Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st March 2016, 18:36   #37001  |  Link
Neo-XP

Subtitles position

@madshi as requested.

The context : when using MadVR with XySubFilter to display subtitles outside of the video area with the option "move subtitles to bottom of the screen/window" of the "zoom control" menu, when an italic subtitle appears (<i> tag), the italic subtitle and all the following subtitles (italic or not) are displayed into active video area.

MadVR settings : settings.reg

The subtitles : subtitles.srt

Subtitle n1 :

Subtitle n2 :

Tell me if you need any more details to reproduce the problem.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 18:53   #37002  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy01 View Post
I didn't mean the output mode. I meant the input mode.
Ah ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
The context : when using MadVR with XySubFilter to display subtitles outside of the video area with the option "move subtitles to bottom of the screen/window" of the "zoom control" menu, when an italic subtitle appears (<i> tag), the italic subtitle and all the following subtitles (italic or not) are displayed into active video area.

MadVR settings : settings.reg

The subtitles : subtitles.srt
Thanks, I can reproduce it now. From what I can see, I will need to fix this in XySubFilter, not in madVR...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 21:37   #37003  |  Link
XTrojan

will ripping movies with MakeMKV keep the subtitle positions or do I need to rip them to .iso or .m2ts with tsmuxer in order for MadVR to playback 3D subtitles properly?
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 21:50   #37004  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Ive been testing ripped BDs which are 24 and playing them all on 60 using JRiver/madvr.

Ive been trying the three smooth motion settings, only when judder, only when exact frame match, and always on. They all seem to have an occasional skipped frame on the features which are all 24.
I have been playing over and over a part in a movie and notice this on all three settings, even off!
When I go back and change back to 24 the skipped frames are no longer there. Now this isn’t happening every minute, but it does happen ever so often...

Is there anything you can think of that might fix this when Im playing 24 features at 60?
I have the 970 card, and all of the settings set to the lowest NEED13 set to 16.

I want to play at card set to 60Hz as many others here do and say its so much smoother than at 24.

BTW. The person who built the PC for me added JRiver and madvr, they may have played round with some of the settings..
Is there a way to reset madvr back to its default settings?

Last edited by 70MM; 21st March 2016 at 22:06.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 21:56   #37005  |  Link
alf6

Windows 7? Make sure you have the Windows 7 Platform Update installed. Also Aero / desktop composition must be active.

Thanks for replying Aero was to blame, had not activated it.
Went from bad to worse though. When checking DX11 and playing a movie now now i get a black screen (file gets opened though, I can see the timer going off )

Im running the latest MPC-HC with the latest mad-vr(09015) on the latest NVIDIA(364.51) drivers on Windows 7.

Every mad-vr option on default except dx9/dx11
alf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 00:37   #37006  |  Link
AngelGraves13

madshi, will you be adding "sigmoidal light" to chroma and downscaling as well?

Also, has any further work been done on the debanding filter to target pixelation?
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 00:48   #37007  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Have you tried a different media player to see if it might be media player specific? The crash you're describing is seemingly not being detected by madVR's own crash handler. Which means that there's a good chance the crash doesn't occur inside of madVR's code. It could still be my fault, or not. Can't say for sure.
I've tried with EVR-CP and it never crashes, it only crashes with MadVR selected as the renderer, but I agree that as the software crashing is MPC-BE and not MadVR it's not 100% conclusive.

I'll test with MPC-HC and I'll report.

By the way, I'm using all 64bits apps, in case it matters.
Denon X8500H>HD Fury Maestro>JVC RS2000
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 01:06   #37008  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
madshi, will you be adding "sigmoidal light" to chroma and downscaling as well?
you can't use that on chroma.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 02:51   #37009  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Ive been testing ripped BDs which are 24 and playing them all on 60 using JRiver/madvr.

Ive been trying the three smooth motion settings, only when judder, only when exact frame match, and always on. They all seem to have an occasional skipped frame on the features which are all 24.
I have been playing over and over a part in a movie and notice this on all three settings, even off!
When I go back and change back to 24 the skipped frames are no longer there. Now this isnt happening every minute, but it does happen ever so often...

Is there anything you can think of that might fix this when Im playing 24 features at 60?
I have the 970 card, and all of the settings set to the lowest NEED13 set to 16.

I want to play at card set to 60Hz as many others here do and say its so much smoother than at 24.

BTW. The person who built the PC for me added JRiver and madvr, they may have played round with some of the settings..
Is there a way to reset madvr back to its default settings?
You can reset madVR to its default settings by finding the madVR plugin folder in JRiver and running the "reset settings" file.

To improve the performance of smooth motion, try increasing the size of the GPU queue size in general settings. This will provide greater protection against these glitches.

For your refresh rate problem, madshi mentioned you can use madVR profile rules to create profiles for devices -> display modes. You could set your entire pre-show content to be played at 60 Hz and the feature at 24 Hz.

Select devices.
Click create profile group.
Add display modes to the profile group.
Create two profiles: name one folder something like "Pre-show" and the other "Feature."

if (fileName = "introduction.mkv") "Pre-show"
else if (fileName = "trivia.mkv") "Pre-show"
else if (fileName = "trailers.mkv") "Pre-show"
else "Feature"

Leave the display modes field blank under "Pre-show." Under "Feature," enter "1080p23."

One profile will play without refresh rate matching. The other will switch to 1080p24 when the feature starts.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 03:54   #37010  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
You can reset madVR to its default settings by finding the madVR plugin folder in JRiver and running the "reset settings" file.

To improve the performance of smooth motion, try increasing the size of the GPU queue size in general settings. This will provide greater protection against these glitches.

For your refresh rate problem, madshi mentioned you can use madVR profile rules to create profiles for devices -> display modes. You could set your entire pre-show content to be played at 60 Hz and the feature at 24 Hz.

Select devices.
Click create profile group.
Add display modes to the profile group.
Create two profiles: name one folder something like "Pre-show" and the other "Feature."

if (fileName = "introduction.mkv") "Pre-show"
else if (fileName = "trivia.mkv") "Pre-show"
else if (fileName = "trailers.mkv") "Pre-show"
else "Feature"

Leave the display modes field blank under "Pre-show." Under "Feature," enter "1080p23."

One profile will play without refresh rate matching. The other will switch to 1080p24 when the feature starts.
Hi Warner, ok this all sounds very interesting but when it switches from the 60 content to the feature at 24 Im back to the same old problem with the SLOW SYNC of the JVC RS600 projector, arnt I?

The proj takes up to 17+ secs to sync between 60 > 24, it plays the audio but clips all the video until it finally hand shakes. You miss all the logos and intro of the feature, its horrible!

This was the whole reason to remain on 60 for all the files, trailers, shorts we play before the feature at our film club.
The 24 feature was then to remain also on 60 so everything transitions nice and smoothly for files and feature, nothing clipped or missing on the screen....
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 06:41   #37011  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you can't use that on chroma.
Hmmm...a limitation of chroma upscaling?
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 07:36   #37012  |  Link
Magik Mark

Adaptive Sharpen

Madshi,

The author of Adaptive Sharpen recommends linear light when using this. Is it being followed?
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:56   #37013  |  Link
Werewolfy

Quote:
Unfortunately the download link doesn't work.
Ok... So now I know what this website really worths ^^

Here's a new link for my videos about deinterlacing and my issues with it : http://www46.zippyshare.com/v/BiIrl8f9/file.html

I hope it will work this time. If it doesn't, please tell me what website I need to use.

Quote:
Oh, did you mention that before? How fast is your CPU? Have you tried DXVA copyback decoding as an alternative to software decoding?

Are you using automatic black bar detection? If so, does disabling that workaround the issue?
I think you misunderstood me, I'm talking here only when I use deinterlacing and not in general.

I have a Core i5 4670k @ 4.0 Ghz. Disabling automatic black bar detection doen't change anything.

I tested in the past with DXVA decoding enabled but I still experienced dropped frames with interlaced content.

Last edited by Werewolfy; 22nd March 2016 at 10:06.
Werewolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:13   #37014  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
will ripping movies with MakeMKV keep the subtitle positions or do I need to rip them to .iso or .m2ts with tsmuxer in order for MadVR to playback 3D subtitles properly?
The 3D depth information is partially lost. The MakeMKV devs are *VERY* sluggish to respond. See here:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewto...p?f=10&t=13892

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf6 View Post
Thanks for replying Aero was to blame, had not activated it.
Went from bad to worse though. When checking DX11 and playing a movie now now i get a black screen (file gets opened though, I can see the timer going off )
But you do have the Windows 7 Platform Update installed? And you don't get a picture, neither in windowed nor in fullscreen exclusive mode?

Quote:
Also, has any further work been done on the debanding filter to target pixelation?
Pixelation? What pixelation? I've no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
The author of Adaptive Sharpen recommends linear light when using this. Is it being followed?
Where does he say that? Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
Here's a new link for my videos about deinterlacing and my issues with it : http://www46.zippyshare.com/v/BiIrl8f9/file.html

I hope it will work this time. If it doesn't, please tell me what website I need to use.
That's a good host, thanks. As is e.g. mediafire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
I think you misunderstood me, I'm talking here only when I use deinterlacing and not in general.

I have a Core i5 4670k @ 4.0 Ghz. Disabling automatic black bar detection doen't change anything.

I tested in the past with DXVA decoding enabled but I still experienced dropped frames with interlaced content.
Does the decoder queue fill with the same video if you disable deinterlacing completely?
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:24   #37015  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
No work has been done on debanding. I believe it's current state is good enough and is unlikely to receive much of the way of changes in future.. if anything.
Anyway, what you mentioned would normally fall under denoising, which madVR is likely to tackle at some point..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:35   #37016  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Hmmm...a limitation of chroma upscaling?
there is no "light" that can be "changed" to linear light because it is chroma.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:38   #37017  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Pixelation? What pixelation? I've no idea what you're talking about.
I think they mean using it for deblocking. I do think having a deblocking filter (maybe separately for chroma, which often seems to be very heavily compressed on things like Youtube videos) would be nice, but yeah.. different kind of filter.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:54   #37018  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
I think they mean using it for deblocking. I do think having a deblocking filter (maybe separately for chroma, which often seems to be very heavily compressed on things like Youtube videos) would be nice, but yeah.. different kind of filter.
Oh ok. I thought (s)he meant that debanding would *cause* pixelation.
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:56   #37019  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
Yeah makes sense. He'll be able to take care of that when madshi adds Vapoursynth support. Once that's done many often used filters could make their way into the options without hassle.. we'd basically have a mini ffdshow inside madVR.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:00   #37020  |  Link
Magik Mark

Adaptive Sharpen

Madshi

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...81#post1721881

If we are talking about the same adaptive Sharpen. The author recommends gamma light as input.

I'm sorry my initial posts stated "linear light" its gamma light

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling