Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th September 2015, 23:51   #33241  |  Link
zveroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
madVR v0.89.4
Option "disable desktop composition (Vista and Windows 7)" is not working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Strange, haven't changed anything in that code area for *ages*. Could you check which is the last madVR version which still has that working?
The problem started with v.0.88.6
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...55#post1722055

Ups... Sorry. I checked again - the problem started with madVR-0.88.2

madVR-0.88.1 -- OK
madVR-0.88.2 -- "disable desktop composition" is not working

Last edited by zveroboy; 29th September 2015 at 01:10.
zveroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 03:19   #33242  |  Link
Stan

I updated from .2 to madVR v0.89.5 today and since then I cannot move an already playing video frame (mpc-hc) to a second monitor. The picture just freezes but the sound continues to play.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 04:04   #33243  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I updated from .2 to madVR v0.89.5 today and since then I cannot move an already playing video frame (mpc-hc) to a second monitor. The picture just freezes but the sound continues to play.
Any more specifics? This works fine on my system:

Win10 x64, 980Ti with 355.98, MPC-HC 1.7.9 x64, D3D9 overlay, madVR v0.89.5. I also tested D3D9 windowed and had no issues with it either.

I can drag it back and forth while playing without any trouble.
Old 29th September 2015, 05:31   #33244  |  Link
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Any more specifics?
Win8.1 x64, 980Ti with 355.98, MPC-HC 1.7.9.165 (nightly) x64, madVR v0.89.5, not sure about the overlay mode, can't find that setting atm. I tried with the last mpc-hc final release and it still happens with it. I reset madVR settings, still happens. Using mpc-hc's EVR works. madVR 0.89.3 and .4 work so I'm pretty sure I nailed it down to .5 breaking it for me.

Last edited by Stan; 29th September 2015 at 05:50.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 09:43   #33245  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Can't reproduce it here on Windows 8.1. Suppose it's probably a Windows 10 NVidia GPU driver problem. Hope they'll sort it out soon. But D3D9 works ok?
There is definitely some weirdness with D3D11 in Windows 10.
I couldn't say whether it's the NVIDIA drivers, DWM changes, the introduction of virtual desktops/aero snap changes, or something else which is causing it.
I had to reduce the queue sizes to 6 to at least minimize how often things would occur.
I would end up with out-of-order frame presentation (looked like movement was jumping back and forth), screen tearing, or dropped frames.
And when playing multiple videos in succession in JRiver, it would "lose focus" after the first video and play in FSW rather than FSE - despite being in front of all the other applications.

None of this was consistently reproducible, which is why I haven't filed a bug report.
Due to those issues with madVR, and a lot of issues with other applications - including the OS itself - I've had to return to Windows 8.1.
10 really feels like a beta release right now, and I don't have the time to spend troubleshooting it at the moment.
There are definitely some things that it improves upon compared to 8.1, but it just doesn't feel finished.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 12:02   #33246  |  Link
FreeFall

Quote:
* implemented "move OSD and subtitles into active video area" option
Is this a user configurable option? I can't find it in the zoom control settings tab or anywhere else, using Windows 7 x64 Pro.

Thanks.
FreeFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 12:04   #33247  |  Link
chros

Guys, can I test chroma upscaling with image comparison like madshi did with luma in this post? http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...th#post1730855
If yes, then can you provide an image for this? Or a test clip with the same image which was compressed lossless?

Regarding to this question, I have been using Jinc+AR for chroma upscaling:
1. do you recommend super-xbr+AR for this instead?
2. do you recommend to turn on superes 1 pass (I don't have the power for 2 passes) for chroma upscaling?

And thanks for the new version!
Old 29th September 2015, 15:27   #33248  |  Link
mrbinky

Out of memory since upgrading to v0.89.5

After upgrading to v0.89.5, when I try to use Madvr to scale any video, the process quickly eats up my available memory, and then the video stops playing. At which point, my video player (latest 64 bit MPC-HC and 64 bit LAV) or video driver (latest catalyst beta) might crash.. If the later happens, then I need to reboot to recover. I am running Windows 10, 16 GB with plenty of free memory.

I tried deleting the OpenCL key in regedit to no avail.

I tried going back to v0.89.4, to no avail. I suppose I could try deleting OpenCL key again, but I was impatient to watch my movie, so I switched to EVR, and everything was fine.

I noticed that I can play a video at it's native resolution with Madvr active, but as soon as I start scaling it up, even just a bit, memory starts getting eaten. Even if I turn off NNEDI3 everyplace.

Hopefully next update will fix this. I might be able to do some additional troubleshooting or get some logs after I get some from work, but since the whole family relies on this for watching movies, and they are impatient, I cannot promise anything. Might just need to stay away from Madvr until it is usable again.
mrbinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 15:33   #33249  |  Link
aufkrawall

It's bug of the latest Catalyst 15.9 beta driver, happens also with browsers:
http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulle...5&postcount=11
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 15:38   #33250  |  Link
mrbinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
It's bug of the latest Catalyst 15.9 beta driver, happens also with browsers:
http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulle...5&postcount=11
I forgot to mention that I had also tried downgrading my video driver to the official release, and it made no difference.

EDIT: I forgot that you have to actually uninstall AMD's beta upgrade. Now it seems to be working. Thanks!

Last edited by mrbinky; 29th September 2015 at 16:05.
mrbinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 16:04   #33251  |  Link
MS-DOS

madshi,

Zoom control doesn't work for me with native DXVA decoding. Is that intended or I should make a bug report ?
MS-DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 16:47   #33252  |  Link
tFWo

Subtitles position (edit: and size, they become smaller) is wrong when upscaling with latest madVR and MPC-HC(internal subtitle renderer).

http://i.imgur.com/p85kDJ7.jpg

Last edited by tFWo; 29th September 2015 at 17:01.
tFWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 17:09   #33253  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

@tFWo: Yeah, it is broken with v0.89.5. You need to wait for next version.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 18:29   #33254  |  Link
videonerd

Hi madshi,

DontRenderAfterStop does eliminates blank frame during playrate change but still introduces some lag during playrate changes (both increase and decrease). The lag duration seems to depend on the bitrate of the file. The behaviour of the renderer seems to still be different from pre 88.16.

I also notice the following - when playrate changes, the renderer temporarily displays a future frame (presumably the last frame in the buffer) before reverting to the earlier frame (with DontRenderAfterStop).

Let me know if you need further information.
videonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 22:14   #33255  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by tFWo View Post
Subtitles position (edit: and size, they become smaller) is wrong when upscaling with latest madVR and MPC-HC(internal subtitle renderer).

http://i.imgur.com/p85kDJ7.jpg
Actually there is a way around this until Madshi or MPC-HC can get around to looking at it. The problem is you have to use "Default Style" and make sure the selection box for "position subtitles relative to video frame" is only partially filled in the Options menu under Subtitles and then Default style . The check box has three different states; filled, partially filled and empty. It will tell you exactly what it does if you mouse over the check box.

The down side is no stylized subtitles but the subtitles won't be small or in the middle of the screen when you upscale in Full Screen.

It's by no means a perfect solution but a quick fix-it until it can be addressed.
Old 29th September 2015, 22:36   #33256  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
...or MPC-HC can get around to looking at it.
I already have looked at it and it will not work with latest version, because madVR pass wrong video rect. I said few post before, please use older madVR build. Or like you already noticed you can use subtitle positioning independent of video rect.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 22:49   #33257  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
I already have looked at it and it will not work with latest version, because madVR pass wrong video rect. I said few post before, please use older madVR build. Or like you already noticed you can use subtitle positioning independent of video rect.
I actually saw your post. I was just offering an alternative until the issue got resolved. I suppose I didn't make myself clear on that point.
Old 30th September 2015, 14:46   #33258  |  Link
mindz

I ran in to a problem with a 1920x1080 resolution tv serie, this doesnt honor the DXVA scaling, since there is no scaling needed, but chroma still needs to be scaled. So it 'falls back' to my choice in the chroma scaling option and therefor gets bad render times (im using Intel), instead of using DXVA for chroma scaling.
mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 16:02   #33259  |  Link
Marnes

I'm getting a strange problem in potplayer. My video looks like this (sometimes immediately, sometimes after some time playing): https://dropfile.to/M2hih

I've tried a lot of settings and simply nothing helps. I don't know what it's related to or what it's called either so I can't figure it out.

Smooth motion is on (off doesn't help), scaling is basic (I'm not even seeing any resource usage but the sharpening filters work so I guess my settings are kinda light), the rest is all just set to nothing special... I'm clueless.

Any help, please?
Marnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 16:17   #33260  |  Link
aufkrawall

Are you using D3D11? If yes, switch to D3D9.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling