Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th September 2017, 05:14   #45961  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666
seems it works! now AMD is switchng my tv to hdr.

Am I Dreming?
[/QUOTE]
Finally!! It was working for me all the time, so I had a hard time understanding why it failed for everyone else...
madshi is offline Report Post [/QUOTE]

Does that mean now I can go out to buy any AMD RX4xx/5xx card to enjoy HDR without any worry ?
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 07:25   #45962  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
Well this is not the case for me, since setting NVIDIA's CP dynamic range at Limited will provide a different output than having it at Full during playback, this is while having madVR and the TV set to "Limited". In reality, setting madVR or the TV to full will crush dark areas further, and having madVR and the TV to full with crush the image to almost complete darkness.

NVIDIA's CP settings override everything else, as does madVR and as do the TV's settings, to each its own.
The GPU will always assume full range input so if you have both madVR and the GPU set to limited then the GPU will compress it again so you get something like 30-222 for the dynamic range. Your TV should never expect 30-222.

The limited and full range options do not change the data format, 0-255 (8-bit) is always sent, the only difference is if the range is compressed or not.

If you need the double compression your TV is using bad settings or has terrible black crush. Try out the levels test patterns AVS-HD 709, they help with understanding what your TV is doing.
Old 25th September 2017, 09:05   #45963  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhh11 View Post
my JVC projector goes magenta too when I play HDR videos. 24 hz and 60 hz. The same thing happens with the Roku at 60z/hdr but it's working at 24hz/hdr. SDR/60hz is fine.
It also did the same thing before the ''Windows HDR update'' when I tried to play HDR games at 60hz. Now games are working.

If I enable Windows 10 hdr slider then no more magenta and hdr is working most of the time with madvr. Sometimes I get locked in a black screen and can only get out of it by accessing my pc remotely and by disabling the hdr slider.

madvr is set to '' let madvr decide''

No issue at all on my 2nd computer connected to an HDR tv.
Thanks, what do you call "Windows HDR update"? Is that the Spring Creators Update? What is your OS build, GPU and driver version please?
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 09:30   #45964  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Making a sample of the menu of a DVD is also relatively easy:
Just take all the files from the DVD, but leave out the VOB files for the main title (usually VTS_01_*.VOB, the set with all the 1GB files)
I noticed the same thing during the weekend with my old pc (current apps). I managed to sort it out by setting negative % for the "bottom" value in mpc-hc.
Note that there are 2 places in mpc-hc where you can set sub position.

Other question: can madvr output mvc 3d to 2 output like stereopistic player can?
My friend has a dual projector setup.
Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 09:46   #45965  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I use a receiver mainly for audio which bypasses video signal to the TV, hence I do not get the option to use the tool on the TV connected to the receiver, only the PC monitor seems selectable. I never really did have the option to try it.
Yes, you do have the option to try it. You simply start madLevelsTweaker.exe, and then move the window to the monitor which displays on your TV. That way madLevelsTweaker will modify the settings for your TV, not your PC monitor.

Quote:
I did read the FAQ in its entirety trying to find an answer, but the FAQ explanation does not apply to my situation.
Yes, it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
This is the case for me too. For the longest time I had things set as recommended with full out and madVR set to TV levels but the output isn't correct. Set it to TV levels out and it's all as it should be. Dunno if it's something madshi can fix but I suspected this was all down to the TV expecting limited output and ruining the picture as a result. I can only expose the option to set full range on the tv if I use DVI out or strip the audio block from the HDMI signal. Since I Bitstream, setting to limited output seems like the best option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
The GPU will always assume full range input so if you have both madVR and the GPU set to limited then the GPU will compress it again so you get something like 30-222 for the dynamic range. Your TV should never expect 30-222.

The limited and full range options do not change the data format, 0-255 (8-bit) is always sent, the only difference is if the range is compressed or not.

If you need the double compression your TV is using bad settings or has terrible black crush. Try out the levels test patterns AVS-HD 709, they help with understanding what your TV is doing.
^

I can say with 100% reliability that setting both the GPU control panel *and* madVR to 16-235 ("limited") is definitely an incorrect setup and will never produce perfect results. If you guys get proper black & white levels only by setting both the GPU control panel and madVR to "limited" then something somewhere is totally screwed up. Because as Asmodian explained, in this situation the HTPC would output black as 30. Maybe your TV settings are screwed up. Or maybe your GPU has an invalid calibration GPU gamma ramp installed. Or something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
I agree with the above in principle, and definitely with the part about the main culprit being the GPU, but then why would "don't send HDR metadata to the display" in MadVR prevent the GPU from doing what it's doing that confuses the display? Supposedly, this MadVR option only prevents the metadata from being sent. It shouldn't have any impact on whatever the GPU is doing under the hood if it's indeed sending YCC 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 while still reporting RGB. So I don't think that's what's at play here.
Well, I named the option "send HDR metadata to the display", but it might not be a totally accurate description. The option does multiple things, and how these things are named depends on the API set I'm using (Microsoft vs Nvidia vs AMD). E.g. with Nvidia I'm calling an "HdrColorControl" API to set the "HDR mode". Ideally, doing all this should only result in the "PQ" flag being sent to the display together with the SMPTE 2086 metadata. But it's a black box. The Nvidia driver may decide to change something else, too, when I call that API, like changing the color format from RGB to YCbCr or things like that. The API is not called "SetMetadata", but more something like "SetHdrMode".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd1 View Post
576 TO 1080P D3D11
720P TO 1080P D3D11
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...46#post1819046
only on the 1080p disables the D3D11 and I always have D3D9
As I said before, you need to make sure that DSPlayer is not overwriting the madVR settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhh11 View Post
my JVC projector goes magenta too when I play HDR videos. 24 hz and 60 hz. The same thing happens with the Roku at 60z/hdr but it's working at 24hz/hdr. SDR/60hz is fine.
Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
Madshi, latest update fixes the performance problem I mentioned with 10 bit files on my laptop. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnzilver View Post
D3D11 copy/back: I have tested several times, and have only had problems a couple of times:
1. The video get stuck and does not let the player close.
The freeze report: https://mega.nz/#!JtcgEA7J!ntXOHvkch...iXGSYYx6b9qbpY
Can't see anything wrong in that freeze report, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnzilver View Post
D3D11 Native: I have problems mush more often (almost every tries) in the middle of playback, and almost every time I close the OSD (which sometimes freeze the entire PC, but still not tested with MadVR 0.92.4)
Ok, seems you may have to disable D3D11 decoding for now. I'll change some things about D3D11 in a future version, maybe that will solve those issues for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnhd View Post
Does that mean now I can go out to buy any AMD RX4xx/5xx card to enjoy HDR without any worry ?
Probably. Polaris is rather slow with madVR's NGU algorithm, though. So if you plan to use NGU, at this point I'd rather recommend an Nvidia GPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I noticed the same thing during the weekend with my old pc (current apps). I managed to sort it out by setting negative % for the "bottom" value in mpc-hc.
Note that there are 2 places in mpc-hc where you can set sub position.
Huh? Does the subtitle position option in MPC-HC affect how LAV Video Decoder does DVD subtitles?? That would surprise me!

Quote:
Other question: can madvr output mvc 3d to 2 output like stereopistic player can?
My friend has a dual projector setup.
You mean sending the left eye to one screen and the right eye to another screen? No, that's currently not supported.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 10:20   #45966  |  Link
Fabulist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

How can this be the case when the image is nearly identical with the blu-ray's when I set "Limited" from NVIDIA's CP, "Limited" from madVR, and have "Limited" on the TV. The blu-ray cannot be double compressing.

The only test patterns I understood how to use and tested on are for checking the dynamic range here: https://referencehometheater.com/201...ll-vs-limited/ and here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1248012

Are you talking I should find something different in AVS the Forum? Sorry, but I really do not know what to do, I know very little about calibrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Yes, you do have the option to try it. You simply start madLevelsTweaker.exe, and then move the window to the monitor which displays on your TV. That way madLevelsTweaker will modify the settings for your TV, not your PC monitor.
Thank you I did not know that, it also seems that when I apply full to one monitor the tool appears ticked on both when moved to the other monitor. However, the tool made no difference.

Quote:
Yes, it does.
How it does? Am I not understanding your FAQ correctly?
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 10:31   #45967  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Thank you I did not know that, it also seems that when I apply full to one monitor the tool appears ticked on both when moved to the other monitor. However, the tool made no difference.
How is your multi monitor setup configured? Are you using Clone or Extend or something else? In my setup I'm using Extend, which means that my computer monitor and my TV are two completely separate "monitors" to the OS. Does the madLevelsTweaker text change at all when you move it from one monitor to the other?

Quote:
How it does? Am I not understanding your FAQ correctly?
The FAQ explains what happens in the background, and which effect setting the GPU control panel and madVR to 16-235 or 0-255 has exactly. As such it always applies, to any PC/situation.

I'm not sure why you're getting incorrect black levels with a proper setup. There must be something wrong somewhere, but it's hard for me to analyze from a distance.

Are you using a dedicated PCIe GPU? Or are we talking Laptop? Can you make screenshots of your Nvidia control panel (all pages related to TV and color setup) and upload them somewhere for us to look at? Please don't post the images in full in this thread, just post links to the images here.
Old 25th September 2017, 11:12   #45968  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Well, I named the option "send HDR metadata to the display", but it might not be a totally accurate description. The option does multiple things, and how these things are named depends on the API set I'm using (Microsoft vs Nvidia vs AMD). E.g. with Nvidia I'm calling an "HdrColorControl" API to set the "HDR mode". Ideally, doing all this should only result in the "PQ" flag being sent to the display together with the SMPTE 2086 metadata. But it's a black box. The Nvidia driver may decide to change something else, too, when I call that API, like changing the color format from RGB to YCbCr or things like that. The API is not called "SetMetadata", but more something like "SetHdrMode".
Thanks for taking the time to explain, I understand now. So maybe it has to do with the PQ flag, as the metadata itself seems to be filtered by the Vertex (for example, when I set "disable HDR" to on in the Vertex, the display doesn't switch automatically to its own HDR implementation and I can select mine manually). But maybe if the PQ flag is still set that's enough to trip the weird magenta mode.

Not to say that the GPU isn't doing anything else, but enabling the "send HDR metadata" in MadVR produces the same effect as switching the HDR on in the OS display property, so it would be good to see if something else can be done, for example looking at that PQ flag.

I'll investigate and will let you know what we find.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 12:15   #45969  |  Link
imhh11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Thanks, what do you call "Windows HDR update"? Is that the Spring Creators Update? What is your OS build, GPU and driver version please?
before there was an ''HDR slider'' in windows display setting.

I'm on Windows creator update (not insider), gtx1070 and gtx1060, driver 385.69
imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 12:24   #45970  |  Link
David

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're getting incorrect black levels with a proper setup. There must be something wrong somewhere, but it's hard for me to analyze from a distance.

Is there any configuration in madvr where that setting touch the video range? Something like hardware upscaling

If that setting is working then video range will be PC Levels and with gpu output to limited and display expecting limited ... range levels would be correct even if madvr is sending limited.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 13:26   #45971  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Huh? Does the subtitle position option in MPC-HC affect how LAV Video Decoder does DVD subtitles?? That would surprise me!
Errr... I have been talking about srt subs (embedded or external) not subpictures. Haven't you?

Quote:
You mean sending the left eye to one screen and the right eye to another screen? No, that's currently not supported.
No worries
Old 25th September 2017, 14:52   #45972  |  Link
noee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsh
Probably. Polaris is rather slow with madVR's NGU algorithm, though. So if you plan to use NGU, at this point I'd rather recommend an Nvidia GPU.
I'm currently testing an RX560 4G (MSI)* using quad NGU(High) for luma, NGU Med for chroma and SSIM100 LL downscaling, material is DVD to 1080P and it appears there is even more headroom. Very High NGU is a slide show, however. Would this be considered a hard load on the GPU? NGU seems to be very efficient.

Haven't tried scaling with DVD to 4K yet with this card.

*Win7, latest Crimson stuff, JRiver MC x64
Old 25th September 2017, 15:40   #45973  |  Link
Fabulist

Quote:
How is your multi monitor setup configured? Are you using Clone or Extend or something else? In my setup I'm using Extend, which means that my computer monitor and my TV are two completely separate "monitors" to the OS. Does the madLevelsTweaker text change at all when you move it from one monitor to the other?
I am using Extend same as you because I need the monitors to have different refresh rates. The tool instantly has its text changed when moved across monitors, but if I go for Full on one monitor it appears as Full or "Force PC levels (0-255)" ticked on both.

Quote:
The FAQ explains what happens in the background, and which effect setting the GPU control panel and madVR to 16-235 or 0-255 has exactly. As such it always applies, to any PC/situation.

But if everything works as intended in the NVIDIA CP and madVR then there has to be something with the TV, but the TV has only 1 setting regarding RGB and everything else are viewing modes which more or less alter sharpness, color, brightness and gamma and not much else.

Quote:
Are you using a dedicated PCIe GPU? Or are we talking Laptop? Can you make screenshots of your Nvidia control panel (all pages related to TV and color setup) and upload them somewhere for us to look at? Please don't post the images in full in this thread, just post links to the images here.
I am using an NVIDIA 1080 Ti and everything works with this graphics card exactly the same as it did with the NVIDIA 760 before it and an NVIDIA Titan even before that. The TV set remained the same.

The links below contain albums with the settings you requested, if you need more or missed something let me know and I will post it ASAP. The ones relating to the TV are in order, so if an option is highlighted in a screenshot the next image is that option's settings, otherwise there is a description on the top left corner.

NVIDIA CP: https://imgur.com/a/VXouP
TV: https://imgur.com/a/DtNcO
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 15:45   #45974  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
I'm currently testing an RX560 4G (MSI)* using quad NGU(High) for luma, NGU Med for chroma and SSIM100 LL downscaling, material is DVD to 1080P and it appears there is even more headroom. Very High NGU is a slide show, however. Would this be considered a hard load on the GPU? NGU seems to be very efficient.

Haven't tried scaling with DVD to 4K yet with this card.

*Win7, latest Crimson stuff, JRiver MC x64
I'm interested in the RX560 too, but mostly for 4K HDR. Are you going to test it ?
Btw, which NGU have you tested, NGU AA, NGU Standard or NGU Sharp ?
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 15:57   #45975  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Sounds good to me. See FAQ in the 2nd post of this thread.
Finally am home and was able to do some more testing of my equipment. So for me, my Panasonic plasma certainly "allows" limited and full, even on 3D playback. However, for 3D, it *MUST* receive limited in order for playback to be correct. If I use full, and I tested this on my xbox one just to be sure it wasn't something screwy with my HTPC, it will "ghost" the background. At least I can rule out the HTPC as being the problem. As I said, limited->full->limited works fine for me and your explanation of what's happening in the FAQ with those settings works for me. I may experiment with setting the TV to auto and using a profile to set madvr to full for all non-3D content and limited for 3D and see if that works.
Old 25th September 2017, 16:00   #45976  |  Link
yukinok25

I've tried to read few pages back but maybe I missed something, it seems like my LAV Video cannot see my GPU under "active hardware accelerator" no matter if I use native or copy-back, the result is always "none", I used to see it just a while ago before update madVR to 0.92.3, is it something related to madVR by the way?

I updated today to 0.92.4, but I didn't pay attention if this happened also with the 0.92.3, sorry If I am asking something wrong, here's a couple of screenshot:

https://imgur.com/a/AVpfD

Last edited by yukinok25; 25th September 2017 at 16:02.
yukinok25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 16:35   #45977  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
I'm interested in the RX560 too, but mostly for 4K HDR. Are you going to test it ?
I have a RX460 and there is no way to get ngu standard with 4k tv.
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 16:52   #45978  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukinok25 View Post
I've tried to read few pages back but maybe I missed something, it seems like my LAV Video cannot see my GPU under "active hardware accelerator" no matter if I use native or copy-back, the result is always "none", I used to see it just a while ago before update madVR to 0.92.3, is it something related to madVR by the way?

I updated today to 0.92.4, but I didn't pay attention if this happened also with the 0.92.3, sorry If I am asking something wrong, here's a couple of screenshot:

when using D3D11 you will always get hardware decoding if it is a supported format madVR has nothing todo with it.

so the file is maybe incompatible
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 17:02   #45979  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Is there any configuration in madvr where that setting touch the video range? Something like hardware upscaling

If that setting is working then video range will be PC Levels and with gpu output to limited and display expecting limited ... range levels would be correct even if madvr is sending limited.
I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you're saying. Can you clarify/explain?

Quote:
Errr... I have been talking about srt subs (embedded or external) not subpictures. Haven't you?
No, definitely not. This is why I don't like if people comment in this thread with "I have the same problem" or with "I noticed the same thing", because it's rarely really the same thing. The original user reported problems with DVD *menus*, not with external srt subs. So when you wrote you noticed the same thing, obviously I expected you were talking about DVD menus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Finally am home and was able to do some more testing of my equipment. So for me, my Panasonic plasma certainly "allows" limited and full, even on 3D playback. However, for 3D, it *MUST* receive limited in order for playback to be correct. If I use full, and I tested this on my xbox one just to be sure it wasn't something screwy with my HTPC, it will "ghost" the background. At least I can rule out the HTPC as being the problem. As I said, limited->full->limited works fine for me and your explanation of what's happening in the FAQ with those settings works for me. I may experiment with setting the TV to auto and using a profile to set madvr to full for all non-3D content and limited for 3D and see if that works.
Interesting to hear. So your plasma is at fault here! But it's good to find these things out, so you can optimize the settings accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukinok25 View Post

For LAV related questions, please ask in the LAV thread. This doesn't seem to be madVR specific.

Quote:
The links below contain albums with the settings you requested, if you need more or missed something let me know and I will post it ASAP. The ones relating to the TV are in order, so if an option is highlighted in a screenshot the next image is that option's settings, otherwise there is a description on the top left corner.

NVIDIA CP: https://imgur.com/a/VXouP
TV: https://imgur.com/a/DtNcO
The Nvidia settings look alright to me. One thing to double check, though: For "Content type reported to the display" you have selected "Movies". Have you tried other settings there? This setting *could* have an effect, depending on whether your TV reacts to this or not.

Looking at your TV settings screenshots, the most important setting is probably "HDMI RGB Range", which you currently have set to "AUTO". Have you tried different settings there?

The "HDMI Content Type" settings in your TV also look like they could be related. Does changing that stuff do anything to your black and white levels?
Old 25th September 2017, 17:18   #45980  |  Link
noee

Quote:
I've tested *all* variants of NGU doubling/quad-ing and very high is where it hits the wall -- hard. Again, with DVD 4x-ed/downscaled to 1080p.

I don't have a 4K/HDR screen currently and I have to give this machine up in a couple of days and the next build I do will most likely be with a Vega variant of some sort....I hope to have a 4K/HDR option available at that point (hopefully in a month or so).

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling