for all the controls is the same as before, so if the font used is TrueType, it should show up ok, otherwise you get various weird things happening. I tried to resize most of what I could find, but I've obviously missed some things. It would help if you made a list of the windows/places where you found problems, so that I can go over them again.

In Beta 10 you can change the font back to MS Sans Serif, Tahoma or Arial in the Global Options dialog.
Old 15th July 2005, 09:40   #154  |  Link
yaz
n00b ever

@ai4spam
thx a lot ! i've expected some font type mysery but it's pretty hard to chase down the appropriate one(s) by hand.

what's the reason of the bad fitting/alignment of the 'SubRip' logo in the about box. (the last quarter of P is out of the box) is it magnified from text ?

thx
y
yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2005, 19:13   #155  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

If you're missing the Arial UniCode MS font, Windows chooses one that it thinks is closest (supposedly from the same familiy). I guess I could make it default to Arial or MS Sans Serif if it's missing...

I can't see the "incomplete p" problem here, the window looks ok to me. Can you attach/send a screenshot?
Old 16th July 2005, 04:14   #156  |  Link
kaizoku

http://zuggy.wz.cz/ seems to be down...anyone got a working link for the latest beta?

edit: nevm...stupid me shouldnt post before googleing

Last edited by kaizoku; 16th July 2005 at 04:18.
kaizoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2005, 09:21   #157  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Seems to work fine now...
Old 17th July 2005, 06:40   #158  |  Link
jp80

The page for your char matrix displays the message "The file was removed.
Reason: Hosting period expired.", then could you please repost it?
jp80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2005, 09:12   #159  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Sure:
http://sr1.mytempdir.com/86416
Old 28th July 2005, 08:19   #160  |  Link
Daijoubu

Is it possible to add a new feature to the hard subbed detection?
I'll like to only get the timing

The hard subtitles are in chinese so I wonder if it's possible to only write the timing to the SRT so I can fill in the translation manualy
Daijoubu is offline   Reply With Quote