Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th July 2015, 14:38   #32101  |  Link
aufkrawall

There's surely truth in this, but usually downscaling doesn't introduce many artifacts and C-R is neither blurry nor overly sharp.
Dunno if I'd call it "groundtruth" though.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 14:41   #32102  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
my point is when watching a movie which needs to be upscaled it will not be downscaled first then. only upscaled. so the upscaled picture should be compared to the source image to clarify which algorythm comes closest to the source at this resolution.
How do you define 'the source at this resolution'? Do you downscale the upscaled image - if so, using which algorithm? Do you compare the upscale to the 'ideal' upscale using a more expensive algorithm like waifu2x? Do you compare it to the nearest neighbor upscale from a distance where you can no longer see the individual pixels? At some point you're going to have to make a judgment call. With madshi's way of downscaling first, at least you know what the source looks like. The only question is what impact the downscaling algorithm makes, and how it compares to how other sources are downscaled.

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 24th July 2015 at 14:45.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 18:09   #32103  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

the source at its native resolution I meant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
The only question is what impact the downscaling algorithm makes, and how it compares to how other sources are downscaled.
this point should definately be clarified before continuing with these comparisons
Old 24th July 2015, 18:56   #32104  |  Link
Telion

A no-brainer solution is to take the same screenshot from original DVD and BD sources of some initially analog video. E.g. one from Mononoke would be pretty good since this anime is known to be pure analog in production. So all dissimilarities between 2 reference screenshots would be almost completely due to a difference in scanning resolution from an analog film. Moreover, an upscale from SD to FHD would be much closer to a real-life scenario.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 19:03   #32105  |  Link
Akeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
A no-brainer solution is to take the same screenshot from original DVD and BD sources of some initially analog video. E.g. one from Mononoke would be pretty good since this anime is known to be pure analog in production. So all dissimilarities between 2 reference screenshots would be almost completely due to a difference in scanning resolution from an analog film. Moreover, an upscale from SD to FHD would be much closer to a real-life scenario.
Were the DVD and Blu-Ray released at the same time? If not, we run into the issue of studios "touching up" the originals for Blu-Ray release as was the case of Tropic Thunder if I'm not mistaken. The studio applied bad sharpening and noise reduction that actually lowered detail compared to the DVD release.
Akeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 19:46   #32106  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

if possible, Im in favour of using upscale comparisons of 720p to 1080p and 1080p to 4k. that probably already is (720p to 1080p) and definately will be the most used cases of upscaling in the future and imho it makes sense to focus on these resolution when doing comparisons and not compare mini pictures.
Old 24th July 2015, 20:09   #32107  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

The difficulty with 720p to 1080p is that it's not straight-up doubling, so not all algorithms can be applied directly. You either have to double the image using something like SuperXBR or NNEDI3, then downscale using another algorithm, or upscale using a scale-agnostic algorithm like Jinc.

However, if a movie is filmed in UltraHD, and they release UltraHD and FullHD versions, we'd be able to compare scaling algorithms on the downscaling algorithm that studios are using. The algorithm might still differ from studio to studio though, so it's not like there's One True Solution to this.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 21:09   #32108  |  Link
Akeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
However, if a movie is filmed in UltraHD, and they release UltraHD and FullHD versions, we'd be able to compare scaling algorithms on the downscaling algorithm that studios are using. The algorithm might still differ from studio to studio though, so it's not like there's One True Solution to this.
In the end, it's basically what we are doing now. I doubt the studios scan the masters twice for DVD and Blu-Ray releases but it's anyone's guess on what they do.
Old 24th July 2015, 21:34   #32109  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecurityBunny View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is everyone currently using for debanding strength and dithering mode?
High deband & quality trade-off checkboxes unchecked, I really hate banding.
I find Error Diffusion totally useless with my 8 bit QX2710 bypass display, thus just ordered dithering.

Banding can be real-hardcore in real world content:
http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/0Jil84gy/file.html
madshi's deband filter is doing an excellent job.
Old 24th July 2015, 22:09   #32110  |  Link
Telion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeno View Post
I doubt the studios scan the masters twice for DVD and Blu-Ray releases but it's anyone's guess on what they do.
They do if BD is released long after the initial DVD release, as with Mononoke. Of course, the original source must be of high quality, as heavily remastered/retouched ones obviously should be avoided in such comparisons.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 01:02   #32111  |  Link
DarkSpace

Quote:
In the end, it's basically what we are doing now. I doubt the studios scan the masters twice for DVD and Blu-Ray releases but it's anyone's guess on what they do.
Well, it's certainly not Anime, but they did for Star Trek (and did it really well, at that), but there it was advertised. Unfortunately, I don't remember enough to say that it was prominently advertised, but I believe it was.

Edit: Well, Telion mentioned the core information already some hours ago. I should go to bed now.
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 01:03   #32112  |  Link
Akeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpace View Post
Well, it's certainly not Anime, but they did for Star Trek (and did it really well, at that), but there it was advertised. Unfortunately, I don't remember enough to say that it was prominently advertised, but I believe it was.
Are we talking about the new Star Treks or the older movies?
Old 25th July 2015, 01:09   #32113  |  Link
DarkSpace

Quote:
Are we talking about the new Star Treks or the older movies?
I'm talking about the series here... as far as I know, the movies I-X were rescanned only. I've got Star Trek TOS and TNG here, and I've heard that the animates series is also (going to be?) available on BD. Anyway, even TOS' "original effects" video has been remastered in so far as that the footage has been cleaned up after being re-scanned, so it's unsuitable for comparison, I'd guess.
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 01:31   #32114  |  Link
XMonarchY

I don't know whether its the NVidia 353.54 drivers or Windows 10 or madVR or MPC-HC, but in Windows 10, I am unable to use the seek bar in madVR exclusive mode. The mouse pointed can never reach the bottom of the screen and just resets itself to the middle of the screen. Anyone know which software is the issue?

Also, I noticed that latest NVidia Windows 10 drivers do not support CUDA. Is that a problem for using CUVID Decoding in LAV Filters or for madVR or anything else for that matter? Doesn't seem to affect games or anything else I use, but AFAIK CUDA is like the core architecture for NVidia, so..?
Old 25th July 2015, 02:23   #32115  |  Link
aufkrawall

Seekbar works fine here with same GPU and OS in D3D9 and 11, driver is 353.49.
Don't use drivers from WU like 353.54, they lack Cuda and/or OpenCL. Pure crap.

To prevent driver updates from WU for certain devices under Windows 10, see this:
https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/kb/3073930
If it doesn't work, try this script (no guarantee from my side for anything):
http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/wFdDMPMV/file.html
Old 25th July 2015, 04:21   #32116  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Seekbar works fine here with same GPU and OS in D3D9 and 11, driver is 353.49.
Don't use drivers from WU like 353.54, they lack Cuda and/or OpenCL. Pure crap.

To prevent driver updates from WU for certain devices under Windows 10, see this:
https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/kb/3073930
If it doesn't work, try this script (no guarantee from my side for anything):
http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/wFdDMPMV/file.html
Really? Then why is ED working with 353.54 drivers then?
Old 25th July 2015, 04:41   #32117  |  Link
x7007

NEEDI3 in Madvr 88.20 works in Potplayer + windows 10 + NVidia 353.54 + CUVID ?

Because my Rendering always 5.32ms and doesn't change when I change the madvr settings from 64 to 256 or any heavy setting.

and the bar works for me in Potplayer in exclusive mode + D3D11
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 08:44   #32118  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Really? Then why is ED working with 353.54 drivers then?
Because it uses Direct Compute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
NEEDI3 in Madvr 88.20 works in Potplayer + windows 10 + NVidia 353.54 + CUVID ?

Because my Rendering always 5.32ms and doesn't change when I change the madvr settings from 64 to 256 or any heavy setting.
Check the OSD (Ctrl+J to toggle), you should get something like:
image > NNEDI3 ... or chroma > NNEDI3.
Then check with MPC-HC, just to be sure.
Then follow aufkrawall's advice from 2 posts up/back
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 11:17   #32119  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
Because it uses Direct Compute?

Check the OSD (Ctrl+J to toggle), you should get something like:
image > NNEDI3 ... or chroma > NNEDI3.
Then check with MPC-HC, just to be sure.
Then follow aufkrawall's advice from 2 posts up/back
For some weird reason it says Jinc AR even though I selected Chroma upscaling NEEDI3
All others works expect NEEDI3, if I select it , I see Chroma Jinc AR..

anyone has fix ?

Sometimes it's hard to go into exclusive mode in windows 10 , it tries to go in but flashes and you in black screen while the movie keep running, the only fast fix is to run the file again from the playlist, but it only happens randomly when you run the file, then it will always go exclusive without issue.

Last edited by x7007; 25th July 2015 at 11:29.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 12:14   #32120  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
anyone has fix ?
use drivers with openCL.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling