Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th May 2016, 15:20   #37761  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
1) Is there consensus if any of the new features (like anti-bloating) is "needed" when only using moderate superres (chroma/luma at 1 or max 2) and no other sharpening? (For luma I use NNEDI3 at 32 or above whenever possible, but for a couple of profiles I've had to resort to Super XBR.)

2) Would you use superres at 1 or 2 for a) SD -> 1080p (mostly good quality DVD rips) and b) 720p -> 1080p? I would think 2 for a) and and 1 for b) and not the other way around, right?

Just asking for some quick tips because I have zero hours left in my tweaking quota (says wife) after having spent tens of hours with madVR already, LOL. After upgrading to v0.90.17 I haven't touched any of the settings and things look OK to me with the new settings at default.
I do not fully understand your question.

A consensus can only be given for users having the exact same setup and videos usually. This being said, the consensus is that AB helps a lot and makes things better, but everyone found their own setting that works for them.

I have a hard time reading the rest of the question.

Super res has it's uses too, usage of AB is good for all algorithms so far.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 17:08   #37762  |  Link
regiregi22

Hi guys, is there any guide regarding the recommended settings on madvr latest versions?
I have a GTX 970.

It's like two years ago since I haven't updated madvr/mpc-hc, seems like quite some options have been added.
regiregi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 18:25   #37763  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
Hi guys, is there any guide regarding the recommended settings on madvr latest versions?
I have a GTX 970.
With my GTX 970 card I have :

- Chroma upscaling : NNEDI3 128
- Image downscaling : SSIM 2D 100%, AR relaxed, LL
- Image doubling : Double & quad Luma & Chroma at always super-xbr, anti-bloating 25
- Image Upscaling Jinc AR
- Upscaling Refinement : Sharpen Edges 4.0, Enhance Detail 1.0, Lumasharpen 0.5, AR, SuperRes 3 AR, anti-bloat 50%.
Old 6th May 2016, 19:00   #37764  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Thank you Warner...
So at 1080p > 1080p you never use sharpen edges + crispen edges at the same time?
They both do the same thing, so those shaders would be competing with each other. It is better to choose one or the other, not both.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 19:01   #37765  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
I have a GTX 970.

It's like two years ago since I haven't updated madvr/mpc-hc, seems like quite some options have been added.
Try this link from the guide in my signature.
Old 6th May 2016, 19:02   #37766  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I hope you don't mind if I steal your description of anti-bloat?
Sure, I'm not sure if it is 100% accurate. But you can use it. I've used many of your descriptions.
Old 6th May 2016, 19:05   #37767  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post

- Image downscaling : SSIM 2D 100%, AR relaxed, LL
- Image doubling : Double & quad Luma & Chroma at always super-xbr, anti-bloating 25
- Image Upscaling Jinc AR
- Upscaling Refinement : Sharpen Edges 4.0, Enhance Detail 1.0, Lumasharpen 0.5, AR, SuperRes 3 AR, anti-bloat 50%.
Too much sharpening for my tastes. Lots of redundant shaders.
Old 6th May 2016, 19:17   #37768  |  Link
huhn

sharpen edges and crisped edge (thin edges and enhance details) are not designed to work on the same part of the image so you can use them all together at the same time.

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=34110
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 19:17   #37769  |  Link
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
I do not fully understand your question.

A consensus can only be given for users having the exact same setup and videos usually. This being said, the consensus is that AB helps a lot and makes things better, but everyone found their own setting that works for them.

I have a hard time reading the rest of the question.

Super res has it's uses too, usage of AB is good for all algorithms so far.
OK, I'll leave AB disabled because video looks good already and I've got minimal time to go through testing all AB permutations (that's why I was asking for some starting points).

As for the second question, I don't know how to word it better. In essence, would one generally use higher strength of superres the bigger the upscaling factor or vice versa. If the answer is the classic "use your eyes", I'll just leave superres at 1 for everything and stay happy.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 19:46   #37770  |  Link
aufkrawall

The higher the upscaling factor, the less SuperRes strength you need to see a distinct effect of it.
Matter of personal taste if you want to have a stronger or weaker effect. High SuperRes strength looks less artificial than other sharpen filters, however you can get problems with aliasing, mostly when the source is bad.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 22:17   #37771  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Too much sharpening for my tastes. Lots of redundant shaders.
Ok, what do you recommend that I change/remove?
Old 6th May 2016, 22:21   #37772  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
The higher the upscaling factor, the less SuperRes strength you need to see a distinct effect of it.
Matter of personal taste if you want to have a stronger or weaker effect. High SuperRes strength looks less artificial than other sharpen filters, however you can get problems with aliasing, mostly when the source is bad.
I find the opposite; the higher the scaling factor, the higher the value of SuperRes is appropriate because of how soft the image becomes.
Old 6th May 2016, 22:26   #37773  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Ok, what do you recommend that I change/remove?
At 2x (1080p -> 2160p), I would use SuperRes (3) without anti-bloating because SuperRes really doesn't bloat all that much if the image is not oversharpened. Nor does it need anti-ringing. enhance details (1.0) is another shader that is not redundant. To me, SuperRes at the right strength provides plenty of sharpening on its own.

sharpen edges and LumaSharpen are likely pushing the image towards being oversharp and are redundant. If you like the image really sharp, I might add sharpen edges with anti-bloating but not LumaSharpen on top of that.

Last edited by Warner306; 6th May 2016 at 22:54.
Old 6th May 2016, 23:25   #37774  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, good lord why?
Did you read anything in the forum before setting that, or even do a visual comparison between 16 or 32 neurons vs 128? Such a waste of resources.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 23:36   #37775  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
I find the opposite; the higher the scaling factor, the higher the value of SuperRes is appropriate because of how soft the image becomes.
I don't see where your latter sentence would contradict my statement.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 02:33   #37776  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I don't see where your latter sentence would contradict my statement.
You're right; both are true.
Old 7th May 2016, 06:27   #37777  |  Link
Uoppi

Quote:
You're right; both are true.
So if I understood you and aufkrawall correctly:

The effect of SuperRes may be easier to spot when scaling SD -> 1080p vs. 720p -> 1080p using an identical SuperRes setting (1, 2, 3 etc.)

But because of the softness of SD, a higher SuperRes setting may be required to counter the softness (but with the increased the risk of artefacts). And 720p on the other may become oversharp, so a lower setting might be more appropriate.

Notice the "mays" and "mights". I do realize sharpening is about personal preference. I have sharpness turned to 0 on my Samsung TV; my eyes are sensitive to too much sharpness and start to "hurt".

That's why I tend to use SuperRes at 1, use no other sharpening and direct my available resources towards NNEDI3 processing. Also when downscaling, I use lower values, mostly bicubic 75% and for UHD -> 1080p also 2D SSIM 25%.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 08:28   #37778  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, good lord why?
Did you read anything in the forum before setting that, or even do a visual comparison between 16 or 32 neurons vs 128? Such a waste of resources.
If rendering time is below 30ms, why not? All my content is 23 fps, so my GTX 970 can handle it. Image doubling at NNEDI3 kills performance more.
Old 7th May 2016, 08:32   #37779  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
If rendering time is below 30ms, why not? All my content is 23 fps, so my GTX 970 can handle it. Image doubling at NNEDI3 kills performance more.
but image doubling will have an effect on image quality unlike nnedi3 chroma at higher neurons.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 08:51   #37780  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
but image doubling will have an effect on image quality unlike nnedi3 chroma at higher neurons.
I know, but super-xbr anti-bloat 25% is good for image doubling too, and the fans on my 970 card doesn't spin up as much as they do with NNEDI3. A good compromise I think. Chroma Upscaling 128 is nice to have with 1080p movies that run 1:1 (no image scaling).

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling