Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Old 10th March 2004, 21:04   #1  |  Link
madmaninc
Rip It, Burn It, Watch it

Nero 6 Backing Up A Backup?

I have Nero 6 and am trying to backup a backup that I created using DVD Shrink. I want to use my DVD-rom as a reader and my DVD Burner to create the disc...is this possible using Nero 6 on a 1:1 copy?
If so, what settings do you use?

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU, 1gig PC2100 DDR Ram, Windows XP Home,(1)80gig WD HD, (2)20gig WD HD's USB External, TDK Indi 8X Dual Format DVD Burner, LG 16X DVD Rom, Asus A7N266VM Mainboard, 64mb nVidiaGeForce2 Integrated Video Card, nVidia nForce MCP Audio Card w/Dolby Pro Logic, Avermedia EZDVD Maker PCI Card,(2)Subs & (6)Speakers, & (1) 150lb. Rotweiller Named Zeus....get the picture?
madmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2004, 04:55   #2  |  Link
Dimmer

DVD copy button doesn't work for you? There aren't really any settings there except source and destination drives, their speed, and temp folder on HDD.

You can copy in file mode, too. Create a new DVD-Video compilation, open your DVD-ROM in the explorer panel. Drag and drop VIDEO_TS folder from the explorer into compilation. Burn.
Dimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2004, 10:27   #3  |  Link
madmaninc

???

Tried it...comes up and says that the source drive and the destination drive are on the same IDE cable...will create possible errors...continue?

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU, 1gig PC2100 DDR Ram, Windows XP Home,(1)80gig WD HD, (2)20gig WD HD's USB External, TDK Indi 8X Dual Format DVD Burner, LG 16X DVD Rom, Asus A7N266VM Mainboard, 64mb nVidiaGeForce2 Integrated Video Card, nVidia nForce MCP Audio Card w/Dolby Pro Logic, Avermedia EZDVD Maker PCI Card,(2)Subs & (6)Speakers, & (1) 150lb. Rotweiller Named Zeus....get the picture?
Old 12th March 2004, 10:58   #4  |  Link
Dimmer

If you select DVD Copy option in Nero, be sure to uncheck the option On the fly. It will copy the files to HDD first to prevent errors.

Alternatively, you can copy VIDEO_TS folder manually from the source DVD to HDD in Windows explorer, and then burn it in DVD-Video mode in Nero. Just drop VIDEO_TS from the explorer panel into the compilation.

Come to think of it, you don't really get any advantage of having a second DVD-ROM drive. You can do it all with your burner alone using either of the two methods.
Dimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2004, 01:44   #5  |  Link
madmaninc

Yeah, but...

I was really looking for a way to not have to go back to my pc every 1/2 hour to change a disc out...really the only reason I was concerned.

Old 16th March 2004, 16:34   #6  |  Link
atreides93

I've used Dvdshrink to copy from one drive to the next and they're both on the same IDE channel. No problems at all...that should solve your problem. If the movie is already "backed up" once, it should need no recompression and dvdshrink won't do anything to it but copy it.
atreides93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2004, 17:51   #7  |  Link
madmaninc

really?

I'll have to give that a try...thanks!