Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th July 2016, 17:23   #38641  |  Link
James Freeman

To solidify my statements about ABL and code values, here is an image from the LG_Chess_HDR video:
With HDR OFF, his nose has values of 255 which equate to 10,000 nit but the metadata peaks at 1000 nit.

May I suggest a solution, not only complaint.

When the measured peak white is below the peak metadata value, the measured luminance value should be stretched like it does now (if I'm not mistaken).
But when the measured peak value is higher than the metadata (like this example) the luminance should be given headroom in % (not a free lunch).

In other words, give 105% as the new luminance, and super compress anything above metadata into these 5%.
Example: If metadata is 1000nit and there is code values above that, compress them to 1050 nit.
We lose 5% in average luminance but we do not lose picture information which is way more important.

EDIT:
If we actually measure the code/bit values, many of the HDR test videos have code values above the peak metadata value, which currently madvr clips above.

Last edited by James Freeman; 11th July 2016 at 17:32.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 20:22   #38642  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
You guys know the drill: Please provide me with samples + screenshots which show that SuperRes Anti-Bloating helps in some situations, and I will reconsider. I've removed it because I couldn't really see any benefit in my own tests, and the feedback from the majority of users seemed to confirm that.
Fair enough, in order to make my screenshots comparison valid I went back to your original description of AB that went like "The new anti-bloating tries to concentrate sharpening on higher frequencies and to remove lower frequencies. I like the look that produces, but your mileage may vary", that's basically what it's boiling down to my eyes with the lighthouse picture I regularly use downscaled to 640*360 and then reupscaled to 1920*180: it looks less edgy, obviously softer and I really really dig the look on moving objects and especially on double SR refined after every 2X step in combination with 60Hz FRC and noisy low bit-rate low-resolution footage....so at the end of the day it's still entirely subjective I'm afraid? I'm just not sure what my screenshots would have to prove? Should I use test patterns in order to make it less subjective?
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 21:17   #38643  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

OK here goes, please don't shoot, 1080p original Vs SR@2 LL Vs SR@2 LL+AB75%, dithering was disabled:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/178286

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/178284

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/178285

All files can be found here.

Long story short edges are less noisy and it looks wonderful with FRC, double SR@2 after every 2X upscale looks seriously edgy otherwise IME. It might also be closer to the ground truth, at least edges would appear to be.

Last edited by leeperry; 11th July 2016 at 21:50.
Old 11th July 2016, 21:49   #38644  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
May I suggest a solution, not only complaint.

When the measured peak white is below the peak metadata value, the measured luminance value should be stretched like it does now (if I'm not mistaken).
But when the measured peak value is higher than the metadata (like this example) the luminance should be given headroom in % (not a free lunch).

In other words, give 105% as the new luminance, and super compress anything above metadata into these 5%.
Example: If metadata is 1000nit and there is code values above that, compress them to 1050 nit.
We lose 5% in average luminance but we do not lose picture information which is way more important.
But what should I do if the measured peak value is only 4% higher than the metadata? Should I still increase headroom by 5%? What if it's 7% higher? Or 170% higher? A proper solution would probably have to change the added headroom "size" depending on the amount of overshoot.

And then there's the problem that this kind of thing would require me to piece 3 line/curve segments together, which makes the math quite a bit more complicated.

Furthermore, compression already gets much stronger the higher the peak is. In order to compress a large overshoot into just 5% more room would require even stronger compression ratios which I'm not sure would look much different to clipping.

Overall I'm not sure it's worth spending lots and lots of development time and effort into a probably very small improvement like this. I'm not even sure there would be a visible benefit at all. I think the main visual problems don't come from luminance overshoots, but from highly saturated pure color highlights, as explained before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
OK here goes, please don't shoot, 1080p original Vs SR@2 LL Vs SR@2 LL+AB75%, dithering was disabled:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/178286

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/178284

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/178285

All files can be found here.

Long story short edges are less noisy and it looks wonderful with FRC and double SR@2 after every 2X upscale looks seriously edgy otherwise IME. It might also be closer to the ground truth, at least edges would appear to be.
Just to complete the picture, could you please add screenshots for the following 3 configuration variants?

1) SR@1 with AB25.
2) SR@1 with AB disabled.
3) SR disabled.

The purpose is to find out whether maybe activating AB maybe simply just decreases the effect/strength of SR without having any other benefit. Thanks.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 22:20   #38645  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Just to complete the picture, could you please add screenshots for the following 3 configuration variants?

1) SR@1 with AB25.
2) SR@1 with AB disabled.
3) SR disabled.

The purpose is to find out whether maybe activating AB maybe simply just decreases the effect/strength of SR without having any other benefit.
OK, here goes:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/178293

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/178295

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/178298

files on mega

I got a good bunch of other features enabled in the upscaling refinement window, my point was in my real-world use AB75 does wonders. Of course SR looks sharper than without but I believe the top left of the picture in my first link with SR1 looks better with AB25 than without. The whole point of AB to me is that motion looks smoother because edges aren't nearly as noisy anymore. Anyway, please bring it back
Old 11th July 2016, 22:41   #38646  |  Link
zoyd

Quote:
But what should I do if the measured peak value is only 4% higher than the metadata? Should I still increase headroom by 5%? What if it's 7% higher? Or 170% higher? A proper solution would probably have to change the added headroom "size" depending on the amount of overshoot.
I don't know what you do in a case like this. There is no part of the PQ encoding standard that allows for overshoot so I would assume it's either a bad encode or the metadata is wrong. The chess clip specifies a max luminance of 1000 nits but clearly has codes above that, especially in the chess piece highlights. I've checked both the Sony sample (bright setting sun) as well as a reference clip I have, and all codes are within their specified max luminance of 4000 nits.

no HDR processing
zoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 04:22   #38647  |  Link
Warner306

This is my previously posted comparison of SuperRes with and without anti-bloating:

I have a couple of examples of where anti-bloating removes detail that would be considered valid sharpening.

SD -> FHD
super-xbr100 + SuperRes (3)

In the first example, search for the headline "Rick Nielsen: no cheap collector" in the middle of the image. SuperRes does a good job of making the original letters more clear and easy to read. While anti-bloating returns these letters to a blurred smear.

The rest of the lettering, especially on the lower part of the guitar shows the same improvement and then degradation when anti-bloating is enabled.

Guitar
Guitar SuperRes (3)
Guitar SuperRes (3) + Anti-Bloating 100%

In the second example, look at the leather patches on Kata Mara's arm and the black guy.

Also, the objects in the shadows (top-right) become obscured when anti-bloating is enabled. SuperRes again slightly enhances the low-res original and anti-bloating effectively cancels this out.

Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four SuperRes (3)
Fantastic Four SuperRes (3) + Anti-Bloating 100%

So far, only my original test where SuperRes (3) was combined with crispen edges (1.0) did anti-bloating prove to be an effective countermeasure for SuperRes. I am thankful to see that SuperRes, at the right strength, does not oversharpen the image. This has completely changed my settings preferences.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 04:58   #38648  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Overall I'm not sure it's worth spending lots and lots of development time and effort into a probably very small improvement like this. I'm not even sure there would be a visible benefit at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
I don't know what you do in a case like this. There is no part of the PQ encoding standard that allows for overshoot so I would assume it's either a bad encode or the metadata is wrong.
I agree, it is not worth fixing a bad encoding in madVR.

Yet again, we must remember that the code values control the LED backlight, and the code value do NOT actually clip if the the backlight can't go brighter.
Lets just hope no colorist relies on that trait of current HDR TVs/mastering Monitors because in the future a TV might just show these 10,000 nit peaks and look blindingly bright in the wrong spots.

In my example with the nose and zoyds example with the chess piece the peak brightness is 10,000 nit in some places while the peak metadata is 1000 nit.
We should never see a chess piece or a human nose radiating as bright as the sun... so this LG_Chess video has some "noob" flaws in terms of HDR encoding.

I may be completely wrong and the camera actually captured 10,000 nit from the boom lights illuminating the scene and reflecting from shiny objects.
So the colorist actually did an excellent job preserving that in the encoding even though the final video was mastered for/on a 1000nit peak display.

Last edited by James Freeman; 12th July 2016 at 05:10.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 05:24   #38649  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

madshi,

What changes happened between 0.90.20 and 0.90.22 that would hurt performance? As I have said in the past, I like pushing my GPU to the max and my 720p24 profile is right on the edge (so much so that even a chroma superres of just 1 pushes it over the edge). When I tried 0.90.22 the first file I watched at 720p was actually 718 and I thought the performance hit was because of that... however later I watched one that was 720 and I could no longer maintain render queue. I rolled back to 0.90.20 and all is well again. Just curious what could have changed since I didn't see anything is the changelog for either 21 or 22. Something deeper under the hood?

QB
Old 12th July 2016, 05:33   #38650  |  Link
x7007

Hi,

What does it mean if 1080p/720p MKV movies have present queue 0-2/3 in Windowed Mode but FSE it works fine.

Asus G751JT

Windows 8.1 x64 + Potplayer x64 + Lavfilters 0.61 + DXVA2 CopyBack or CUVID + 970M + 368.69 Drivers + Potplayer Profile set to Maximum Performance - 3 Pre-rendered frames - Gsync Disabled Fixed Refresh

How can I fix it ?

x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 07:17   #38651  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I have a couple of examples of where anti-bloating removes detail that would be considered valid sharpening. (..)

Guitar
Guitar SuperRes (3)
AB100% is too high of a value IME and I rest my case that there is no such thing as "valid sharpening" to my eyes(especially with sxbr100 which is too sharp to me and so is SR3), for instance I prefer the "Nie" characters written on the left button of the guitar with AB than without. You also didn't mention whether picture was refined after every 2X upscale and what downscaler was used(I ran SSIM 2D 100%).

Anyway, it's not like anyone is forcing you to run AB on SR and I kinda rest my case that the top left corner with sxbr75+SR1 looks better with AB25 than without: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/178293

This is what AB does, it cleans edges for smoother movements. Either way there is no free lunch to be expected from upscaling, it's all about compromises and I find the AB75% compromise more than worth it as picture doesn't look harsh and oversharpened anymore.

Last edited by leeperry; 12th July 2016 at 07:34.
Old 12th July 2016, 07:51   #38652  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
T
The rest of the lettering, especially on the lower part of the guitar shows the same improvement and then degradation when anti-bloating is enabled.

Guitar
Guitar SuperRes (3)
Improvement? Anti-bloating is doing wonders here. The SuperRes only pic looks pretty nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Anyway, it's not like anyone is forcing you to run AB on SR and I kinda rest my case that the top left corner with sxbr75+SR1 looks better with AB25 than without: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/178293
The difference there is so subtle I doubt anyone would notice it.. how large is that zoom?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 09:18   #38653  |  Link
burfadel

Maybe try using a lower SuperRes number instead . The SuperRes by itself is oversharpened, with anti-bloating it's slightly blurred.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 09:24   #38654  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
Maybe try using a lower SuperRes number instead . The SuperRes by itself is oversharpened, with anti-bloating it's slightly blurred.
It's not blurred, it just doesn't have crazy amounts of haloing all over the place.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 11:27   #38655  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
What changes happened between 0.90.20 and 0.90.22 that would hurt performance? As I have said in the past, I like pushing my GPU to the max and my 720p24 profile is right on the edge (so much so that even a chroma superres of just 1 pushes it over the edge). When I tried 0.90.22 the first file I watched at 720p was actually 718 and I thought the performance hit was because of that... however later I watched one that was 720 and I could no longer maintain render queue. I rolled back to 0.90.20 and all is well again. Just curious what could have changed since I didn't see anything is the changelog for either 21 or 22. Something deeper under the hood?
Interesting, I haven't noticed anything like this on my really restricted system (though I haven't tried out all my profiles yet). I'll keep an eye on it and report back.
Old 12th July 2016, 12:30   #38656  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
The difference there is so subtle I doubt anyone would notice it.. how large is that zoom?
That was with SR1+AB25, difference is a lot more obvious with SR2+AB75. It's called a "proof of concept"
Old 12th July 2016, 13:43   #38657  |  Link
Sunset1982

what image/chroma upscaling, and refinement settings would you guys suggest, if you got enough gpu power (GTX 1080)?
Old 12th July 2016, 13:53   #38658  |  Link
s4nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
what image/chroma upscaling, and refinement settings would you guys suggest, if you got enough gpu power (GTX 1080)?
Same question, with a GTX1080 I can easily run NNEDI3 with 256 neurons but with some content it looks painfully sharp. Still looking for the optimal choice.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 14:25   #38659  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
I have a couple of examples of where anti-bloating removes detail that would be considered valid sharpening.

[...]

Guitar
Guitar SuperRes (3)
Perhaps it's interesting to point out that Anti-Bloating simply seems to make the result closer to what you'd get with the latest version of SuperRes. Not entirely sure what differences there are with MadVR's SuperRes, but among other things this version uses Linear Light, and no anti-ringing of any kind.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 14:27   #38660  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
Same question, with a GTX1080 I can easily run NNEDI3 with 256 neurons but with some content it looks painfully sharp. Still looking for the optimal choice.
chroma upscale or luma image doubling?

For chroma I yould suggest NNEDI32, and Luma image doubling at 64 neurons.

But I would like to know is, what settings the other guys here prefer when using NNEDI or superXBR. Are you using SR with both? Any other suggestions?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling