Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th September 2016, 08:20   #39601  |  Link
huhn

that's the file name thing: levels: levels=PC|TV|fullrange|limited|doubleExp|tripleExp *range= is synonymous

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171787
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 12:10   #39602  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pose View Post
This guide is terrible honestly. The worst guide ive seen in a while. Ive spend a lot of time and still couldn't make it work.
I don't want to pick a fight or anything but still... you say it's terrible and yet you haven't posted asking for help. I (and hannes69) have invested a lot of time to write it, hoping for it to be clear enough. If it isn't I've openly stated that I'm all for changing it for the better (and I have done so upon suggestions received).

Hannes69 has worked on a program that will simplify some of the calculations needed and streamlines the process. We are currently testing.

But really, if anyone finds the guide too complicated or is in need of help, please post there. I will gladly help to the best of my ability.

Thank you.

Edit: also, for ryrynz, the fact that you have a working starting point doesn't mean you'll have perfect playback. Check the stats in madVR. The point of the guide was not to have an "okay" setting, the point of the guide is having a perfect setting. One that moves the drops/repeats outside the normal usage range (once you reach... 5 or 6 hours, chances are you'll never experience one, considering the material we watch usually).

Last edited by ashlar42; 30th September 2016 at 12:14.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 13:49   #39603  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
I don't want to pick a fight or anything but still... you say it's terrible and yet you haven't posted asking for help. I (and hannes69) have invested a lot of time to write it, hoping for it to be clear enough. If it isn't I've openly stated that I'm all for changing it for the better (and I have done so upon suggestions received).

Hannes69 has worked on a program that will simplify some of the calculations needed and streamlines the process. We are currently testing.

But really, if anyone finds the guide too complicated or is in need of help, please post there. I will gladly help to the best of my ability.

Thank you.

Edit: also, for ryrynz, the fact that you have a working starting point doesn't mean you'll have perfect playback. Check the stats in madVR. The point of the guide was not to have an "okay" setting, the point of the guide is having a perfect setting. One that moves the drops/repeats outside the normal usage range (once you reach... 5 or 6 hours, chances are you'll never experience one, considering the material we watch usually).
For me it's only guide that have real important content... i really like it and I glad you for the hard work...
if people be persistent certanly the guide will bring good results
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 17:25   #39604  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Is there a way to tell madvr to use double expanded range for a specific file every time? I've heard you can add something into the filename, but what about a header in the mkv or a tag?
You can add it to the directory name too, if you don't want to have to edit a lot of file names.

No header or tag for mkv, it would be an odd custom one and double expanded isn't something that should be part of normal video spec, imo.
Old 30th September 2016, 17:43   #39605  |  Link
JarrettH

Thanks ShiftyFella and Asmodian
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 19:55   #39606  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
You can add it to the directory name too, if you don't want to have to edit a lot of file names.

No header or tag for mkv, it would be an odd custom one and double expanded isn't something that should be part of normal video spec, imo.
Yes I know but Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake has incorrect mastering of black levels.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 22:36   #39607  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Is it possible to add profiles for 3dluts? Or maybe a keyboard shortcut to switch them? My plasma calibrates completely differently at different refresh rates so this would be very useful.
It already can be done. I have a different 3DLUT for 24Hz when my Plasma uses a 96Hz refresh than I do when it's refreshing at 60Hz. You can create a profile rule based on refresh rate and change between them automatically.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 23:50   #39608  |  Link
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I don't know but it seems I am the only person on the planet who never got this to work, for whatever reason (in Kodi + DSPlayer).

The tag for double expansion is doing absolutely nothing at all (I posted about it here a few months back) but fortunately the black and white level tags DO work, so that I am able to achieve a similar result. So all is well but it is an odd thing for sure.

Last edited by Uoppi; 30th September 2016 at 23:53.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 05:29   #39609  |  Link
robl45

Weird problem tonight maybe due to win10 update. Half the time I would play movie it would show queue for render and present at 1-2 instead of 11-12 or whatever. It was also randomly picking 24 Hz or 23.976 when it always picked 23.976 before and my queues were always near full. Anyone else have this or have any ideas?
robl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 05:59   #39610  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
Anyone else have this or have any ideas?
First thing I'd do is reinstall the graphics driver.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 12:06   #39611  |  Link
Kotik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post

Thank you.
I did follow the guide and i am very happy with the results, i don't find the guide complicated. People tend to confuse the guide with the procedure itself. The guide is fine, people have to understand that the nature of the procedure is complicated, yes.... sometimes in our lives we have to press more than one button to get what we want.

Thanx for the guide and sorry for the off topic.
Kotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 01:28   #39612  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quick discovery that didn't come as obvious at first:

For most videos,

We need to disable

Rendering -> trade quality for performance -> use DXVA chroma upsampling when doing native DXVA decoding.

If we don't disable this, the chroma is not upsampled using madVR algorithms, or at least so it seems.

If anyone has better knowledge, please do expand on this. One thing that I noticed is that if we disable that option, the render times grow significantly.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 01:49   #39613  |  Link
nussman

"Use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing native DXVA decoding"
What do you expect with this option checked?

Of course then DXVA chroma upscaling is used and not madVR algo's ("when doing ..." ).
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 02:28   #39614  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Rendering -> trade quality for performance -> use DXVA chroma upsampling when doing native DXVA decoding.

If we don't disable this, the chroma is not upsampled using madVR algorithms, or at least so it seems.

If anyone has better knowledge, please do expand on this. One thing that I noticed is that if we disable that option, the render times grow significantly.
Native DXVA decoding is not recommended for use with madVR in general (copy-back is preferred). This is why this option is the default even though it silently bypasses madVR's chroma upscaling option.

As you noticed it is faster and the only reason to use DXVA native would be if you were very performance starved, in which case DXVA chroma scaling is probably a good idea.
Old 3rd October 2016, 05:47   #39615  |  Link
neno

a crash issue playing 4k video

WIN10 X64
RX480 8GDDR5 LASTEST DRIVER
LATEST MADVR/BLUESKYFRC

Hi~
I find that when playing 4K avc video(1080 is OK), my potplayer crashes as soon as I pause the video.
Interestingly, if I choose to use EVR, it is OK.
On the other hand, if I do not use BLUESKYFRC(a frame interpolation tool, see: http://bluesky23.yukishigure.com/en/BlueskyFRC.html), it is also OK.
The issue occurs when using BOTH of them, only in 4K playing. I have tried many settings, the FSE mode may play the 4k avc video to the end and can seek without crash, but as soon as I pause, crash! Other mode and queue size like new/old path D3D9/11 windowed and small/large queue do not make things better, and sometime it crashes in playing.
Other madvr settings is just the deafault, and no smooth video, no active scaling, and refinements.

I would appreciate it if anyone can help in this issue and any ideas for finding the cause is welcome.
THX.

Last edited by neno; 3rd October 2016 at 05:52.
neno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 09:52   #39616  |  Link
HillieSan

a crash issue playing 4k video

Quote:
Originally Posted by neno View Post
WIN10 X64
RX480 8GDDR5 LASTEST DRIVER
LATEST MADVR/BLUESKYFRC

Hi~
I find that when playing 4K avc video(1080 is OK), my potplayer crashes as soon as I pause the video.
Madvr has issues. Some blame the driver, but the issues show that it is madvr that kills the driver, potplayer or MPC-HC in various circumstances. Other filters are working fine.

Upscaling and going to full screen is a serious problem with madvr. Can you upscale 1080p to 4K and play in full screen mode using madVR with NEDDI3 or Super-xbr? I've tried many settings but nothing works. Only moving to another renderer works here.

This seems to be an old problem and many experience this problem. I cannot find a fix on the internet that works for me. Do you experience this problem and is there a solution?

Last edited by HillieSan; 3rd October 2016 at 13:32.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:38   #39617  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
if I do not use BLUESKYFRC(a frame interpolation tool, see: http://bluesky23.yukishigure.com/en/BlueskyFRC.html), it is also OK.
The issue occurs when using BOTH of them, only in 4K playing.
Oh cool, how does it compare to mVR's FRC? No workee with a HD7850?

I'm curious how it can even technically work as an extra layer after mVR, no hiccuping?
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 13:30   #39618  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
WIN10 X64
Interestingly, if I choose to use EVR, it is OK.
On the other hand, if I do not use BLUESKYFRC(a frame interpolation tool, see: http://bluesky23.yukishigure.com/en/BlueskyFRC.html), it is also OK.
The issue occurs when using BOTH of them, only in 4K playing.
I cannot reproduce this problem. I use both without problems. I use the latest Potplayer64.

You have confused me. If you are using EVR and BlueskyFRC then this is not madvr related, is it? Do not run SVP at the same time with BlueskyFRC.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 14:12   #39619  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Oh cool, how does it compare to mVR's FRC? No workee with a HD7850?

I'm curious how it can even technically work as an extra layer after mVR, no hiccuping?
it does the "same" as SVP so it can't be compared to madVR FRC.

to give you an idea: https://abload.de/img/remindsmeofsvpkcauz.png

and like SVP is runs before madVR so no real problem.

i would like to do more tests but i did the mistake of buying an AMD card again. delivering an image to the screen is already a huge struggle...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 17:42   #39620  |  Link
neno

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
I cannot reproduce this problem. I use both without problems. I use the latest Potplayer64.

You have confused me. If you are using EVR and BlueskyFRC then this is not madvr related, is it? Do not run SVP at the same time with BlueskyFRC.
BlueskyFRC almost dose the same as SVP, but using a feature of AMD GPU, not mainly relying on the CPU like SVP.
So I just do not use SVP at all.
To clarify my situation(WIN10x64/RX480 8G/Potplayer) and not confuse anyone, I summary it as below, hoping a solution:

1080Pvideo+madVR+Bluesky=OK
4Kvideo+madVR+Bluesky=CRASH(interestingly, 100% as soon as I pause the play in ANY mode, and plus random crash in modes except FSE)
4K+EVR+Bluesky=OK
4K+madVR=OK

Here, no active image scaling(for it is 4K), no smooth video, nor image refinements in madvr. Various queue size also tried.
When reproducing it, please be sure you have an AMD GCN GPU and turn on fluid motion in Radeon Setting and BlueskyFRC is actually working(get interpolated frames).

In 4K+madVR+Bluesky, I wonder why I can play a video to the end in FSE mode and even seek to any position in the bar, and forward/backward, but can not pause the video(crash). Other modes crashes randomly in playing and also 100% after pause.
Can this suggest something and get some idea or direction or clues? How can a pause 100% leads to crash?

Last edited by neno; 3rd October 2016 at 20:10.
neno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling