Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 4th August 2016, 12:33   #1061  |  Link
frank
Banned

I found a workaround.
png didn't work.

Conversion with Windows Paint ->24 bit bmp
and back to jpg works.

I cannot test in W7 anymore. I think the issue is not in W10.

Last edited by frank; 4th August 2016 at 12:37.
Old 4th August 2016, 12:39   #1062  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Great! Note that you don't need to convert to JPG again. If the input image is in PNG format, it is resized if necessary to PNG too, or it is kept unchanged. In all other formats, it is converted to JPG anyway. (It's necessary because the MKV standard supports the thumbnail images in JPEG and PNG formats only.) So, you can convert to BMP, and let BD3D2MK3D convert the BMP to JPG.

Anyway, I would like your original JPG image. Perhaps I'll find a workaround, but I need an example. (I can't remember what image or BD has caused that problem here.)
Old 27th August 2016, 19:06   #1063  |  Link
robl45

is this supposed to convert to SBS using hardware encoding?
Old 27th August 2016, 19:19   #1064  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

No. The encoding is done with x264 or x265, and they are software-only encoders. BTW, GPU based encoders are well known for their relative low quality. x264 is certainly the best free AVC encoder currently available. IMO, it is much better to spend a relatively long time in the encoding process and have a good compression without losing much quality than using a fast but bad encoder.

Last edited by r0lZ; 27th August 2016 at 19:21.
Old 27th August 2016, 20:18   #1065  |  Link
robl45

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
No. The encoding is done with x264 or x265, and they are software-only encoders. BTW, GPU based encoders are well known for their relative low quality. x264 is certainly the best free AVC encoder currently available. IMO, it is much better to spend a relatively long time in the encoding process and have a good compression without losing much quality than using a fast but bad encoder.
no problem, I thought I had read it did, my mistake, it crashed part way through doing the encoding, not sure what happened.
Old 28th August 2016, 17:17   #1066  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The Intel MVC decoder can use hardware acceleration if you have the right CPU (supporting QuickSync) and the latest Intel drivers, but the gain is not very important.

For the crash, be sure to launch __ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER.cmd and not directly __ENCODE_3D.cmd, as otherwise the PC can go to sleep or hibernate mode during the encoding, and x264 doesn't like that at all! Also, if the problem persists, try to turn off the hardware acceleration of the decoding with Settings -> MVC Decoder -> Hardware Acceleration -> Disabled.
Old 3rd September 2016, 00:00   #1067  |  Link
konikpolny

making quick tests

Hi r0lZ,
After a long break I can finally get back to BD3D2MK3D to make my MK3Ds, and I just thought that it would be very useful to be able to make a quick and short sample by selecting specific chapter(s) to do. What I mean is to have something similar to handbrake where one can select the duration from-to chapter.
In case of BD3D2MK3D this could produce a fully functional quick test with all the config files as well and would definitely be helpful in making decisions as to what settings to use.
What do you think?
Old 3rd September 2016, 08:57   #1068  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Unfortunately, currently it's not possible. All MVC decoders must decode all frames, starting at the first frame, and therefore they are currently unable to seek to a certain point in the movie to begin the decoding at that point. (In fact, there is a way to drop the beginning of the movie and start to encode only after a certain frame number, but it will be necessary to decode the beginning of the movie anyway, and that's long and useless.) That means that there is no practical way to encode only a specific chapter, or to provide the starting and ending frame numbers.

However, if you really want to do a short test, you can manually change the number of frames to encode in the __ENCODE_3D.cmd file. (You have to change that number two times, or 4 times if you encode in 2-pass mode.) That way, you can restrict the encoding to the beginning of the movie, and that should be sufficient to do a quick test. But it is impossible to encode the middle or end of the movie only, and therefore I will not implement that feature in the GUI. Sorry.

Note also that if you want to build a short MK3D after having computed the full movie, you can use the Mkvtoolnix GUI to cut a short sample anywhere in the movie. That may be handy if you need to provide a sample, but you'll have to encode the full movie anyway.

Last edited by r0lZ; 3rd September 2016 at 09:07.
Old 3rd September 2016, 12:28   #1069  |  Link
konikpolny

Thanks for the workaround.
I guess you would have done it by now if it were possible.
Old 6th September 2016, 14:38   #1070  |  Link
slavanap

r0lZ,
Quote:
All MVC decoders must decode all frames, starting at the first frame, and therefore they are currently unable to seek to a certain point in the movie
If you remember, ssifSource decoder is able to seek (because FFMpegSplitter is able to do so in .ssif files), although seek is not frame accurate.

konikpolny,
Looks like link in the post got expired, although sources are available now. And you can get binaries here.

Last edited by slavanap; 6th September 2016 at 14:59. Reason: fixing sources link
Old 7th September 2016, 09:55   #1071  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

That's right, but I don't want to rewrite BD3D2MK3D again (almost) from scratch just to implement a way to seek in the video. And IIRC SsifSource is much slower than the current solutions. I didn't know that its seek is not frame accurate, but it's another reason to not recommend it. But you're right. I should have written that the MVC decoders currently supported by BD3D2MK3D or based on the Intel MVC decoder are not able to seek.
Old 10th September 2016, 14:39   #1072  |  Link
slavanap

No offense.

Quote:
That's right, but I don't want to rewrite BD3D2MK3D again (almost) from scratch just to implement a way to seek in the video.
I didn't mean it that way! A person asked for a possibility of cutting source video during encoding. I just wanted to fix your "impossible" answer. This is all. My answer doesn't have meaning "add this solution". I wanted to say that this is impossible with BD3D2MK3D, but you can use other difficult way if you really want to achieve what you want. This is it.

Quote:
And IIRC SsifSource is much slower than the current solutions.
Well, this is that slow because it's using original sample_decode.exe from Intel SDK. If any all those people who developed their fast solutions wanted to make it faster, they could develop their own optimized sample_decode.exe version that would still work with ssifSource. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to optimize sample_decode.exe myself. Still, the fact is that all these fast solutions are close-source while mine became open.
Quote:
I didn't know that its seek is not frame accurate, but it's another reason to not recommend it.
It is I-frame accurate. I-frames usually appear every second of the video. 1-second accurate solution is something. And with SequentialToSeekable you can make it to start from the frame you want.
Quote:
But you're right. I should have written that the MVC decoders currently supported by BD3D2MK3D or based on the Intel MVC decoder are not able to seek.
The latter is incorrect though. ssifSource is based on Intel SDK. The truth is that all decoders that work with .h264 files are unable to seek, because .h264 files does not contain an index, meanwhile, for example, .ssif file does. tsMuxeR.exe just ignores the index while extracting .h264 streams from .ssif/.m2ts file.
Old 11th September 2016, 16:08   #1073  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I agree. Sorry if my answer was not accurate. BTW, when I wrote "(In fact, there is a way to drop the beginning of the movie and start to encode only after a certain frame number, but it will be necessary to decode the beginning of the movie anyway, and that's long and useless.)", I was referring to your SequentialToSeekable plugin. It is very useful, but since the whole beginning of the movie must be decoded anyway, it's slow and it's not really a good solution to encode only from a certain point. But that works, and it is relatively easy to modify a BD3D2MK3D project to use it if it's really necessary.

However, honestly, I don't think that there is an obvious advantage in the possibility to encode only a part of a movie, at least with BD3D2MK3D. Usually, the whole movie must be encoded, or if the BD is made of several episodes, there are almost always titles containing one episode only on the same BD. And the samples that may be useful in some circumstances can be easily extracted from the whole MKV, as I have explained above.

In fact, Donald Graft has proposed to improve his DGMVCDecode plugin by adding the possibility to seek. That requires to process the input file first to build an index and save it to HDD (as FFMpegSource2 does when necessary), and that takes some time, but when the index exists, the seeks are immediate and frame accurate. Of course, I have accepted his proposition, but he has never released the new version, probably because he has not enough time to do it. Perhaps with that solution I would have added the starting and ending points in the BD3D2MK3D GUI, although there are other problems to solve, such as how to cut the audio and subtitles properly (but that should be easy).

Anyway, thanks for the precisions and for your work.

Last edited by r0lZ; 11th September 2016 at 16:11.
Old 17th September 2016, 08:44   #1074  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.93

Here is v0.93, that fixes several minor issues:
Quote:
v0.94 (September 17, 2016)
- Fix: BDSup2Sub crash when the language code of the stream to convert is "und" or "un" (undefined).
- Fix: Subtitles not converted to 3D when the language code is not known by BDSup2Sub.
- Fix: The wrong error messages about renaming subtitle files in the BD3D2MK3D log have been removed.
- Fix: Workaround for a bug in ImageMagick when converting an image from sRGB JPEG to PNG.
- Updated the MkvToolnix exes to the latest version (v9.4.2)
- Updated the x265 exes to the latest versions (2.0+55 or 2.0+54)
Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Old 27th September 2016, 23:44   #1075  |  Link
konikpolny

r0lZ,
I noticed that if I select h265 HEVC encoder and I click "Do it!" to create the project files, a number of subtitles files are missing when compared to doing the similar with the h264 AVC encoder. These include xml 2D picture subs, and all the 3D planes, but most importantly all the chosen 3D streams (idx/sub, sup) are missing. Strangely the 2D idx/subs and sups are not affected.

Last edited by konikpolny; 27th September 2016 at 23:47.
Old 28th September 2016, 08:41   #1076  |  Link
konikpolny

I should have added that it happens when doing encoding for full-SBS. And that actually seems to matter.
Old 28th September 2016, 09:13   #1077  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The answer is in your second post. The problem is not at all related to h265, and it's not a bug.

Unfortunately, there is a big limitation in the BD SUP and DVD SUB formats. The picture dimension must be standard (1920x1080 for HD), and the width (or height for T&B) cannot be multiplied by two. Therefore, it is possible to generate 3D subtitles for Half-SBS or Half-T&B, but not for Full-SBS and Full-T&B. (A similar limitation exists for Frame Sequential, but for other reasons.) However, it is possible to hardcode the 3D subtitles over the image (with the option in the last tab) without problem, regardless of the output format (because the subtitles are hardcoded on the full left and right frames before they are combined together). So if you really want to encode in Full-SBS and you want the correct 3D subtitles, hardcoding a single subtitle stream is your only option.

Note that this is briefly explained in the warning dialog that appears when you untick the "Half" option in the last tab.

If your player supports (correctly!) the ASS (Advanced SubStation Alpha) subtitle format, you may want to convert the subtitles to ASS 3D. As far as I know, ASS has not that picture format limitation and should be OK for Full-SBS or Full-T&B. But it's a text-based format, so you have to either convert the original SUP to SRT (with SubtitleEdit) or download a SRT for your movie first. Then you will have to convert the SRT to ASS 3D with the last option of the Subtitle Tools menu of BD3D2MK3D, and either modify the __MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt file to include the new subtitle stream or mux it manually with MkvToolnix. And the result might not be perfect. If you want to try that method and you don't understand how to generate the correct 3D ASS, ask here for help. It's not really easy, but it's feasible.

Last edited by r0lZ; 28th September 2016 at 09:33.
Old 28th September 2016, 13:22   #1078  |  Link
konikpolny

R0Iz, thanks for reminding me about 3D sup/sub streams limitations for Full-SBS/TB . Now I do remember reading about it before.

However, I still think that these files should be generated and made available for 'other' use even if not being muxed in the final MKV due to their incompatibilities.

The main reason why I do the full-SBS is to have one best quality copy for both 3D and 2D. For watching I only use software players (my computer) and a projector. When having 2 full frames I can enjoy watching 2D in its original full format and best quality rather than having it stretched from its squeezed half. In case of a 3D I have to adjust the aspect ratio to "squeeze" the full-SBS to half-SBS anyway in order for my projector to properly display the 3D. Therefore, when I make the picture appear as half-SBS I can perfectly use the 3D sub/sup subtitles meant for the half-SBS and they are loaded by the player automatically if they are made available as an external file. I have also created the .ass 3D subs but in fact I cannot even use full-SBS .ass because they don't get 'squeezed' by the player and so again I have to create half-SBS .ass 3D subtitles for my use.
So for incompatibility reasons I wouldn't even want to mux the 3D half-SBS sub/sups in the final mkv but I would need these files to be available externally.
This also regards the files for 3D planes, which are necessary to convert 2d SRT into 3d ASS, and the XML picture subtitles which are very helpful in verifying 3D-planes compatibility.

As regards the warning dialogue for Full-SBS/T&B it could inform that if 3D subtitles were selected by the user only half-SBS/TB subs/sups will be generated and they won't be muxed for incompatibility reasons. Then it would be in line with what the user selects on the "Select streams" tab.

Also, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for making the .SRT to 3D .ASS converting tool. Some italic subs may look jagged but it is an excellent tool to have! Many thanks for that!

Last edited by konikpolny; 28th September 2016 at 15:01.
Old 28th September 2016, 14:32   #1079  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, well, I understand your reasons, but your way to display the Full-SBS is very specific and not used by many users. I'm not sure that adding the 3D subtitles as Half-SBS outside the container makes much sense, except for you. Also, it is possible and easy to convert then to Half-SBS yourself. All you have to do is to note the 3D-Plane to use (It is displayed in tabs 1 and 2), then extract the 3D-Planes from the original MVC video stream (with Subtitle Tools -> Extract 3D-Plane from MVC), and convert the original 2D subtitles to 3D (with the first option in the same menu). Normally, that's straightforward and easy. At least, it's much easier than converting 2D SRT to 3D ASS.

I may add an option to generate the Half-3D subtitles anyway for Full-SBS and Full-T&B, and mux them in the final video (even if your player needs them outside) because, indeed, they can be useful if the player resizes the video itself AND if the subtitles are displayed AFTER that operation, but I will need some time. Currently, I'm busy on other things. In the meantime, you can convert the subtitles to whatever you want yourself.

The fact that you cannot use Full-SBS ASS is probably due to a bad configuration of your player. Personally, I use PotPlayer to verify the 3D movies on my PC, and it has an option to display the subtitles before or after the conversion to 3D. It's not exactly the same thing for you, but it's similar. The player must display the 3D subtitles before the conversion (because they are split later, with the video), and the 2D subtitles after the conversion (because otherwise the 2D subtitles are split in two halves). A similar option may (should?) exist for your player. If you can display the Full-3D ASS subtitles over the ORIGINAL video, and either resize the video with the player after that, or let the TV resize the video, the subtitles should be OK. Note also that it is perfectly possible to generate Half-SBS ASS subtitles with BD3D2MK3D.

Thanks for the thanks for the ASS-3D conversion tool! Note that I don't use the 3D-ASS subtitles myself, and I have not tested much that function. But I have noticed that the first subtitle was missing after converting a SRT encoded in UTF8 or UTF16 format. I have tried to fix that bug, but I'm still not sure it works fine in all cases. So, if you use that function, please verify if the first subtitle is correct and not missing, and let me know if the bug is still not fixed.
Old 28th September 2016, 19:04   #1080  |  Link
konikpolny

Quote:
I may add an option to generate the Half-3D subtitles anyway for Full-SBS and Full-T&B, and mux them in the final video (even if your player needs them outside) because, indeed, they can be useful if the player resizes the video itself AND if the subtitles are displayed AFTER that operation
I would be grateful if you could, even if added as a muxing option, and I didn't mean to say that my player needs the subtitles outside. I use either MPC-HC or PotPlayer. What I meant was that software players automatically load external subtitles and so I don't even have to bother muxing possibly incompatibile or not fully compatible subtitles. It is my own preferrence. I would have muxed them if they were fully compatible. Still they are useful and I definitely want to have them. Also, my personal opinion is that a lot of users may want to keep these subs files for future in case they want to mux/use them later or share with somebody else. After all the program generates a lot of files all of which only one final video file is to stay in the end. Why not let users decide what files they want and which files to delete.

Quote:
All you have to do is to note the 3D-Plane to use
Yes I know, but the full-SBS/T&B projects as for now don't generate the 3D planes files either. Nor the XML/PNG files, which as I said are the only acceptable input files in the "Verify the 3D-planes compatibility" Subtitle tool.

Quote:
please verify if the first subtitle is correct and not missing, and let me know if the bug is still not fixed
My 3D .ASS subtitles which I converted from the OCR'ed UTF-8 SRT seems OK and contain the 1st subtitle. I will let you know if I notice anything unusual.

Quote:
The fact that you cannot use Full-SBS ASS is probably due to a bad configuration of your player.
I have spent quite a long time with PotPlayer and couldn't really figure out what would be the best configuration in case of full-SBS MKVs, as well as my full-SBS ASS subtitles. If I change the subtitles output to be before the resizing to 3D I sometimes end up with 4 pairs of (8) 'squeezed' subtitles! As regards the video I need to change the Aspect Ratio to make it a half-SBS as my projector only supports half-SBS/T&B. The expected effect whatever it is is some kind of mysterious combination of settings for 3D video and the subtitles together. Maybe someone could suggest the best configuration especially with regards of full-SBS 3D-ASS?
Closed Thread