Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th June 2015, 22:31   #30781  |  Link
cyberscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Hope v0.88.11 is working fine for you?
It works as well as test build 5 in DSD11 10 bit exclusive mode. As long as I set the "presented in advance" frames to 4 it works ok, though I do tend to take more repeated and dropped frames with higher scaling settings and when things get "busy" on video with action and/or a lot of subtitles displaying at the same time. I've attributed this to the lower pre-presented frames and not enough frames in advance to compensate for all the action /subtitles on screen.
It was more stable on v0. 88.8 in DSD11 10 bit exclusive on several of my "test" videos due to being able to set the pre-presented frames higher. When not in 10 bit mode, all is well with the queues.
It looks like other have started to chime in about the pre-presented queues not totally filling in DSD11 10 bit mode after build v.088.8. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one to be experiencing this.
To end on a good note, the revised de-banding is working good for me in this build.
cyberscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 23:11   #30782  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by krille View Post
I get a lot if dropped frames if I enable madvr;s debanding. Also the queues does not stay stable.
This mean that your hw is not fast enough / your settings are too demanding.
What about rendering time? Video fps, display and video resolution? What is your hardware?
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 23:18   #30783  |  Link
tobindac

yeyy, still no "ding" from the installer.
tobindac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 23:42   #30784  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
FWIW, madVR is reporting the detected refresh rate via the madVR interface. If Reclock wanted, it could get the refresh rate from there.
Does it mean that ReClock icon could be yellow because it detects the refresh rate incorrectly? My projector supports 24 Hz, and madVR is customized to switch the projector to this mode while playing 24/23.976 fps movies, but ReClock goes yellow almost always. I have to manually change the video playback rate to get the green icon.

There is an issue with 0.88.10 and 0.88.11: the playback freezes sometimes. It happens to me a couple of times on two different BDRemuxes. The issue is unstable; I've tried to reproduce it later (same video, same time, same player, etc.) but had no luck. Maybe the issue was introduced in one of the earlier 0.88.x builds - I can't use them on the regular basis because of http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=284. But I've never experienced it on 0.87.14. WinXP, GF 8800 GT, driver v340.52.
Old 5th June 2015, 23:52   #30785  |  Link
nlnl

madshi
Tested new image ehancement option using this image https://cloud.mail.ru/public/AbGY/UwuASurxH
The results:
Fine Sharp ON

FS OFF

Can not see horisontal lines when FS OFF and the same with SuperRes filter OFF for chroma upsampling.
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 00:07   #30786  |  Link
krille

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
This mean that your hw is not fast enough / your settings are too demanding.
What about rendering time? Video fps, display and video resolution? What is your hardware?
Intel Corei5 2400, Nvidia gtx 960. Rendering g times 5,5 ms average, 7,4 ms max. 1080p mkv, gpu usage about 14%.

Hade the same problem with 0,88.10, but then I could use Shiandows debanding witch caused no problems.
krille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 00:09   #30787  |  Link
MS-DOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by krille View Post
Intel Corei5 2400, Nvidia gtx 960. Rendering g times 5,5 ms average, 7,4 ms max. 1080p mkv, gpu usage about 14%.

Hade the same problem with 0,88.10, but then I could use Shiandows debanding witch caused no problems.
Do you have a trade option "don't render frames when fade in\out is detected" checked ?
MS-DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 00:20   #30788  |  Link
krille

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS-DOS View Post
Do you have a trade option "don't render frames when fade in\out is detected" checked ?
Oh, great, that solved the problem! Thanks a lot MS-DOS!
krille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 01:02   #30789  |  Link
XMonarchY

Now that we moved on to Image Refinement, may I ask - what exactly is the different between LumaSharpen, FineSharp, and SuperRes? I assume they deal with increasing sharpness, which is a bit odd because AFAIK madVR was all about making the image as soft as possible. I guess overwhelming popular requests for these options made them possible, especially the LumaSharpen option.

I tested default settings LumaSharpen (Image Enhancement) and default settings FineSharp (Image Enhancement) with both HQ and MQ content, but I did not like either at all. Both features made dithering, noise, blockiness, banding, or artifacts more obvious/visible/emphasized in MQ, LQ, and even moderately HQ content. Its like these settings canceled all the madVR's image improvement through softness. LumaSharpen and FineSharp were only helpful in absolute best HQ content (full BD's, not rips). I have not tested LumaSharpen and FineSharp Upscaling Refinement.

SuperRes as a Chroma Upscaling filter and as Image Refinement option seem to improve overall image quality, making it slightly sharper, but without emphasizing the blockiness, noise, dithering, artifacts, or banding in LQ, MQ, and HQ content. I wish I knew exactly what SuperRes was doing (without getting too technical) so I could look for those specific effects.
Old 6th June 2015, 01:09   #30790  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
SuperRes as a Chroma Upscaling filter and as Image Refinement option seem to improve overall image quality, making it slightly sharper, but without emphasizing the blockiness, noise, dithering, artifacts, or banding in LQ, MQ, and HQ content. I wish I knew exactly what SuperRes was doing (without getting too technical) so I could look for those specific effects.
I commented on that a while back, but it might be a good idea to repeat it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
There have been some changes to the algorithm, although the general idea has remained more or less the same. The steps now look more like the following:
  1. Calculate an initial guess (using a different upscaler)
  2. Downscale and calculate differences with original image.
  3. Scale those differences to the final size
  4. Improve guess by:
    • Softening the image
    • Subtracting differences with the original image
    • Sharpening (optional)
    • Removing aliasing (optional)
    • Removing ringing (optional)
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 several times.
It basically tries to bring the upscaled image closer to some "ideal" image with no aliasing / ringing / blurriness, while remaining faithful to the original image.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 02:33   #30791  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
It basically tries to bring the upscaled image closer to some "ideal" image with no aliasing / ringing / blurriness, while remaining faithful to the original image.
and that works pretty awesome.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 06:05   #30792  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

SuperRes is very expensive on the GPU so I definitely can't run it more than once. For me, it's only working on 288p videos with 1 pass, and I have to say I love the result. it greatly enhances the image of low-quality videos. If quadrupling resolution, would it be better to run SuperRes twice with 1 pass or once with 2 passes?

The TV already has image enhancing features so I'm disabling those when the output is the TV, except SuperRes for 288p videos.

When displaying on the laptop screen, I like LumaSharpen but find FineSharp too strong. This is useful for low quality videos and low quality videos often have bad artifacts. Sharpening amplifies the artifacts.

Again, I love SuperRes but it is expensive to run, and somehow it is much more expensive than it should on 480p videos.

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 07:06.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 07:09   #30793  |  Link
James Freeman

With 88.11 mpc-hc the queues emptying and will NOT filling back up after I seek, thus the videos stuttering after seeking.
I need to pause or exit full screen (not FSE) to "refresh" the queues.

EDIT:
Sometimes it happen all by itself without seeking.

EDIT2:
*On secondary screen only!

Last edited by James Freeman; 7th June 2015 at 05:09.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 07:40   #30794  |  Link
mogli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli View Post
[...] However since v0.88.x with D3D11 activated (and frame for every VSync off) very rarely randomly in a movie drops and glitches start to occur at about 20 per second [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli View Post
Some more with 'present a frame for every VSync' turned off:
Found a NTSC file which reliably causes constant glitches only in FSE mode [...]
As of v0.88.11 this doesn't happen anymore both with 'present a frame for every VSync' on or off. This applies both to the mentioned NTSC file and also to it happening seemingly randomly on other material.
So whatever you did mashi, thanks for that!
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 14:38   #30795  |  Link
huhn

here my founds about superres so far.

superres can make bilinear into a ok resizer.

i never saw a picture where anti ring even at 1.0 would harm the picture. i totally love it!

anti aliasing can create out of place pixels when set over 0.30. i'm not a huge fan of it.

finesharp:

i don't like the results of it. it is simply not neutral on my test even at weak strength.

lumasharpen:

lumasharpen can create ringing/holoing when the radius is over 1.0. but i think it is very useful at radius 1.0.

i currently use these settings upscale refinement:

LumaSharpen:

S=0.70 C=0.035 R=1.0 no limiter

SuperRes
passes 1 quality medium (i never saw any benefits from high)
strenght 0.40 sharpness 0.25 softness 0.25 anti-aliasing 0.20 anti-ringing 1.00

upscaler is currently jinc 3 LL AR.
Old 6th June 2015, 17:14   #30796  |  Link
cyberscott

My thoughts about SuperRes and LumaSharpen under upscaling refinement.
LumaSharpen at default setting works real well , gives video a bit more pop.
SuperRes works well, especially with upscaled standard definition vidoes and I currently have it set to medium with the following...:
passes 2, strength .40, sharpenss, .25, anti-aliasing .25 and anti-ringing at 1.0
Setting SuperRes to high shows a slight improvement in picture quality but at a high cost of around 10-12 milliseconds in rendering time so I just keep it at medium.
cyberscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 17:28   #30797  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
here my founds about superres so far.

superres can make bilinear into a ok resizer.

i never saw a picture where anti ring even at 1.0 would harm the picture. i totally love it!

anti aliasing can create out of place pixels when set over 0.30. i'm not a huge fan of it.

finesharp:

i don't like the results of it. it is simply not neutral on my test even at weak strength.

lumasharpen:

lumasharpen can create ringing/holoing when the radius is over 1.0. but i think it is very useful at radius 1.0.

i currently use these settings upscale refinement:

LumaSharpen:

S=0.70 C=0.035 R=1.0 no limiter

SuperRes
passes 1 quality medium (i never saw any benefits from high)
strenght 0.40 sharpness 0.25 softness 0.25 anti-aliasing 0.20 anti-ringing 1.00

upscaler is currently jinc 3 LL AR.
Is that for LQ, MQ, HQ, or full BD-quality content? LumaSharpen with LQ and MQ content makes blockiness more obvious to me, so I thought it would be useful if we provided feedback for different quality content.
Old 6th June 2015, 17:55   #30798  |  Link
MS-DOS

For AMD users who have slower NNEDI3 with the drivers newer than 13.12, put these two dlls in your MPC-HC x64 folder and see. They're from 13.12 package I stored before moving from it to 15.5 beta.
MS-DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 18:25   #30799  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Is that for LQ, MQ, HQ, or full BD-quality content? LumaSharpen with LQ and MQ content makes blockiness more obvious to me, so I thought it would be useful if we provided feedback for different quality content.
i'm currently looking for general issues like anti aliasing at 1.5 or things like that.
Old 6th June 2015, 19:05   #30800  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS-DOS View Post
For AMD users who have slower NNEDI3 with the drivers newer than 13.12, put these two dlls in your MPC-HC x64 folder and see. They're from 13.12 package I stored before moving from it to 15.5 beta.
Could you just list the dll's so I can test on my own... I don't download such files

QB

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling