Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th February 2016, 16:41   #35861  |  Link
Light001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
The problem with "optimal settings" is that it is very dependent on user preference and your display.

Some users like super-xbr but NNEDI3 with as many neurons as possible often considered optimal. Almost everyone agrees that luma is much more important than chroma, especially for live action. Chroma is more beneficial for computer graphics or animation but luma is still more important.

My opinion:
For TNG my 480p30 settings are:
chroma upscaling: Reconstruction Soft
image upscaling: Jinc AR
luma doubling at 1.5x or bigger with NNEDI3 256
chroma doubling at 1.5x with NNEDI3 32.
luma quadruple at 3x or bigger with NNEDI3 32
chroma quadruple at 3x or bigger with NNEDI3 16

I am on a 1440p display, not 4K, so I am downscaling with Bicubic 150 AR.

I tune the upscaling refinement options to my preference for each show. I haven't found settings for them that I like for everything but usually once tuned they are fine with other content, if I am feeling lazy. The key is to not overuse them.

For dithering, I like ED1 on this display but I recommend ordered dithering unless you can pick your own preference. Disable "change dither for every frame" to reduce subjective noise unless you are using a very large or low resolution display.

I would drop chroma quadrupling, then luma quadrupling, then chroma doubling, then turn down luma doubling, as performance required. Switching to super-xbr 75 is also an option.

Others probably use other settings which also look quite good.
Annnnd im lost again >.< the movies i have are http://puu.sh/mXUCF/08cc6d2375.png, and my monitor is 1920x1080 BenqXl2420T that does not support switching refresh rates below 60hz.
As for the settings, well i dunno now cuz like i would like to know what up scaling refinement does and the benefits of them in those type of rips. Also keep in mind i really do not want to have to switch to many things around as i go from movie to movie of diff quality. Now, Jinc looks really good n the bars, its just mostly green on the Sharpness. With like no ringing, but your saying i should turn on anti ringing anyway?
So like what differences would i see from just leaviing Jinc on Chroma Upscaling, And Nothing Checked off in Image Doubling, and Jinc in Image Upscaling.? Compared to others?
And i have no idea what dithering is so i just leave it on option one, but i did uncheck that change dither options, And i dont normally downscale, like most of my movies are just 1920x1080. Its a Pc Right, And i use Green analog plug in for sound. And i watch all kinds of stuff like Anime and HD Rips from Public HD like Tron Legacy and stuff. Disney Movies and then these Tv shows like Big ban And Rules of engagement and Star Trek, And most of the Tv Rips are ya, lower quality. so im generally more focused on making them look great, and still being able to enjoy my 1080 rips without to much work. know what i mean? Recon soft has alot of red on the bars isent that bad?
Light001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 17:01   #35862  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light001 View Post
my monitor is 1920x1080 BenqXl2420T that does not support switching refresh rates below 60hz
try using smooth motion
Old 6th February 2016, 17:13   #35863  |  Link
XTrojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
not at all.

frame packing 3D is full resolution by sending 2 picture with full 1080p resolution.

if it is sending 48 frames or a 3840x1080p image doesn't matter. and i don't know.
SBS is sending a 2d imaging which is the resolution of your screen.
on a 1080p screen it is 1080p on a UHD screen it is 2160p and both picture on this frame.

my TV can't do SBS at UHD resolution. i is only using 3d at 1080p and all other option are grey out. so frame packing is the only way to get full resolution for me.
When doing UHD sbs, you don't change anything in PC settings, just leave it at 24hz 2160p. (2D)

When you open the video two video streams will be shown, this should be the standard 2D video at left, MVC at right, both should be 1080p = 2160p and should cover your entire screen.

Now you go into your TV 3D settings and enable SBS mode, everything else on your pc will look fucked up though, as there's no "3D" link between the PC and the TV, the TV just takes what it has (the source) and combines them into 3D, if the two images aren't the same you're gonna get a 180degrees screwed up image or something similar. The volume bar for example if you use a receiver will also look messy.

Last edited by XTrojan; 6th February 2016 at 17:19.
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 17:42   #35864  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
When doing UHD sbs, you don't change anything in PC settings, just leave it at 24hz 2160p. (2D)

When you open the video two video streams will be shown, this should be the standard 2D video at left, MVC at right, both should be 1080p = 2160p and should cover your entire screen.

Now you go into your TV 3D settings and enable SBS mode, everything else on your pc will look fucked up though, as there's no "3D" link between the PC and the TV, the TV just takes what it has (the source) and combines them into 3D, if the two images aren't the same you're gonna get a 180degrees screwed up image or something similar. The volume bar for example if you use a receiver will also look messy.
it is greyed out at UHD resolution in TV settings.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 18:46   #35865  |  Link
zvans18

Quote:
my monitor is 1920x1080 BenqXl2420T that does not support switching refresh rates below 60hz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
try using smooth motion
I would suggest just letting it switch to 120 for ~24/30/60fps content and 100 for 25/50 instead of leaving it at 144 and enabling smooth motion. That's what both me and a friend prefer on his 2420z anyway. Neither of us are sensitive enough to detect the single frame drop/repeat every few minutes due to slight clock mismatch (especially for anime where everything is on threes anyway) and we both prefer it over the slight 'haze' of smooth motion

EDIT: also light, to do what i said above, in display modes for the monitor in devices, check 'switch to matching...' and 'restore original...' and enter this in the display modes list: 1080p100, 1080p120, 1080p144

you can set up different profiles so you don't have to change everything when you play a different kind of file. i use a lot, but you can get away with 3 to start. maybe something like:

if (srcWidth <= 1920) and (srcWidth >= 1900) "1080"
else if (srcWidth < 1900) and (srcWidth >= 1270) "720"
else if (srcWidth < 1270) "SD"
else "720"

you have to make a group, right click scaling algos and create. paste the code in the group folder under auto select rules, then make 3 profiles and name them 1080, 720, and SD

first, don't worry about what the bars in madvr look like, just go by what you think looks good and what your pc can handle. if your queues are full, dipping to mostly full occasionally, and you aren't steadily seeing drops in the counter, you're fine.

for now i wouldn't worry about any kind of upscaling enhancement, just get a good base first. prioritize luma/image, chroma differences are pretty subtle unless the scene is full of high red colors. jinc is already pretty good all around. for doubling, i'd start with luma only nnedi3 64 neurons, if you get drops try 32, then maybe 16. super-xbr is your next bet. performance is pretty much identical all around for xbr, the numbers correlate to sharpness. i like 100, but see if you like anything else. if not, jinc is still pretty good

you'll have to perform the testing and tweaking 3 times with different material to match the profiles, which will be bold in the list when in use. note: the only thing you should need to configure for 1080 is chroma, so feel free to be a bit more extravagant there if you want.

another tip: to ensure you aren't overly stressing your card on 1080, i suggest checking 'disable scaling if image size changes by only:' (zoom control, in processing) and setting it to at least 5 or so (i use 25). a lot of 1080 content is cropped by a couple pixels so your system will be putting in a lot of work to stretch it by a few pixels. unnecessary in my opinion

Last edited by zvans18; 6th February 2016 at 19:40.
zvans18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 20:36   #35866  |  Link
XTrojan

3D Subtitles are still "crosschecking" the Video :/.

Is MadVR putting depth on subtitles externally or is it still same as video? it seems to depend on video source. I don't know if this has been posted here, but official 3D uses Menu->Subtitles->Video in terms of "depth" to avoid external things interfering with the movie 3D.

Last edited by XTrojan; 6th February 2016 at 20:44.
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 22:11   #35867  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Annnnd im lost again >.< the movies i have are http://puu.sh/mXUCF/08cc6d2375.png, and my monitor is 1920x1080 BenqXl2420T that does not support switching refresh rates below 60hz.
As for the settings, well i dunno now cuz like i would like to know what up scaling refinement does and the benefits of them in those type of rips. Also keep in mind i really do not want to have to switch to many things around as i go from movie to movie of diff quality. Now, Jinc looks really good n the bars, its just mostly green on the Sharpness. With like no ringing, but your saying i should turn on anti ringing anyway?
So like what differences would i see from just leaviing Jinc on Chroma Upscaling, And Nothing Checked off in Image Doubling, and Jinc in Image Upscaling.? Compared to others?
And i have no idea what dithering is so i just leave it on option one, but i did uncheck that change dither options, And i dont normally downscale, like most of my movies are just 1920x1080. Its a Pc Right, And i use Green analog plug in for sound. And i watch all kinds of stuff like Anime and HD Rips from Public HD like Tron Legacy and stuff. Disney Movies and then these Tv shows like Big ban And Rules of engagement and Star Trek, And most of the Tv Rips are ya, lower quality. so im generally more focused on making them look great, and still being able to enjoy my 1080 rips without to much work. know what i mean? Recon soft has alot of red on the bars isent that bad?

Try these settings for 480p -> 1080p upscaling:

Chroma: NNEDI3 32 neurons
Image: Jinc3 + AR
Double Luma: 2x or greater - NNEDI3 32 to 256 neurons
Double Chroma: Off
Upscaling refinement: crispen edges (1.0), SuperRes (3)
Artifact removal - Debanding: Medium/High
Image enhancements: Off
Dithering: Error Diffusion 2
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 00:16   #35868  |  Link
Light001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Try these settings for 480p -> 1080p upscaling:

Chroma: NNEDI3 32 neurons
Image: Jinc3 + AR
Double Luma: 2x or greater - NNEDI3 32 to 256 neurons
Double Chroma: Off
Upscaling refinement: crispen edges (1.0), SuperRes (3)
Artifact removal - Debanding: Medium/High
Image enhancements: Off
Dithering: Error Diffusion 2
do i want colored noise enabled? or change dither for every frame?
But yes i either watch 1080p movies @ 1920x1080. Or Lower. So never do i need to go more then 1080p.
Is there perhaps a youtube video that shows you what these things look like visually? like Noise,Dither,Deinterlacing,Inverse Telecine, Chroma?Luma? i kinda feel blind. i dunno ive taken up alot of your time guys, thought it would be abit more simple. i will have to read up on it some more to find preferences of my own. Just wish i knew what these things looked like.
Light001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 00:43   #35869  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
do i want colored noise enabled? or change dither for every frame?
These aren't terribly important and may be very hard for you to notice, change them (perhaps under dark conditions if you ever watch films like that) and if you can't see a difference then change them back. You're looking for any changes in picture clarity. Like Leeperry says.. Does it look like you're looking through a window with any particular combination of those settings? The less shimmer or light masking (dullness) the better.

Last edited by ryrynz; 7th February 2016 at 00:45.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 03:32   #35870  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
Just wish i knew what these things looked like.
If you look at your monitor while you change these options you will then know what they look like. If you can't see any difference then it doesn't matter what you select.
You have already been given decent base-line options. You shouldn't expect to get spoon fed every option especially for something so subjective.
Here is a thread with some more verbose descriptions on the options to maybe guide you in what you are looking at, but other than that you should use your eyes to guide you.
(If you search the thread for specific option names you might find where people have posted screenshots comparing still frames. This might not help in some areas where the effect is better seen in motion. Your eyes really are your best guide.)

Last edited by Clammerz; 7th February 2016 at 03:33. Reason: typo
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 07:29   #35871  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
do i want colored noise enabled?
It's almost imperceptible, but I turned it off. If you're familiar with chroma noise in digital pictures, it looks like a speckling of that. You have to look up close.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 18:37   #35872  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasRobidoux View Post
So, sigmoidization (applied to some sort of luminance channel I would guess) is back from the dead?
http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse...t=21415#p87536
Hi Nicolas - long time no see!

I had an option in madVR to do upscaling in linear light, but it was never recommended to be used and I think nobody actually used it. Instead a user was asking for adding sigmoidization, and he had a video where it did look slightly better (anime with hard coded subtitles showed a bit less aliasing in the subs). So I simply replaced the linear light option with a sigmoization option. At the same time I also have test images where sigmoidization looks worse. So I'm not sure if I actually recommend using it or not, but it's there for users who want to experiment with it. I guess it's at least less bad than linear light upscaling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Didn't I boldly imply the answer?
I really like SSIM and there's hardly a difference to bicubic 150 with 4k -> WQHD.

So, yes, I also really like bicubic 150 for downscaling. It's not that SSIM would be very expensive regarding GPU resources, but bicubic probably is better suited for a GPU like GTX 960, at least with 60fps (+deband etc.).
SSIM sometimes seems to be slightly sharper with structures like dense foliage, but bicubic 150 is slightly sharper (or more contoured) with isolated elements like the metal structures in my screenshots above.

I haven't noticed any unpleasant effects so far with bicubic 150. I'm curious what others will find out, but I think it's really a good and relatively fast option to downscale videos if a high sharpness is desired.
Good to hear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
I having an issue with FSE. On my new laptop even using nvidia 930m to render the hmdi output pass thru intel hd graphics, i don t know why the display modes from my tv that was near perfect sync on my old laptop, are totaly broken on my new laptop, Intel driver overscaned the resolution forcing tv to downscan producing blurred terrible results... Also the modes are not synced very good, ex 1360x768p23 = 23.930 and this driver don t allow me to me override the modes with custom resolutions...

For some reason that i don't know the driver alowed me to override only the 24 mode that i can fine tune to 23.97694, that was very Nice because i almost only Watch 23.976 but heres the problem
When i set the resolution to 1360x768p24 and start a 23.976 movie and go to FSE (d3d9 and d3d11) the resolution is automatic changed to 23 mode Causing heavy jitter and stutter because is 23.930, i tried everything, not list 23 mode, turn off the display matching but nothing works, this only happen on FSE, in fullscreen windowed don t happen but FSE on my laptop has superior smoothnes...
This sounds more like a GPU driver or custom resolution specific issue and not madVR's fault. Don't really know how to help there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Well, this is sort of fixed for me, but not really. Instead of getting a black screen when switching out of FSE to windowed in D3D11, I just get a still image from the last part of the video. When I go back to FSE it resumes fine.

In other words, I can't watch anything in windowed mode after leaving FSE D3D11 because it just shows a still image while audio keeps playing. D3D9 works fine as usual.

Using AMD 7850.

Also, when going from FSE to windowed and back to FSE in D3D11 sometimes the present queue will drop down to 1-3 and it will never recover, while the preset stats also increase ~10ms and don't drop again.

This usually also happens after the windows screen saver comes on while a video is paused. Doesn't happen in D3D9. To reproduce set windows screen saver to 1 minute, pause video, let screen saver kick in then play video. Check OSD. Stats are increased and present queue drops to 1 and can't recover.
If I could reproduce any of that, maybe I could do something about it. But it seems to work fine on my PC. I suspect some driver issue or something, but I don't really know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
0.90.4 detects the display's refresh rate incorrectly. I'm playing a PAL video slowed down with ReClock on the display that is currently 24 Hz - madVR displays that is is 60 Hz.
Are you sure it's a misdetection? How do you know? Does your display report the refresh rate that the source (your PC) sends? And does 0.90.4 detect a different refresh rate compared to older madVR builds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hu1kamania View Post
I disabled it, with the same results. Still getting repeated frames with DXVA2 and Forced to Video in MadVR with that portion of the clip.
What happens if you try different "deinterlacing modes" in LAV? E.g. try "agressive" or something. Another test would be to try different deinterlacing settings in the NVidia GPU control panel. In any case, if EVR is showing the same problems that it's not really madVR specific, and there might not be much I can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
In fullscreen exclusive mode, when i move the mouse downwards to the playback bar, the Present queue and backbuffer queue go crazy, they drop to 1 and then build up again when the PLayback bar is gone again.
That's the "low latency" mode, which internally does these things to speed up the reaction of the OSD to your mouse etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
I'm getting some weird colors and blue horizontal lines in windowed mode. The issues go away when I'm in fullscreen mode. It doesn't seem specific to the downscaling code. Probably related to zoom control in madVR.
Is that specific to the new madVR builds, or does it happen with older builds, too? This looks like either a hardware or driver problem, but it's hard to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamland View Post
I have random issue MPC-HC+MadVr
please..help me! thx a lot!

Do you get a crash report that looks somethings like this?

screenshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
would you consider allowing the upscaling enhancements to be controlled individually for either every 2x upscale or after upscaling?

Regarding edge thinning, I find it only really works well (with less bowing) when it's done after upscaling is complete at a high value (I use 4.0 for low resolution anime)
And it actually stacks up vs Avisynth's awarpsharp2+NNEDI3 exceptionally well when using it like that with a touch of extra sharpness. Would it be possible to allow for a 5.0 value here?

My recommendation would be to always use edge thinning after upscaling is complete, would you agree that having a higher value max value and perhaps locking in as a final stage only setting would be best by default?
I can't see where multiple thinning stages at lower values would be beneficial over one higher power line thinning pass. Ideally we want the least possible warping of the final image.
Makes sense, will add it to my to do list. The difficult thing is how to make all this adjustable in a good/intuitive way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollaco View Post
So I'm using the latets LAV nightly, Latest madVR and I'm having a 3d issue.

Everything switches correctly to 3d on my projector. The stats correctly show:

D3D11 fullscreen windowed (3D)
NV12, 8bit, 4:2:0 (3D)

However it is frozen and the queues look empty. Nothing plays.
I'm using MPC-BE 64 bit, LAV 64 bit. Also tried 32 bits and same issue. I end up killing the player using task manager

Interestingly the stats say:

Composition rate: 47.951. Even though the movie is 23.976
Also vsync says: 20.85

I created a custom profile for 3D where I left the display modes blank so madVR can do the right thing. I even tried the opposite and forced the display mode to 1080p23, I had the same issue of freezinf even though everythign switches correctly to 3d. The composition rate might be the cause..what do you guys suggest? Thanks for any help.
If the vsync is not detected correctly that could cause a lot of issues. But playback getting totally stuck sounds weird. If you create a debug log I can have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
madshi, what are your thoughts on Weston Three Field Deinterlacing (w3fdif)?
I haven't even added YADIF (yet?). At some point I might look at the whole deinterlacing topic again, but probably not soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameyyy View Post
It looks like there are bugs in some GPU drivers like nvidia which causes the D3D11 context
state to get messed up when accessed from multiple threads. This inspite of us following the documented
way of accessing the context from multiple threads by enabling multi threaded mode.
Interestingly, the multi-threading issues I had were with AMD drivers. Anyway, I think they should be fixed in the latest build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Something strange I noticed when using madVR. If I start a movie in 23.976Hz, 10-Bit FSE mode then I pause the video and let the monitor go in to standby mode, after waking it up the picture freezes (it also looks very pixelated) and only sound continues playing.
If I go out of FSE mode and back in again it continues as normal.
I'm thinking the monitor not initializing correctly by itself after a standby when running in this mode? And only restores itself to 10-Bit mode after triggering it manually?

Anyone else noticed this behavior?
Only the monitor itself goes into standby mode, the PC does not? In that case it might be a GPU driver issue, or a monitor issue, I don't know. Might also be a madVR bug, can't say for sure right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollaco View Post
I have an Intel NUC - skylake (NUC6i5syk). I have this video 4K sample I was testing

Even if I set the the scaling algorithms to the most basic - bilinear...I still get dropped frames.
Look at the Ctrl+J madVR OSD. Which of the queues (read from top to bottom) is the first one which isn't at least half full? If it's the decoder queue, then your decoder is too slow. If it's a the render queue, then your GPU is too slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w813 View Post
Were there any changes to madtpg in 0.90.4? I no longer see the OSD when I remotely connect Calman to MadTPG.
No changes at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
3D Subtitles are still "crosschecking" the Video :/.

Is MadVR putting depth on subtitles externally or is it still same as video? it seems to depend on video source. I don't know if this has been posted here, but official 3D uses Menu->Subtitles->Video in terms of "depth" to avoid external things interfering with the movie 3D.
In order to be able to put the subs "on top" of the video, I'd first have to know how near any given video frame actually gets to the user. Which is an information I don't have. 3D Blu-Rays contain information at which depth to draw subtitles, but this information is not used by any subtitle renderer yet. So at the moment madVR simply draws the subs at screen depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I tried to add to my wiki today with a section about madVR's 3D support, but I think I got more confused than anything. I don't own any 3D content and don't plan to in the near future.

The part on 3D formats is in this section: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?...555#pid1843555.

Could someone with better knowledge read it and tell me if this is accurate?
First of all, atm all 3D related functionality in madVR is limited to 3D content coming from a compatible decoder with left and right eye images being sent separately. The only compatible decoder atm is nightly LAV and the LAV splitter currently only supports 3D MVC MKVs. This will hopefully be improved by nevcairiel soon. If you play movies which have the left & right images interweaved somehow (e.g. hard encoded as side-by-side), madVR treats them as 2D.

Your wiki might be a bit confusing to an end user, I think. Your "auto" section is probably meant to reach from "auto" until "Force 3D format below"? But in the midst of this "auto" section there are two more bold lines starting with "Active/Passive 3D". It's not totally clear if these still belong to the "auto" section or if they are meant to be separate sections. I'd optimize the font size and styles to make it clearer which parts of the text are meant to be one section and has which title etc.

The "Active/Passive 3D" lines are not clear. Since they stand under "auto", the end user might understand it as if madVR would automatically detect active/passive 3D displays and treat them differently. That's not the case.

"auto": madVR sends frame packed, if HDMI 1.4+ is available, *and* if the display supports this format. This can be an active or passive 3D display. If frame packing is not supported by either the GPU, OS or display, madVR instead renders the 3D video into "Half SBS".

"side-by-side": madVR renders Half SBS.

"top-and-bottom": madVR renders Half Top-and-bottom.

"line alternative" is described incorrectly. I'm not sure, maybe there's an official "line alternative" communication protocol that works as you describe. But that's not how madVR renders. This mode is for passive 3D displays which have polarizing filters which change polarization for each pixel row. The polarization is fixed, though. So for each frame sent by madVR, the odd lines are always for the same eye, and the even lines for the other eye. Odd/even does NOT change the eye from frame to frame.

"column alternative": same as "line alternative", just columns instead of rows/lines.

"swap left/right eye": This option is (in the long run) *not* meant to be used to fix sources which have the eyes in the wrong order. The problem with such sources should be fixed automatically by reading this information from the video file, and then communicating it to madVR. This will be added to future LAV + madVR builds. For now you can misuse this option to fix problems with such sources, but in the future this option has a different purpose: Some 3D displays *always* draw the images in the wrong order. So this option fixes that. Also for line/column alternative passive 3D displays it's not clearly defined which line/column is for which eye. So this option allows you to set that up correctly for each display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
OpenCL build 3 solves the crash problem I was having. I repeated the same fast switch Overlay <-> FSE which caused it to crash on v0.90.x builds and it didn't crash or cause any other issue.
If OpenCL build 3 solves the crash problem, then the problem should already be solved in v0.90.4, too. Is that the case?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 18:50   #35873  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macycat View Post
No problem - http://www.filedropper.com/madvr-log

Thanks for looking into this.
Hmmm... The log shows Direct3D reporting a weird error code, and I can't reproduce the problem on my PC. Might have to create some test builds. Are you up for testing them?
Old 7th February 2016, 18:56   #35874  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Is that specific to the new madVR builds, or does it happen with older builds, too? This looks like either a hardware or driver problem, but it's hard to say.
I went back through several builds with the same settings and same file. The error occurs between madVR08919 and madVR0900.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 19:00   #35875  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I went back through several builds with the same settings and same file. The error occurs between madVR08919 and madVR0900.
Could it be caused by your choice of chroma upscaler? Try something other than "ReconSoft" as a test. Also, does this only affect certain videos? Or all of them?
Old 7th February 2016, 19:09   #35876  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Is it really the same bicubic algorithm as with old builds, just with c = 1.5?

If yes, why did no one have this idea earlier?
Annnnd, how sharp is sharp enough? I mean 150 sounds like a very high setting. Some objective catmull vs bicubic150 screenshots would be nice
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 19:10   #35877  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Could it be caused by your choice of chroma upscaler? Try something other than "ReconSoft" as a test. Also, does this only affect certain videos? Or all of them?
I think you're right. It is something caused by chroma upscaler. I get the same effect using Jinc AR and ReconSoft. All other options work. It only happens in windowed mode. It happens with all of my files that are 1920x1080 and downscaled to 1280x720 in windowed mode.

Last edited by rack04; 7th February 2016 at 19:12.
Old 7th February 2016, 19:12   #35878  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.90.5 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: some SSIM downscaling related bugs
* added SSIM "detailed" and "clean" variants
* added Bicubic "sharpness: 125" option
* added "use 1.6 gamma instead of 2.2" option to linear light downscaling
* improved linear/sigmoidal light up and down scaling performance
* improved downscaling performance when using linear light
* SSIM downscaling can now also be used after image doubling
* fixed: settings dialog sometimes forget to remember Bicubic150 being set
This build concentrates on further optimizing/tweaking downscaling performance and quality. I need your feedback about the following two things:

1) Do you prefer SSIM "clean" or "detailed" downscaling? The "detailed" option should have a bit more aliasing and sometimes maybe some minor artifacts, but looks a bit more detailed. The "clean" option is a little bit slower, and should have a bit less problems with aliasing and artifacts, but might smooth things over ever so slightly, compared to "detailed". So which one do you prefer? Ideally I'd get rid of one option, so please help me decide which one to keep and which one to drop.

2) You can (for downscaling) now decide between using normal (gamma) light downscaling, linear light downscaling which uses a 2.2 gamma value) and the new "use 1.6 gamma instead of 2.2" option, which does linear light downscaling with a 1.6 gamma value. So the 1.6 option pretty much is exactly in the middle between gamma and linear light downscaling. I would *really* like to get rid of two options and always do downscaling in one specific light (either gamma or 1.6 linear or 2.2 linear). So which of those 3 options do you prefer and can I get rid of the other two?
Old 7th February 2016, 19:13   #35879  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I think you're right. It is something caused by chroma upscaler. I get the same effect using Jinc AR and ReconSoft. All other options work. It only happens in windowed mode.
Nobody else seems to have the same problem, so I think it's either a GPU driver issue or a hardware defect. You could try whether a different driver version help, or maybe a GPU BIOS update or something.
Old 7th February 2016, 19:18   #35880  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Nobody else seems to have the same problem, so I think it's either a GPU driver issue or a hardware defect. You could try whether a different driver version help, or maybe a GPU BIOS update or something.
If I uncheck crop black bars the problem goes away.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling