Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 6th January 2002, 18:57   #1  |  Link
sk

Tempge crashes on my win2000 OS system

I have installed new win 2000 system on computer. I used to have windows 98se before. I have tried version 2.02 and 2.5 of Tempge software on the winodws 2000 operation system and they all crash when I add mpg2 file to the first screen of the program. As soon as I add any mpg2 file program crashes.
I can use other mpg tools fine, its only the first screen where addding a file causes carsh in the program.
Using very same files I used when I had 98se installed on my system and never had any problems.
Currently I am using version 2.5 of Tempge.

Can anybody help me why Tempge software crashes on win2000 but not with windows 98se.

thanks
sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2002, 15:21   #2  |  Link
gft

You need to better describe exactly what you are doing before I can help you. What do you mean by the "first screen"? Also, I take it you're tring to load a .mpg file directly into TMPGEnc. If it is mpeg-2 video, you should run it through DVD2AVI and then either avisynth or vfapi.

-gft
gft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2002, 15:34   #3  |  Link
sk

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by gft
You need to better describe exactly what you are doing before I can help you. What do you mean by the "first screen"? Also, I take it you're tring to load a .mpg file directly into TMPGEnc. If it is mpeg-2 video, you should run it through DVD2AVI and then either avisynth or vfapi.

-gft
I don't know what else to call that screen. This screen comes up as soon as you run TMPGEnc program and it has START and STOP button on top. Yes it is mpg2 video file.
As you have said "you should run it through DVD2AVI and then either avisynth or vfapi." But my question is why I did not have to do this when I had TMGEnc installed on win98se and I was using version 2.02. These are the same mpeg2 video files that I have used before. My purpose of doing all this is to make my mpg2 video files to dvd video compliant. For some reason mpg2 files are acceptable in any DVD authoring program. I used ATI redan all in wonder hardware to capture dvd(high) quality video in mpeg2 format.
thanks
sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2002, 15:47   #4  |  Link
gft

What you should say is, "I load my mpeg-2 video file as the video source" blah blah blah "my intended format is DVD."

Now I have a much better idea of what to tell you.

Mpeg-2 files are only acceptable as input in TMPGEnc if you have proper directshow filters installed. Have you tried playing your mpeg file in windows media player?

Anyhow, that is somewhat irrelevant to your situation. Because your destination is DVD (at least I'm assuming that because you mentioned DVD authoring software in your post) and your source file is mpeg-2, you should not have to reencode. The most you should have to do is remultiplex the video using File>MPEG Tools in TMPGEnc. Set the "Type" to "MPEG-2 Program (VBR)" and your video and audio input as your original mpeg2 file.
Which makes me wonder - perhaps your DVD authoring software is not accepting the mpeg file from your radeon because the audio is not an acceptable format. That is a possability, but I don't have any knowledge about how the radeon captures its audio.

mpeg-2 files (.mpg or .mpeg files with mpeg-2 format video) are acceptable in any dvd authoring program because DVD video is of the mpeg-2 format. You may end up having to demultiplex your video and audio, because DVD authoring programs end up remuxing them to the .vob format.

For further help, I suggest you check your DVD authoring program's manual THOROUGHLY and then take your problem to the DVD authoring forum.

I hope this helps,
gft
gft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2002, 20:30   #5  |  Link
Slyde

Hi,

I'm having a quite similar problem with TMPGenc and maybe win2k

TMPGenc 12a/12b/2.5 crashes ramdomly and throws an "error in module ..." while encoding an AVS script and WAV audio to MPEG1 or MPEG2.

TMPGenc 2.5 crashed only a few minutes after starting encoding. 12a/b only crash later, between 30 and 50% last time I tryied.

My processor is a Celeron 900@1200 on a P3B-F mobo, the system is fully stable while running BurnMMX/P5/P6, 3Dmark2001, SuperPI 32M, RTCW, DivX Encoders, Winstone for many hours. RAM is also fully stable @ 133 cas 233, tested with Quicktech 98 many hours.

I was a year ago using TMPGenc under w98 with a far less stable processor (cel 366@550 which had an unstable L2 cache) and got no problem at all even when encoding for 33h.

Any suggestion anyone ?
Slyde is offline   Reply With Quote