Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th July 2017, 08:15   #44481  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I can clearly see it on my TV regardless, it's obvious on pans.
If the video appears smoother in 60Hz+SM then an actual 24Hz mode, then I would draw the conclusion that your TVs 24Hz mode isn't quite perfect (which unfortunately a bunch of TVs get wrong).

As others have said, SM isn't a replacement for the interpolation TVs perform, or SVP, its just a way to avoid motion judder from mis-matched refresh rates.
Old 30th July 2017, 08:53   #44482  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro View Post
Finally I was able to emulate the motion I see on the theaters and it was really easy at the end. I'm using a custom 23.974hz refresh rate but with my projector (x5000) I can still see a distracting flicker/judder on bright scenes if there is panning, on fast motion scenes or in some actor close up scenes, I've solved the problem using madvr smooth motion "only if there is judder" option.
Im not sure if that is correct.
Im sure everyone here says that SM will never work on any of its settings if the framerate is set to 23/24Hz and everything in between.

Its easy to see, by checking in the onscreen log, it will state Smooth Motion is off, even though you have "only if there is judder ticked".
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 09:00   #44483  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
but if you try that option in 24p the outcome is amazing (remember to use "If there is judder" option under smooth motion settings).
If you use "only if there would be judder without it..." with 23.976 fps content and a 24Hz display smooth motion will simply be off while with a 60Hz display it would be on.

None of those options change the behavior of smooth motion, only when it turns on or off. On a 24Hz display and smooth motion set to "only if there would be judder without it..." the output is the same as disabling smooth motion entirely.
Old 30th July 2017, 09:05   #44484  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Dorohedoro's post is an excellent example of the placebo effect. It's truly amazing what the mind can tell it's self

QB
Old 30th July 2017, 09:06   #44485  |  Link
x7007

When watching 4K HDR movie, does it suppose to be 8 bit or 10 bit ?

http://imgur.com/GWabH4f

I'm using Nvidia 382.53 drivers with HDR in windows disabled. When I enable it, it's become 10 bit

Everytime I enable HDR and run the movie my screen turn black, the sound keep playing but I can't see anything, changing the nvidia settings from the Default color settings to nvidia Color settings and using HDR in windows YCbCr 422 12 bit limited works fine. but if it's on default it causes black screen . is it a issue with the 382.53 ?

Last edited by x7007; 30th July 2017 at 09:26.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 10:02   #44486  |  Link
Dorohedoro

I dont know guys, but without smooth motion there is flicker everywhere, maybe is because my custom refresh rate I dont know, but I can assure you, it's working, for me anyways...
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 14:09   #44487  |  Link
ddjmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjmagic View Post
I've tried 384.94 (I was a version behind) but same thing. I actually don't get a mouse cursor at all in FSE.
After messing with some settings in Windows 8.1, it seems that it's something to do with the scaling settings, my resolution is 3840x2160 and I have it scaling set to 250% (Default) if I drop it below 200% I can see the mouse cursor again in FSE anything over that and I lose it.

Is this a bug in 8.1? Can anyone suggest a workaround - it's hard to read anything if I drop the scaling down.
ddjmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 15:26   #44488  |  Link
mrcorbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
When watching 4K HDR movie, does it suppose to be 8 bit or 10 bit ?

http://imgur.com/GWabH4f

I'm using Nvidia 382.53 drivers with HDR in windows disabled. When I enable it, it's become 10 bit
10-bit is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Everytime I enable HDR and run the movie my screen turn black, the sound keep playing but I can't see anything, changing the nvidia settings from the Default color settings to nvidia Color settings and using HDR in windows YCbCr 422 12 bit limited works fine. but if it's on default it causes black screen . is it a issue with the 382.53 ?
Default is probably trying to send to your display a format that it doesn't support. Since it works when you specify the format, just do that.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 16:40   #44489  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Im a moron, I had the refresh rate set to 59.975 that's why the smooth motion is working....
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 17:19   #44490  |  Link
omw2h

damn i love madVR

i have two specific questions,

my tv support 4:2:2 chroma subsampling,
due to the fact that half of the pixel averages the color value,
do i still benefit from higher chroma upscaling algorithms for the original video size and/or doubling the video size?

dithering..
if there are dither patterns the "reduce banding artefact" does its magic,
if i see noise it doesn't get better of worse with any dither option,
i don't see any difference while switching options or disabling dithering,
is there something i can do about it? (no noise reduction is set in my drivers or TV)
omw2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 20:25   #44491  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Im a moron, I had the refresh rate set to 59.975 that's why the smooth motion is working....
Ah good, that makes sense. I recommend you keep using those settings. The flicker goes away at 60Hz and smooth motion, as you have seen, keeps the motion quality the same as a in a theater.

Use control-J to toggle madVR's OSD to see what it is doing and trust your eyes when judging quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omw2h View Post
my tv support 4:2:2 chroma subsampling,
due to the fact that half of the pixel averages the color value,
do i still benefit from higher chroma upscaling algorithms for the original video size and/or doubling the video size?

dithering..
if there are dither patterns the "reduce banding artefact" does its magic,
if i see noise it doesn't get better of worse with any dither option,
i don't see any difference while switching options or disabling dithering,
is there something i can do about it? (no noise reduction is set in my drivers or TV)
Chroma upscaling is less important for you but it will still affect the output.

"reduce banding artifacts" happens before dithering, everything in madVR happens before it dithers. Any changes noticed due to it are not changing the dithering as done by madVR.

Dithering is pretty subtle, you hopefully wouldn't notice it with a display at 8 bit or higher. However, if your display or GPU is doing a conversion (such as to converting to 4:2:2 internally) it will mask any changes in madVR's dithering. Stick to ordered dithering if you don't notice a difference, it is fast and good quality. There is no reason to use error diffusion if you cannot see an improvement but disabling dithering is always a bad idea.

You can also temporarily set your display to 4-bit or even lower, to see what changes in the dither pattern but make sure the "trade quality for performance" option "don’t use linear light for dithering" is unchecked. This is mostly for curiosity as optimal at 4-bit might not be optimal at 8-bit.

Last edited by Asmodian; 30th July 2017 at 20:50.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 10:39   #44492  |  Link
dbcooper

Hmm, the new AMD Vega GPUs have new instructions for video processing:

dbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:52   #44493  |  Link
Goeggel

Only D3D9, no D3D11

I have been looking through the forum, but haven't found any solution yet: when using madVR, I always only get D3D9, not D3D11.

Zoom Player 13 with madVR 0.91.11
LAV 0.70.2
Windows 7 64bit
Nvidia GTX980 with driver 384.76

Windowed, I get: D3D9 old path
With FSE, I get: D3D9 new path

I think I have chosen all relevant configurations for D3D11, but I am not 100% sure. Anything I should test/check/change?
Goeggel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 09:08   #44494  |  Link
huhn

go to rendering -> general settings -> "use direct3D 11 for..."
you changed some other settings too but you should now that better than me.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:36   #44495  |  Link
Goeggel

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
go to rendering -> general settings -> "use direct3D 11 for..."
you changed some other settings too but you should now that better than me.
Many thanks for your prompt reply!
I had already enabled this setting. Somehow it doesn't work. Is there a debug log or any other way to check why D3D11 doesn't kick in?
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:48   #44496  |  Link
Asmodian

Do any of madVR's settings work?
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:39   #44497  |  Link
Goeggel

Yes, to me it looks like other settings work just fine. For example "switch to matching display mode" works on my TV. Or changing brightness under "color & gamma" works, too.
Old 2nd August 2017, 19:35   #44498  |  Link
huhn

there is a debug log but it is not really readable for us.

and you change other settings too which may make trouble like present frames in advanced.

i recommend to use the default settings and try d3d11 again.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:52   #44499  |  Link
MS-DOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeggel View Post
Anything I should test/check/change?
Seems like you have desktop composition disabled. D3D11 presentation doesn't work without it.
MS-DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 03:21   #44500  |  Link
JayeDog

i just updated to windows 10 creators update but can't see the "HDR and advanced color" option under display properties.

I have a gtx 950. Do I need a hdr compatible display for the option to show up?
JayeDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling