Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th March 2016, 05:47   #36901  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Any help on this one guys?
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=36903

Also what dithering should I set please?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 10:23   #36902  |  Link
James Freeman

Fellows, what sharpening method you prefer?

I have a trick to adjust the sharpening value for LumaSharpen (my favorite).
I look at a real object near my screen (well lit room) and adjust the value in madVR till the image on screen looks as sharp and textured as the real object.
To my eye the captured texture in the movie is not sharp enough compared to real objects, this little trick lessens the difference without exaggerating because I have a real reference.
Try it.
Old 17th March 2016, 10:32   #36903  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Any help on this one guys?
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=36903

Also what dithering should I set please?
60Hz or 60fps ?
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 10:53   #36904  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
60Hz or 60fps ?
60Hz I think Im wanting to do. So 24Hz > 60Hz.
Old 17th March 2016, 11:11   #36905  |  Link
James Freeman

@70MM
Rendering->Smooth Motion->Enable.

Rendering->Dithering->Ordered Dithering.
"Change dithering for every frame" enabled.
Old 17th March 2016, 11:47   #36906  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
@70MM
Rendering->Smooth Motion->Enable.

Rendering->Dithering->Ordered Dithering.
"Change dithering for every frame" enabled.
For me, I leave "Change dithering for every frame" disabled but enable "use colored noise"

To each his own... and I am betting it also depends on your TV.

QB
Old 17th March 2016, 12:38   #36907  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
I want to play 24 content at 60, what are the best settings I need turned on to get the smoothest playback please?
Smooth Motion + both chroma & luma SuperRes @1 enabled, I don't think I'll ever watch movies in 24Hz anymore

Icing on the cake will be "reconstruction soft" chroma, SSIM 2D 25% downscaling, NEDI doubling, 0.7 "enhance details" and ED2 dithering with both suboptions disabled. I got Reclock on top forcing 24.000 fps, 1080p24 movies look butter-smooth & super detailed, yay!
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 12:47   #36908  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damie View Post
Thanks, is this because MadVR's dithering is superior to TV's FRC (frame rate control)? So 10bit should be only used with a native 10bit panel?

Or even then, conversion from 4:2:0 to RGB/4:4:4 yields additional benefits?

By the way, the source video has also the BT.2020 color space, but I guess this works fine in 8bit mode too? (Gotta manually enable BT.2020 mode from TV settings, Auto detection is not working).
if you care for correct color get an colorimeter and calibrate your screen.
no screen can do bt 2020 yet.

4:2:0 sub sampling is visible for me. so yeah i avoid double conversations.

10 bit gets more and more important with bigger CR so with HDR content and a screen that can get really really bright. and i would only bother if the screen is true 10 bit and most UHD screens aren't 10 bit.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 13:22   #36909  |  Link
fedpul

Quote:
Originally Posted by baii View Post
If fse give you black screen with sound, typically try
1. Lower presented frame in fse
2. Lower the GPU queue

Sent from my 306SH
Hi baii, thanks for your idea, it seemed to work. Last night I reset madvr to default settings and set everything like I had before but the queues which I left at default and I saw an entire movie without a problem. The only thing I have noticed is that when you pause/play a movie in FSE while in the middle of it, render and present queues don't fill again, but this is maybe another bug, not so important as it doesn't cause dropped frames, at least last night it didn't.

PS: I forgot to say that when queues don't fill when I pause and the play a movie, it only happens when I am viewing in the TV at 1080p24 wiht smooth motion off, I coudln't been able to reproduce it in my pc at 60hz.

Last edited by fedpul; 17th March 2016 at 15:32.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 14:05   #36910  |  Link
xul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
i having some micro stuttering when playng 23,976 content
i have i optimus system but nvidia 930m only render the video because the hdmi output from intel hd 5500
the display refresh is 23.97570, its possible to be this 00.00030 diference that causing the stuttering?
the best mode for me is fse d3d9, but i really don īt know, d3d11 with present a frame for every v sync changes my display behavior anda the refresh rate goes down a little
i tried wasapi from reclock and the exclusive mode from mpc-hc internal audio
reclock seens to be better but i still geting some stutering
its possible to be a v sync issue?
should i disable v sync on nvidia cp? because on intel cp donīt have a option to disable v sync, only app controled and driver controled..
itīs possible that the two drivers are perfoming v sync separately? like v sync are performanced two times one time for each driver?
on nvidia cp should i put single display perfomance, multi display perfomance or compability mode?
someone could help-me? i really don īt know what do to solve this... i tried everything, even smooth motion on 60 hz 72 hz 75 hz canīt solve this
thanks
I have this identical issue as well which didn't happen with previous installed version (0.90.3 I think it was)

gtx970 w10 x64 w/ latest nvidia whql drivers
xul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 18:04   #36911  |  Link
omarank

@madshi: There are some video files that I have are encoded with incorrect aspect ratio. Could you please offer the file tag option for custom aspect ratio or maybe stretch factor? It will be really useful as a lot of DVDs in India have stretched video.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 19:02   #36912  |  Link
Damie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
no screen can do bt 2020 yet..
The panel supports 91% of DCI P3, and 90% is the requirement for the Ultra HD Premium specification. Of course this still means only 66% of BT.2020.

The colors look off if I select BT.709 on the TV menu for this source, where as they look good with BT.2020. I guess this is due to the different RGB primaries.

Quote:
4:2:0 sub sampling is visible for me. so yeah i avoid double conversations.
The source is YUV 4:2:0, so shouldn't I get the least amount of conversions if I select Ycbcr420 from nvidia control panel?
Damie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 20:01   #36913  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damie View Post
The source is YUV 4:2:0, so shouldn't I get the least amount of conversions if I select Ycbcr420 from nvidia control panel?
No, madVR outputs RGB so setting YCbCr in the control panel adds an RGB to YCbCr 4:2:0 step done by the GPU.
Old 17th March 2016, 20:26   #36914  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Smooth Motion + both chroma & luma SuperRes @1 enabled, I don't think I'll ever watch movies in 24Hz anymore

Icing on the cake will be "reconstruction soft" chroma, SSIM 2D 25% downscaling, NEDI doubling, 0.7 "enhance details" and ED2 dithering with both suboptions disabled. I got Reclock on top forcing 24.000 fps, 1080p24 movies look butter-smooth & super detailed, yay!
Wow Ive got so many answers here and all slightly different so Im a bit confused!

Im just a newby so need the help please...
Let me explain what Im trying to do and that might help further.

First Im using JRiver, madVR with the GTX970, its only for movies, no gaming. Im going direct from the PC to a matrix, one out goes direct to the JVC RS600 projector. The other out goes to the Marantz AV8802 which is in the cinema foyer, the out from this goes to a 1080p monitor so we can see whats going on in the cinema....

We have a film club and I make up assorted shorts, clips, trailers etc etc before the feature, always a BD ripped. I add all the clips and feature to a play list.... As the projector is SO SLOW at syncing, sometimes up to 17 secs, its impossible to play all the clips in their native 50, 25, 30, 60, 24Hz as the beginning of each video gets clipped off due to the SLOW SYNC of the projector.

A friend told me to use madvr with smooth motion and set everything to 60Hz in the card, so far so good....

I had this new PC built round all this as my old one currently uses Kodi/openeleq and is impossible to play this way (all set to 60) as it stutters and is not smooth.

At the moment Im testing on the new PC, then once a week I reinstall the old PC when we have club nights as Im not confident I have things setup correctly for the new madvr pc.

So now Ive explained everything with the setup and why I need to play everything at 60Hz to avoid the sync issues, am I on the right track???

Your help here will get me going with confidence, I like the idea of everything playing as smooth as butter if that's achievable... If so Im a very happy guy!!!

Thanks for reading through all of this and hopefully we can nail it.

I know little of the settings and need help clarifying what settings I need for mixed content, smooth playback and the correct dither settings... Thanks heaps!

Last edited by 70MM; 17th March 2016 at 20:34.
Old 17th March 2016, 20:44   #36915  |  Link
Neo-XP

Hello,

There is a bug when upscaling or downscaling with spline 4 taps with the newest madVR versions. The image is pixelated when using spline with 4 taps.

This bug appeared in the 88.21 version, 88.20 is OK. I'm upscaling here to 3840x2160 (from full HD source), but the same applies when downscaling to 1920x2000 (from 4K source).

It's obvious when comparing with spline 3 taps and with two different madVR versions.

Spline 3 taps v88.20 :

Spline 4 taps v88.20 :

Spline 3 taps v90.15 :

Spline 4 taps v90.15 :

Am I the only one having this issue ?

Last edited by Neo-XP; 17th March 2016 at 22:05.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 23:51   #36916  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Wow Ive got so many answers here and all slightly different so Im a bit confused!

Im just a newby so need the help please...
Let me explain what Im trying to do and that might help further.

First Im using JRiver, madVR with the GTX970, its only for movies, no gaming. Im going direct from the PC to a matrix, one out goes direct to the JVC RS600 projector. The other out goes to the Marantz AV8802 which is in the cinema foyer, the out from this goes to a 1080p monitor so we can see whats going on in the cinema....

We have a film club and I make up assorted shorts, clips, trailers etc etc before the feature, always a BD ripped. I add all the clips and feature to a play list.... As the projector is SO SLOW at syncing, sometimes up to 17 secs, its impossible to play all the clips in their native 50, 25, 30, 60, 24Hz as the beginning of each video gets clipped off due to the SLOW SYNC of the projector.

A friend told me to use madvr with smooth motion and set everything to 60Hz in the card, so far so good....

I had this new PC built round all this as my old one currently uses Kodi/openeleq and is impossible to play this way (all set to 60) as it stutters and is not smooth.

At the moment Im testing on the new PC, then once a week I reinstall the old PC when we have club nights as Im not confident I have things setup correctly for the new madvr pc.

So now Ive explained everything with the setup and why I need to play everything at 60Hz to avoid the sync issues, am I on the right track???

Your help here will get me going with confidence, I like the idea of everything playing as smooth as butter if that's achievable... If so Im a very happy guy!!!

Thanks for reading through all of this and hopefully we can nail it.

I know little of the settings and need help clarifying what settings I need for mixed content, smooth playback and the correct dither settings... Thanks heaps!
you only need smoothmotion the rest is not needed. the default dithering settings are fine.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 02:50   #36917  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
you only need smoothmotion the rest is not needed. the default dithering settings are fine.
What about these settings that leeperry said should be used??

Old 18th March 2016, 03:39   #36918  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
What about these settings that leeperry said should be used??

If you are using JRiver, I'm not sure you have access to image enhancements and upscaling refinement due to it using an older version of madVR. If you do have access to these settings, they are an acquired taste with no right or wrong setting. Personally, I don't like SuperRes for chroma upscaling but others do.

I think NEDI doubling and SSID 2D downscaling refer to supersampling. Supersampling involves image doubling a source and then downscaling it back to the original resolution (1080p -> 2160p -> 1080p). The result may impress or it may not.

Reconstruction soft is considered the best chroma upscaler by some. This is less debatable but still a matter of preference.

There are many ways to set up a 1080p source.

This is leeperry's preference:

1080p -> 2160p Supersampling:
  • Chroma: Reconstruction (soft), SuperRes (1)
  • Image: N/A
  • Double Luma: 2x supersampling - NEDI
  • Double Chroma: 2x supersampling - NEDI
  • Downscaling: SSIM 2D 25% + AR + LL
  • Upscaling refinement: enhance details (0.7), SuperRes (1)
  • Artifact removal - Debanding: Off
  • Image enhancements: Off
  • Dithering: Error Diffusion 2
This is my preference:

1080p:
  • Chroma: NNEDI3 32 neurons
  • Image: Jinc3 + AR
  • Image doubling: Off
  • Upscaling refinement: Off
  • Artifact removal - Debanding: Medium/High
  • Image enhancements: crispen edges (0.6) + AR
As you can see, there is no "correct" set up when it comes to many settings. You have to try them yourself.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 03:45   #36919  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
If you are using JRiver, I'm not sure you have access to image enhancements and upscaling refinement due to it using an older version of madVR. If you do have access to these settings, they are an acquired taste with no right or wrong setting. Personally, I don't like SuperRes for chroma upscaling but others do.

I think NEDI doubling and SSID 2D downscaling refer to supersampling. Supersampling involves image doubling a source and then downscaling it back to the original resolution (1080p -> 2160p -> 1080p). The result may impress or it may not.

Reconstruction soft is considered the best chroma upscaler by some. This is less debatable but still a matter of preference.

There are many ways to set up a 1080p source.

This is leeperry's preference:

1080p -> 2160p Supersampling:
  • Chroma: Reconstruction (soft), SuperRes (1)
  • Image: N/A
  • Double Luma: 2x supersampling - NEDI
  • Double Chroma: 2x supersampling - NEDI
  • Downscaling: SSIM 2D 25% + AR + LL
  • Upscaling refinement: enhance details (0.7), SuperRes (1)
  • Artifact removal - Debanding: Off
  • Image enhancements: Off
This is my preference:

1080p:
  • Chroma: NNEDI3 32 neurons
  • Image: Jinc3 + AR
  • Image doubling: Off
  • Upscaling refinement: Off
  • Artifact removal - Debanding: Medium/High
  • Image enhancements: crispen edges (0.6) + AR
As you can see, there is no "correct" set up when it comes to many settings. You have to try them yourself.
Great stuff many thanks for that Warner. I will try both tonight and report back.

Forgot to ask, do you both use projectors?
Old 18th March 2016, 06:18   #36920  |  Link
thewildsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandronb View Post
Hi guys, i am having a problem that i think is related with madvr.
Sometimes when i am playing a tv show and i skip to the next episode, it just shows a black screen, and even returning from fullscreen i can't play the episode. i have to close mpc and open the episode again. this do not happen when i am not in fullscreen.
Maybe is related to the change in refresh rate, i use the option to change refresh rate in madvr.
madvr version 0.89.19.
When i am not in fullscreen i can skip all episodes in a season without any problem, but in fullscreen it sometimes give me this blackscreen.
Using windows 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildsun View Post
I have the same issue in PotPlayer and Windows 10. It doesn't make a difference if I use the latest LAV nightlies or PotPlayer's internal decoders. The only way I've been able to work around this issue is to uncheck D3D11 in madvr. Has anyone found a way to avoid the issue while keeping D3D11?
Following up on this, I learned that the issue only happens in recent Windows 10 insider builds for me. I tested on the regular Windows 10 1511 update with the latest Nvidia drivers and it worked fine. So most likely this is not a madVR issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Hi!

So madVR doesn't have profiles as far as I know.
But is there a method/trick I can use to change settings quickly? I mean the scaling algorithms in particular.
I was wondering about this as well. If my goal is to have two profiles ("anime" and "liveaction" for example) with a single keyboard shortcut to switch between them, is this possible? While I can sort of achieve it using profile groups, it's a bit cumbersome because I need to use a different keyboard shortcut to toggle each profile group. I guess I'm looking for something like "global profiles", which would capture all settings into a single profile, rather than dividing them into groups.
thewildsun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling