Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 8th May 2005, 06:30   #1  |  Link
teksno

just and idea i had

hey,

i posted a while ago that im having trouble backing up some DVDs to avi (Star Wars Collection and Kill Bill vol 1 and 2 and im still having trouble with Star Wars BTW) i recently did a mass encoding session that took me 3 days and about 60 gbs of space...basicly i encoded each star wars movie with ervey possible sub option, since the forced subs are in their own stream and Agk doesnt pick them out when the forced subs option is checked....and i thought instead of doing this by trial and error, why not help the community and help the new guys who take on back up projects and post settings for movies that have their forced subs in a seperate sub stream?

does this sound like a plausable idea?

this couild also cut out some of the ever redundant posts when a new major movie comes out and has forced subs that arent working....
teksno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2005, 08:50   #2  |  Link
manono

Hi-

Not to be harsh, but:

basicly i encoded each star wars movie with ervey possible sub option, since the forced subs are in their own stream and Agk doesnt pick them out when the forced subs option is checked....

You did this just to try and find the subs? If so, what a waste of time. Since they have their own stream, they're not forced subs, and checking the forced sub box is guaranteed not to get them.

Granted, subs in a different language can be tricky to find sometimes. You want to know how to find them? Open the IFO in Configure. Configure is found in the Subtitle Tab of GKnot. Or if you have VobSub installed, go find it and open Configure. Open the IFO, and get all the sub streams in idx/sub form. When that's done, open the idx in Resynch (also in the Subtitle Tab, or whereever you have VobSub). You can open each sub stream one at a time. There's a column in there for forced subs. If you really have forced subs, they will be marked, and you can tick the timestamp for that forced sub to see what it says. If not, keep going. The subs for a different language will be few in number. Click on a timestamp and it will show you what that line says.

If they are really forced, then go back into AutoGK and choose that stream and check the forced sub box for that stream. If they aren't forced, but have their own stream, then tick that stream in AutoGK and leave the forced sub box unchecked.

Anything to add or amend, niamh? Do you know a better way?
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2005, 09:24   #3  |  Link
teksno

well thanks for the reply....ill try that....but i think yopu missed the point of my post......

i was wondering if you guys think it might be a good idea to compile a list of all the movies that have the "forced" subs in a seperate stream...like star wars and kill bill...and post what stream is the stream you see when you watch the dvd normally....esentially a d-base of info for the simplest of backing up movies...

that way it could save new guys like me, who know next to nill other then rip and press start in Auto GK, tons of time and hard drive space...

i guess i did get a little wordy and should of just gotten to my point in the original post....
Old 8th May 2005, 11:23   #4  |  Link
manono

It's not just AutoGK people that have trouble finding them, but AVI people using other apps, and DVDR people as well. My opinion is that this belongs, if anywhere, in the Subtitles Forum. Others may disagree.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2005, 13:43   #5  |  Link
niamh
Dismembered

Quote:
Anything to add or amend, niamh? Do you know a better way?
No . But you make it look like a fearsome procedure

The database thingie makes sense in theory but:
1)all releases of different DVD's, even sometimes in the same country, let alone the whole world are different.
2) Make a thread out of that, and in 2 weeks, it will be a horrid mess that nobody will want to even look through.

All the same (and Len0x is sure to love me for that - not), it would be nice if AGK could run a detection of forced subs automatically, by possibly checking forced flags itself through subresync (sounds like work, not sure if possible).And if there are none, run some sort of counter on all streams, and so detect the ones likely to be "forced" (they have very few lines) (sounds like a lot more work)

Before I get killed, I'm just tossing ideas into the air, no more
Old 8th May 2005, 18:46   #6  |  Link
teksno

well like i said it was just an idea for the people, like me, that are really new to the scene and only know and use AGK (hence why i put it in this forum and not in the subs). but trust me i can really understand the fact that the thread would becom clogged and bloated with bullshit...thanks for the feed back though.
Old 11th May 2005, 10:02   #7  |  Link
teksno

hey guys....sorry to bring this back up but.....i found the right stream....but it wont show up properly.... it turns out i had the right stream all the time but the "forced" subtitle stream barley shows up....i finally had to encode the avi near 3 cds to even notice anything.....all that shows is a little discoloration where the subtitle should be. its barley noticable.

any thought on how to fix this?

this project is turning out to become a real "phantom menace"...(get it...phantom...no subs...get it....no....ahhhh i got nothing....)
Old 11th May 2005, 15:15   #8  |  Link
niamh
Dismembered

Do they show on preview at all?
Sounds like they've been made transparent or something, weird.
Old 12th May 2005, 05:35   #9  |  Link
teksno

actually i havent used the prieview...i have a few different computer that do all the crunching and just save the out put files to my media server...but the transparent this sounds about right....i am really at a loss here....espiaclly considering im new to this..