Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th March 2016, 16:03   #37161  |  Link
fedpul

Quote:
disable FSE and or overlay mode and use alt +print to capture the screen.
if you do this in full screen the full screen picture is save in your clip board.
now open a picture program like paint/paint.net and press control+v. you can know same the image.
Thanks huhn I will make some comparisons later.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 16:08   #37162  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
added a couple of image doubling super-xbr anti-bloating options
right on time, for the new build.

anyway, just ran more tests today:
-AR is pointless for SR as it doesn't ring to begin with
-AB is also pointless for SR as feeding a blurry picture to SSIM looks ugly
-the best results for me are with both chroma & luma SR@1 + NNEDI3 doubling + 0.7 enhance detail + SSIM 2D 25% with 75% AB. It retains SSIM's attention to details without looking digital, yay!
-my only gripe is that this setup makes NNEDI3's supremacy very obvious as in comparison NEDI looks blurry and sxbr25 artificial, but maybe spicing up the latter with some AB would straighten things out somehow
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 16:16   #37163  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I guess at some point I should probably check if I'm running out of GPU RAM. <sigh> So many things to do.
Implementing this sooner than later may give a lot of return on investment. Certainly now that 4K is becoming more common. Dealing with OOM related 'bug' reports is a huge waste of your time.

Maybe the GUI could also show an indication of the (worst case) memory requirements for a given queue size. That should help users to avoid too large queues. Assume the largest of the available display devices. Assume smooth motion is on, and whatever else may increase memory usage. Show estimate for common input sizes.

GPU queue size: 8 (requires up to xxx MB for 1080p and xxxx MB for 4K)
Old 25th March 2016, 17:18   #37164  |  Link
Neo-XP

@madshi

Is it possible to include the parameters of FineSharp (sstr, cstr, lstr, pstr, ldmp, xstr and xrep) to madVR ?

If not in the GUI, maybe with a config file ?
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 17:43   #37165  |  Link
Anima123

Super-xBR has been improved to another level, IMO.

Somehow, unlike some others in the thread, I prefer SSIM 1D than 2D for 576p -> doubler -> 1080p chain, 1D seems more neat for my taste.

Will upload comparison when I get home.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 20:00   #37166  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
As if it wasn't already confusing enough:
Even in FSE, I'm getting one dropped frame after 5 minutes of watching. So I disabled DXVA2 copyback in LAV to see if it makes any difference, and indeed: Now queues also get filled properly in windowed fullscreen and I can watch more than 5 minutes without any issues so far. However, still low level monitoring with driver must be used in Afterburner.
Hope they fix this at some point in the drivers with new GPUs (got the same problem with Sapphire Trixx OC tool instead of Afterburner) or else one might need to use an external GPU (e.g. of APU) for decoding if one wants to use voltage control or custom fan curve with HEVC 10 bit content.
Story's not over yet.
There are also problems with 1080p 60fps upscaling to 1440p fullscreen/borderless without Afterburner ever started when DXVA2 copyback is used (in borderless queues stop filling at some point and with FSE, queues get almost completely emptied once after exactly 5 minutes of playback).
It doesn't occur with 1080p 30fps. I have the vague feeling that something's simply broken or at least very shaky with the Hawaii decoder for 1080p 60fps in general. Maybe there's some weird overhead or stupid bug that can trigger this behavior, dunno.
With software playback, it's completely fine.
Well, that makes me a bit more hopeful regarding the situation with future GPUs, Hawaii always had some video decoding problems (e.g. always crashed with bsod when decoding 4k).
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 20:34   #37167  |  Link
videonerd

Hello can someone please tell me if AR and/or LL are required for:

chroma upscaling: super-xbr100
image downscaling: bicubic150
image upscaling: jinc
upscaling refinement: superres3

Thank you!
videonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 21:33   #37168  |  Link
iSeries

Hi, upscaling enhancements don't seem to work for me when supersampling 1080p > 1080p with the latest two versions - they don't have any effect.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 21:44   #37169  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
disable FSE and or overlay mode and use alt +print to capture the screen.
if you do this in full screen the full screen picture is save in your clip board.
now open a picture program like paint/paint.net and press control+v. you can now save the image.
If you use OneDrive in Windows 10, there is a setting to automatically save screenshots in the OneDrive -> Pictures folder. This saves the step of having to paste the image into an image editing program.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 21:45   #37170  |  Link
Warner306

Could someone post a screenshot comparison of super-xbr100 with anti-bloating enabled?
Old 25th March 2016, 21:47   #37171  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Hi, upscaling enhancements don't seem to work for me when supersampling 1080p > 1080p with the latest two versions - they don't have any effect.
You need to use really high values. SuperSampling is not great for that reason alone. Image enhancements applied to a 1080p source will do more to improve the image.
Old 25th March 2016, 21:49   #37172  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by videonerd View Post
Hello can someone please tell me if AR and/or LL are required for:

chroma upscaling: super-xbr100
image downscaling: bicubic150
image upscaling: jinc
upscaling refinement: superres3

Thank you!
chroma upscaling: super-xbr100 (AR)
image downscaling: bicubic150 (AR + LL)
image upscaling: jinc (AR)
upscaling refinement: superres3 (no AR, maybe anti-bloating 50-75%)
Old 25th March 2016, 22:02   #37173  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
You need to use really high values. SuperSampling is not great for that reason alone. Image enhancements applied to a 1080p source will do more to improve the image.
I should say i have zoom small black bars away so a 1.85.1 film fills the screen (so not technically 2x supersampling but close). However the upscaling enhancements have zero effect, no matter what i set them to, and render times do not change. Reverting back to .15 and it works fine, render times go up and image changes.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 23:59   #37174  |  Link
fedpul

I have made an album with some comparisons of chroma and doubling algos. By now I have uploaded just 4 images and they are based on a DVD release of the movie Howl's Moving Castle.

The link of the album is: http://imgur.com/a/eRXn8

My intention was to compare the new SXBR with NNEDI3 which is considered the best algorithm.

Please feel free to comment!

Last edited by fedpul; 26th March 2016 at 00:42.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 01:17   #37175  |  Link
perlita.pajares

Problem playing 3d bluray

I cannot deal with playing 3D bluray content. I have a i7 4700mq with Intel HD4600 and dgpu Nvidia GTX765M with optimus. When playing 3d I cannot use the nvidia GPU due to the HDMI port is attached to the HD4600 card.

I am using MPC-HC with LAV filters and MADVR, always the latest nightly builds of them. The problem is that even setting madvr to the lowest settings (nearest neighbor in chroma and the rest deactivated), the player (MPC-HC) unexpectly stop and back me to desktop after 30 sec of playing without more information. I have used DVXA copy-back, native and Intel Quicksync without a successful result. MADVR with and without FSE and with D3D11 and D3D9, all possible combinations.

Do you have any sugestion or solution?

PD: no problem with powerdvd.

Thank you so much in advance.
perlita.pajares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 02:49   #37176  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
I should say i have zoom small black bars away so a 1.85.1 film fills the screen (so not technically 2x supersampling but close). However the upscaling enhancements have zero effect, no matter what i set them to, and render times do not change. Reverting back to .15 and it works fine, render times go up and image changes.
You probably have "disable scaling if image size changes by only" in Zoom Control.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 11:02   #37177  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
destroy it your self: http://abload.de/img/00004.m2ts_snapshot_0wju9u.png

sharp edges and line thinning are for sure not hiding aliasing.
I had tested again and again to be able to reproduce your results.

I found out how.

For me, ET + ES + AB150 + AR will eliminate aliasing that WAS there.

Here is the trick: If I am rendering to a 1080 screen, I must use either upscaling refinement if the video is under 1080 OR image enhancements if the video is 1080.

Upscaling refinement takes significantly longer to process (rendering time) because I have it set to apply after every 2X step, but produces perfect results.

Same can be said about image enhancements, if used only when video is already the same resolution as display.

At such high values, there will be *small* distortion, but it still better than without those algorithms.

There are anime that are already over-smooth, and those would be distorted. On this same note, I seriously think that the reason I like ET + ES + AR + AB at such high values is that I personally have either bad encodes, or anime that were drawn too fuzzy for these resolutions. I checked with some more, especially new anime, and it works magic for half, while it distorts the other half, inducing aliasing and distorting objects.

@madshi Is there any possibility of inducing an aggressive anti aliasing algorithm?
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 11:12   #37178  |  Link
chros

Quote:
here a sample with a 3D LUT.
http://www.file-upload.net/download-...nissue.7z.html

i can't trigger this issue without using native UHD. zooming in at 1080p doesn't trigger it.
I couldn't see the difference either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlita.pajares View Post
I cannot deal with playing 3D bluray content. I have a i7 4700mq with Intel HD4600 and dgpu Nvidia GTX765M with optimus. When playing 3d I cannot use the nvidia GPU due to the HDMI port is attached to the HD4600 card.
Is it also the case with 2D content? (I don't have a 3D capable display.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
was micro sttuter on some random scenes, some are reporterd presentation glitche s some not
like 7 presentation glitches on 50 minutes playing...
testing more i solve this checking the option use a separate device for presentantion... and mpc-hc internal audio renderer exclusive mode
now the movies are very smooth with some normal flickering
It didn't solve it on my system.
Madshi, have you seen my edited post regarding to this? http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...45#post1761445
Tell me if you need a debug log or anything else.
Old 26th March 2016, 11:18   #37179  |  Link
Presco

Hello
when you set a scaling level of personalized office 125% I can not access some options madVR.

Thank you for making the window of adjustable madVR.

Presco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 12:15   #37180  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presco View Post
Hello
when you set a scaling level of personalized office 125% I can not access some options madVR.
Already reported, the options will change in future and will be fixed in due course, consider current builds new features to be a WIP.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling