Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd January 2018, 20:34   #48021  |  Link
lvqcl

From this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rd3vil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Support won't come sooner the more you bother devs about it, you know.
Thats EXACTLY the opposite of what I am thinking. You gotta ask and hurry people in every forum around the world
looks like the only way to stop him is ban.
lvqcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 21:16   #48022  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvqcl View Post
looks like the only way to stop him is ban.
Voting for this one...
Always the same few annoying people disturbing the huge reasonable rest of the community.
I´m for freedom of speech but on the other hand for other democratic principles for certain cases.
I´m voting for a ban
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 21:18   #48023  |  Link
brazen1

@Goeggel

HEVC requires hardware decoding unless you have a very strong CPU to assume the decoding. Your GTX 980 does not hardware decode. Your TV plays it because it's not using your GPU. At best you might be forcing HDR to SDR and get it to play something but it isn't ever going to be correct using that GPU. You might be software decoding using your CPU and not even know it.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 21:41   #48024  |  Link
Goeggel

@mytbyte:
  • When playing the demos (TV automatically switching to HDR), next to matrix BT.2020 and primaries BT.2020, it says "(says upstream)".
  • When playing the movies (TV not automatically switching to HDR), next to matrix BT.709 and primaries BT.709, it says "(best guess)".

@brazen1: the CPU seems to be strong enough as it is able to play the demos and the movies without frame drops. With my limited knowledge, it looks as if madVR isn't able to extract the correct metadata from these movie files, while on the other hand the Sony TV app is able to. But that's just a guess.
How can I check whether madVR does a HDR->SDR conversion?
Goeggel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 22:12   #48025  |  Link
Asmodian

If madVR says the source is BT.709 it is not doing an HDR -> SDR conversion, it is treating the BT.2020 content as if it was BT.709 so it looks washed out. This means that the file has been created incorrectly. I am not sure what the differences are or what the TV uses to switch to HDR mode but I have a lot of HDR movies in mkv (muxed directly from UHD blurays I own) which work in madVR, both Dolby Vision (in HDR10 fallback mode) and HDR10 discs.
Old 3rd January 2018, 22:22   #48026  |  Link
brazen1

Some TV's show HDR is enabled when it goes into the mode. Some TV's don't show this notification but you can go into the menu and see if Contrast has been maxed (or bumped to whatever your calibration is). I don't know what to look for in an OSD to see if something is converting HDR to SDR because I've never been in the scenario. I would assume if you played an HDR to SDR, the OSD would report BLANK xxxx nits value, BT.2020 ->DCI-P3. Do you see nit values? Sometimes it's best to post your entire OSD.
Old 3rd January 2018, 22:23   #48027  |  Link
mytbyte

@asmodian: there is mediainfo report on the file several posts earlier, all seems correct, and still, MadVR fails to read the metadata and takes a guess and concludes it's BT.709 all the way...the file, however is indeed most likely a re-encode from a UHD BD, perhaps something did get "lost in translation", but why then the TV's player reads the metadata correctly?
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 22:26   #48028  |  Link
xabregas

so im thinking in buying gtx 1060 6GB for 4k madvr upscaling and other stuff. I have the budget now. But nvidia volta gpus can be released tomorrow or next week and even not knowing anything about their specs should i wait?? Or HEVC performance wont be improved in this VOLTA cards?
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 22:36   #48029  |  Link
brazen1

His successes are .mkv test files. His failures are .iso's. The media info is an iso. I use iso and mkv. Both are successful. The difference being GPU's. An iso bitrate is also around 100Mbs. The test files around 45Mbs. The TV cannot play iso, only mkv. Consider those variables.
Old 3rd January 2018, 22:47   #48030  |  Link
brazen1

AIUI, Volta with madVR will be a game changer. HDMI 2.1 MAYBE. NVDecode may also be a new video decoder introduced replacing GDDR5x which should allow madVR at highest settings, even UHD, to be implemented (replacing NVCUVID). Don't know anything for sure. NVidia press conference from CES in 4 days. Maybe some details?

Last edited by brazen1; 3rd January 2018 at 22:55.
Old 3rd January 2018, 23:42   #48031  |  Link
huhn

NVdecode is renamed CUVID and i never saw a case where memory speed plays any rule for madVR when a 128 bit and GDDR5 or better are present.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 00:27   #48032  |  Link
brazen1

I'm sure you know much more about this than I do and I don't mind being corrected. From what I gather, Hynix is supplying the memory. It will be GDDR6. The higher end cards will use HBM2. 384 bit. It will be about 45% faster. NVdecode has been present in the 10 series. No one has implemented it in software because the older version of it, CUVID is all developers have to work with. I assume with Volta will come a new video codec SDK for madshi to tinker with using NVdecode.
Old 4th January 2018, 00:29   #48033  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
NVdecode has been present in the 10 series. No one has implemented it in software because the older version of it, CUVID is all developers have to work with.
NVDecode and CUVID is exactly the same thing, they just renamed it for marketing purposes, but the SDK didn't even change at all (short of the name in the documentation) - and there are no advantages over using DXVA2 or D3D11 decoding with madVR.
The decoding hardware in NVIDIA cards hasn't changed fundamentally for quite some time, only extended for new codecs - but they also don't really have to, its fast and works pretty well.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 4th January 2018 at 00:36.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 00:59   #48034  |  Link
mclingo

Hi, there are quite a lot of HDR and 10 bit remuxes knocking about now, perfect for KODI DS and MADVR playback, is anyone aware of a windows tool or app you can install, or anything I can use to check to see if my entire pipeline is 10 bit, it should be, my TV is set as 10 bit and I have deep colour set on my TV, my receiver is also capable or passing through 10bit.

I've compared 10 bit with 8 bit SDR rips and I cant see any difference, obviously it could be these were mastered in 8 bit and just upconverted to 10 bit and therefore any banding issues would remain, so I'm looking for a way to really know whether I'm getting any benefit at all from using 10 bit colour on my PC and TV.

I'm hoping something I play play in 10 bit and then 8 bit where I can see a difference is colour banding, something like this:

http://www.zero-friction.net/wp-cont...as-image-2.png
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 01:04   #48035  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Check this thread for some attempts at testing full 10-bit output:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172128

In short however, its not always easy to confirm this depending on the screens processing etc, but as long as 10-bit output looks good..
Old 4th January 2018, 06:39   #48036  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
AIUI, Volta with madVR will be a game changer. HDMI 2.1 MAYBE. NVDecode may also be a new video decoder introduced replacing GDDR5x which should allow madVR at highest settings, even UHD, to be implemented (replacing NVCUVID). Don't know anything for sure. NVidia press conference from CES in 4 days. Maybe some details?
There’s nothing special about Volta. The Titan V is about 30% faster than a 1080 Ti, and that’s when it doesn’t perform worse. The consumer cards we’ll get later this year will be cut down versions so expect worse performance. I think Volta will offer about 20% more performance for the high end card, which is pathetic. 9 series to 10 series was a 50% boost. I guess they don’t have to try anymore since AMD can’t compete.

Volta won’t be game changer, especially not for madvr
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 08:55   #48037  |  Link
Goeggel

@mytbyte and brazen1:
would it help if you could have a look at one of the movie files yourself? I could cut out the first couple of seconds from the movie and upload it somewhere (any suggestion for a suitable location?)?
Goeggel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 10:07   #48038  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
There’s nothing special about Volta. The Titan V is about 30% faster than a 1080 Ti, and that’s when it doesn’t perform worse. The consumer cards we’ll get later this year will be cut down versions so expect worse performance. I think Volta will offer about 20% more performance for the high end card, which is pathetic. 9 series to 10 series was a 50% boost. I guess they don’t have to try anymore since AMD can’t compete.

Volta won’t be game changer, especially not for madvr
You can't really extrapolate the consumer/gaming performance of Volta from the Titan V - its architecture is quite different to the consumer cards. GP100 also had a different architecture (different configuration of cores and control logic, and whatnot), it was just never used on any card one could buy.
The Titan V is the first "compute" focused Titan for a long time, basically since the very first Titan.

I fully expect a high-end Volta "Ti" card to actually be faster in gaming then the Titan V.
Old 4th January 2018, 10:32   #48039  |  Link
AttackSharply

Well, I just got the IRQ Not less or equal blah blah error again, and that's with FSE disabled and using MadVR 92.10, but this was only upon exiting my media player and not while watching something.

Before the only error I'd get while exiting was the No Execute BSOD.
AttackSharply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 11:04   #48040  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackSharply View Post
Well, I just got the IRQ Not less or equal blah blah error again, and that's with FSE disabled and using MadVR 92.10, but this was only upon exiting my media player and not while watching something.

Before the only error I'd get while exiting was the No Execute BSOD.
i'd look at completely stripping out your NVIDA drivers using DDU and then try 285.28.

If that doesnt work, if you have s spare disk run up a quick image to dual boot to test your system hardware, no point doing a full rebuild if something as at fault.

Last edited by mclingo; 4th January 2018 at 11:07.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling