Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th November 2016, 19:04   #40141  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Where's your blog?
I meant setup guide.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 19:52   #40142  |  Link
Kotik

Does anyone know if besides xySubFilter there is another subtitle renderer that is able to properly parse and show 3D subtitles?
Kotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 20:40   #40143  |  Link
huhn

try the internal subtitle filter in MPC-BE.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 01:23   #40144  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotik View Post
Does anyone know if besides xySubFilter there is another subtitle renderer that is able to properly parse and show 3D subtitles?
ISR supports 3D subtitles for madVR for a long time in MPC-HC. Not sure if changes were backported to MPC-BE like huhn suggested.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 19:42   #40145  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
When a 3DLUT is used for HDR to SDR conversion or HDR processing, does madVR provide Peak Brightnesss metadata to the 3DLUT?
An external 3DLUT is always hard coded to one specific peak brightness value, so it doesn't make sense to provide any metadata to a 3DLUT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
By the way, could you please add a profile variable for “Output Bit Depth” to create profiles for 10 bit output?
Why? 10bit output is an option you can choose yourself. You should know if you have it enabled or not, shouldn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninf View Post
What i recognized is that enabling and disabling the "stereo switch" using the nvidia control panel also activates the windows 3D switch but
activating/deactivating the windows switch does not activate the nvidia switch...thats the issue as it seems.
Madvr seems to trigger the windows switch is that correct?
Last time I checked with the NVidia drivers I was using both switches were "identical", so to say. Changing one switch also changed the other one. If that's no longer the case that would probably classify as a GPU driver bug, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasch View Post
I have a "little" Feature request maybe its easy to do.

1. can you add keyboard shortcut for 3D swap l/r eye.
Why? This should be handled automatically, if the source file has the correct information stored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasch View Post
2. In madvr you have an detection for black bars aka 16:9(BB top under), 4:3, fullscreen...
is it possible to make an keyboard output for this? 16:9 -> Alt....+y; 4:3-> Alt...+x (just an Example)
so we could use it for automatic Ambilight switching.(with Ambibox for example)
Keyboard output? What do you mean with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by actarusfleed View Post
Hi Guys,
I own an HTPC with Win7 64bit and a GTX970
This bug happens only If I send a 2160p signal with 12bpc color depth...

[...]
Sounds like a GPU driver issue to me. Probably 2160p at 12bpc is not supported by "someone" (either the GPU or receiver or display), so somebody does some conversions somewhere which screw things up. This is most probably outside of my control and not my fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec View Post
MadVR is no longer enabling 3D Stereo in the OS automatically after Win 10 Anniversary Update for me. Resolution automatically switches to 1080 (from my 4k default), however 3D in the OS is not enabled, so video is shown 2D only. To fix, I have to manually go into nVidia settings and enable Stereoscopic 3D myself every time.
I keep saying, Windows 8.1 is the best media OS atm. I don't think this is my fault, probably a GPU driver issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninf View Post
can someone tell me what is neccessary to be able to access madvr/madtgp over the network using windows 10 (dispcal or HCFR)?

Both computers are in the same network, LAN access is enabled for madr and firewall rules are set up. But i am still not able to use the pattern generator via network.

I have tried shutting down antivirus and firewall as well... still no luck.
Madvr is only installed on the HTPC and i am trying to access it via my notebook where madvr is not installed.. i have installed it for testing and enabled to show the icon only when there is another madvr instance on the network and it does not show up as well.

Is there any way to test if madvr is working correctly and is reachable in this regard?

Anything special i need to take a look at when using windows 10 ?
I'm not aware of any special needs. It usually works just fine for me. I'm not completely sure if dispcal/HCFR allow you to ender an IP address, or if they always rely on the automatic find routine? IIRC Calman allows to enter an IP address, in case the automatic find routine fails for some weird reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipje View Post
Is it possible to somehow render MadVR's output to a file or back into vapoursynth / avisynth or something?

I'm basically looking for a way to encode HDR clips / movies to regular SDR files in the way madVr does the converting / compression. It looks awesome (to me) and that way I can take the movies with me on tablet or in the non-HDR tv in the bedroom.

I'm converting it now manually, and I tweak it manually with a final gamma adjustment and a levels/histogram adjustment to get it looking nice. But madVr's way is nicer, and my way probably works fine for shorter clips but for longer clips or full movies it will look nice in one part but horrible dark or bright in another part :S.
It's not possible atm. It's on my to do list to investigate, but it probably won't come too soon.

Fow now you could try using displayCAL to create HDR -> SDR conversion 3dluts and apply them using avisynth. I think there's some avisynth script from tritical available which can handle madVR 3dluts, IIRC? Quality should be identical to madVR, or even slightly better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaemon View Post
I'm currently trying to improve my picture in 3D mode. How can you do a calibration in 3D? Using the glasses and the colorimeter at the same time is already quite problematic but what are the other prerequisites?

Do I just need to activate the stereoscopic mode in Windows and run a calibration through madVR/DispCAL?
I suppose so. Haven't really tried myself. I hope left and right eye will need the same calibration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
All the easy shader passes take 0.49ms on my Titan X and this is independent of clock speed and resolution.
Please note that in order to measure shader passes I have to flush the GPU and wait for the rendering to succeed. This will actually slow overall rendering speed down. So I wouldn't bet on that each shader pass actually takes that much time when not forcing the GPU to flush after every render pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
Some 4chan morons would like to sue madshi:

And it seems that another one released all the madshi's algorithms for fun
Annoying, but I'm glad they did this before I published NGU and not after, so I could add a little bit (not too much, though) of protection against reverse engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistery 73 View Post
madVR prejudice exists an algorithm similar to Darbee, I want to remove the radiance between HTPC and projector though the effect of Darbee I like as much as I do?
I don't really like the look the Darbee produces, but I think you can achieve something similar by using the madVR "image enhancements" or "upscaling refinement" option. Furthermore, if you have a 4K display, the Darbee does its work in 1080p and the result is then upscaled somewhere to 4K, while with madVR you have the option to use a better quality upscaler and then sharpen in 4K, which should produce noticeably superior results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHT View Post
3D picture looks fantastic with madvr, but subtitle depth (plane) goes occasionally wrong resulting my eyes going awry. I'm watching original blu-ray ISO's and using madVR v0.90.20, LAVfilters 0.68.1. MPC-HC + Nvidias 373.06 drivers.

Been testing same movies with Pioneer blu-ray player and the subtitle depth is correct with that.
A few questions:

1) Can you describe in more detail how the subtitle depth goes "wrong"? Are the subs too far in front or too far back or jumping around or something else?

2) Does the same problem always occur at the same play time with the same movie? Or does the problem sometimes not occur if you rewind back and play the same movie section again?

3) If you can perfectly reproduce the problem and if it always occurs at exactly the same movie runtime, maybe you can create a little sample for nevcairiel and me to look at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Durden View Post
Does anybody use the "black bar detection" feature for automatic screen masquerading in your projector setups? MadVR reliable detects the actual aspect ratio and also sends this info optional to the media player (JRiverMC in my case). So it might be possible to adjust motorized screens to respective aspect ratio. I tried jriver http commands, but I don't think this info is available there. In madVR OSD the aspect ratio is shown, but I don't know how to get hands on this info. Maybe someone could give me a hint. It would be great if mediaplayer or better madVR could send UDP Broadcast with current movie aspect ratio. This might be a very cool additional feature for madVR.
One thing you could do is create profiles for different aspect ratios and setup rules to auto activate the matching profiles. Then in each profile you can define a command line which madVR shall execute if said profile gets activated.

Unfortunately the command line execution is currently not implemented yet <sigh>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
When can we expect HDR flagging on HDMI?

Based on this looks like it's possible:

https://developer.nvidia.com/display...nuts-and-bolts
The latest drivers have a better API than the one you linked to, but I don't have the API documentation yet. I'm waiting for it to be released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Durden View Post
right now a little off topic from madshis new algo, but here's a little update on my automatic screen masking topic. Madvr is abolute mad awesome! Quite everything I need is already there and right before my eyes. You can easily use profile scripts to detect AR and switch profiles accordingly. There is an option "command line to execute when this profile is activated". Unfortunately there seems to be an issue with this option. I couldn't get a simple command to be executed (e. g. curl command for http get). I also found an old bug ticket: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=210 which hasn't been resolved. If anyone has experienced the same, do you have a workaround?
I'll increase priority in my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
NG1 is excellent, but waifu does some magic on horizontal lines
Yes, it does. But it's also about a 100x slower than NGU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I'm curious about how NG1 came about more than anything. It does look to be based on NNEDI3.. did tritical have a hand in this?
I haven't heard from tritical in years. NGU is not based on NNEDI3 in any way. E.g. NNEDI3 needs OpenCL (or D3D11 shaders) to run with decent performance. NGU runs in simple PS3.0 pixel shaders.

Nobody has had a hand in NGU other than me. Well, of course I must have read several dozen scientific papers about image processing and upscaling, and I've certainly taken many good ideas from several such papers, and added a couple of my own ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
In similar news "Google has shared details on a new image enhancement technique it has developed called RAISR. RAISR, or rapid and accurate image super-resolution, incorporates machine learning to produce high-quality versions of low-quality images.
Doesn't look all that great to me, to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Well, maybe but it's kind of pointless to optimize the downscaling since that's the part we don't have usually any control over (otherwise, why would we even downscale?). Catmull-Rom in gamma light is pretty realistic. You could argue that a box filter in linear light is closer to how cameras work, but I'd be surprised if it resulted in a huge difference in the relative quality of the scaling algorithms.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmedHorror View Post
Hi, I've been trying for over an hour to fix a subtitle display problem that I'm pretty sure has to do with madVR rather than MPC-HC.

I have an "ultrawide" 21:9 aspect ratio monitor, and I use madVR's settings under Processing -> Zoom Control to zoom/crop past the hardcoded top & bottom "black bars" of most movies.

The problem is that subtitles are still rendered as if those black bars are visible.
Does madVR correctly detect the movie aspect ratio? Check the OSD (Ctrl+J) for that.

Which subtitle renderer are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
PGS does specify position, I believe nothing can move them.
Actually, madVR is supposed to be able to move PGS subtitles, unless they're encoding in "fullscreen". But most PGS subtitles I've seen are encoded in small rectangles.

I have a 21:9 setup myself and moving all subtitles (including PGS) into the active image area works just fine for me.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 20:28   #40146  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.91.0 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added new NGU (Next Generation Upscaling) algorithm
* added "soften edges" + "add grain" upscaling refinements (atm only for NGU)
* display properties can now also be profiled
A few comments about NGU:

1) Obviously, I've decided to change the name from "NG1" to "NGU". The reason is that "NG1" didn't have any mention of "upscaling" or "super resolution" in the name. So I added the "U" for "upscaling".

2) In this initial version only 2 quality levels (high and medium) are available. A future version will add at least one more level which is faster than medium, maybe there will be even more levels, I don't know yet.

3) NGU is currently available for both doubling and chroma upscaling. The chroma upscaling algo does currently not make use of the luma channel. I plan to try adding that to a future NGU version, but that will take serious development time, so don't expect it too soon.

4) NGU doesn't need OpenCL, DirectCompute or D3D11. It runs fine with D3D9, so it should run fine in XP.

5) A word about "ideal upscaling": When trying to upscale a low-res image, it's possible to get the edges very sharp and very near to the "groundtruth" (the original high-res image the low-res image was created from). However, texture detail which is lost during downscaling cannot properly be restored. This can lead to "cartoon" type images when upscaling by large factors with full sharpness, because the edges will be very sharp, but there's no texture detail. In order to soften this problem, I've added options to "soften edges" and "add grain". Here's a little comparison to show the effect of these options:

low-res image -- | -- straight NGU -- | -- NGU + "Soften Edges" + "Add Grain" -- | -- Jinc AR

I hope these extra options will make NGU acceptable for all of you, including those who preferred Jinc so far.

Now I'd like your feedback:

1) Do we still need NNEDI3 image doubling? Or can NGU completely replace it?
2) Do we still need SuperRes (image doubling)? Or can NGU completely replace it?
3) Do we still need NEDI image doubling?

I'll not ask about super-xbr image doubling yet because I've not scaled NGU down to that performance level yet.
Old 18th November 2016, 20:46   #40147  |  Link
Dreamland

Excuse me for my very bad english
Thx for new great release !
I can't install new release MadVr on win 10 Anniversary Update ( 1607 ) 64 Bit

Last edited by Dreamland; 18th November 2016 at 21:43.
Dreamland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 20:51   #40148  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Did you have an older version installed? In that case you can just copy the files over, no need to uninstall again. Otherwise try right click -> run as admin. If that also doesn't help, you may have to run "regsvr32 madVR.ax" manually in an admin command line window.
Old 18th November 2016, 20:51   #40149  |  Link
toniash

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.91.0 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added new NGU (Next Generation Upscaling) algorithm
* added "soften edges" + "add grain" upscaling refinements (atm only for NGU)
* display properties can now also be profiled

I'll not ask about super-xbr image doubling yet because I've not scaled NGU down to that performance level yet.
Thanks Madshi! Very good job

Where do I can find soften edges and add grain?

I'm waiting for a more scaled down version , too hungry for me (GTX 730)

Last edited by toniash; 18th November 2016 at 21:06.
toniash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 20:59   #40150  |  Link
Dreamland

Quote:
Did you have an older version installed? In that case you can just copy the files over, no need to uninstall again. Otherwise try right click -> run as admin. If that also doesn't help, you may have to run "regsvr32 madVR.ax" manually in an admin command line window.
I have older version inside MPC HC folder and works very well ..
this release doesnt work (click -> run as admin as always )

edit

copy the files over an older last version and works

Last edited by Dreamland; 18th November 2016 at 21:06.
Old 18th November 2016, 21:03   #40151  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamland View Post
I have older version inside MPC HC folder and works very well ..
this release doesnt work (click -> run as admin as always )
Does the old version still work? If yes, just copy the new files over the old files and you should be good to go.
Old 18th November 2016, 21:18   #40152  |  Link
Dreamland

I copy the files over MadVr 0.90.24 ( no unistall )

and now i have new release

Old 18th November 2016, 21:25   #40153  |  Link
Zulithe

Quote:
I used the manual method you just described. But I can also confirm that the .bat file does not work on Windows 10 anniversary update (all other updates installed). Previously it worked fine. It just shows a black screen now. This is with running it as Admin, too.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 21:28   #40154  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Does the 90.24 batch file still work? Just wondering if something unexpected changed in 91.0 or if the anniversary update is causing the issue.
Old 18th November 2016, 21:35   #40155  |  Link
Zulithe

Quote:
Does the 90.24 batch file still work? Just wondering if something unexpected changed in 91.0 or if the anniversary update is causing the issue.
Yes that batch file still works. i just rolled back to 90.24 using the old .zip. couldn't get the new version to work even when manually registering it. copy over method was the only one that eventually let me use 91.0

Last edited by Zulithe; 18th November 2016 at 21:38.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 21:36   #40156  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Interesting, must be my mistake then.
Old 18th November 2016, 21:37   #40157  |  Link
sneaker_ger

madVR v 0.91.0 doesn't react to any keyboard shortcuts for me. Old version fine. Resetting settings doesn't help. 32 bit and 64 bit affected. MPC-HC + MPC-BE affected. Windows 7 x64 SP1.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/bcop6k (log, start video in player, press ctrl+j, close player)
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 21:38   #40158  |  Link
imhh11

thanks for the new version. But i cant install it too. Admin or not.
Keyboard shortcuts are not working too.

Last edited by imhh11; 18th November 2016 at 21:44.
imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 21:39   #40159  |  Link
huhn

FHD to UHD 23p
nnedi3 64 luma only cost about 17 ms
NGU high quality luma only takes about 71 ms
nnedi3 256 luma only cost about 67ms

this is not working as intended or?

edit: installer is broken for me too.
edit2: RX 480 at 1236 mhz

Last edited by huhn; 18th November 2016 at 21:42.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 21:40   #40160  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
madVR v 0.91.0 doesn't react to any keyboard shortcuts for me. Old version fine. Resetting settings doesn't help. 32 bit and 64 bit affected. MPC-HC + MPC-BE affected. Windows 7 x64 SP1.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/bcop6k (log, start video in player, press ctrl+j, close player)
Strange. madVR must be thinking your running it inside of a debugger or something. Do you have any debugger type of stuff running?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling