Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th December 2002, 00:00   #1  |  Link
d_1981

DVD compliant resolutions

Hi all,

I've been reading thru these forums trying to find an answer but i unfortunatly cannot. The problem is that I am capturing vhs and trying to convert it to dvd. I capture the tapes at 352x480 and then resize down to 352x240, this i have found gives me the best quality when converting to dvd because it retains all of the vhs signal and does not introduce interlacing.

Anyways, my problem is that if I encode a dvd with the same resolution (352x240) it will play in a dvd player, but it stutters and pauses every few seconds. Were as if i encoded it with the exact same settings (using tmpgenc), except having the resolution at 720x480 it plays just fine. My question is then,is this normal for a player to do that at that resolution? Or should i try encoding at 352x480 because i have heard in the forums that this is a compatible dvd resolution, my only problem would be getting the aspect ratio from 352x240 to look right at 352x480. I am not trying to make a svcd or anything like that I have a dvd recorder (sony 500a) and I am trying to make compatible dvd discs only I would like to stay at this resolution because it saves space, encodes MUCH faster, and there is no point in increasing the resolution of these vhs tapes.

Thanks
d_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote