Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th November 2015, 14:43   #34121  |  Link
seiyafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
There will be little to no difference unless you are using SuperRes. SuperRes is more effective when used with Image Doubling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I've never seen a real difference between Jinc AR or image doubling for 1080p -> WQHD, neither with SuperRes. I'm watching every 1080p video upscaled to WQHD.

Thanks for confirming that, I was thinking about the same thing.
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 14:58   #34122  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

is anyone able to tell the difference of what sharpen, crisp, thin edges are doing?

and what exactly "enhance detail" means? is it normal sharpening? or do just some things get sharpened and others dont? on what basis?
Old 8th November 2015, 15:03   #34123  |  Link
ibius

How about you read at least 1-2 pages back first?
Madshi's second post one page back covers that.
ibius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 15:09   #34124  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoD View Post
It happens with both latest two MPC-HC nightly builds (190 and 202). Having "keep aspect ratio" checked or not does not matter. The sample I provided is only 500Kb, so it's easy to download it and test.

Edit: looks like madVR ignores the container set AR (which is 16:9) and instead uses the video stream AR (which is 4:3).
I had tried and wasn't able to reproduce the problem. But I tried again and now found that the problem only occurs with "detect black bars" disabled. Should be fixed in this test build. Can you confirm?

http://madshi.net/madVR8915arFix.rar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
Can not reproduce using software decoding.
Debug log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7a...w?usp=sharing]
Ah, ok, I understand the problem.

In theory the stream could switch between progressive and interlaced all the time, which would mean madVR would have to switch deinterlacing on and off all the time. If I changed refresh rate every time that happens that could be very annoying. So atm madVR only changes refresh rate in very specific situations: 1) When playback starts, if the settings say so. 2) When going fullscreen, if the settings say so. 3) When manually activating video mode deinterlacing.

Not sure whether there are real world videos out there which often switch back and forth between progressive and interlaced?

Software decoding is not affected because it's fast enough to switch madVR into video mode deinterlacing. DXVA takes too long, so at the moment when madVR wants to switch refresh rates, DXVA has not yet told madVR that the video is interlaced.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 15:19   #34125  |  Link
KoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I had tried and wasn't able to reproduce the problem. But I tried again and now found that the problem only occurs with "detect black bars" disabled. Should be fixed in this test build. Can you confirm?

http://madshi.net/madVR8915arFix.rar
The issue is fixed with this build.
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 16:22   #34126  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoD View Post
The issue is fixed with this build.
Ok, will release a new official later today, will take a couple of hours, though.

Quote:
Could you please bring back the radius option for a build or two?
You can add e.g. "superResRadius=80" to the file name now to force a SuperRes radius of 80.
Old 8th November 2015, 17:05   #34127  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Did some testing with SuperRes and will still leave it off as it sharpens the image undesirably. It didn't look too good when I was watching 720p content at 1440p. It was too sharp. Disabled and all was back to normal. I guess SuperRes isn't for me.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 17:17   #34128  |  Link
MS-DOS

AngelGraves13, if you tested it with one of the latest two builds then maybe it's because the Radius option was removed and forced to 0.66, which makes it look way too sharp and aliased sometimes. I used it with 1.00 before and it was totally fine to me.
MS-DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 17:18   #34129  |  Link
aufkrawall

You could try a higher radius like madshi explained above or a lower strength.

I noticed that after playing around with different upscaling refinements, madVR somehow disabled NNEDI3 and used Jinc instead. It couldn't be activated again unless madVR was restarted. Haven't been able to reproduce yet, but there must be a small problem.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 17:21   #34130  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS-DOS View Post
AngelGraves13, if you tested it with one of the latest two builds then maybe it's because the Radius option was removed and forced to 0.66, which makes it look way too sharp and aliased sometimes. I used it with 1.00 before and it was totally fine to me.
I'm mostly watching 1080p blu-rays from my personal collection that I've remuxed to avoid using discs. The content looks fine with Jinc AR for Chroma and Image. SuperRes doesn't make it look better.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 17:30   #34131  |  Link
mzso

There are a bunch of sharpening algorithms now. Is there some writing about it? How do they compare to each other quality wise. Or in what situation do they come handy?
For a long time I used the players sharpencomplex2 shader. Now I started using madVR's adaptivesharpen, though to be honest I don't know if it's the best one (for me).
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 17:33   #34132  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
I'm mostly watching 1080p blu-rays from my personal collection that I've remuxed to avoid using discs. The content looks fine with Jinc AR for Chroma and Image. SuperRes doesn't make it look better.
imho fonts or emblems look too blurry with 1080p -> WQHD without SR. Especially true for fine white fonts.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 17:47   #34133  |  Link
Sunset1982

I'm using madvr to upscale 1080p Bulray remux files to a 4k Display but there is a lot of noise. Any suggested settings to get rid of it?
Old 8th November 2015, 18:34   #34134  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Honestly, do you have any videos which need rotation *and* have subtitles?? I thought about subtitles, but it's pretty hard to implement correctly, and my thinking was that videos that need rotation are very unlikely to have subtitles. So I simply didn't spend any time on working on rotated subtitles. If you have legit files which need rotation and have subtitles, please let me know where they come from and why they are rotated. Then I'll think about whether it's worth spending time on...
To be hones no, I don't have such video files - it was just an imaginary use case and since you say that it's not easy to be implemented I totally agree with your decision not to invest time in it until there is a legit need for it.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 19:30   #34135  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibius View Post
How about you read at least 1-2 pages back first?
Madshi's second post one page back covers that.
I found the post you are refering to. just dont refer to page numbers please, some people have different posts per page settings.

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 8th November 2015 at 19:33.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 20:08   #34136  |  Link
6ari8

Thanks for the new build madshi!

I'm an AdaptiveSharpen user and I must say I'm really happy with the new sharpen edges option. I'm torn between the two but I think I'll settle on one of them after some tests.

However, there may be a bug in the new build's "upscaling refinement" options.
When choosing SuperRes on its own, the "refine the image after every...."/"refine the image only once...." is greyed out even though it takes effect according to the checked option of the two.
So If I wanted to change that option I have to check one of the other refinement options temporarily so it becomes visible.
6ari8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 20:22   #34137  |  Link
obieobieobie

Another black screen log for 0.89.15 with unchanged settings from 0.89.13 where there is no black screen with this clip:

fryingpanfail.webm

log here (dunno why the log is HUGE):
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...52747541458473
obieobieobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 20:27   #34138  |  Link
XMonarchY

Damn, I still get stutters after pausing and then resume videos and nothing I've tried or that was recommended made any difference... Its SO annoying.
Old 8th November 2015, 20:40   #34139  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

the aspect ration problem finally is gone

the only problem now is the stuttering when going fullscreen with a video with mpchc
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 21:56   #34140  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I noticed that after playing around with different upscaling refinements, madVR somehow disabled NNEDI3 and used Jinc instead. It couldn't be activated again unless madVR was restarted. Haven't been able to reproduce yet, but there must be a small problem.
If you find a way to reliably reproduce it, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
There are a bunch of sharpening algorithms now. Is there some writing about it? How do they compare to each other quality wise. Or in what situation do they come handy?
For a long time I used the players sharpencomplex2 shader. Now I started using madVR's adaptivesharpen, though to be honest I don't know if it's the best one (for me).
Asked and answered twice already in the last couple of pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
I'm using madvr to upscale 1080p Bulray remux files to a 4k Display but there is a lot of noise. Any suggested settings to get rid of it?
There's no denoise algo in madVR. You could try ffdshow raw video processing with some AviSynth noise reduction script. Sorry, can't tell you any more than this. That's a topic for a different thread. In this thread all I can say is: madVR currently doesn't do denoising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
To be hones no, I don't have such video files - it was just an imaginary use case and since you say that it's not easy to be implemented I totally agree with your decision not to invest time in it until there is a legit need for it.
Ah ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ari8 View Post
I'm an AdaptiveSharpen user and I must say I'm really happy with the new sharpen edges option. I'm torn between the two but I think I'll settle on one of them after some tests.
Let me know what you settle on and for what reasons. Please judge quality and performance separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ari8 View Post
However, there may be a bug in the new build's "upscaling refinement" options.
When choosing SuperRes on its own, the "refine the image after every...."/"refine the image only once...." is greyed out even though it takes effect according to the checked option of the two.
So If I wanted to change that option I have to check one of the other refinement options temporarily so it becomes visible.
In the next build SuperRes will always only be applied once, because it simply doesn't make sense any other way. SuperRes has no benefit from being applied multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obieobieobie View Post
Another black screen log for 0.89.15 with unchanged settings from 0.89.13 where there is no black screen with this clip
I think this should be fixed in v0.89.16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Damn, I still get stutters after pausing and then resume videos and nothing I've tried or that was recommended made any difference... Its SO annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsolidsnake86 View Post
the aspect ration problem finally is gone

the only problem now is the stuttering when going fullscreen with a video with mpchc
Please create a debug log with 20 seconds worth of stuttering. Afterwards please stop MPC-HC by pressing Alt+F4, then zip and upload the debug log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
Can not reproduce using software decoding.
Debug log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7a...w?usp=sharing]
I've done a change in v0.89.16 which should hopefully fix this problem.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling