Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VapourSynth

Old 31st July 2019, 02:38   #3481  |  Link
littlepox

Why is that even a concern?

Encoders typically encode the video in a percentage of that 4000 fps speed. If you are talking about difference between avs/vs to the actual encoding, it is becoming a basis point.

For a 1 hour encode you save not more than 10 seconds.

It might be the way avs/vs fetching and caching the data.
It might be the advantage that avs is C++ compiled while vs is dependent on Python, which in turn depends on the explainator.
It might be ... wait I'm wasting too much time than that 10 seconds.

VapourSynth is powerful for many reasons, but raw speed on absolutely simplest script doesn't fall into the list.

Last edited by littlepox; 31st July 2019 at 02:45.
littlepox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2019, 21:33   #3482  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

R47 RC1

Test it so it's stable. Especially the makediff/mergediff/merge/maskedmerge filters since they were converted to intrinsics from asm.

64bits
32bits

Changes:
Code:
fixed a crash in vdecimate when both dryrun and clip2 is set (no1d)
updated zimg to 2.9.2 to fix a crash that would happen on certain invalid input combinations
improved message handler api and core info api
removed dependency on nasm
various installer improvements including a warning if the vs2019 runtimes aren't installed
Old 4th August 2019, 22:20   #3483  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

R47 has been released. The usual blog post here.
Old 7th August 2019, 15:48   #3484  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrsloik
You should never have put things in the vapoursynth subdir. That was reserved for VS and nothing else. Make your own directory if you want to do things that way or simply let VSRepo stuff everything into the right place...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
I think that once it was required to put your .py files containing your own VS functions under site-packages to get them to autoload so you could just import them in your script. It has worked perfectly fine until R46, hence the confusion.
So what is the proper way of doing things in R47?
Old 7th August 2019, 20:52   #3485  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
So what is the proper way of doing things in R47?
Use vsrepo to install things. Then it's always in the right place.
Old 8th August 2019, 04:38   #3486  |  Link
_Al_

Quote:
I think that once it was required to put your .py files containing your own VS functions under site-packages to get them to autoload so you could just import them in your script. It has worked perfectly fine until R46, hence the confusion.
It should still work, it is python thing. Your .py file within site-packages of the same Python version you are running. Then it could be imported as module.
With new Python version installed , you move those files as well. So organize it well, always gather them in one directory, like site-packages/vapoursynth/.

I do not know where vsrepo puts those .py files, maybe somewhere else, into AppData.

Last edited by _Al_; 8th August 2019 at 04:40.
_Al_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 07:34   #3487  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
It should still work, it is python thing. Your .py file within site-packages of the same Python version you are running. Then it could be imported as module.
With new Python version installed , you move those files as well. So organize it well, always gather them in one directory, like site-packages/vapoursynth/.

I do not know where vsrepo puts those .py files, maybe somewhere else, into AppData.
I thought so as well, but it doesn't work. The exact same Python version installed (3.7.3) and Vapoursynth R45 works but R47 doesn't.

Using VSRepo is fine, but my own custom .py files need to be taken care of as well and the problem lies there.
Old 8th August 2019, 23:25   #3488  |  Link
_Al_

For example put just that line into your script:
import os
That would mean you can import standard library modules but not yours? Seems odd. Or it still pulls from somewhere else than you think.
Maybe domain conflict? For example you cannot name your module as subprocess.py, because there is already standard library modul named subprocess, I did it once and error message was not particularly clear about that.
_Al_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 02:25   #3489  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
I thought so as well, but it doesn't work. The exact same Python version installed (3.7.3) and Vapoursynth R45 works but R47 doesn't.

Using VSRepo is fine, but my own custom .py files need to be taken care of as well and the problem lies there.
I just upgraded, and it complained something about python not being installed for all users

Short version - I reinstalled python for all users now, but it's in a different location now; so that's where you have to copy over the scripts to the new site-packages location . When you install for "all users" it's Program Files => Python37 => Lib => site-packages (at least on Windows , for x64)
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 04:49   #3490  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

The only easy way to make it work was to use the folder which VSRepo uses (%appdata%\Roaming\Python\Python37\site-packages). I've had Python installed in that mentioned directory under Program Files for a long time now but I don't know why it stopped working now.
Old 12th August 2019, 05:13   #3491  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
The only easy way to make it work was to use the folder which VSRepo uses (%appdata%\Roaming\Python\Python37\site-packages). I've had Python installed in that mentioned directory under Program Files for a long time now but I don't know why it stopped working now.
At least you have a workaround . The site-packages in the Program Files seems works for me, but my old Vapoursynth Plugins64 directory changed to the AppData\Roaming\VapourSynth\plugins64 directory . Not sure why all the changes.
Old 12th August 2019, 15:06   #3492  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
At least you have a workaround . The site-packages in the Program Files seems works for me, but my old Vapoursynth Plugins64 directory changed to the AppData\Roaming\VapourSynth\plugins64 directory . Not sure why all the changes.
1. It never changed. There's always been a per user directory for plugins but people on doom9 hate the idea of not manually stuffing things into program files. That's still doable if you want to though.

2. Unprivileged installs. Try reading the changelog. Program files isn't writable for everyone.
Old 13th August 2019, 15:59   #3493  |  Link
Txico

Sorry to ask this here, I haven't seen it anywhere else. So ... HELP!

Where can I get Vapoursynth packages? Ubuntu PPAs is not active any more and doesn't seem to be any viable alternative...
I already tried to compile it myself, but after compiling from sources zimg and vapoursynth R47.1, after solving the Python environmental variable (In Ubuntu Python 3.7 is not in the same place), now I can't load the ffsm2 plug-in. I tried to download and compile it myself, but I don't know where to copy the plug-in, or which file it is ... ffmsindex is working from that sources after "make install", but don't know where the plug-in is or goes.
Something as simple as:

import vapoursynth as vs
core = vs.get_core()
video = core.ffms2.Source(source="Lol.mp4")
video.set_output()

returns me using vspipe: "AttributeError: No attribute with the name ffms2 exists. Did you mistype a plugin namespace?"

Something I forget in the vapoursynth compilation?
Txico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 16:47   #3494  |  Link
Selur

Have you tried explicitly loading the plugin?
Code:
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="path to ffms library")
Old 13th August 2019, 18:16   #3495  |  Link
Txico

Yep! That solved it!

So, Ubuntu is installing everything in the wrong places or Vapoursynth is looking always where it shouldn't. Grrrr!
And what about having a working Ubuntu PPA? That will had been so much easy, as it was before! Now I don't have a working vsedit ...
Txico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 20:43   #3496  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txico View Post
Yep! That solved it!

So, Ubuntu is installing everything in the wrong places or Vapoursynth is looking always where it shouldn't. Grrrr!
And what about having a working Ubuntu PPA? That will had been so much easy, as it was before! Now I don't have a working vsedit ...
We're looking for people who will actually maintain linux packages and not just disappear. Applications welcome.
Old 14th August 2019, 07:05   #3497  |  Link
george84

Cannot Install R47

Downloaded
Quote:
VapourSynth64-R47.exe
double click and get Message
Quote:
Setup, Python 3.7 (64-bit) is installed for the current user only. ...
. After clicking OK installation exits.

Uninstalled Python and Python Launcher and reinstalled it. Tried reinstall for
Quote:
All users
as well as not. But still get same message and cannot install.

Running Windows10 with newest updates.

Last edited by george84; 14th August 2019 at 07:10.
george84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 17:52   #3498  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by george84 View Post
Downloaded double click and get Message . After clicking OK installation exits.

Uninstalled Python and Python Launcher and reinstalled it. Tried reinstall for as well as not. But still get same message and cannot install.

Where did you get Python ? MS STORE ?

According to this

Quote:
PYTHON FROM THE MS STORE DOES NOT WORK
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...22#post1878822
Old 14th August 2019, 19:20   #3499  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by george84 View Post
Downloaded double click and get Message . After clicking OK installation exits.

Uninstalled Python and Python Launcher and reinstalled it. Tried reinstall for as well as not. But still get same message and cannot install.

When installing Python via "official" installer, it is very important to select "Customize installation", not "Install now"

Then, skip over the "Optional Features" page that comes next (you can keep defaults here) and, on the "Advanced Options" page, be sure to enable the "Install for all users" option.

If you installed Python before and missed to do this, then you'll have to uninstall first and then install again.

(Also be sure to download and use the "Windows x86-64 executable installer" of Python, if you intend to use VapourSynth64. The Python website tries to trick you into downloading the "x86" version)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 14th August 2019 at 19:29.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 05:26   #3500  |  Link
george84

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
When installing Python via "official" installer, it is very important to select "Customize installation", not "Install now"
Thank you. This worked.
george84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speed, vaporware, vapoursynth