Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 8th October 2004, 22:50   #1  |  Link
TheMatrixx

How To Add NEW Subtitles to a DVD and Keep the Menu ! + First MOVIE Tutorial !

This method is almost obsolete now. PCdemux, muxman and Vobblanker will do the job and they are all free tools. Furthermore they are quick and convenient. No need to have this thread sticky anymore.

Hello all, I have just released a brand new guide on how to add subtitles to a DVD. So here it is:

Watch now the MOVIE TUTORIAL on How to Add Subtitles to a DVD using DVD-lab PRO !

DVD Subtitle Guide using DVD-lab PRO

***3 Steps Guide***

This guide brings new things, like support for SRT and SUB subtitles or SSA, SON and SST.
And more easy on use by the beginers on DVD Authoring world.
I must to thank all the users on my forum for supporting me and understanding me.
Please join my forum for more support and if you need help, ofcourse ;-)

Software used:
  1. DVD Decrypter - (for demuxing video, audio, subtitles and chapters form the DVD)
  2. DVD-lab PRO (Version 1.53 Recommended) - (for multiplexing video, audio and subtitles)
  3. Ifo Update - (for updating the original IFO fles, let them know about the new info in the VOB files)

Create 3 folders on a partition with more then 20 Gb of free space. NTFS partition is needed for DVD movies over 4 Gb.

STEP 1 - DVD Decrypter

a). Insert in the DVD-ROM the disc on which you want to add a subtitle. If you have an DVD Image on the HardDrive mount it first with Daemon Tools. Open DVD Decrypter, go to Tools menu and then press "Settings" and after that press "IFO Mode" tab and set the parameters like in the image below.

After you have set everything as in the image above, press OK and go to "Mode" menu and select "IFO I".In this moment the software will automatically choose the main film in order to demux it.

b). In the right side, press "Stream Processing " tab and check "Enable Stream Processing" and at the bottom of the window select "Demux" like in the image below.

Now select all the lines in the Stream Processing window, one by one, (ONLY THE ONES YOU WANT OR NEED) and select for each one the Demux option.

c). Select the files destination, in our case "Demuxed DVD" . Press the button

and the program will start its work. After it finishes, close DVD Decrypter.

STEP 2 - Multiplexing video, audio and subtitles with DVD-lab PRO.

a). Open DVD-lab PRO and on the window that appears select like in the image below, the option "Simple (Movie Only)". Don't forget to chose the NTSC or PAL option as is your original DVD movie and hit OK.

b). In the lower left part of the screen, in the big white section, right click and chose "Import..." and import one by one, your VIDEO file and AUDIO file(s).

c.) Right click one by one the each line in the big white section where you just imported the video and audio files, and chose "Insert to Project...".

The Video and Audio will be automaticaly inserted on the MOVIE 1 window (right upper part of the screen).

d). Right click on the Chapters section (right above the Video section) in the MOVIE 1 zone and go to Chapters->Import Chapters...
A windows will appear, just hit "Proceed" button and the chapters will be imported automaticaly to the movie. (Hit OK to all the windows that appear).

e). Double click the Sub 1 line and a new window will appear.
First you must chose the subtitle language...

Second you must click on the Import button and open the subtitle file (you have 5 formats to chose from: SUB, SRT, SSA, SON, SST).

Optional:
  1. You can chose the font color (White or Yellow).
  2. You can chose the font face. (I suggest using a Arial font face).
  3. You can chose the font size. (I suggest using a 22 size font).
  4. You can chose the font style. (I suggest using Thick Outline style).

If you have an NTSC disc I suggest to check the "From DF source" option for perfect syncronization. (You can do some test yourself and see if you have perfect syncronization).

You can view the changes in the Preview window !
After your are done hit the "Generate Subtitle Stream" button and wait for the process to finish...it will automaticaly return to the main window after it's done.

Now you can see your subtitle line added automaticaly.
If you want a subtitle to appear automaticaly on the movie when you start the movie, just select the "Set this Subtitle always ON by default" option.

f). Go to "Project" -> Compile DVD...

In the window that will appear chose the path to the Final DVD folder and hit Start.
Wait untill the whole process finishes. About 15-20 minutes on a AMD 2.0 Ghz machine with 512 DDR.

STEP 3 - Update the original IFO files.

a). Copy from the DVD-ROM in "Original DVD" folder all the files of the disc with DVD Decrypter in File Mode.

--------------------------------------------
WARNING ! - Before moving the *.vob files over the original ones rename them (e g: let's suppose that on the original disc the movie is situated in the VTS_03_1.VOB, VTS_03_2.VOB, VTS_03_3.VOB etc... files . You will have to rename the VOB files from the "Final DVD" folder to their original names.)
--------------------------------------------

b). Select the main movie *.VOB files from the "Final DVD" folder (ex " VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.V OB, VTS_01_3.VOB, VTS_01_4.VOB etc) that contain the movie, !ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE CORRECTLY RENAMED THEM!, and move them (Cut and Paste) in the "Original DVD" folder overwriting the old ones .

c). Open IfoUpdate and go to "Options" menu and select as in the image below.

d). Now you will have to insert the IFO files.
- On "Original IFO Path" choose the corresponding IFO file from "Original DVD" folder (eg:if the movie is situated in the VTS_03_1.VOB, VTS_03_2.VOB, VTS_03_3.VOB etc files, you will have to open VTS_03_0.IFO in IfoUpdate)
- On "Authored IFO Path" choose from "Final DVD" folder VTS_01_0.IFO file.
- On "Backup IFO Path" choose where to save a backup of the original file just in case you make a mistake. Press "Update IFO" and 2 windows will appear and click OK.

Now the new DVD with your prefered subtitle is ready for burning on a DVD±R/DVD±RW.

Guide made by TheMatrix

Since this guide seems to be disappeared, You'll find it
her

Edited by ukendt 12-11(Nov)-05

Last edited by ukendt; 7th January 2006 at 12:22.
TheMatrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2004, 14:34   #2  |  Link
Tironic

Nice guide. Works perfectly, just like your other guide.
Thx for it.
Tironic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2004, 10:59   #3  |  Link
super_freak

Thanks to TheMatrix, great job.
super_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2004, 17:07   #4  |  Link
Piaf

verry nice input im sure take a look at it cheers!
Piaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2004, 20:22   #5  |  Link
Mtz

@ The Matrix > why didn't you made the title like this:
How To Add NEW Subtitles to a DVD and keeping the menu ?
I think this thread must to be sticky.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2004, 21:20   #6  |  Link
TheMatrixx

Done!
Old 19th October 2004, 14:59   #7  |  Link
caprioles9000

Great guide....wonderful...one question though....lets say that you were able to download a subrip format subtitles that were ment to be for a divx version of the movie ..if you make sure that your time stamps are the same would you be then able to use it with this guide .....so basically take subs that were ment to be for divx and add them to a dvd-r?
caprioles9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2004, 15:06   #8  |  Link
TheMatrixx

That will be a YES !
Old 19th October 2004, 15:34   #9  |  Link
caprioles9000

Hey matrix just saw your video....wonderful....what i realised was that you first imported the english subtitles in your project...however it looked like the text displayed by DVD lab was romanian...and then besically renamed it to english ..did DVD Lab Pro simply convert the subtitle stream from romanian to english ....or am i wrong

Last edited by caprioles9000; 19th October 2004 at 15:40.
Old 19th October 2004, 15:40   #10  |  Link
TheMatrixx

No no I didn't had the english one at that moment, and I just doubled the romanian one, to show people that can be inserted more than one subtitle
Old 19th October 2004, 15:42   #11  |  Link
caprioles9000

ahhh alright then ..so then basically the most important part is that if you have a srt file ...just make sure that the timestamps match with another original from the dvd ....w000hh thats lots of note pad work ...wish someone could come with a script for changing those in an instant :0 but still this guide is great ....its gonna come in very handy
Old 19th October 2004, 15:45   #12  |  Link
TheMatrixx

YES, you're right

I wish too, for someone who could make a script like that, till then will have to make notepad hardwork
Old 19th October 2004, 17:40   #13  |  Link
ukendt

I made this thread sticky
Quote:
just make sure that the timestamps match with another original from the dvd .
Well, STW is able to do that
If U have the original srt with original time stamps and the translated file has as many lines as the original 1, U may "import" the translated 1 to match the same time stamps as the original
Otherwise U have 2 other possibilities (read STW manual: it's very good!!!)
ukendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2004, 17:43   #14  |  Link
TheMatrixx

Cool Thank you ukendt
Old 25th November 2004, 16:01   #15  |  Link
Dvd@Best

I have used DVDLAB pro , added new subtitle , but DVDLAB pro did not create the Usual .99 gb vob , it creates like 9756223kb vobs , thats why i am having problems in palying back dvd.

Any help will be appreciated

Regards
Dvd@Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2004, 03:09   #16  |  Link
vorcor

First of all, thanks for the GREAT video, and for the time you spent making it. Thank you!

I've already inserted subtitles in 4 movies with this method, and works perfect, except for this little thing:

If i'm working in a NTSC video after i demuxed it, and when i open DVD LabPro i choose NTSC, but when i "insert into project" the video, there isn´t any timecode at all, even when i import the chapters.

Has this happened to anyone???

Hey Matrixx, any tips on that???

Thanks for everything.
vorcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2004, 19:41   #17  |  Link
ukendt

Dvd@Best
Dunno, my version is behaving perfectly

vorcor
Try to "run" the mpv file in within DVDLab(it should fix the prob)
I had this prob with earlier versions not anymore with final
ukendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2004, 11:36   #18  |  Link
Paddington
Author of SubtitleCreator

Quote:
Originally posted by caprioles9000
ahhh alright then ..so then basically the most important part is that if you have a srt file ...just make sure that the timestamps match with another original from the dvd ....w000hh thats lots of note pad work ...wish someone could come with a script for changing those in an instant :0 but still this guide is great ....its gonna come in very handy
With respect to synchronization of two subtitles, I have written a tool, SubtitleCreator, that creates subtitles *.sup files (and uses IfoEdit to multiplex it back again - see my subtitle guide). However, it can use an original subtitle *.sup for synchronization. You just need to select a couple of lines that correspond, and it will interpolate and extrapolate so the other lines are corrected as well. This tool is open source software, so you can just take the source code if you like, add a GUI, and use it to synchronize your new subtitle...
Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2004, 11:46   #19  |  Link
Paddington
Author of SubtitleCreator

It looks like a great guide, although I haven't tested it yet, and I am especially interested in trying IfoUpdate! However, just a small remark: why don't you start with DVDshrink in step 1, instead of compressing the output in step 3? This will make the files that you need to process smaller, and therefore slower. Although theoretically it might mean that the new DVD with additional subtitles won't fit a DVD anymore, I have never encountered this problem in practice, as DVD subtitles are very small (a couple of Mb, which DVDshrink always seems to leave).
Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 01:44   #20  |  Link
TheMatrixx

Quote:
Originally posted by Dvd@Best
I have used DVDLAB pro , added new subtitle , but DVDLAB pro did not create the Usual .99 gb vob , it creates like 9756223kb vobs , thats why i am having problems in palying back dvd.

Any help will be appreciated

Regards
You are using version 1.0 of DVD-lab PRO, or a BETA version. Please go to my site http://dvdromania.org and you will find there lastest builds and links to updates.
You need DVD-lab PRO 1.0 Final with the 1.0 041215 UPDATE (from here -> http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/historypro.html )
DVD-lab PRO 1.0 dosen't make files under 0.99 Gb from the update version 1.0 041025.
"1.0 041025 - Changes VOB split point to 1GB based on 1024 instead 1000 base"