Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th May 2017, 09:19   #43861  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
You said that the forums suggested that the GPU drivers have handed over an important part of the render chain to the OS. I can't find that in any of the links you posted?
Ok, it mentions in all 3 threads that HDR has never worked in creators update using a driver built for WDDM 2.2, which is pretty much every driver past the one I mentioned (looks like nevcairiel has been involved in this topic if i'm not mistaken, and he may have a more technical answer for you).

If you run the nvidia HDR sdk (https://developer.nvidia.com/high-dy...ay-development , link to sdk at the bottom of the page) in drivers lower than 378.92, the api triggers HDr mode. After driver 378.92, the api does not work, because of the way nvidia tried to hand over control using wddm 2.2 to the os I believe)

Another thread on this issue http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...-thread-3.html

"Windows 10 Redstone 2 (aka the Creators Update) now supports native HDR effects and that it takes control of this Function when a WDDM 2.2 driver is detected."

I'm using the insider program, and I am on the latest 16199 build, and its still the same story.

K

Update:

Re Win 10 Tv and Movie App. Using the latest nvidia driver 382.33 on Win 10 16199 build. NCP set as default colour settings, HDR slider in OS on, it plays 10bit HDR Hevc fine and in HDR mode. Kodi using Madvr, FSE dx11, win 10 api, crashes and reboots.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 24th May 2017 at 11:22. Reason: update
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 10:11   #43862  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Interesting, thanks! Can you guys comment on how madVR's behaviour compares to the Win 10 Movies & TV app, and how it compares to HDR games? Do they have the same behaviour?
Regarding the Movies & TV app, it allowed CPU decoding of 10-bit HEVC clips in Anniversary Update but NOT in Creators Update any more
Anybody has a clue how can it be fixed?
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 12:00   #43863  |  Link
johnnylaiyee

Quote:
I was hoping that the Nvidia API would be the best option for all Nvidia users, but so far most people reported that it didn't work, at least in Windows 10. Which exact driver version are you using?
It's 381.89

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk
johnnylaiyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 12:20   #43864  |  Link
Telion

madshi, please make downscaling after doubling use strict AR in NGU AA & super-xbr. And add the hotkey to display configuration dialog. Why it's taking so long to do these simple things?
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 12:29   #43865  |  Link
Chanteyousei

Anyone having this issue where the Render and Present Queue would be empty(0/8) and cause the rendering time to shoot up to at least more than 120ms?

Weird thing is that this is occuring on my dual monitor desktop setup and not on my laptop which has a slightly lower spec than the desktop.

Desktop: i5-6500 and GTX 1070
Laptop: i7-6700HQ and GTX 1060

An observation I made is that this only happens if the video is in fullscreen(not exclusive) mode and the video player is in focus, when this problem is occuring, everything else would freeze for a split second(including mouse cursor and even my keyboard's RGB lighting) every 4 to 5 seconds.

This problem stops if I move my mouse cursor over to the monitor the video is not playing on and click there to remove focus from the video player to something else. However, if i click on the video player icon in the taskbar or do anything to bring the video player back in focus, this problem occurs again.

MPC-HC in focus: http://i.imgur.com/gp80jbm.png
MPC-HC not in focus: http://i.imgur.com/ds7syFR.png

Any ideas? Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks to this ticket on the bug tracker, I fixed it. It was F.lux's fault. Turning on Safe Mode fixes it.

Last edited by Chanteyousei; 26th May 2017 at 08:57. Reason: Added solution
Chanteyousei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 13:04   #43866  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
madshi, please make downscaling after doubling use strict AR in NGU AA & super-xbr. And add the hotkey to display configuration dialog. Why it's taking so long to do these simple things?
Why is it so hard to just be patient and grateful for a product you enjoy for free?
Old 24th May 2017, 15:56   #43867  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
lol yeah wtf really

Fact is that many of use have long been awaiting a way to disable the exclusive/windowed OSD messages and a config panel hotkey but madshi does it for free and has his own priorities so suck it up and enjoy.

PS: you can always build your own hotkey by calling "\madVR\madHcCtrl.exe editLocalSettingsDontWait"

Last edited by leeperry; 24th May 2017 at 16:24.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 18:30   #43868  |  Link
dioxholster

maybe its time madshi montizes it.
dioxholster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 19:47   #43869  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxholster View Post
maybe its time madshi montizes it.
Bicubic150 AR relaxed / SSIM2D100 AR relaxed

50% downscale (source).
Old 24th May 2017, 23:06   #43870  |  Link
imhh11

Quote:
Interesting, thanks! Can you guys comment on how madVR's behaviour compares to the Win 10 Movies & TV app, and how it compares to HDR games? Do they have the same behaviour?
Thanks for your excellent work as always.

I think movies and tv app work a bit better.
Start faster, tv don't have to switch to HDR again.
You can change audio/subtitles (mouse) without HDR turning off

Having to use the FSE mode is a pain in the ass with a JVC projector, it takes forever to get an image.

So the day madvr support HDR in windowed mode without having to turn on the OS slider, all those movie and tv app benefits are gone.

Last edited by imhh11; 25th May 2017 at 00:07.
imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 23:16   #43871  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
Bicubic150 AR relaxed / SSIM2D100 AR relaxed
I prefer Bicubic150AR between them.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 00:08   #43872  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

@madshi, I don't know whether this is just an aesthetic glitch, or whether this is specific to my system, but I've noticed that my queues periodically seem to empty for a moment. I don't know if this is because of a latency spike or what, and it usually doesn't seem to cause a dropped frame, but I think it does sometimes when it gets unlucky with the render time. I've noticed that by significantly lowering my settings (bringing the processing down to ~5ms below my frame budget) I can sometimes get it to stop, but it doesn't seem consistent. Maybe it's related to memory usage on the GPU? I'm using the D3D11 path, and enabling "present a frame for every VSync" or "use a separate device for presentation" doesn't change it.

Edit: The reason I ask is that I've noticed the same thing on my laptop (GeForce GTX 1060 3G) and desktop (GeForce GTX 1080). I have Smooth Motion set to "only if there would be motion judder without it", but these 'glitches' don't seem to correspond directly with duplicated frames. Both devices are running Windows 10 with the Creators update, and the latest drivers (382.33), but I think this has been happening for a while now.

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 25th May 2017 at 10:00.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 00:19   #43873  |  Link
mrcorbo

Quote:
Win 10 Movies and TV app shows HDR properly in windowed mode (like madVR) and in fullscreen works/does not crash my PC (unlike madVR ).

Of the two HDR-supporting games I have, only one works with the WDDM 2.2 drivers (Hitman) and that only works totally correctly if I enable the HDR slider, set my color output setting to 4:2:0/12-bit and set the resolution to 3840X2160 in fullscreen exclusive mode. Unfortunately, my card can't really handle gaming in 4K, so this *looks* pretty but isn't really playable. If I set the resolution to 1920X1080 in 4:2:0/12-bit I get wrong colors (red is purple kind of wrong) and if I send 1920X1080 in 4:2:2/12-bit or 10-bit I get correct colors and HDR output, but also get horrible banding.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 10:13   #43874  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
@madshi, I don't know whether this is just an aesthetic glitch, or whether this is specific to my system, but I've noticed that my queues periodically seem to empty for a moment.
Are you using a 3DLUT? If you are, you might be hitting this performance issue.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 14:13   #43875  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Are you using a 3DLUT? If you are, you might be hitting this performance issue.
I am using a 3DLUT, but this seems to happen with a reasonably set frequency (once every few seconds) and I'm not sure anything about the video stands out. Still, perhaps having a look at the detailed breakdown would be a good idea.

Edit: Oh, and the video I noticed this on most recently is the VOD of a livestream, which are composed of many segments. Perhaps this is happening on segment boundaries? I'm not sure how to confirm that.

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 25th May 2017 at 14:15.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 04:29   #43876  |  Link
oddball

Thanks for finally getting HDR passthru working on AMD GPU's.

Now can you figure out a way to automatically switch Win10 CU to HDR when required? Having to manually switch to HDR mode in Win10 settings each time is a pain. If I leave it on HDR everything else looks over saturated with blown out highlights.

EDIT: OK there is a problem. Even if I disable HDR mode in Win10 CU HDR is still getting sent. Even if I disable passthru in MadVR it still outputs as HDR. Only if I turn off DX11 does it not send everything as HDR.
EDIT2: And now after a hard reboot it's back to how it was before with HDR not working correctly. HDR mode is enabled. HDR shows on my TV but the colors are all washed out.

EDIT3: THERE BE BUGS CAPTAIN!

OK I can get HDR passthru working correctly ONLY if I do the following.

1. Make sure HDR is enabled in Win10 CU.
2. Disable Full screen Exclusive in MadVR.
3. Click on the MadVR icon. If I click away or pause the video the colors go back to being washed out and the brightness drops. I can only get proper HDR if I click on the MadVR system tray icon and don't click away from it!

If I disable Win10 CU HDR mode and do the same thing the colors become over saturated and whites get blown out when I click on the MadVR icon. If I go into MadVR settings while the HDR video is still playing and enabled full screen exclusive and apply it clicking on the icon brings back correct HDR passthu and I can even click away and pause it. But if I exit playback and try again it will not display HDR passthru no matter what.

Madshi can you clue me in on what may be happening here?

Oh and I have just discovered if I move the mouse cursor down to the bottom of the TV screen the playback options pop up and HDR shows correctly. But if I move the mouse back up and the playback options vanish it goes back to looking washed out.

EDIT4: (This is getting silly) I have now discovered that if I hover the mouse over some icons in the system tray it does the same thing (switches between correct HDR output and washed out modes). But not all of them. I can hover the mouse over notifications, the network icon, Kaspersky, safely remove hardware and MPC's icon. But icons like volume don't do it. I can only assume it's some kind of bug either in Win10 or AMD's drivers.

Last edited by oddball; 26th May 2017 at 06:58.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 11:40   #43877  |  Link
ph123uk

Quote:
Hi MadshI, the movies and TV app does not play the files since updating to creators update, it used to play them fine with HDR colours.

HDR games work flawlessly, Mass effect andromeda, resident evil, have completed both and they trigger HDR mode on the TV when in full screen mode (without having the HDR slider "on" in windows 10)

If I enable the slider in windows 10 it triggers HDR mode on the TV instantly, on desktop, and stays in HDR mode no matter what you do, it sadly blows out all highlights and gives a greenish tint to all items on desktop, it looks horrid, BUT plays the HDR movie fine in MPC-HD with Madvr, the colours are correct, it's simply just I have to enable, then disable HDR mode everytime I want to watch a movie in MPC.
ph123uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 12:24   #43878  |  Link
Damien147

I have a 60 hz TV.Is there any benefit enabling smooth motion for 25/29/30 fps movies?
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 12:53   #43879  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
I have a 60 hz TV.Is there any benefit enabling smooth motion for 25/29/30 fps movies?
If you can switch to a refresh rate equivalent to each movie framerate, I'd say no. But Smooth Motion works really well if you don't want to go through the hassle of custom resolutions/refresh rates/etc.

You might want to read the guide I wrote about the related problems: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173571

If you use Smooth Motion you can forget about that. I choose to care but, again, Smooth Motion does an excellent job.

Edit: one thing I forgot: Smooth Motion uses some GPU resources that you might decide are better spent on other portions of madVR. You need to test stuff to understand what might be better for you.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 14:54   #43880  |  Link
sauma144

Is there a reason why madVR doesn't/can't have a reclock feature like on MPDN or Kodi?
Is it because it can't affect audio?
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling