Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th November 2002, 04:14   #1  |  Link
SansGrip
Noise is your friend

FluxSmooth

Here's a new spatio-temporal smoother I wrote today based on ideas that came to me developing NoMoSmooth.

The source code is available. Here's the description from the documentation:

Quote:
One of the fundamental properties of noise is that it's random. One of the fundamental properties of motion is that it's not. This is the premise behind FluxSmooth, which examines each pixel and compares it to the corresponding pixel in the previous and last frame. Smoothing occurs if both the previous frame's value and the next frame's value are greater, or if both are less, than the value in the current frame.

I like to call this a "fluctuating" pixel, then I like to wipe that pixel from existence by averaging it with its neighbours. This is (by default) done in a spatio-temporal manner, in that for each fluctuating pixel its 8 immediate spatial neighbours as well as its 2 temporal neighbours (the abovementioned corresponding pixel from the previous and next frames) are considered for inclusion in the average. If the value of each pixel is within the specified threshold, it is included. If not, it isn't.

This filter seems to remove almost all noise from low-noise sources (such as DVD) and a lot of noise from high-noise sources (such as cable TV captures), while maintaining a good amount of detail.

The speed at which it operates depends upon the amount of noise in the clip.
As usual your mileage may vary. This filter is unrelated to flux capacitors, which enable one to travel temporally.

source: http://www.kvcd.net/sansgrip/avisynth/

latest version: http://bengal.missouri.edu/~kes25c/FluxSmooth-1.1b.zip

Last edited by Wilbert; 10th November 2006 at 21:43.
SansGrip is offline   Reply With Quote