Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 8th January 2003, 20:10   #1  |  Link
ElAguila

rempeg and signs error

I was trying to backup Signs and keep the menus. I would like to fit it on one disc so I saw that it was too big. On K-19 I had no trouble using rempeg to re-encode with a lower bitrate. I was trying to do the same with Signs. When rempeg starts reading the vob's before re-encoding, it gets to 98% and crashes everytime. I was using a list file. It creates another file with the same name as the list file but with a different extension(vinf). If I try it again without deleting that file, I get an error message that says resolution not supported. Anyone have any ideas what this means. I have tmpgenc that I could use but I don't know what settings to use as far as the video arrange method. I know the source is 16:9 (NTSC). That and the mainconcept encoder are the only 2 I am familiar with. The rempeg worked fine in the past. After the rempeg crashes I open the ccfl file again without deleting the vinf file and this is the error in the error log

Unsupported resolution 0 X 21167276...

Last edited by ElAguila; 8th January 2003 at 20:54.
ElAguila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2003, 08:17   #2  |  Link
ElAguila

work around

I found a work around that worked pretty good. There are 5 vob's that contain the movie. I transcoded only the first 4. This made them small enough so that they and the menu items would fit on 1 dvd and still have high quality. The only thing not working right is the last 2 chapters if you access them from the scene selection. I guess that is not bad considering the trouble I had.
Old 9th January 2003, 15:32   #3  |  Link
ElAguila

any ideas

Well I thought I had a fix for Signs. Everything looks good but the last 2 chapters don't play. The music continues for these chapters but the video freezes on the playback at the end of chapter 19(there are 21 total). Any ideas what causes this and how to fix it?
Old 9th January 2003, 19:01   #4  |  Link
mike4692

I havent done this movie , but rempeg will fall on its arse with certain movies.You should try to do it with cce 2.50 , there are good guides out there that are easy to follow, rempeg will let you down and you will get pissed off with it. Its very easy to use but it takes a long time to re-encode
Old 9th January 2003, 19:19   #5  |  Link
ElAguila

error

I realized what I did that caused the error. If you are going to do some of the vobs (in my case all but the last), you need to do them individually. I did 4 together and remuxed them and that was why i lost the video in the last vob. I the 4 vob's individually and things came out great.
Old 10th January 2003, 05:31   #6  |  Link
rauly31

I had the same exact problem as you ElAguila. I'm to this but I have managed to backup a few 1:1 DVD's using the same CFFL File. It worked fine until I tried to backup Signs. I did what you suggested and transcoded them individually. When I transcoded VOB5 individually, ReMpeg crashed again. Did this happen to you? I have never backed up any of my movies this way, and was wondering if you could suggest to me how to proceed from this point forward. I welcome any suggestions.
rauly31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2003, 06:59   #7  |  Link
ElAguila

vob5

I did not transcode vob5. I adjusted the % on the others so I would not have to. 78-80% will do the trick and you won't notice the quality loss. There is something about vob5 that rempeg does not like.
Old 13th January 2003, 18:21   #8  |  Link
Sincity

The simplest way is the use VOBsplit. I only saved the movie and audio. No subs or foreign language streams. The problem seems to be the last VOB that causes the crashes. I just type "SIGNS" and found a method that works: VOBsplit. I just split the credits out and burned with NERO. No need to use REMPEG on this one.
Sincity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2003, 03:10   #9  |  Link
redcell35

burning signs after vobsplit

When you cut off the part of the last vob did you get an allocation error in NERO. IF so did you burn anyways or do you have to do something with the last vob after you chop it. I am ready to burn but it gives me a warning that allocation is wrong and I know it is because I chopped part of the last vob. It plays fine in powerdvd.
Thanks
redcell35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2003, 05:09   #10  |  Link
gonefishin

I had the same problem with Signs and ReMPEG. The error log file said "Unsupported Resolution". So, I used TMPGEnc instead. It didn't complain.
Old 16th January 2003, 00:55   #11  |  Link
dud_bud

I had the same problem w/ Signs so I tried the VOBSPLIT method and transcoding only one VOB file method at 80% (you don't need to do any more than that to shrink the DVD to under 4.36). I had the reallocation error with NERO so I used IMGTOOLS instead to burn the disc w/out the reallocation (uncheck "Reallocate Video TS Structure). Burned it to Fuji DVD+R and it plays well in both my standalones. I decided to use the VOBSPLIT method above for the final burn and just cut of the end credits (about half of the last VOB). VOBSPLIT and IMGTOOLS are both quick downloads and so easy to use that even an idiot Newbie like me can figure it out. -oh yeah, make sure if you use VOBSPLIT and put the split file back in your folder that you u use IFOEDIT to make it all region free and get VTS sectors before burning, and don't ignore NERO's reallocation error and burn anyway or you'll have another coaster just I did at first.

Last edited by dud_bud; 16th January 2003 at 01:03.
dud_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2003, 04:41   #12  |  Link
rauly31

After experiencing the same problems as everyone above, I was finally able to backup my "Signs" movie. Here is what I did.

I used IfoEdit and stripped everything except Audio 1 and SubPicture 1 (only kept English sub-titles)

Next I used VobSplit and cut off the ending credits. I used "size to copy" of 251008000 bytes as my cutoff. This allowed me to fit all VOB on 1 disk.

I used ImgTool to burn the backup. Make sure you uncheck Reallocate VIDEO_TS Structure. I don't know why but Nero won't burn it.

The backup works perfect on all stand alone players.
Old 16th January 2003, 18:28   #13  |  Link
redcell35

signs error

On my backup I got it to burn after using vobsplit but the last chapter got all pixilated. so I don't know if that was something with using vobsplit that did this. The strange thing was it played fine on powerdvd (checked before i burned) I burned it two times and got the same result (thought something was wrong with the media)-used 2 different types of media. anyways.
If I understand this correct. I should rip movie down to just audio english and movie. Run through IFOedit. Take last vob after IFOEDIT and run with DVDSPLIT. Make Region Free,get vts sectors then burn with IMGTOOL. I willl give it a try

Does anyone think that using vobsplit could have made it pixillated on the final burn and not on the preview.
redcell35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2003, 23:43   #14  |  Link
rauly31

I'm not exactly sure if VobSplit is was caused the pixilation, but my backup works fine. Give it a shot again.