Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th December 2016, 23:41   #41241  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
I have a 1440p 27 inch screen and NGU with DVD content looks rather ugly. The source isn't very good and NGU creates razor sharp edges that make the image look processed. Only softening edges and adding grain improve the image, but I don't see why that should be optional. It should look right at all times instead of looking the way it does.
What if the source is good? Also madVR isn't just for you.

I think colored noise for dithering is evil and should be removed but lots of other people like it so I am happy with it even being the default. It is shocking how different people's tastes are, don't assume your's are objectively more correct.

Pointless settings, like 128 neuron NNEDI3 doubling for chroma, is not the same thing as how sharp you prefer.
Old 5th December 2016, 23:46   #41242  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
I have a 1440p 27 inch screen and NGU with DVD content looks rather ugly. The source isn't very good and NGU creates razor sharp edges that make the image look processed. Only softening edges and adding grain improve the image, but I don't see why that should be optional. It should look right at all times instead of looking the way it does.
I actually like NGU much more than NNEDI for DVDs upscaled to 1440p. Even with some old films with a very poor PQ (for example Dersu Uzala - 1975), it brings out quite a bit more fine details and is noticeably sharper - which I like. And I'm not applying any post processing - just NGU very high + SSIM downscaling (versus NNEDI3 256, JincAR and SuperRes).

BTW I may have found a bug - when I switch between profiles (I made a NNEDI+SR and Jinc+SR profile) then back to my NGU profile I see SuperRes being applied after the chroma upscaling (only). But after a fresh start (NGU is my default profile) or if I restart the player it is not. It's only a couple of ms and it's only chroma but I'm pretty sure that's not intended

Last edited by kalston; 5th December 2016 at 23:53.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 00:18   #41243  |  Link
Uoppi

Quote:
madshi, perhaps you should make NGU use soften edges all the time [...] Full HD only needs about a value of 1 as most sources are clean.
You mean for 1080p content on a UHD tv? What I mean is, soften edges/add grain cannot be enabled if there's no upscaling, right (1080p on a 1080p tv)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Doesn't that trade quality for performance option already do this? Don't take away my chroma doubling, my room is cold enough as it is.
Actually, I'm forced to use this trade quality option because otherwise UHD videos on my 1080p screen end up with crazy high rendering times. Like 200+ (!) ms compared to the ~30 ms I get with it enabled.

Could someone explain to me what exactly is happening to chroma in that scenario (native UHD video to 1080p screen downscale), given the dramatic performance difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
I think you can remove all the LL variants from the luma downscaling after doubling drop-down list, LL is not good to use after doubling.
But for direct downscales (i.e. without doubling) LL might be preferable, right? I'm not sure if I can see a difference but I use LL for UHD -> 1080p downscales, otherwise it's disabled.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 00:52   #41244  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
What if the source is good? Also madVR isn't just for you.

I think colored noise for dithering is evil and should be removed but lots of other people like it so I am happy with it even being the default. It is shocking how different people's tastes are, don't assume your's are objectively more correct.

Pointless settings, like 128 neuron NNEDI3 doubling for chroma, is not the same thing as how sharp you prefer.
I haven't come across any good DVD sources as MPEG 2 compression is quite terrible. I'll post some images to illustrate.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 01:39   #41245  |  Link
JarrettH

Twin Peaks Gold Box DVDs are a glorious SD source

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...ks_blu-ray.htm
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 01:48   #41246  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
You mean for 1080p content on a UHD tv? What I mean is, soften edges/add grain cannot be enabled if there's no upscaling, right (1080p on a 1080p tv)?
There is also 200% supersampling, this would double, apply soften edges/add grain, and then downscale to the original resolution. However, I believe AngelGraves13 is viewing on a 2560x1440 display so doubling would still activate for 1080p even without supersampling enabled.

Quote:
Actually, I'm forced to use this trade quality option because otherwise UHD videos on my 1080p screen end up with crazy high rendering times. Like 200+ (!) ms compared to the ~30 ms I get with it enabled.

Could someone explain to me what exactly is happening to chroma in that scenario (native UHD video to 1080p screen downscale), given the dramatic performance difference?
Chroma is half the resolution of luma so for UHD the chroma is already 1920x1080. You can either upscale the chroma to 3840x2160 to match the luma and then downscale everything to 1920x1080 (200+ms) or you can just downscale the luma to 1920x1080 and leave the chroma alone (30ms).

Quote:
But for direct downscales (i.e. without doubling) LL might be preferable, right? I'm not sure if I can see a difference but I use LL for UHD -> 1080p downscales, otherwise it's disabled.
Yes, but the downscaling option on the image upscaling page only applies when downscaling to a resolution larger than the source so removing the LL options there is probably reasonable.
Old 6th December 2016, 04:42   #41247  |  Link
StinDaWg

Anyone suggesting that soften edges and add grain should be forced default on everything should be slapped.

Not only is there the gpu hit, but many don't like how it looks anyways.

Last edited by StinDaWg; 6th December 2016 at 04:45.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 05:23   #41248  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Anyone suggesting that soften edges and add grain should be forced default on everything should be slapped.

Not only is there the gpu hit, but many don't like how it looks anyways.
Agreed... I still have not seen a use for them myself

QB
Old 6th December 2016, 07:14   #41249  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
By the way, I could never see any improvement with NNEDI3 16 over Jinc for chroma doubling.
Gotta know where to look and on what scenes, it's quite subtle most of the time until a whole lot of red comes into the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Indeed. Madshi's done the testing, simply tick the box if you want it.

Quote:
Pointless settings, like 128 neuron NNEDI3 doubling for chroma..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 08:51   #41250  |  Link
Backflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post
Even with some old films with a very poor PQ (for example Dersu Uzala - 1975)
http://imgur.com/a/JG6db

Heh, I got it on my hands now. Looks good to me.
Backflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 09:47   #41251  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

when you're in a lazy mood "let mVR decide" seems actually quite convenient, even though it seems too soft to my taste.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 10:20   #41252  |  Link
Oguignant

Hi, today activate the "crop black bars" option. Save 6 ms. Does anyone know of any disadvantages for using it?
Old 6th December 2016, 10:20   #41253  |  Link
Mistery 73

a greeting to all, activate 200% super sampling you think it is helpful when upscaling to 1080p to 4K? what do you advise me to use as an algorithm after doubling when upscaling to 4K 1080p and use as a quality algorithm NGU very high to me like a very defined image sharp
Mistery 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 10:23   #41254  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post
http://imgur.com/a/JG6db

Heh, I got it on my hands now. Looks good to me.
There is actually a more recent master that I should try and get my hands on (and that you own). Regardless even with the old master NGU makes it look markedly better than NNEDI IMO. So far I prefer NGU with everything I have, basically. Even though a bit of softness is tempting sometimes.

Last edited by kalston; 6th December 2016 at 10:44.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 10:28   #41255  |  Link
ttnuagmada

1080p

Can someone give me an idea of where to start as far as what the best settings would be for a bluray remux on a 1080p screen (ST60)? System has a 980ti and 3770K@4.6ghz
ttnuagmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 11:13   #41256  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post
Can someone give me an idea of where to start as far as what the best settings would be
There are no "best settings" what you're asking for is a recommendation and these will vary from person to person. You're not going to learn anything if you just copy and paste someone else's preferences.
There's no right or wrong settings with the exception of stupidly excessive chroma settings in comparison to the luma.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 12:15   #41257  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonP View Post
Want to buy new videocard for madvr.
Perfect 23.976 is needed (both ati and nvidia cards i own have 23.978 and 23.971).
Dont like custom resoluion = prefer autochange refresh rate in madvr display modes.
Advise variants pls
Amd cards do 23,976 close to perfect. With my rx480 i get no framedrops for 4-5 hours. Performance is ok wirh ngu medium or high and i expect it to get even better with newer drivers. I got a xfx480 gtr because it is relative small and fits in my htpc. If you got a bigger case i would go for a red devil becaul its more silent.

I put my nvidia gtx 1060 into my gaming pc because of the custom resolution thing and the d3d11/ed crash bug.
Old 6th December 2016, 15:49   #41258  |  Link
SpinB

Fucking Hell, madshi you really nailed it this time, the combination of NGU + super-xbr is an outstanding improvement in image quality, +/- 23% of GPU use and the laptop temps and fans are not all over the place, 0.91.4 should be renamed version 1.0.

SpinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 16:37   #41259  |  Link
Damien147

Why the hell would I want to image double(using ngu-med) and downscale a 3840x1600 movie to 4096x2160!?I get dropped frames with my rx470 like that.It's the only ''bad'' occasion though between 7-8 4k movies I've tried.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 17:17   #41260  |  Link
pose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
Why the hell would I want to image double(using ngu-med) and downscale a 3840x1600 movie to 4096x2160!?I get dropped frames with my rx470 like that.It's the only ''bad'' occasion though between 7-8 4k movies I've tried.
What the heck youre talking about? If NGU is too slow for your specific task then just dont use it.
pose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling