Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 3rd April 2018, 01:48   #27201  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I recommend you uninstall and reinstall the LAV filters or FFDSHOW (or both depending on what you have installed). Make sure they are ONLY the versions listed in the first post of this thread. Sometimes other software installs can override them and cause sync issues. Other versions can also cause sync issues.
Also... if you really let your dirty dishes pile up, that can cause a pretty serious sink issue too...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 23:39   #27202  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Also... if you really let your dirty dishes pile up, that can cause a pretty serious sink issue too...
Senility is a sad thing, good thing you don't remember
Also
A mind is a terrible thing to waste, guess you don't have much to waste
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 23:55   #27203  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Senility is a sad thing, good thing you don't remember
Also
A mind is a terrible thing to waste, guess you don't have much to waste

Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 10:20   #27204  |  Link
astraub

Yesterday I used BD Rebuilder for the first time to compress a 3D BluRay disk. All worked nicely, but in the final step (conversion to BluRay folder) I found that, that the sw put only the MVC transport stream file in the "STREAMS" folder. Usually I would expect that I have a "ssif" folder and the two transport streams for both eyes. I haven't checked, if this is working, but it made me suspicious. So I used the final transport stream and converted it to a BluRay ISO using TSMuxerGUI. This ended up in a correctly structured and playing ISO.

So now two questions:
- what went wrong in the conversion to BluRay folder step of the process?
- can I only use ISO images as input data, or could I also use a MVC .mkv file?
astraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 11:22   #27205  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraub View Post
Yesterday I used BD Rebuilder for the first time to compress a 3D BluRay disk. All worked nicely, but in the final step (conversion to BluRay folder) I found that, that the sw put only the MVC transport stream file in the "STREAMS" folder. Usually I would expect that I have a "ssif" folder and the two transport streams for both eyes. I haven't checked, if this is working, but it made me suspicious. So I used the final transport stream and converted it to a BluRay ISO using TSMuxerGUI. This ended up in a correctly structured and playing ISO.

So now two questions:
- what went wrong in the conversion to BluRay folder step of the process?
- can I only use ISO images as input data, or could I also use a MVC .mkv file?
What went wrong in conversion to folder? Absolutely nothing.

Bdrb converts the 3d ssif structure to a fully BD standard compliant 'in-mux' 3d structure that DOESNT NEED an ssif structure. Nothing 'suspicious' about it. Studio's just use the ssif method because it makes it harder to make a backup because they're virtual files. You don't have that problem with an 'in-mux' structure.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 11:35   #27206  |  Link
ocean

Quote:
Usually I would expect that I have a "ssif" folder and the two transport streams for both eyes. I haven't checked, if this is working, but it made me suspicious.

Hi, to exit with the SSIF ISO folder, add the command to the bdrebuilder.ini file: OUTPUT_3D_ISO = 1
ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 11:47   #27207  |  Link
astraub

This is very interesting! Thanks a lot for the clarification :-)

Can someone please also help me with the second question? Does it have to be an .ISO image for input, or will a MVC .mkv file also work somehow? That would save an extra conversion step ....

Last edited by astraub; 4th April 2018 at 11:54.
Old 4th April 2018, 16:23   #27208  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

AFAIK BDRB can do movie-only 3D mkv's. You have the option of Over/under (or reverse) SBS (Left/right or reverse) or frame-packed i think, but not all players support frame-packed MKV's, especially since there's no official MKV standard for frame-packed ones.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 18:06   #27209  |  Link
worknstiff

@ ocean; to exit with the SSIF ISO folder, add the command to the bdrebuilder.ini file: OUTPUT_3D_ISO = 1

I added the command to the bdrebuilder.ini file: OUTPUT_3D_ISO = 1, but I still ended up with a folder instead. Wonder why?
worknstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 18:41   #27210  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
.... Does it have to be an .ISO image for input, or will a MVC .mkv file also work somehow? ....
You can convert your 3D .mkv frame-packed source to a 3D Blu-Ray folder structure (with base and dependent .m2ts streams) or to an .iso (ssiff) using TSMuxeR and then continue with BD-RB.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 19:25   #27211  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by worknstiff View Post
@ ocean; to exit with the SSIF ISO folder, add the command to the bdrebuilder.ini file: OUTPUT_3D_ISO = 1

I added the command to the bdrebuilder.ini file: OUTPUT_3D_ISO = 1, but I still ended up with a folder instead. Wonder why?
From HIDDENOPTS.TXT:
Code:
OUTPUT_3D_ISO=n		n = 0/1 - 0=Off (default) - if set to "1", movie-only output is to an ISO rather than a folder
Probably because it only applies to movie-only mode.
Old 4th April 2018, 20:05   #27212  |  Link
worknstiff

@ jdobbs; Probably because it only applies to movie-only mode.

Uhoh, You're right, I had forgotten all about movie only.
worknstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 21:23   #27213  |  Link
astraub

This evening I was testing the different coding results with my 3D Beamer and my Dune HD player.

I found that only the ISO with the ssif file plays in 3D on my player. Unfortunately only the left eye (2D) stream is looking very good. The right eye channel is showing a lot of blocking artifacts (not acceptable). What did I do wrong? Any idea? A quality setting - I was using the defaults? I was using the setup according to the first post (using 2A + 2B setup).

Here is the log:

----------------------
[04.04.18] BD Rebuilder v0.50.25
[09:37:29] Source: DESPICABLE_ME_3D_00800
- Input BD size: 35,63 GB
- Approximate total content: [01:34:41.634]
- Target BD size: 14,65 GB
- Windows Version: 6.2 [9200]
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
- Quality: Good (Very Fast), ABR
- MVC 3D Output Mode enabled
- Decoding/Frame serving: FRIMDecode
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
[09:37:31] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [09:37:31] Processing: VID_00002 (1 of 2)
- [09:37:31] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00002]
- [09:54:09] Reencoding video [VID_00002]
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23,976fps, 76.064 frames
- Bitrate: 18.053 Kbs
- Using FRIMEncoder for MVC encoding
- [09:54:09] Reencoding: VID_00002, Pass 1 of 1
- [11:08:41] Video Encode complete
- [11:08:41] Processing audio tracks
- Track 4352 (eng): Keeping original audio
- Track 4355 (deu): Keeping original audio
- [11:08:41] Processing: VID_00006 (2 of 2)
- [11:08:41] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00006]
- [11:16:54] Reencoding video [VID_00006]
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23,976fps, 60.159 frames
- Bitrate: 17.617 Kbs
- Using FRIMEncoder for MVC encoding
- [11:16:55] Reencoding: VID_00006, Pass 1 of 1
- [12:08:27] Video Encode complete
[12:08:27]PHASE ONE complete
[12:08:27]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
- [12:08:27] Rebuilding BD-3D file Structure
[12:13:02] - Encode and Rebuild complete
[12:13:02] JOB: DESPICABLE_ME_3D finished.

Last edited by astraub; 4th April 2018 at 21:58.
Old 5th April 2018, 09:51   #27214  |  Link
musiclover

Quote:
What did I do wrong?

Here is the log:

----------------------
[04.04.18] BD Rebuilder v0.50.25
[09:37:29] Source: DESPICABLE_ME_3D_00800
- Input BD size: 35,63 GB
- Approximate total content: [01:34:41.634]
- Target BD size: 14,65 GB
Set Target BD size to 23 GB
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 10:04   #27215  |  Link
astraub

So the 15GB are not enough for both transport streams? That is very surprising to me. I would expect it to be more likely that in the calculation of the "delta" stream something went wrong. Anything in the settings (.ini file), which couldbe helpful in this case?

Would it eventually also help to increase the quality setting instead of just the average bitrate? Has someone ever tried the different settings and can tell me what is the "best" setting for minimum file sizes?

Anyway, I will try both and report about the results.
Old 5th April 2018, 10:32   #27216  |  Link
Sharc

Which tool did you use for ripping the Blu-Ray disc?
Does the ripped version (i.e. before encoding) play correctly?
If low file size really matters you should encode SBS using x264 rather than FRIM. Of course your playback infrastructure must support SBS in this case.
Old 5th April 2018, 12:17   #27217  |  Link
astraub

The original ISO is a perfect rip. I want to avoid reducing resolution by using SBS or TOB, but still compress the main movie only as good as possible without losing visible video quality.

Typically a 2D Bluray can easily be compressed to 5-10GB and retain quality (1080p). So 15GB looked reasonable to do this with 2 streams - especially as the second stream is only recorded as delta information.

I understand that FRIM has some serious restrictions in what options it allows to influence encoding quality. But for full frame sequential 3D there is no other option currently. So I will try to find the best encoding option to reduce it to the max - probably at the cost of encoding time, but I have an 8 core Xeon processor, so this should be bearable. Any hints of people who have already tried this would be highly appreciated!

I want to repeat here, that the left eye stream is running in perfect quality, only the right eye stream shows serious block artifacts.

Last edited by astraub; 5th April 2018 at 12:23.
Old 5th April 2018, 13:23   #27218  |  Link
Sharc

Compared to commercial 3D encoders FRIM is less efficient in compressing the dependent stream. The bitrate for your 15GB target size is probably not very comfortable for FRIM depending on the source (noise, details, action scenes...)
You may try with AUTO_BIAS=3 in the .ini and increase the target size to a 25GB disc as already recommended by musiclover, and see what you get.

Edit:
You may also want to unselect "Do not convert DTS to AC3 (Blu-Ray only)" in the Setup Dialog in order to save some bitrate on the Audio and throw it to the Video instead.

But I am still wondering why your AVC (left eye) is perfect quality while your dependent right eye stream shows serious block artifacts.......

Last edited by Sharc; 5th April 2018 at 14:18.
Old 5th April 2018, 14:39   #27219  |  Link
astraub

This is also what I am confused about. Could it be that whatever tool is being used to calculate the differences for the second stream is having a setup/parameter problem? Or is there a reason, why exactly this process generates that much block artifacts? Could this be a rounding/mathematical issue?

Questions .... ;-)
Old 5th April 2018, 16:56   #27220  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
This is also what I am confused about. Could it be that whatever tool is being used to calculate the differences for the second stream is having a setup/parameter problem? Or is there a reason, why exactly this process generates that much block artifacts? Could this be a rounding/mathematical issue?

Questions .... ;-)
Are you using the version of FRIM that comes with BD-RB? If I remember correctly, there was a version (actually the Intel Library DLL, not FRIM itself) a while back that had the issue of artifacts in one of the two stereo frames. I think I even got it myself and corrected it by updating the DLL. It's been a long time, though.