Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 7th January 2004, 23:10   #1  |  Link
KpeX

Comments on the new Audio FAQ

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on the new Audio FAQ please post them here. I don't have time to research it right now but I couldn't figure out how to get post linking working so for now there are no links in the first post.

The Audio FAQ now features the original Audio FAQ merged with the AC3 and AAC FAQs, and the questions have been more organized. Hopefully this will be helpful to all.
KpeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004, 00:45   #2  |  Link
Wilbert

Very cool!

About DTS faq:

Quote:
Yes, a few ripping tools such as VOBrator, VobEdit,vStrip and DVD2AVI can demux DTS streams.
It is recommended to not use vStrip to demux your DTS streams. It cripples the DTS streams (it adds some bytes to the stream/header, while it shouldn't, or something like that). The relevant thread can be found in the dev. forum.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004, 01:46   #3  |  Link
KpeX

Thanks for that info, Wilbert. I'd appreciate any DTS corrections by you or anyone else, DTS is not an area that I have any expertise in or use much. Would you like a link to your DTS guide added to the FAQ?
Old 8th January 2004, 09:41   #4  |  Link
bond

great idea!

tough i still miss the aac faq, hope you didnt forget it

btw about direct post linking, it works like this:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...234#post424234

to find out the postid value simply move with the mouse over the "edit" or the "quote" button, this will display the id of each post

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004, 13:21   #5  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
Would you like a link to your DTS guide added to the FAQ?
Sure!

Quote:
to find out the postid value simply move with the mouse over the "edit" or the "quote" button, this will display the id of each post
Damn, why didn't anyone tell me this before
Old 8th January 2004, 15:21   #6  |  Link
KpeX

@Wilbert

Done.

@bond

AAC FAQ is integrated now.

Quote:
I know how to post-link like that, what I wanted to do is just link to the #post'whatever' so that it jumps to the post without reloading the page and opening in a new window. If it was html I'd just use
Code:
<a href=#post424070>
but I can't find a way to do that with vB code; vB wants to put a http:// in front of the link.

Last edited by KpeX; 8th January 2004 at 15:24.
Old 8th January 2004, 17:22   #7  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
4. Is it possible to encode DTS with BeSweet?

Yes, but you'll also need Surcode CD/DVD Pro. Please see Q32 of the Besweet FAQ.
I'm sure you know it, but Surcode produces dtswav and not dts. It can be converted to normal dts with besplit/bespliced, but you put that already in the faq

In order to use the dtswav directshow filter (by Hypercube), you have to rename the extension from wav (what surcode produces) to dtswav (and of course register the filter).
Old 8th January 2004, 18:07   #8  |  Link
Jukke

403 Forbidden

Hi,
In the second post "General Audio Procedures FAQ", at question 16 Please post a list of the most recommended winamp plugins, the third link (http://www.blorp.com/~peter/zips/in_vorbis.exe) returns a 403 Forbidden to me.
Perhaps it is just on my machine it happens, but you might check the link to see if it works for you.
Jukke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004, 18:13   #9  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by KpeX
AAC FAQ is integrated now.
i rewrote the first part of question 3 as it is a little bit confusing i guess, it should be clearly seperated what is a codec and what are apps using this codec

feel free to use my proposal:

FAAC (Free Advanced Audio Coder) free and open source LC-AAC [Commandline, DirectShow (3ivx), foobar, CoolEdit]
Apple's AAC: only CBR atm, doesnt handle multichannel [Quicktime Pro, iTunes] iTunes uses the same codec but is freely available
PsyTEL's AACENC, dont use it for multichannel as it produces wrong channel mapped files! [Commandline, AACMachine (GUI using BeSweet) ]
Dicas' Compaact AAC encoder
Sorenson's AAC Encoder

The results of the public listening test conducted by rjamorim, comparing these AAC codecs at 128kbps are available here

maybe you also want to add again that it is possible to join *.aac files with dos commandline but not *.mp4 files

Quote:
I know how to post-link like that, what I wanted to do is just link to the #post'whatever' so that it jumps to the post without reloading the page and opening in a new window. If it was html I'd just use
Code:
<a href=#post424070>
but I can't find a way to do that with vB code; vB wants to put a http:// in front of the link.
ic, yes this would be great!
perhaps ask doom9 or swede about if this is possible, if not i would use the linking way i proposed as it is better than nothing and it makes it easier if someone wants to link to a specific faq (via copy paste)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jukke
Please post a list of the most recommended winamp plugins[/I], the third link (http://www.blorp.com/~peter/zips/in_vorbis.exe) returns a 403 Forbidden to me.
you dont have to download this anymore, in_vorbis is available in winamp already by default

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis

Last edited by bond; 8th January 2004 at 18:18.
Old 8th January 2004, 18:27   #10  |  Link
Jukke

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
you dont have to download this anymore, in_vorbis is available in winamp already by default
Then the link to in_vorbis could be removed from the FAQ, don't you think?
Jukke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004, 18:36   #11  |  Link
KpeX

@Wilbert

DTS Q4 and Q6 updated, thanks again .

@Juke

Thanks for noting that. Vorbis is supported now, so the link has been removed.

@bond

Quote:
feel free to use my proposal
I did, and listed it. Thanks.
Quote:
maybe you also want to add again that it is possible to join *.aac files with dos commandline but not *.mp4 files
I felt it would be simpler and better for newbs to leave this out, especially since BeSplit will do the job quite well.
Old 8th January 2004, 21:04   #12  |  Link
bond

Quote:
I felt it would be simpler and better for newbs to leave this out, especially since BeSplit will do the job quite well.
hm i wonder if its easier cause in both ways you will need dos commandline, but in the mentioned way you also need additionally the besplit tool...

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 8th January 2004, 22:48   #13  |  Link
KpeX

Quote:
hm i wonder if its easier cause in both ways you will need dos commandline, but in the mentioned way you also need additionally the besplit tool...
True. Are there any limitations of the copy /b method? Does it work for VBR or HE or any other kind of weird AAC file you can come up with?
Old 9th January 2004, 11:35   #14  |  Link
bond

according to menno there are no troubles when muxing raw aac, aac with adts header, plain he-aac (of course also not with vbr) files with dos commandline

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 9th January 2004, 15:27   #15  |  Link
KpeX

Quote:
according to menno there are no troubles when muxing raw aac, aac with adts header, plain he-aac (of course also not with vbr) files with dos commandline
Thanks again bond, it's back in the AAC FAQ Q10.
Old 10th January 2004, 00:00   #16  |  Link
Stux

I would expect you'd want the two files to be of the same type

for example, same channel layout, same samplerate and same profile
Old 9th February 2004, 22:35   #17  |  Link
Eye of Horus
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for that info, Wilbert. I'd appreciate any DTS corrections by you or anyone else, DTS is not an area that I have any expertise in or use much. Would you like a link to your DTS guide added to the FAQ?
Addition : Smartripper also demuxes DTS.

And this sentence can lead to wrong conclusions :
"Also imagine transcoding a DTS file to lower bitrates (eg. 1536kbps -> 448kbps) in order to conserve space but maintain the DTS format and quality"

Lowering to 448kbps will never maintain the quality !!

grtz,

Eye of Horus
Eye of Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2004, 22:44   #18  |  Link
KpeX

Question edited. Most of the DTS section is from Matter's old AC3 FAQ, and as you can tell by quotes like that, there is definitely some DTS zealotry going on.

I think what he meant is that when transcoding to a different format the quality will be better than an AC3 source, but the statement was misleading, and may not even be accurate.

IMO the DTS is superior to AC3 phenomenon is one of the major misconceptions of multichannel audio. For example, you don't hear many users insisting that VCD MP2 audio is higher quality than MP3 audio just because it uses twice the bitrate.

Thanks for that correction, EoH.
Old 5th April 2004, 12:41   #19  |  Link
bond

the links to some faac plugins changed:
the cool edit plugin is now available here
the foobar plugin here

also you maybe want to add to the quicktime encoder "Qutibacoas" as a Commandline, (which uses the quicktime encoder dlls, like nencoder does with nero)

also maybe important to mention is that to encode to he-aac with real you have to dl the aac addon package from here, by default real doesnt support he-aac

and winamp5 has joined the list of available aac encoders

and last but not least you maybe want to merge question 9 and 23, or at least place 23 after 9 to keep the extension questions together
also its important to mention that winamp5 and realplayer gold now encode to .m4a by default

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 5th April 2004, 16:05   #20  |  Link
alexnoe
Banned

Quote:
AAC files are raw AAC data streams, whereas MP4 is a container format of the MPEG4 standard which can contain AAC streams and many other things
AAC files usually use ADTS packing.
RAW aac files cannot be processed without decoding them...
alexnoe is offline   Reply With Quote