Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th September 2015, 10:04   #33221  |  Link
Razoola

Sounds like the normal anomalies one would see playing 24fps at the wrong refresh rates. Try taking SVC out of the equation and using madVR's smooth motion option instead if your TV cannot do true 24, 48 or 96 refresh rates.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 12:11   #33222  |  Link
Sunset1982

Or try using a custom resolution in the nvidia control panel.
Old 28th September 2015, 12:16   #33223  |  Link
ionutm80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Sounds like the normal anomalies one would see playing 24fps at the wrong refresh rates. Try taking SVC out of the equation and using madVR's smooth motion option instead if your TV cannot do true 24, 48 or 96 refresh rates.
Hi, below are the resolution supported by my TV:

Supported display resolutions
• Computer formats (via HDMI/DVI input)
Resolution Refresh rate
640 x 480 60Hz
800 x 600 60Hz
1024 x 768 60Hz
1280 x 768 60Hz
1360 x 768 60Hz
1920 x 1080i 60Hz
1920 x 1080p 60Hz
• Video formats
Resolution Refresh rate
480i 60Hz
480p 60Hz
576i 50Hz
576p 50Hz
720p 50Hz, 60Hz
1080i 50Hz, 60Hz
1080p 24Hz, 25Hz, 30Hz
1080p 50Hz, 60Hz

It's because I have only 60Hz for PC no? I know Smooth Motion is recommended for this but I really like SVP effect. Is there any solution to keep SVP without frame repeats?
ionutm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 12:29   #33224  |  Link
ionutm80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Or try using a custom resolution in the nvidia control panel.
Hi, tried that, it failed to apply. Thanks.
Old 28th September 2015, 14:24   #33225  |  Link
edigee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionutm80 View Post
Hi, tried that, it failed to apply. Thanks.
AFAIK NVIDIA has issues with that(custom resolutions) on their latest drivers. Try an older one ,for windows 10 of course.
edigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 14:31   #33226  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Hi, below are the resolution supported by my TV:

Supported display resolutions
• Computer formats (via HDMI/DVI input)
Resolution Refresh rate
640 x 480 60Hz
800 x 600 60Hz
1024 x 768 60Hz
1280 x 768 60Hz
1360 x 768 60Hz
1920 x 1080i 60Hz
1920 x 1080p 60Hz
• Video formats
Resolution Refresh rate
480i 60Hz
480p 60Hz
576i 50Hz
576p 50Hz
720p 50Hz, 60Hz
1080i 50Hz, 60Hz
1080p 24Hz, 25Hz, 30Hz
1080p 50Hz, 60Hz

It's because I have only 60Hz for PC no? I know Smooth Motion is recommended for this but I really like SVP effect.
these 100 Hz on TVs is marketing the input for hdmi 1.4 devices is up to 60 hz and nothing more. and you don't need to use a computer format.
Quote:
Is there any solution to keep SVP without frame repeats?
reclock should be able to fix it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 14:53   #33227  |  Link
ionutm80

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
these 100 Hz on TVs is marketing the input for hdmi 1.4 devices is up to 60 hz and nothing more. and you don't need to use a computer format.

Thanks, but by using ReClock I gave up on bitstreaming DTS/AC3 no?
At this moment the sound goes through SPDIF to a Philips Home Cinema which decodes DTS/AC3 ...
Old 28th September 2015, 15:53   #33228  |  Link
edigee

Quote:
Reclock works on 32 bit OS only!
edigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 16:05   #33229  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by edigee View Post
Reclock works on 32 bit OS only!
no. it works on 32 bit players only that's a huge difference.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 17:35   #33230  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Same. Only affects D3D11 for me as well.
Yes confirmed. It's totally reproducible here when
1. open a file
2. pause it
3. enter windowed fullscreen mode
4. instantly resume playback directly after this

I created a debug log:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ig...madVR+-+log.7z

I also noticed that there is a slight delay with D3D9 before playback is resumed, which is not there with D3D11 (but instead it instantly starts tearing and flickering).
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 17:56   #33231  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
But is it normal that neither Jinc chroma scaling after doubling is shown, but only as pre-doubling chroma scaler?
I'm not sure what you mean. If you have a situation where you think the OSD shows something incorrectly, can you make a screenshot (or alternatively write down exactly what the OSD shows for chroma/image/luma/chroma scaling), compared to what you'd expect to see?

Quote:
you looked at the logs and SM was eating them for an unknown reason.
Quote:
on 88.21 i get the same behaviour with nnedi3 and SM active at the same time. so it's old.
Ok, not sure what to say/do then. Probably a GPU driver problem? Can't say for sure, though. It seems that most other users don't have this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
I have no searchbar in FSE-mode since 89.0
Weird. Is the problem still there with v0.89.5? And you do see a seekbar if you go back to v0.88.21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli View Post
Found content where sometimes shortly some stuff like snowflakes or raindrops extends into the black bars. In this case I consider zooming out unnecessary. Don't really know what to do here: A small delay before switching would help but probably causes trouble with other content.
This sounds like really weird content. Delaying a black bar detection change might be an option. But then the question is for how long? "Shortly" is a very relative term. Could be a couple of frames, or a couple of seconds. Delaying also means that in other situations for some frames you'd be losing real image content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli View Post
Other content has a lot of small changes of bar sizes but enough to trigger a switch. Scaling to the mean image size or the most common one would probably be nice. Of course this may sometimes cuts off a bit of content or shows a bit of the black bars but that's imho better than constant switching.
Most be more than 4 pixels difference then. I guess I could make the number of pixels which are considered "not enough to switch" adjustable. Alternatively have you looked into the "if black bars change pick one zoom factor" option? That would do something near to what you're suggestion. However, it would also become active for large aspect ratio changes (e.g. switching between cinemascope and 16:9 in IMAX Blu-Rays). I suppose you'd want a different setting for relatively "small" changes in black bar size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
madVR v0.89.4
Option "disable desktop composition (Vista and Windows 7)" is not working.
Strange, haven't changed anything in that code area for *ages*. Could you check which is the last madVR version which still has that working? I'm on Windows 8.1 x64 now, so it's hard for me to check. Old madVR builds available here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/madVR...sions#download

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
@madshi I don't know if you are still interested in black bars samples but here is another one black_bars_big_logo.mpg It is probably arguable what to do with "artist of the week" stripe. I'd crop it off since it is static over entire show and only annoy. But since it is pretty big it is probably hard to detect if it isn't some useful data. Anyway I just wanted to share this sample so you have it.
Weird samples are always useful, thanks. Currently I'm not really looking at "static" vs "dynamic" because it would require a whole lot more CPU power to do that. I'd have to actually compare different frames pixel by pixel for that. The "artist of the week" is sized too wide to be considered a TV station logo, so madVR considers it as part of the video frame. Probably not much I can do about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk008 View Post
The render queue and the present queue are not filling in D3D11 exclusive in 24HZ. I'm using MPC-HC, Win 8.1 x64, GPU is R9 270X.
Is that with 10bit output or 8bit output? Some users have that problem with 10bit output, but usually it works fine with 8bit output. How about D3D9? How about windowed mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk008 View Post
Does win10 improve madvr performance or is it the same?
I don't know, but I wouldn't expect a performance improvement.

Quote:
I still see "1 frame repeat every 0.97 seconds" in madVR stats and dropped frames each sec.
Please show a cropped screenshot of the OSD (just the OSD). Please don't attach it to this forum (takes too long to approve).

Quote:
Yes confirmed. It's totally reproducible here when
1. open a file
2. pause it
3. enter windowed fullscreen mode
4. instantly resume playback directly after this

I created a debug log:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ig...madVR+-+log.7z

I also noticed that there is a slight delay with D3D9 before playback is resumed, which is not there with D3D11 (but instead it instantly starts tearing and flickering).
No problems here. Does the OSD show anything? Frame drops, presentation glitches, anything? Does the problem go away after some time or does it stay "forever"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
Here is the log using NNEDI3 chroma upsampling and NNEDI3 image doubling: https://www.mediafire.com/?m6269d5iz4yi671
The good news is that it's a log from the right build now. The bad news is that although it's still the same as before, I'm more confused than ever about why it's happening. It's a slightly different location than I had anticipated. Will need to create another test build to get to the bottom of this. But not today. Hopefully you'll be around for testing next weekend?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 18:03   #33232  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.89.5 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* cleanup image borders can now optionally only crop black bar borders
* implemented "move OSD and subtitles into active video area" option
* madVR OSD now respects screen masking
* optimized OSD APIs to allow media players to respect screen masking
* optimized subtitle positioning for internal MPC-HC/MPC-BE subtitle renderer
* added APIs for media players to set zoom/position modes
* added IMadVRCommand::SendCommandInt("keyPress") support (J.River MC)
* some render code cleanup (fully removed AMD interop hack etc)
* fixed: one cause for shutdown crash with native DXVA decoding
* fixed: OSD fused different luma/chroma NNEDI3 neurons into "image"
* fixed: image enhancements "restore defaults" set LumaSharpen "clamp" wrong
Had planned to include some more changes, like some new file tags, or an up-to-date AdaptiveSharpen build, but ran out of time. Tried to update XySubFilter subtitle positioning, but will need a new XySubFilter build for that. Hopefully I can resurrect the developer for that at least, but I have my doubts. We'll see...
Old 28th September 2015, 18:05   #33233  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
No problems here. Does the OSD show anything? Frame drops, presentation glitches, anything? Does the problem go away after some time or does it stay "forever"?
OSD doesn't show anything interesting (I think there's just a small bug with Windows 10 or NV driver which makes it sometimes fail to read out the render queue right, it's then half of the present queue).
I also sometimes notice that there is flickering for one or two frames after pausing in windowed mode.
It might be still a NV driver bug, the flickering disappears when showing a menu or the seekbar of MPC HC. We already had this in an even worse shape during Windows 10 beta.

Last edited by aufkrawall; 28th September 2015 at 18:08.
Old 28th September 2015, 18:37   #33234  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
madVR v0.89.5 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* implemented "move OSD and subtitles into active video area" option
* optimized subtitle positioning for internal MPC-HC/MPC-BE subtitle renderer
Had planned to include some more changes, like some new file tags, or an up-to-date AdaptiveSharpen build, but ran out of time. Tried to update XySubFilter subtitle positioning, but will need a new XySubFilter build for that. Hopefully I can resurrect the developer for that at least, but I have my doubts. We'll see...
Do you mean this allows for subtitles rendering on black bars or that you couldn't do it due to support from XySubFilter's dev?
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 18:38   #33235  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
If I added every bit information to the OSD that anyone ever asked for, the OSD would have 300 lines by now.
Are you remember my wishes of text mode control for this? Or maybe hotkey for copy of this info into clipboard in text form?
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 20:55   #33236  |  Link
kongfl888

Thanks for another release.
kongfl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 21:04   #33237  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
OSD doesn't show anything interesting (I think there's just a small bug with Windows 10 or NV driver which makes it sometimes fail to read out the render queue right, it's then half of the present queue).
I also sometimes notice that there is flickering for one or two frames after pausing in windowed mode.
It might be still a NV driver bug, the flickering disappears when showing a menu or the seekbar of MPC HC. We already had this in an even worse shape during Windows 10 beta.
Can't reproduce it here on Windows 8.1. Suppose it's probably a Windows 10 NVidia GPU driver problem. Hope they'll sort it out soon. But D3D9 works ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Do you mean this allows for subtitles rendering on black bars or that you couldn't do it due to support from XySubFilter's dev?
Couldn't do any changes due to XySubFilter's API support being incomplete. Need a new XySubFilter version. I've already implemented all necessary code in madVR, but can't activate it yet, doesn't work with currenty XySubFilter build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
Are you remember my wishes of text mode control for this?
Text mode control? Not sure what you mean.
Old 28th September 2015, 21:05   #33238  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@media player devs

Please have a look at this PDF:

http://madshi.net/89notesForDevs.pdf
Old 28th September 2015, 21:32   #33239  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Can't reproduce it here on Windows 8.1. Suppose it's probably a Windows 10 NVidia GPU driver problem. Hope they'll sort it out soon. But D3D9 works ok?
Yes, so far no problems with D3D9.
And FSE seems to be working fine with D3D11, so it's not a big issue after all. But people should be aware of this.
I suppose it would disappear if I installed a pre r352 Nvidia driver, but they are from quite some time before the Windows 10 release.

Edit: With version 89.5, my issue regarding shown chroma scaler with doubling/quadrupling has been solved.

Last edited by aufkrawall; 28th September 2015 at 22:02.
Old 28th September 2015, 22:25   #33240  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:

The good news is that it's a log from the right build now.
Well at least there is that. I thought is was progressively getting stupider every-time I want to the restroom lately.

Quote:

The bad news is that although it's still the same as before, I'm more confused than ever about why it's happening. It's a slightly different location than I had anticipated. Will need to create another test build to get to the bottom of this. But not today. Hopefully you'll be around for testing next weekend?
Yes, I'll be around next weekend for testing. No problem.

P.S. With the new build NNEDI3 chroma upsampling is visually working as it should, no discolouration (green tinge) but still heavy fps skipping before I get an image. NNEDI3 image doubling remains unchanged.

EDIT: Actually NNEDI3 is visually correct for chroma upsampling only when you activate the SuperRes filter.

Last edited by XRyche; 28th September 2015 at 23:20.
XRyche is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling