Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th January 2015, 10:57   #27961  |  Link
kalston

I think the old fullscreen exclusive mode should in theory work with G-Sync but I couldn't get the old FSE to work with my GTX 970 and latest drivers. Might give it another try when I get the chance.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 14:54   #27962  |  Link
Toco

How should I configure devices - calibration and devices - color & gamma settings if I am using Samsung S24D590PL display with color profile from this review (direct link to .icm file)?
Toco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 16:51   #27963  |  Link
huhn

there are multiply ways to do this
option 1 (low quality):
load the icm in windows color management. (there is a well known bug in windows where calibrations are not loaded at all the work around is a different program or run the windows calibration program 1 time picture(just press next and down't change anything))
in madVR:
set calibration to: "this display is already calibrated"
don't check "disable GPU gamma ramps"
optional set color & gamma to pure power curve 2.4.

option 2 /high quality): create a 3d lut from the icm and load it with madVR.
set madVR to "calibrate this display by using external 3DLUT files"
load the file in bt 709.
check "disable GPU gamma ramps"

i crated two 3d lut from the icm file samsung_s24d590pl.icm for you: http://www.file-upload.net/download-...3d-lut.7z.html

i can't check them because i don't have that screen.

one is bt 709 gamma 2.2 an old standard the other one is a bt 1886 3d LUT the new way to do it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 17:50   #27964  |  Link
Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
option 1 (low quality):
load the icm in windows color management. (there is a well known bug in windows where calibrations are not loaded at all the work around is a different program or run the windows calibration program 1 time picture(just press next and down't change anything))
in madVR:

load the file in bt 709.

i crated two 3d lut from the icm file samsung_s24d590pl.icm for you: http://www.file-upload.net/download-...3d-lut.7z.html

one is bt 709 gamma 2.2 an old standard the other one is a bt 1886 3d LUT the new way to do it.
huhn, this same process works in Benq XL2420T?
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 18:17   #27965  |  Link
Toco

Quote:
option 1 (low quality):
in madVR:

load the file in bt 709.

Thank you. I followed "option 2" instructions and it looks like everything is ok(at least, colors are not broken). Btw, how to use "bt 1886 3d LUT"?
Toco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 18:42   #27966  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toco View Post
Thank you. I followed "option 2" instructions and it looks like everything is ok(at least, colors are not broken). Btw, how to use "bt 1886 3d LUT"?
you load it like a bt 709 3d LUt

bt 1886 is a different gamma the gamut is still bt 709.
Old 7th January 2015, 20:30   #27967  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

I'm jus thinking about something. Why do the video profiles have to be configured manually? Thinking about it, it could be auto-configured pretty easily.

Let's say I'm running with SVP and madVR has 16.6ms to render each frame. What I would manually do is open each resolution of video (288p, 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p) in Widescreen, press CTRL+J and create a profile that brings the rendering time as close to 16.6ms as possible.

madVR could do these tests and build these profiles itself.

or... perhaps even better, it could try various settings until it gets close to its maximum allowed rendering time, and cache these results. If there are dropped frames, it would automatically lower the settings, if rendering time gets lower, it would automatically higher the settings.

Is something like this in the road-map?

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 06:19.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 22:18   #27968  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post
I think the old fullscreen exclusive mode should in theory work with G-Sync but I couldn't get the old FSE to work with my GTX 970 and latest drivers. Might give it another try when I get the chance.
Why old? It's the also the current fullscreen exclusive mode.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 22:21   #27969  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
This article, which unfortunately is in French, contains the following information, which I'm translating:

The last bit about video playback is quite interesting, maybe it could apply to madVR as well if madshi decides to support it.
Madvr support since long time fullscreen exclusive mode, then gsync must be compatible.

Last edited by ikarad; 7th January 2015 at 22:25.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 22:48   #27970  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
Why old? It's the also the current fullscreen exclusive mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
Madvr support since long time fullscreen exclusive mode, then gsync must be compatible.
No. Fullscreen exclusive mode is a necessary condition, not a sufficient one. My understanding is that madVR's new presentation path cannot make use of G-Sync/FreeSync because it has no way of telling the display when to display a specific frame (the frames presented in advance are simply displayed at the display's nominal refresh rate). I guess maybe it could work with the old path, but since madVR relies on VSync information which is made meaningless in this scenario, I would be surprised if it did.

Most likely madVR needs to be made G-Sync/FreeSync aware for this to work. In the past madshi said he had no intention on working on this. Maybe he will change his mind considering that's where the PC monitor market seems to be heading full steam.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 23:09   #27971  |  Link
kalston

There are two fullscreen exclusive modes in madVR, just like there are two different windowed modes.

I recall the old fullscreen mode being like the regular windowed mode, so a 24fps film would send 24 fps to the display (as reported by fraps), regardless of your monitor refresh rate, while the new presentation mode will send a number of frames corresponding to whatever your refresh rate is - and thus g-sync can't really do anything but run at the max refresh rate.

That is what I was referring to. But yes I'm not entirely sure it would work either.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 23:13   #27972  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

Does anyone have any programming documentations in regards to G-sync / freesync? In particular, I'm looking for a way to automatically detect if it's enabled, and what its lower limit is (30Hz at the moment for both I was told, but I'd hate to hardcode that into a player).
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 04:33   #27973  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post
There are two fullscreen exclusive modes in madVR, just like there are two different windowed modes.

I recall the old fullscreen mode being like the regular windowed mode, so a 24fps film would send 24 fps to the display (as reported by fraps), regardless of your monitor refresh rate, while the new presentation mode will send a number of frames corresponding to whatever your refresh rate is - and thus g-sync can't really do anything but run at the max refresh rate.

That is what I was referring to. But yes I'm not entirely sure it would work either.
Testing both FSE modes they seem to behave the same with regard to G-sync, lots of flickering and Fraps reports ~143.5 Hz not 24 Hz in both modes. 24 Hz is too slow for G-sync anyway, even if madVR did send it.

Interestingly MPDN does not flicker when using G-sync with any of its D3D modes (9, 10, or 11).
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 09:40   #27974  |  Link
Vyral

Quote:
option 1 (low quality):
in madVR:

load the file in bt 709.

I've the icm profile for my monitor thanks to the manufacturer's drivers. I think it's calibrated for BT.709.

I want to create a BT.1886 3D LUT, should I follow this tutorial to create it ?
I just have to start from part 4 and change the source profile in part 5.2 for my icm profile, the output encoding to 0-255 and the gamma mapping to 2.25 absolute in part 5.5. Then load the new 3D LUT in BT.709 in madVR, right ?

Thanks for your help.
Old 8th January 2015, 09:54   #27975  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyral View Post
I've the icm profile for my monitor thanks to the manufacturer's drivers. I think it's calibrated for BT.709.

I want to create a BT.1886 3D LUT, should I follow this tutorial to create it ?
I just have to start from part 4 and change the source profile in part 5.2 for my icm profile, the output encoding to 0-255 and the gamma mapping to 2.25 absolute in part 5.5. Then load the new 3D LUT in BT.709 in madVR, right ?

Thanks for your help.
you need to set your ICM file as target.

and you have to leave output at 16-235 madVR thinks every 3d lut is 16-235. dispcalgui 2.6 shouldn't even give you an option to change this any more.

if you want to use bt 1886 leave gamma at 2.4.

gamma should be changed based on your room lightning. "correct" is 2.2 and for dark rooms 2.4 is recommended. bt 1886 is very complicated just leave it at 2.4. not sure if your ICM has any information for your black point so not sure if it has any effect or just results in gamma 2.4.

and yes you add it in bt 709 and don't forget to check disable GPU gamma ramp.
Old 8th January 2015, 13:10   #27976  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I've had an issue for awhile now where I will play a video in FSE mode and the render time will settle down to say, 30ms for 720p->1080p NNEDI3 upscaling. Then I'll back out to windowed mode and back into FSE and the render time will drop down to a steady 25ms. I'm not sure what's happening but I can reproduce this consistently. I have my gpu overclocked and it's almost like madVR isn't accepting the overclock in FSE even though Afterburner says it's using 1050 core the entire time.
madVR is not even aware of whether the GPU is overclocked or not, let alone control it in any way. This is all outside of madVR's control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neet009 View Post
Now it works well with HCFR.
Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
Is it normal for the Nvidia Control Panel settings like deinterlace etc to have no effect on the image when using madvr?
NVidia deinterlacing settings only have an effect if DXVA deinterlacing is used (maybe also for CUVID deinterlacing, I don't know). The other GPU control panel options may or may not have an affect if DXVA deinterlacing or DXVA scaling is used, but they won't have an effect otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
Hi Madshi, the problem seemed to start with 0.87.11 - it was not present in 0.87.10.

The problem is when I am using a second display (e.g. my Samsung UE40H6400 TV, via HDMI, and an AMD HD7790 GPU). I can force film mode on the primary display, but not when the MPC-HC window is on the secondary display. When I toggle through modes, it just goes through auto and video, and skips film.
Could you please double check by going back to v0.87.10 that the problem was indeed introduced exactly by v0.87.11? The reason I'm asking you to do that is that none of the changes in v0.87.11 should affect film mode in any way. I rather think that the problem was introduced by some other change. Maybe you're using native DXVA decoding now? Film mode only works with software decoding (or DXVA copyback).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It would be interesting to have madVR be G-sync (or FreeSync) aware, it seems like it would be possible to have the audio and video sync be very exact without smooth motion, basically like Reclock but adjusting the video frame timing instead of re-sampling the audio. This would also be great for bit-streaming without smooth motion.
If only I could tell FreeSync in advance which frame to present when. But I don't think it works like that. Basically in order to use FreeSync, I would have to present each video frame exactly at the right time, which means fluidity would depend on how reliably madVR gets CPU time from the task scheduler. IMHO that would be a step backwards. Windows is not a real time OS.

Last edited by madshi; 8th January 2015 at 13:13.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 13:16   #27977  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.87.13 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* madTPG: added "madVR_Find" API
* madTPG: fixed "madVR_GetVersion" API
* added OSD API stretch option
Once again only API changes. For your interest, all these recent changes are made to improve support for Calman, DVBViewer and one more application (not XBMC/Kodi, don't get your hopes up), which are all in the process of adding/improving support for madVR.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 21:27   #27978  |  Link
XinHong

I didn't know that DVBViewer was able to use madVR
XinHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 22:39   #27979  |  Link
Plutotype

Madshi, any chance to ask Light Illusion to include remote madtpg control as you have done with Calman please?

Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 22:57   #27980  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by XinHong View Post
I didn't know that DVBViewer was able to use madVR
Maybe not yet?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling