Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10th May 2019, 04:39   #1  |  Link
Anima123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 429
Forum ugly under OpenBSD, which fonts used?

Recently I kinda begin switching to OpenBSD. The doom9 forum quite ugly with Firefox, perhaps I need to add some fonts.

Anyone know which fonts are used to present this forum? So I can manage to add corresponding fonts.
Anima123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 05:46   #2  |  Link
HolyWu
Registered User
 
HolyWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
Anyone know which fonts are used to present this forum? So I can manage to add corresponding fonts.
https://forum.doom9.org/clientscript...a199-00001.css
HolyWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 06:08   #3  |  Link
videoh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 715
Or maybe you need to ditch Firefox. Doom9 looks perfectly fine to me.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2019, 00:31   #4  |  Link
york
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
Or maybe you need to ditch Firefox. Doom9 looks perfectly fine to me.
yeah i think so
york is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2019, 12:38   #5  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****
 
wonkey_monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
Or maybe you need to ditch Firefox. Doom9 looks perfectly fine to me.
It's nothing to do with Firefox. It displays the first available font among the fonts specified in the CSS file:

Code:
verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
If the font it ends up using looks "ugly" (though I suspect it's probably more a case of "different") then it's not Firefox's fault.
__________________
My AviSynth filters / I'm the Doctor
wonkey_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2019, 22:47   #6  |  Link
Nematocyst
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 78
Several reasons fonts might look ugly. A screenshot might help determine the issue, or clarify if it's just your idea of aesthetics.

In my experience, ugly fonts outside windows are not usually user taste, but real issues easily corrected.
Nematocyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2019, 01:12   #7  |  Link
qyot27
...?
 
qyot27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey_monkey View Post
It's nothing to do with Firefox. It displays the first available font among the fonts specified in the CSS file:

Code:
verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
If the font it ends up using looks "ugly" (though I suspect it's probably more a case of "different") then it's not Firefox's fault.
Considering all of those fonts are Windows- or macOS-specific until you get to sans-serif, this is exactly it.

http://ports.su/fonts/msttcorefonts

Granted, there's also the fact that the common DEs for *nixen do things like font hinting differently than Windows does, so even installing said fonts won't look exactly as they do on Windows either. But it'll be closer, at any rate.

Last edited by qyot27; 14th May 2019 at 01:15.
qyot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2019, 17:59   #8  |  Link
Nematocyst
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
Considering all of those fonts are Windows- or macOS-specific until you get to sans-serif, this is exactly it.

http://ports.su/fonts/msttcorefonts

Granted, there's also the fact that the common DEs for *nixen do things like font hinting differently than Windows does, so even installing said fonts won't look exactly as they do on Windows either. But it'll be closer, at any rate.
Getting the windows core fonts isn't a bad idea. But often the problem is supporting cleartype, patented by Microsoft. You just have to enable it if that's the issue. See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ixel_rendering

I'm just assuming BSD works similarly.

Having re-read that page, I want to clarify that you probably don't need to compile anything, rather make changes to ~/.fonts.conf (or maybe ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf) and restart your browser.

Last edited by Nematocyst; 15th May 2019 at 06:39. Reason: clarification
Nematocyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.