Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th June 2019, 17:01   #56541  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsdyke View Post
Try D3D11 - Automatic/Native in LAV VideoDecoder and from what I read here 'maximum performance' is not recommend. Try 'balanced'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
940MX is used for decoding (see settings window of active LAV Video instance)? According to Wikipedia 940MX is only VP6/Feature Set E, i.e. no good HEVC 10 bit decoding. Or are there more variants? i3-7100u (Kaby Lake) can do it, though.

Next thing is rendering via madvr. Create an empty folder called "ShowRenderSteps" in the madvr folder. Activate madVR OSD (ctrl+j), make a screenshot and post it here.
I have reinstalled to the latest madVR and LAV Filters. I have change to default values both softwares and change LAV Video Decoder to D3D11 - Automatic/Native and now I have frame drops only on the launching of movie file and after few seconds there are no more frame drops. When I set LAV Video Decoder other then D3D11 I have frame drops. When I set D3D11 and other then Automatic/Native let say: NVIDIA 940MX or Intel 620 I have also frame drops, so the only one setting works for me Automatic/Native.

I don't know, why automatic exlusive mode is not working and why there is 8bit stated in madVR statistics.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
VAMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 17:08   #56542  |  Link
brad86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
The first screenshot is exactly the same in the SDR version. This kind of thing should be checked before blaming the conversion to SDR. As for the problems of oversaturation, there's not much you can do ATM apart from adjusting the color settings on your TV.
Hi. I have managed to check on a HDR display today, and I can say for certain that this DOES NOT happen.

There IS indeed an issue with the conversion, or setting somewhere, so I am still looking for help with this as my first post says.
brad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 17:36   #56543  |  Link
madjock

@brad86

Since you are a long time lurker, do you not think more info from your side would help.

Graphics Card/Driver
Version of MadVR, are you using the latest Beta for HDR to SDR as it is still only Beta testing on it at the moment.

Sounds to me like an "overblown reds" if its an ATI card, but since you don't give any info apart from this is broke, please fix it, with no more input from your side,

There a lots of settings in the later Testing builds here, but as I said, they are still testing it, so there may be issues along the way still.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...ector-201.html
Old 13th June 2019, 17:57   #56544  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad86 View Post
Hi. I have managed to check on a HDR display today, and I can say for certain that this DOES NOT happen.

There IS indeed an issue with the conversion, or setting somewhere, so I am still looking for help with this as my first post says.
Evil Dead 2 Remastered BluRay > VLC snapshot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1shc...ew?usp=sharing
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 18:52   #56545  |  Link
brad86

Quote:
Evil Dead 2 Remastered BluRay > VLC snapshot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1shc...ew?usp=sharing
Another conversion error then.
Old 13th June 2019, 18:54   #56546  |  Link
brad86

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
@brad86

Since you are a long time lurker, do you not think more info from your side would help.

Graphics Card/Driver
Version of MadVR, are you using the latest Beta for HDR to SDR as it is still only Beta testing on it at the moment.

Sounds to me like an "overblown reds" if its an ATI card, but since you don't give any info apart from this is broke, please fix it, with no more input from your side,

There a lots of settings in the later Testing builds here, but as I said, they are still testing it, so there may be issues along the way still.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...ector-201.html
Using a GTX 970 latest non-beta MadVR ( tried beta too ) in conjunction with PotPlayer.

This issue is also present in MPV Player.
Old 13th June 2019, 19:02   #56547  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
@Daicon
Save this as *.hlsl and load it in MPC-HC. It just convert the gamut to Rec.709 or DCI-P3. You can edit it as a text file, change the gamut option from the second line to DCI-P3 if you get oversaturation.
Do shaders work with madVR and HDR? They only starts with EVR CP.
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 19:05   #56548  |  Link
madjock

@brad86

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...6#post15712176

Post 208.

You also say another conversion issue when someone showed you a screenshot of the "Bluray Remaster", you are not reading the posts.

To sum up its the UHD, nothing else.

Originally Posted by brad86

And as far as Official/Beta/Testing for HDR to SDR, it has always been a work in progress.

Last edited by madjock; 13th June 2019 at 19:10.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 19:39   #56549  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMU View Post
Do shaders work with madVR and HDR? They only starts with EVR CP.
They work for me on Windows 7 with MPC-HC/BE + madVR or EVR CP.

Daicon said he was on Windows 10 and needed to install DirectX.

Last edited by Alexkral; 13th June 2019 at 20:02.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 20:11   #56550  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMET View Post
I have reinstalled to the latest madVR and LAV Filters. I have change to default values both softwares and change LAV Video Decoder to D3D11 - Automatic/Native and now I have frame drops only on the launching of movie file and after few seconds there are no more frame drops. When I set LAV Video Decoder other then D3D11 I have frame drops. When I set D3D11 and other then Automatic/Native let say: NVIDIA 940MX or Intel 620 I have also frame drops, so the only one setting works for me Automatic/Native.
What you select and what is actually being used might differ (software fallback). To check see what LAV Video settings of active instance state as "Active Decoder: [...]" and "Active Hardware Accelerator: [...]". In madVR OSD the decoding queue indicates whether video decoding is fast enough (queue always full or nearly full) or not (queue low/empty).
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 22:11   #56551  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear sneaker_ger

Quote:
What you select and what is actually being used might differ (software fallback). To check see what LAV Video settings of active instance state as "Active Decoder: [...]" and "Active Hardware Accelerator: [...]". In madVR OSD the decoding queue indicates whether video decoding is fast enough (queue always full or nearly full) or not (queue low/empty).
LAV Video Decoder and...

1. No frames dropped.

Hardware Decoder to use: D3D11
Active Decoder: d3d11 native
Active Hardware Accelerator: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
Hardware Device to use: Automatic (Native)

2. Frames dropped.

Active Decoder: d3d11 cb direct
Active Hardware Accelerator: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
Hardware Device to use: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

3. Frames dropped.

Active Decoder: avcodec
Active Hardware Accelerator: <none>
Hardware Device to use: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

...so what we know more now?

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK

Last edited by VAMET; 13th June 2019 at 22:16.
Old 13th June 2019, 22:20   #56552  |  Link
sneaker_ger

The result is as expected: Kaby Lake can decode the video (fast enough) and with native D3D11 there is no bottleneck copying frames from/to RAM. So with 1. any remaining slowdowns should be because of too demanding madVR processing.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 22:45   #56553  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Deser sneaker_ger

Quote:
The result is as expected: Kaby Lake can decode the video (fast enough) and with native D3D11 there is no bottleneck copying frames from/to RAM. So with 1. any remaining slowdowns should be because of too demanding madVR processing.
Thank you for your fast reply.

So there should be no problem with Intel NUC 8th Generation either? There is Intel Core i5-8259U with Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
Old 13th June 2019, 22:51   #56554  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

With DXVA2 Native or D3D11 Native decoding, and low madVR settings, you can play stuff surprisingly well on NUCs. So yeah, it should be mostly fine. Just don't expect too much from madVR, since the GPU is weak.
Old 14th June 2019, 00:07   #56555  |  Link
Grimsdyke

I would recommend to wait until Q1 of 2020 for Intel's Elkhart Lake with Gen11 Graphics !!!
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/in...ics,38816.html
Grimsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 02:42   #56556  |  Link
juanej

Hi, my player has been crashing lately when I try to play movies from my laptop connected via hdmi to my onkyo receiver, this is my madvr crash report:
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt madVR - crash report.txt (97.9 KB, 43 views)
juanej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 07:24   #56557  |  Link
ryrynz

What troubleshooting have you done?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 10:28   #56558  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
Daicon said he was on Windows 10 and needed to install DirectX.
Yes thank you.
HDR now looks better, but SDR is oversaturated, even with DCI-P3.
And more trouble - the rendering time has increased 2 times (30->60ms) on my Vega8 (Ryzen 3 2200G)
Pic.
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 12:59   #56559  |  Link
Warner306

Try setting calibration to BT.2020. Some AMD drivers do strange things to the color space.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 13:03   #56560  |  Link
Warner306

This was posted at the DSPlayer forum. I'm not certain if it works or will bring back functioning stereoscopic 3D playback to Nvidia, but it might be worth a try:

Manual Installation of 3D Vision Driver with New Nvidia Drivers
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling