Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd October 2017, 19:24   #46821  |  Link
njfoses

Looks like new Nvidia driver 388. is out.
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2017, 21:47   #46822  |  Link
fedpul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
If RCA and RRN can be remote controlled (and from what I read and see in the control panel they could), having access to bitrate in the profiles configuration would make everything even more perfect.
+1 vote on that aspect. Profiles linked to bitrate would be excellent for RCA and RRN.

Enviado desde mi MI 4LTE mediante Tapatalk
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 08:26   #46823  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Looks like new Nvidia driver 388. is out.
Has anyone tried it to see if it fixes HDR not turning off correctly?
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 08:32   #46824  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Has anyone tried it to see if it fixes HDR not turning off correctly?
Yep - avoid,

K
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 14:41   #46825  |  Link
jkauff

I installed the Win 10 Fall Creators Update again yesterday. Older and wiser now, when the update process was finished, I re-installed my monitor drivers (hosed by the update), ran DDU and installed the new Nvidia drivers, re-booted just for the hell of it, and opened madVR. Custom resolutions were gone, of course, but I re-added them, ran Optimize successfully, and everything now works as it should.

Took me most of the evening, but at least I'm good to go for another 6 months.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 14:57   #46826  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
I installed the Win 10 Fall Creators Update again yesterday. Older and wiser now, when the update process was finished, I re-installed my monitor drivers (hosed by the update), ran DDU and installed the new Nvidia drivers, re-booted just for the hell of it, and opened madVR. Custom resolutions were gone, of course, but I re-added them, ran Optimize successfully, and everything now works as it should.

Took me most of the evening, but at least I'm good to go for another 6 months.
Nice, crappy process. True to MS.

BTW, can you upgrade normally via windows update, or do you need some other methot as it was with 8.1? (I'm not on 10)
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 15:02   #46827  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
BTW, can you upgrade normally via windows update, or do you need some other methot as it was with 8.1? (I'm not on 10)
Users of Windows 10 should eventually get the update automatically, but they can kickstart it using the Update now button on this page.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 15:18   #46828  |  Link
aufkrawall

You can also always just download the iso, mount it (Windows can do that) and run the installer.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 22:58   #46829  |  Link
tocirahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
Hi! I have problems in "Pc mode" when playing HDR with my TV. I do not know why, the colors look different with less brightness. My Tv is a LG OLED C7P.
I think it's because of the color range, but in my tv in "Pc modte47a e/HDR" it is locked. If I change the label of "Pc mode" to HDMI it works perfect bit is 422. Any idea why? The difference between 444 and 422 is visible?
This is a known bug on the C7P.

HDR is not working correctly in PC mode as it locks the display to an 8-bit mode. See more here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...on-thread.html
tocirahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 00:08   #46830  |  Link
Rexian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Yep - avoid,

K
Thanks, was about to try that!

Update for Pat: Thanks, Fall Creator's update working with with 385.69 (FSE disabled, but that's fine for now).
Rexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 07:52   #46831  |  Link
Sarlaith

Ps Madshi there is a bug when you create a Profile under Devices.
Every keystroke causes you to go back to the HDR screen (annoying)
Sarlaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 09:06   #46832  |  Link
ryrynz

He knows about it, it's a bug that's been around for a while, since I've really been the only person to mention it it's been left on the back burner.
Use copy and paste, it helps.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 09:39   #46833  |  Link
Sarlaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
He knows about it, it's a bug that's been around for a while, since I've really been the only person to mention it it's been left on the back burner.
Use copy and paste, it helps.
lol yeh that's what I ended up doing.
Type it in notepad and then copy-paste it into the profile window
Didn't know it got mentioned before tho, sorry ^^
Sarlaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:43   #46834  |  Link
jkauff

A question for owners of 4K TVs or monitors. Does a 1080p Blu-ray upscaled with madVR look very much better than it does on a 1080p TV/monitor?

Prices are reasonable now, but I have no interest in broadcast or streaming 4K (except for baseball games), nor in UHD Blu-ray discs. Should I make the jump, or just stay with my 1080p setup?
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:49   #46835  |  Link
ryrynz

Only make the jump if you're purchasing a screen with a better panel than the TV you already have (black level, brightness, motion resolution)
Changing the screen technology or upgrading the size will have a bigger impact on quality than anything else, OLED's are amazing..
Don't bother if you're not watching 4K or HDR content yet, but you'll want to upgrade sometime in the next few years anyway.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 13:52   #46836  |  Link
Cinemancave

Is there a way of having a keyboard-shortcut to toggling on and off some of the HDR Settings in real-time? I specifically would like to be able to switch "send HDR metadata to the display" on and off without having to go into the menus.
Cinemancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 15:34   #46837  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
A question for owners of 4K TVs or monitors. Does a 1080p Blu-ray upscaled with madVR look very much better than it does on a 1080p TV/monitor?

Prices are reasonable now, but I have no interest in broadcast or streaming 4K (except for baseball games), nor in UHD Blu-ray discs. Should I make the jump, or just stay with my 1080p setup?
thats subjective mate, adding a small amount of sharpening using NGU does to my eye but its negligable, only get a 4K TV if you are going to be actually watching native 4k stuff, or plan to.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 15:59   #46838  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Looking "better" is subjective. I'd be inclined to answer that no amount of upscaling can actually make something look "better" than the original, unscaled content. Others' opinions on the matter may differ. But I'd say that a 1080p quality screen is the best place to watch 1080p content.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 17:26   #46839  |  Link
PurpleMan

Hey guys,

Just a quick one because I'm not sure and I'm losing my mind.

I have a Geforce 1050 connected to a Sony X940E to an HDMI port with full bandwidth (and the TV configured to 'enhanced HDMI' mode to enable it).

Should I be able to set my NVIDIA card to output 4k60 12bpp RGB?
I can't seem to be able to do that (only 4k60 12bpp 4:2:0) and was wondering if that's normal?

Thanks
PurpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 18:01   #46840  |  Link
ddjmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemancave View Post
Is there a way of having a keyboard-shortcut to toggling on and off some of the HDR Settings in real-time? I specifically would like to be able to switch "send HDR metadata to the display" on and off without having to go into the menus.
Yes, you can use a profile group - click on your listed device > create profile group > Choose which options you want for the group (HDR) > then you can rename/duplicate the HDR group with your required settings and add a keyboard shortcut to activate between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMan View Post
Should I be able to set my NVIDIA card to output 4k60 12bpp RGB?
I can't seem to be able to do that (only 4k60 12bpp 4:2:0) and was wondering if that's normal?
Yes that's normal, the current HDMI 2.0 spec doesn't support it (4K60 RGB 12bit)

Last edited by ddjmagic; 25th October 2017 at 18:23.
ddjmagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling