Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 27th August 2003, 09:33   #1  |  Link
silver_cpu

Bizzarre authoring causes havoc in the ripping/demuxing process

Alright, I'm going to try to explain my problem here, and I hope that someone will recognise what's going on.

I just recently bought off of ebay (yeah, I know it's from malasia) a copy of "full metal panic," a rather good anime series. It's on four DVDs which play normally on both my computer and my set-top dvd player. However...

When I started up robot4rip, it did not detect any audio streams. I thought this odd, since as I said it played fine (with clean sound) on both of the players. I also tried various methods of ripping in DVD Decrypter, but nothing seems to capture the audio, which DVD2AVI reports as "linear PCM," similar to a CD. DVD Decrypter does detect the audio stream, and so I've tried to rip just that, using stream processing. Gives me this funky VOB file that can't be demuxed.

This is the first DVD in nearly two dozen that I haven't been able to rip, and this seems really odd to me. If anyone can figure out what's going on (and yeah I agree the chinese anime imports are total hack jobs), please let me know. If there's anything I can do to clarify, I will, just ask.

Thanks so much!

Edit: after some work, I'm able to use stream processing to get the video and audio onto my hdd, as a VOB file, and the VOB file plays fine if I run it through PowerDVD. However, even though DVD2AVI seems to detect the audio, it still won't demux it from the video when I create a project.

Edit 2: FWIW, here's the stream info as detected by DVD Decrypter:

0x20 - Subtitle - Chinese / LBA: 1547 / PTS: 00:00:04.170 / Delay: 3870ms
0x21 - Subtitle - English / LBA: 1550 / PTS: 00:00:04.170 / Delay: 3870ms
0xA0 - Audio - LPCM / 2ch / 48kHz / 16bit / Japanese / LBA: 121 / PTS: 00:00:00.467 / Delay: 166ms
0xE0 - Video - MPEG-2 / 720x480 (NTSC) / 4:3 / LBA: 1 / PTS: 00:00:00.300 / Delay: 0ms

Last edited by silver_cpu; 27th August 2003 at 09:47.
silver_cpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 13:45   #2  |  Link
LIGHTNING UK!
Author of ImgBurn

How exactly do you want the pcm stream? as part of the vob or as a WAV file?
Old 27th August 2003, 17:23   #3  |  Link
silver_cpu

Either way is useable, the WAV file will make fewer steps for me, but complete in the VOB file would be fine as well, since DVD2AVI should be able to demux the streams.

In any case, is this still the correct forum for this? Maybe it needs to go in DVD2AVI, since I know now that I can get the video and audio streams onto my hdd without too much difficulty, even though I can't demux them. Yet.

Edit: upon further thought, I need it in WAV form. I'm going to be encoding it to MP3. DVD Decrypter handles the extraction just fine, and I get the VOB file with the video and audio on my hdd, and I can play this in any dvd playing software (as I've stated), but I can't seem to separate the audio from the video, either during the ripping process, or during the demuxing stage.

Edit2: However, as part of the VOB, it could be used as any other VOB file, making things much easier for people (like me) who are relatively new to the DVD ripping process, and just want to follow the easy guide on Doom9.

Last edited by silver_cpu; 27th August 2003 at 17:28.
Old 28th August 2003, 08:19   #4  |  Link
LIGHTNING UK!
Author of ImgBurn

Well you can demux it during the ripping stage if you just enable stream processing, highlight the stream in question and then hit the dmeux radiobutton.
Those options are on a per stream basis so you'll need to do it for all of the ones you want to demux.
Old 28th August 2003, 16:45   #5  |  Link
silver_cpu

I've tried that. When I demux with stream processing, I get a VOB file for the audio, which has no audio and can't be demuxed (as far as I know). Is there any information I can give you that would be helpful?
Old 28th August 2003, 21:44   #6  |  Link
LIGHTNING UK!
Author of ImgBurn

If you get a vob, it means you're not doing it right!
You must highlight each stream in turn and hit demux.
You'll get a WAV file for a pcm stream if you've done it correctly.
AC3 for AC3, DTS for DTS, M2V for the video etc etc.
Old 29th August 2003, 03:04   #7  |  Link
silver_cpu

LIGHTNING UK: you are a gem! WAV extracted Thank you so much, this is exactly what I needed. I wonder why it wouldn't decrypt/demux it in the normal fashion? Now: is there any way to tell what the delay would be? Or is there any need to take that into account, since it's a direct stream demux?

Edit: nm, I'm a silly boy, your most excellent program gives me this lovely little .txt file with all the info I need

Last edited by silver_cpu; 29th August 2003 at 03:07.
Old 29th August 2003, 06:56   #8  |  Link
silver_cpu

Let me reiterate:

YOUR PROGRAM ROCKS MY BALLS!!!!!!

Aahem...I was just working with it some when it dawned upon me how much work, thought, and testing went into DVD Decryptor's development. I say this rarely: you should be very, very proud of yourself. This project has opened my eyes to the power of your simple but fantastic program. Thank you!!!!

PS: in case you're wondering what elicited this response, I realized that with stream processing I could not only get the demuxed audio and video, but also the subtitle streams...man, what a wonderful program. You even make sense of the worst malasian bootleg!
Old 29th August 2003, 08:42   #9  |  Link
LIGHTNING UK!
Author of ImgBurn

Thanks for your kind words!

Yeah a lot of time and effort has gone into making DVD Decrypter what it is today. Im glad someone appreciates it.
Old 29th August 2003, 09:19   #10  |  Link
silver_cpu

Gad! Lol..I still can't seem to get things working properly. Now it's trouble with subtitles. I can get them to decrypt properly, but I can't seem to do anything with them. I've tried just decryptinc as a regular stream, demuxing, and raw extraction...I'm sure my DVD-ROM is hating me by now. I don't know what to do. In any case, I'll keep trying and keep you posted, this is the most bizarre and frankly frustrating DVD I've ever encountered..maybe I'll make sense of it soon. In any case, I'm glad I have good tools (developed with the blood and sweat of the DVD development scene over the past year) to work with...without them, this scalp-balding process would be impossible.
Old 29th August 2003, 19:35   #11  |  Link
LIGHTNING UK!
Author of ImgBurn

Ahhh subs have never worked. It demuxes the stream ok, you just cant do anything with a subtitle stream! You seem to need some form of index file with timings etc.

Use subrip, vobsub or whatever its called for those!
Old 29th August 2003, 19:58   #12  |  Link
silver_cpu

OK, good to know I'm not doing something wrong. Will there ever be support for this in the future? DVD Decrypter got the subtitle stream off the DVD faster than most subtitle rippers, and I'd like to use it if for nothing more than to save my DVD-ROM (and my own time). FWIW, most subtitle rippers give you the SUB file (the stream itself), and then provide an *.idx file as well. This seems to be all you're lacking.

Edit: FWIW, I did figure out (I think, this last encode hasn't finished yet) the process to getting a proper encode with this DVD set.

1) Decrypt the entire thing as normal with Robot4Rip, with subtitles enabled (or DVD Decrypter and then VobSub the decrypted VOB file). Do not process the video stream by itself (to an M2V file), for some reason it gets a livelock in encoding each time. If you didn't decrypt/process with Robot4Rip, run DVD2AVI on the VOB file, and you'll get a d2v project (but no audio).

2) After you have the VOB file, the d2v project and the .sub & .idx files, you'll want to get the audio. You cannot demux this from the VOB file on your hdd with DVD2AVI (I'm not sure why, that doesn't make much sense to me). I'm guessing this may be because the DVD uses LPCM (WAV) instead of AC3 for it's audio. Blame the crappy importers. Anyway, DVD Decrypter can recognise this stream without diffuculty, so you use the stream processing to get the audio from that. Fortunately, DVD Decrypter gives you a lovely title in the audio which even tells GK the delay and what you're working with.

3) Use the files as normal now.

I guess a great feature request for DVD2AVI would be for the ability to demux DTS and PCM streams, rather than just AC3. But then, that's a rarity and probably not high in demand.

Last edited by silver_cpu; 31st August 2003 at 18:17.