Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th November 2016, 12:26   #40261  |  Link
AndreaMG

"install.bat" hangs

@Madshi Windows1064bit latest and gtx970 here, "install.bat" hangs and won't install, never had such problems before.
Old 19th November 2016, 12:27   #40262  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I see what you mean. However, why is that part of the O gray in the source and not black, like the rest of the O? If the whole O had the same line thickness and line color in the source, NGU wouldn't "focus" some parts of the O but not others.
Yeah, I understand. NGU isn't tailored to this sort of content and NNEDI3 does particularly well here. If you ever did another version of this that went a little less towards ground truth then I'd give it a shot, this sort of content needs something a little less aggressive with it's line prediction.

Quote:
That's "good" to hear. So it's really mostly caused by the bad source quality. I think what you need most of all is a good algorithm to remove compression artifacts.
That would certainly help, I could take care of this in my script but that wouldn't solve my main contention with this.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 12:45   #40263  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Here's a test build for those of you who still have problems with keyboard shortcuts and NGU not working:

http://madshi.net/madVR91c.rar

Installation instructions:

1) Make sure you're in release mode.
2) Overwrite the files.
3) Activate debug mode.
4) Create a short log file and upload it somewhere for me to look at (don't attach to this forum).
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 13:04   #40264  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
I'll try my luck with D3D11 shaders, maybe that solves the issue.
I'm ready to do some tests. Let me know if I can do some testing for you.

Quote:
well maybe wait for a working RX 480 driver...

i would down grade to a better driver but i can't remember a driver that doesn't have serious issues and is working with the RX 480.
They bring new beta drivers every week atm, but sadly just optimized for new games instead of bringing a bug free fro multimedia use.
Old 19th November 2016, 13:29   #40265  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaMG View Post
@Madshi Windows1064bit latest and gtx970 here, "install.bat" hangs and won't install, never had such problems before.
same here
win10 14393 64-bit
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 13:38   #40266  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Here's a test build for those of you who still have problems with keyboard shortcuts and NGU not working:

2) Overwrite the files.
3) Activate debug mode.
4) Create a short log file and upload it somewhere for me to look at (don't attach to this forum).
I don't have time right now to try this, but 0.91b doesn't work for me either (keyboard shortcut). 0.90.24 doesn't have this issue. (Optimus system.)

Thanks for the new version!
Old 19th November 2016, 13:44   #40267  |  Link
MariaX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaX9 View Post

Performance:
R9 GPU
chroma and image doubling NGU High: 20s
chroma and image doubling NNedi 64: 22s
I did a reset of the Settings and the NGU High render time lowered to 18s with the same Settings as before. Dont know why, but the IQ look better now as before IMO.
MariaX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 13:54   #40268  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I don't have time right now to try this, but 0.91b doesn't work for me either (keyboard shortcut).
It's not supposed to work. It's supposed to create a log file with information that might help me figure out why it's not working...
Old 19th November 2016, 14:01   #40269  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
3) NGU is currently available for both doubling and chroma upscaling. The chroma upscaling algo does currently not make use of the luma channel. I plan to try adding that to a future NGU version, but that will take serious development time, so don't expect it too soon.
what does this mean specifically when watching a (non animated) movie? that the algorithm only makes use of half of the picture or picture information so to say? that it is incomplete atm?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the install and unistall batch file of that new version dont work for me. when I execute it nothing happens e.g. the black cmd window remains opened without anything happening (admin rights activated). I do have an optimus card.

is there any other way to install this manually? I did regsvr32 madvr.ax and same with madvr64.ax, but in mpc-hc madvr remains not installed in fact. its working fine with 0.90.24 though.

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 19th November 2016 at 15:05.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 14:21   #40270  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
what does this mean specifically when watching a (non animated) movie? that the algorithm only makes use of half of the picture or picture information so to say? that it is incomplete atm?
Some chroma upscaling algorithms like Bilateral and Reconstruction use the luma channel, which has twice the horizontal and vertical resolution, to guide the way they upscale the chroma channel. This can be very helpful when there's a lot of overlap between the chroma and the luma (e.g. if a change in color is usually accompanied by a change in brightness), but it can also lead to artifacts where they don't match well enough. NGU for chroma upscaling doesn't make use of this technique yet.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 14:21   #40271  |  Link
CarlosCaco

I will try NGU tonight... i don't have time now for tweaking so I want know, you guys suggest don t use any sharpener? And enhance details ?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 14:42   #40272  |  Link
heiseikiseki

Quote:

2) Overwrite the files.
3) Activate debug mode.
Thanks.
Here is my smart log download link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7p2611ene...20log.zip?dl=0

In debug mode ,when I press CTRL+J it shows the OSD.
But NGU doesn't work.
heiseikiseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 14:52   #40273  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiseikiseki View Post
Thanks.
Here is my smart log download link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7p2611ene...20log.zip?dl=0
Thanks. Are you an Optimus user? Or are you running any external software like FRAPS, f.lux, GpuZ or Reclock which might access the GPU, too?
Old 19th November 2016, 15:06   #40274  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
madVR v0.91.0 released

2) In this initial version only 2 quality levels (high and medium) are available. A future version will add at least one more level which is faster than medium, maybe there will be even more levels, I don't know yet.
How does the speed compare to older methods? Is it slower than anything? Or between some of the old ones?

Quote:
However, texture detail which is lost during downscaling cannot properly be restored. This can lead to "cartoon" type images when upscaling by large factors with full sharpness, because the edges will be very sharp, but there's no texture detail.
I don't like these add noise "enhancements". Which reminds me:

Quote:
Most movie sources have a bit of grain in them. The way the deringing works, it totally smoothes areas where ringing was detected. As a result these areas look smoother than the rest of the image, which is a visible artifact. So I'm adding grain to make these areas appear more natural and not overly smoothed over.
So what if the movie is essentially (perceptually) grainless? (Which will be more-and-more common as movie digital cameras get better)
Then this will add a grainy halo. Wouldn't a de-grain filter be more useful? (for actually grainy movies)
It would be nice to optionally disable at least.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 15:06   #40275  |  Link
heiseikiseki

Quote:
Thanks. Are you an Optimus user? Or are you running any external software like FRAPS, f.lux, GpuZ or Reclock which might access the GPU, too?
yse,I'm an Optimus user.
But none for the others.
Also I didn't met the same problem before 0.91.0.
heiseikiseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 15:12   #40276  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

GTX 1080 user - NGU doesn't pull more than 90W of GPU, it's almost as if it doesn't access all of GPU power.

How do I explain it... With NNEDI 256 and im doubling I can pull 210W from GTX 1080, but with NGU the render time grows to ~60 ms, and the GPU just doesn't get more usage, tested powers and usage / frequency using HWiNFO

As it looks right now, there's also a problem with routing the usage of GPU clocks. The GPU stays at low power even with NGU set to high in both Chroma and IMG doubling.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 15:21   #40277  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

I tried a few different configurations and situations, running Nvidia Driver 373.06, the latest stable Nvidia driver.

Seems that no app, nothing can flag NGU to use the GPU properly. On a similar note, NNEDI 256 will start dropping frames before hitting 100% GPU core, but NGU doesn't reach 40% of GPU core usage.

I don't use FRAP, f.lux, GPUZ, Reclock or other software that might access the GPU, but I have no iGPU installed (Clevo P775 disables iGPU entirely, no Optimus, no tricks).
Old 19th November 2016, 15:31   #40278  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Are you using the "ShowRenderSteps" empty file hack?
Old 19th November 2016, 15:51   #40279  |  Link
Razoola

Im on win7x64, I had the shortcut problem with the official but but the first fix you did fixed the issue for me (madVR91b).
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 15:59   #40280  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Are you using the "ShowRenderSteps" empty file hack?
Yes, I was.

Totally forgot that it was on and it might affect it.

Cleared it out, tested, 230W max power pull on GPU, max OC clocks achieved.

Nice job!

The visuals are amazing, so much sharpness. At first I almost through why do we have an edge softening algorithm, now I get it

Now time to fix my setup and settings, because my actual settings add blur and over sharpening over certain edges...

Something I noticed recently, whenever I play a really low resolution video (under 720P) there is an audible feedback coming from the GPU, like a high pitched sound, which is not related to the fan. No idea what it is...

Last edited by Georgel; 19th November 2016 at 16:12.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling