Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 2nd October 2015, 15:01   #621  |  Link
luzhu

Old 6th October 2015, 18:36   #622  |  Link
wiggaz

Hello r0lz,
you did an awesome job with this tool.
You made 3D easy to rip.
Now I was wondering if I can make a little request for the next update.
Would be possible to have the log of x264?
Thanks in advance.
Old 12th October 2015, 23:27   #623  |  Link
odyssey

Hey r0lz. Thanks for your AMAZING work, it's a truly brilliant tool!

Now, let's say that I have a 3D bluray which have not been released in my country, but I have the _regular_ bluray and want to hardsub this using the plane-information... Is there any possibility I could make this work at all, and what would it require?

I noticed a Tool named "Clone Subtitles positions from another file" - Are they needed for exact this purpose? Only I'm a little confused that it needs the XML/PNG.
Old 13th October 2015, 09:31   #624  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggaz View Post
Would be possible to have the log of x264?
Well, it's possible, but the log file will be very large, because it includes all lines produced by x264, including the % of completion. For example, you will get something like this:
Code:
y4m [info]: 1920x1080p 0:0 @ 24000/1001 fps (cfr)
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 SSE4.1 Cache64
x264 [info]: profile High, level 4.1
[0.0%] 1/119388 frames, 0.51 fps, 241.29 kb/s, eta 64:46:02  
[0.0%] 12/119388 frames, 5.44 fps, 32.43 kb/s, eta 6:05:35  
[0.0%] 23/119388 frames, 9.33 fps, 23.41 kb/s, eta 3:33:12  
[0.0%] 34/119388 frames, 12.52 fps, 20.21 kb/s, eta 2:38:50  
[0.0%] 45/119388 frames, 15.06 fps, 18.55 kb/s, eta 2:12:07  
[0.0%] 55/119388 frames, 16.91 fps, 17.66 kb/s, eta 1:57:38  
[0.1%] 61/119388 frames, 17.22 fps, 17.23 kb/s, eta 1:55:30  
[0.1%] 66/119388 frames, 17.36 fps, 16.97 kb/s, eta 1:54:33  
[...]
There is a lot of "[X.X%]" lines that will be saved to the log file without any good reason.
As far as I know, there is no way to capture only the interesting lines or filter out the %.
I can add an option to save the log if you wish. It's not difficult to do. In the meantime, you can edit the __ENCODE_3D.cmd script yourself, and add " 2>&1 | tee x264.log" at the very end of the x264 command. For example:
Code:
[...]
"path\to\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\avs2yuv.exe" ^
  "__ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs" -frames 119388 -o - ^
  | "path\to\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\x264_x64.exe" ^
  --crf 20 --preset slower --level 4.1 --vbv-bufsize 78125 --vbv-maxrate 62500 ^
  --frame-packing 3 --qpfile chapters_3D.qpfile --frames 119388 --fps 24000/1001 ^
  --output "00000_3D.264" --demuxer y4m --stdin y4m - 2>&1 | tee x264.log
[...]
Note the space between the "-" and 2>&1.

Thanks for your kind words!
Old 13th October 2015, 11:00   #625  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey View Post
Hey r0lz. Thanks for your AMAZING work, it's a truly brilliant tool!

Now, let's say that I have a 3D bluray which have not been released in my country, but I have the _regular_ bluray and want to hardsub this using the plane-information... Is there any possibility I could make this work at all, and what would it require?

I noticed a Tool named "Clone Subtitles positions from another file" - Are they needed for exact this purpose? Only I'm a little confused that it needs the XML/PNG.
Thanks to you too for your kind words.

If I understand correctly, you would like to copy the subtitles from the 2D BD and use them with BD3D2MK3D to hardcode them on the SBS or T&B video. Right?

It's possible, but that requires some manual work. I wanted to write a short guide to explain how to do it, but I have never found the time to do it. So, finally, here it is.

BTW, Clone Subtitle Positions requires XML as input because I can't write myself a tool that can edit the subtitle positions within a BD SUP or DVD SUB just to ease that step. In the other hand, it is easy to read and modify the positions of the subtitles in an XML file. Anyway you can easily convert from SUP (or IDX/SUB) to XML/PNG, and vice-versa, with BDSup2Sub. Just be sure to verify that BDSup2Sub doesn't change the timings when it converts a subtitle stream, because its handling of the frame rates is very confusing. IMO, the best way to avoid any problem is to tick the option "Change Frame Rate" in the initial window when you load a subtitle stream in BDSup2Sub, and select 23.976 for both the input and output FPS.

The guide follows in the next post...
Old 13th October 2015, 11:08   #626  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Mini guide: How to convert 2D SRT subtitles or SUP from another BD to 3D

So you have a 3DBD and you would like to add subtitles from another source with the correct 3D depths. Although the procedure is not automatic, it is possible to do it with BD3D2MK3D. Here is how.

Mini guide: How to convert 2D SRT subtitles or SUP from another BD to 3D
  1. Foreword
    The principle is to prepare the job with an existing 3D subtitles in another language, and then replace that stream (called the "guide stream") with your own stream, in your language.

Unfortunately, a specific 3D-Planes is usually made for a specific subtitle stream, and it may not work well if you use it to convert another stream to 3D. That's why, for best results, you should chose a guide stream that has probably the same subtitles than in your language, at approximately the same timings. For example, if it's an US movie, there are probably forced subtitles in your stream not present in the English stream. Therefore, you should select another language for the guide, also with the same forced subtitles. You should also select a guide stream in a language similar to yours, because if the position and space occupied on screen by a specific subtitle of the guide stream are very different than the position and size of the same subtitle in your language, the final result may be very bad.
  2. Begin by processing the 3DBD normally with BD3D2MK3D, and select the guide stream according to the explanations above to hardcode it to the video in the last tab (or the guide stream in tab 2 if you just want to mux it in the final MKV). (Note also the number of the 3D-Plane used by the guide. You'll need it later.) Create the BD3D2MK3D project normally.
  3. Of course, you need the 2D subtitles to hardcode in graphic format. If you demux the PGS from a 2D BD, that should be OK. If your input subtitle file is a SRT (or a similar text based format), you have to convert it to PGS (or, better, to XML/PNG) first. You can use Subtitle Edit's export function to do it. For the reasons explained in the previous paragraph, you should use a font similar or smaller than the font of the guide file (to minimize the risk to have subtitles larger than the corresponding subtitles in the guide stream). And you should position the subtitles approximately at the same height within the image than in the guide file. In short, you should try to obtain a subtitle stream that resembles as closely as possible the guide stream.
  4. You should verify if your subtitle stream is correctly in sync with the video. Timings are critical to obtain the correct 3D effect. Normally, if you have grabbed the PGS stream from the 2D BD at the same frame rate that the 3D BD (23.976 fps) and if the version of the movie is identical (with the same studio logos at the beginning), that should be OK. Otherwise, use any subtitle editor to resync the subtitles.
  5. Many 3DBDs have the subtitles placed "normally", near the bottom of the screen and centred horizontally. If it's the case of the guide stream and if the position of the subtitles in your stream is identical or very similar, you can skip this step. But if the subtitles of the guide are placed at various positions on screen (like in Avatar) or if your subtitles are at a very different position than in the guide, you should use the "Clone Subtitles positions from another file" tool to "fix" the positions of your subtitles. That tool tries to place the subtitles at roughly the same positions than in the guide file. It works on subtitles stream in XML/PNG format only, so you may have to convert the two subtitles to that format with BDSup2Sub. You can use Tools -> Open Subtitle in BDSup2Sub. (Be sure to verify the frame rates and timings after each conversion with BDSup2Sub, because it changes them sometimes without reason!)
  6. At this point, your subtitle stream should be very similar to the guide stream, with all subtitles at their correct positions. You can now convert it to 3D with Tools -> Convert Subtitles to 3D. You should use the 3D-Plane of the guide stream. When it's finished, you should have a good 3D stream, with perhaps some problems, but globally correct.
  7. If you want to hardcode that stream on the video, you should replace the filename of the SupTitle("XXX.sup") command in the __ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs script to instruct avisynth to use your own stream instead of the guide stream. (You may want to edit also the language code of the video stream in __MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt, because BD3D2MK3D sets it to the language of the hardcoded subtitle, but your stream is in another language. It's better, but not mandatory.)

In the other hand, if you don't want to hardcode the subtitle stream but just mux it in the final MKV, you should edit the entry corresponding to the 3D guide stream in the __MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt file, and change its title, language code and filename accordingly. For example, if your language is French, you may have to edit the blue strings below:
    Code:
    --track-name
    0:French 3D (BD SUP)
    --language
    0:fra
    --default-track
    0:no
    --forced-track
    0:no
    --sync
    0:0
    --compression
    0:none
    My_3D_stream.sup
  8. Now, you can launch __ENCODE_3D.cmd normally, and if you have made the job correctly, you should obtain a final SBS or T&B MKV file with correct 3D subtitles in your own language.
  9. Note
    Sometimes some subtitles may not be at the correct position, even if you have followed the guide correctly. That may be caused by several things: A subtitle may not have the right depth when here is no corresponding subtitle in the guide, or when the corresponding subtitle in the guide is smaller (in size) or displayed at different timings. If some subtitles are really badly placed, you can edit the XML file of the 2D XML/PNG stream, change the "Depth" or X/Y position of the badly placed subtitle, and convert again that XML to 3D, but this time WITHOUT specifying a 3D-Plane. Since the Depth values are already present in the XML, the conversion will use them, and it will therefore take your edits into account. That procedure is not easy, mainly because you have to figure out yourself the correct depth value to use without actually seeing the result, but is is useful anyway to fix the most badly placed subtitles. When done, you should relaunch the encoding (for hardcoded subtitles), or just launch __MUX_3D.cmd (for muxed subtitles).
I hope this helps. Let me know if you encounter any problem.

Last edited by r0lZ; 4th April 2016 at 08:51.
Old 13th October 2015, 15:37   #627  |  Link
pharaoh

How to FHD 3d on UHD samsung

Hi. I'm trying to rip my 3d BD's into FHD 3D mkv's. I can successfully create T&B HALF mkv file (total resolution 1920x1080) and they play fine on the TV. The TV can play 4k files. So far I tried T&B HALF, and added the --video-resize filter to the x264 command line to resize the output to 3840x2160. This also plays fine, but I suspect I haven't actually improved the resolution. So I tried deselecting "HALF" (and saying ok to all the warnings), and keeping the same resize filter. The file I got played on the TV, shows up as 8:9 ratio instead of 16:9, even when I switch to T&B 3d mode. I get proper 3d, but everything is only half as wide as it should be. The ideal solution would be to generate a file that is 1920x2160 pixels (2 FHD images stacked), and somehow shows up correctly on the TV. But I think the samsung might have a limitation with non-square pixels, so if I have to make 3840x2160 files, I'll do that. Anyone have a clue for me. I can follow instructions to edit the necessary files. I also tried remuxing the file with the mkvtoolnix gui to change the aspect ratio or display size. But that seemed to have no effect. Tks in advance.
Old 13th October 2015, 18:20   #628  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Normally, when you select Full-T&B, you get exactly "a file that is 1920x2160 pixels (2 FHD images stacked)". The only thing that you can try to change is the aspect ratio. Try to switch the Settings -> Full-SBS/T&B aspect ratio option, but it's identical to changing manually the aspect-ratio argument in __MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what I can do. My old Samsung TV displays always the 3D movies full screen, regardless of the aspect ratio specified in the MKV container, but it doesn't support Full-SBS, Full-T&B or 4K. It seems that the newer models are even more picky for the resolution and AR. Maybe you can try to find the answer in the doc of the TV, or in a Samsung forum.

Sorry, but I can't help much more.
Old 14th October 2015, 02:32   #629  |  Link
pharaoh

How do I generate a 3840x2160 file (square pixels)? I think this is what will work with the TV. Is the --video-resize filter the best way, or is there another method?

Last edited by pharaoh; 14th October 2015 at 03:56.
Old 14th October 2015, 09:13   #630  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You can resize with Avisynth or with x264. Anyway, tick the Full option in the BD3D2MK3D GUI. Then, if you want to resize with avisynth, add something like this in the AVS script:
Code:
[...]
# Build Side-by-Side stream
StackVertical(Left, Right)
AssumeFPS("ntsc_film")
LanczosResize(3840, 2160)

# Hardcode subtitles
[...]
You can use other resize filters. Consult the avisynth documentation for more info. (Or see the list of available filters in the drop-down selector of the "Resize to 720p" option in the last tab of BD3D2MK3D.)

You can also use x264 to resize the video. You should add this to the avisynth command in __ENCODE_3D.cmd:
Code:
--video-filter resize:3840,2160,method=lanczos
Again, there are different resize filters, and more options are available. Here is the full help message about the resize filter (displayed with x264.exe --fullhelp):
Code:
resize:[width,height][,sar][,fittobox][,csp][,method]
      resizes frames based on the given criteria:
      - resolution only: resizes and adapts sar to avoid stretching
      - sar only: sets the sar and resizes to avoid stretching
      - resolution and sar: resizes to given resolution and sets the sar
      - fittobox: resizes the video based on the desired constraints
         - width, height, both
      - fittobox and sar: same as above except with specified sar
      - csp: convert to the given csp. syntax: [name][:depth]
         - valid csp names [keep current]: i420, yv12, nv12, nv21, i422,
           yv16, nv16, i444, yv24, bgr, bgra, rgb
         - depth: 8 or 16 bits per pixel [keep current]
      note: not all depths are supported by all csps.
      - method: use resizer method ["bicubic"]
         - fastbilinear, bilinear, bicubic, experimental, point,
         - area, bicublin, gauss, sinc, lanczos, spline
BTW, you may try to specify also the SAR. If your TV ignores the AR stored in the header of the MKV container, it can perhaps use the SAR stored in the video stream instead, and that may explain why it displays the video wrongly.

Finally, note that the easiest way to do it semi-automatically is to tick the "Full" AND the "Resize to 720p" options in the last tab, and select your preferred resize filter in the drop-down list. BD3D2MK3D will generate everything automatically, and you will have to just edit the resize command to change the target resolution.

Anyway, if you find a solution, please let me know. I may have to modify BD3D2MK3D to adapt it to the recent Samsung TVs. Thanks in advance!
Old 14th October 2015, 09:53   #631  |  Link
pharaoh

Wow! Thanks for all that. I'm learning a lot! Give me a few days to play with it, and I'll post my learnings.

Update: I have good news. SAR did the trick.
1) Deselect "half"
2) Add "--video-filter resize:1920,2160,2:1,method=lanczos" to the x264 parameters
3) Select level 5.0
The resulting file plays at the correct aspect ratio on the Samsung TV. I have confirmed that the TV ignores the display size in the header and can not ignore the SAR value in the video stream.

Only one small problem remaining - although MKVtoolnix shows the stereoscopy=3 (actually means 4, I guess), the TV does not recognize the file as 3D. If I encode T&B HALF and don't resize per the above, the TV recognizes the file as 3D and automatically changes to T&B mode. Importantly, I can change between 2D and 3D at the click of a button. With the T&B FULL file, 3D mode is not automatic (I can still select T&B manually) and the 3D->2D option is not available. With the tools I have (mkvtoolnix), I can't see the difference between the two files expect for the resolution. Any clues?

Thanks again!

Last edited by pharaoh; 14th October 2015 at 17:06.
Old 15th October 2015, 11:38   #632  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharaoh View Post
Update: I have good news. SAR did the trick.
1) Deselect "half"
2) Add "--video-filter resize:1920,2160,2:1,method=lanczos" to the x264 parameters
OK, that means that I have to find a way to force x264 to use a specific SAR, if possible without resize filter, because it is a pity to have to resize the video to 1920x2160 when it has already that resolution. I don't know if it is possible to specify the SAR with another parameter, not related to the resize filter. If it's the case, I'll add it to the encoding command. (If someone knows how to do it, in the AVS script or in the x264 command, please let me know!)

BTW, I don't know if x264 is smart enough to ignore the resize, since it has nothing to resize. If it resizes anyway, you can certainly use a much faster filter than lanczos, since normally the filter has no effect. I suggest to try with fastbilinear, that should give strictly identical results. If you can notice a difference in the time necessary for the encode, that will mean that x264 resizes anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharaoh View Post
Only one small problem remaining - although MKVtoolnix shows the stereoscopy=3 (actually means 4, I guess), the TV does not recognize the file as 3D. If I encode T&B HALF and don't resize per the above, the TV recognizes the file as 3D and automatically changes to T&B mode. Importantly, I can change between 2D and 3D at the click of a button. With the T&B FULL file, 3D mode is not automatic (I can still select T&B manually) and the 3D->2D option is not available. With the tools I have (mkvtoolnix), I can't see the difference between the two files expect for the resolution. Any clues?
There are 2 different locations where the stereoscopy argument can be stored. In the h264 elementary stream itself, it is called "frame-packing" and is 3 for SBS and 4 for T&B. There is no way to specify the order of the two views, or if the resolution is full or half.

In the MKV header, the "stereoscopy" field should be 1 for SBS and 3 for T&B, in both cases for the left view first. (Or 11 and 2 respectively for the right view first, but BD3D2MK3D forces always the left view first). Again, I don't think that there is a way to specify full or half resolution.

That 2 settings should be correctly set by BD3D2MK3D anyway, regardless of the full or half mode. But you can verify the --frame-packing argument in __ENCODE_3D.cmd and the stereoscopy argument in __MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt. For T&B, they should be respectively 4 and 3.

Another way to specify the stereoscopy mode, recognised by some software players, is to add a precise string in the filename, such as "3D-lrq" or "HSBS" for Half-SBS or "3D-abq" or "TAB" for Half-T&B. That's not used automatically by BD3D2MK3D, unless you select the corresponding option in Settings -> Output File Name -> 3D Format Extension.

As far as I know,the Samsung TVs ignore again the content of the MKV header, and with my TV, it switches automatically to the right mode thanks to the frame-packing in the h264 stream. I'm not sure, but I think that it ignores the filename too. But since my TV doesn't support Full-SBS or Full-T&B (1080p), I have never verified if it can do it in Full mode. I will do a test in full-SBS 720p to verify that...

So, sorry, but I don't understand why your TV doesn't work the same way in full and half modes. Again, if you discover why, please let me know.

Note that MediaInfo displays the stereoscopy mode like this (for Half-SBS):
Code:
MultiView_Count                          : 2
MultiView_Layout                         : Side by Side (left eye first)
Since it displays the "(left eye first)" information, I guess that it uses the MKV stereoscopy to retrieve that info. For the frame packing, you can find it in the Encoding Settings field, that should include this (again for SBS): [...] / frame-packing=3 / [...]

[EDIT]
I've found the way to specify the SAR without the resize filter. You can simply add this (instead of the --video-filter resize:... arguments):
Code:
--sar 2:1
Of course, for 720p, if a x264 resize filter has been selected in the GUI, the resize argument cannot be removed, and the SAR can be specified along with the resize filter.

The next version of BD3D2MK3D will add the --sar argument in __ENCODE_3D.cmd.

Thanks for having reported that problem. :-)

Last edited by r0lZ; 15th October 2015 at 12:13.
Old 15th October 2015, 21:43   #633  |  Link
odyssey

r0lZ: Thanks for the guide

What a mess... Of course no subtitles are close to similar. This would require some serious work.

Is there a tool that will help me synchronise two subs relatively easily? I need to move text parts around to match it the 3D sub properly.

A question about 3D planes - Are they framespecific, or ...?? I was wondering why you ignore the 3D plane if a text cannot be matched properly. Wouldn't it be possible to just average out the plane in between or something like that?
Old 16th October 2015, 00:08   #634  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

For editing text subs individually, I recommend Aegisub because you can see the subtitle over the video and sync it visually with the waveform of the audio, but if you need only to stretch and/or shift the whole subtitle stream, Subtitle Edit is more than sufficient.

In the 3D-Planes, there is a 3D depth value for each frame, but often, when there is no subtitle displayed, the values are undefined, and I can't invent them. (It's why it is important to select a guide stream containing roughly the same subtitles, including the forced subtitles.)

For a specific subtitle, BD3D2MK3D tries to use the best depth value from those defined in the 3D-Plane for its frames. Normally, if for a specific subtitle all frames have a defined depth, BD3D2MK3D drops the 10 first frames and 10 last frames and uses the highest value within the remaining range. (The dropped frames are ignored to minimize the risk to use a value pertaining to another shot just because the subtitle overlaps that shot during a few frames. And if the subtitle "enters" within an object during less than 10 frames, the brain has not enough time to record the information, and it's not really a problem.)

When only some frames have defined values, a warning is added in the XML, but the subtitle's depth is computed anyway.

When there are no defined values at all, BD3D2MKL3D searches if there are defined values 10 frames before the start or 10 frames after the end of the subtitle and if it's the case, it uses that values. Otherwise, it gives up and uses 0 (plus the additional depth value, if provided). IMO, it is useless and dangerous to use frames outside that range, because the risk to use depths values made for a totally different shot is too big, and the overall depth of a shot may be radically different than the depth of the next or previous shot.

You can easily locate the subtitles having an undefined depth or having a depth computed with only some partial depth values by looking at the warnings in the XML file, and manually fix the depth of those subtitles if necessary, as explained in the note at the end of the mini guide.

The only thing that, I think, may still be improved is this: If a subtitle has only undefined depth values, it's probably because the same subtitle doesn't exist in the guide stream. Currently, in that situation, BD3D2MK3D gives up. It should be possible to search the other 3D-Plane files, and use the values from the first plane containing valid depth values for that specific subtitle. There will be no guarantee that the final depth will be correct if the 3D-Plane has been made for a very different language, but with some luck, the depth will be better than the default value of 0. Maybe I'll implement that when I'll have some time...

Last edited by r0lZ; 16th October 2015 at 00:12.
Old 16th October 2015, 18:09   #635  |  Link
pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post

OK, that means that I have to find a way to force x264 to use a specific SAR...
So I tried a few things and concluded the following:

1) "--sar 2:1" works the same as "--video-filter resize:1920,2160,2:1 ..."

2) Resizing, though not necessary, also does not consume any time.
- Resize 1920x2160 lanzcos: 10.39 fps
- Resize 1920x2160 fastbilinear: 10.39 fps
- No resize (sar 2:1 only): 10.39 fps
- Resize 1904x2144 lanzcos: 10.73 fps
- Resize 1920x1080 lanzcos: 15:59 fps
3) Confirmed my Samsung TV (JU series) doesn't auto switch to 3D for the 1920x2160 sar 2:1 file, although it plays fine by manually switching to T&B mode.
- FULL Mode, 1920x2160 sar 2:1: NO auto-3D
- HALF mode, 1920x1080: Yes auto-3D
- FULL Mode, resize 1920x1080 sar 1:1: YES auto-3D
I don't think there is anything we can do about the auto-3D.
Old 16th October 2015, 18:18   #636  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I see. Thanks again.
I have already added the --sar argument to the x264 (and x265) commands. I will release a new version soon...
Old 19th October 2015, 14:07   #637  |  Link
pharaoh

network output path

Ok next question -

\\myNAS\ripFolder is a network share.

If I specify the output path as \\myNAS\ripFolder\BD2MK and it click "Do-it", I get and error "specified path is invalid" (although the destination folder \\myNAS\ripFolder\BD2MK\myTitle\MPLSxx gets created).

But if I map a drive letter (X to \\MyNAS\ripFolder and specify the output folder as X:\BD2MK, it works fine.

?
Old 19th October 2015, 14:37   #638  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

That error message is not issued directly by BD3D2MK3D. It's probably a third party exe that causes the problem.

Where and when do you see the error message? Do you know what exe is the culprit? Perhaps if I know what exe refuses the path I will be able to do something (although I don't think so).

Anyway, I recommend to encode locally. MkvMerge in particular is very slow when it muxes a file on a network share, and I suppose that everything will be much slower. But if you really want to do it, you can map the network drive, as you have discovered yourself.

BTW, if you want to just move the final file to your NAS, you can also edit __POSTPROCESS_3D.cmd to add a DOS command that will move the final MKV to your preferred location. Or, if you prefer, you can also edit the __MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt and add the destination path in the --output argument.
If you do it, note that all backslash characters must be doubled, or replaced with normal slash, like this:
--output
\\\\myNAS\\DestinationFolder\\file.mkv
or:
--output
//myNAS/DestinationFolder/file.mkv
(I have never tried the second method, but it should work.)
Old 20th October 2015, 02:50   #639  |  Link
thahandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
That error message is not issued directly by BD3D2MK3D. It's probably a third party exe that causes the problem.

Where and when do you see the error message? Do you know what exe is the culprit? Perhaps if I know what exe refuses the path I will be able to do something (although I don't think so).
(u can create a share and use locally)
I just tested it and getting a error "specified path is invalid"

with the message:
Quote:
Het opgegeven pad is ongeldig. (specified path is invalid)
Het opgegeven pad is ongeldig. (specified path is invalid)
while executing
"exec -- cmd /c dir [string map {/ \\} $src]"
(procedure "GetFreeDiscSpace" line 8)
invoked from within
"GetFreeDiscSpace"
(procedure "GenerateAvs" line 721)
invoked from within
"GenerateAvs"
invoked from within
".nbf5.gf.gen invoke "
invoked from within
".nbf5.gf.gen instate {pressed !disabled} { .nbf5.gf.gen state !pressed; .nbf5.gf.gen invoke } "
(command bound to event)
something with "GetFreeDiscSpace" went wrong @ //host/share i guess and after that u can't "do it" again, its grayed out with the "specified path is invalid" message on the left bottom.
Quote:
Anyway, I recommend to encode locally. MkvMerge in particular is very slow when it muxes a file on a network share, and I suppose that everything will be much slower. But if you really want to do it, you can map the network drive, as you have discovered yourself.
[...]
If its slow it a hardware issue. Network speed should be the limit

Last edited by thahandy; 20th October 2015 at 03:57.
Old 20th October 2015, 10:08   #640  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I see. Damn! Again a bug in GetFreeDiscSpace. Luckily, it should be easy to fix. I'll fix it today and I will probably release the new version soon after. Thanks for the report.

I agree that the speed of the network is the limit, but I have noticed strange things. For example, when MkvMerge has finished muxing the elementary streams, it has to modify the MKV header to write specific values not known when the job has started. That operation is very short when the target file is on a local disc, but takes much time on a network share. I don't know why, but it's a fact. It's why when I have to remux a file on my NAS (for example because there is an audio/video sync problem), I prefer to copy the file on a local HDD, edit it locally, and copy it back to the NAS. In my experience, it's much more rapid. Anyway, you are free to store the BD3D2MK3D project files on a network share if you wish. The next version should be able to handle it correctly.
Closed Thread