Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th August 2014, 22:08   #27181  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novalis View Post
It had something to do with xysubfilter. After uninstalling them i got my video.
But now it's even worse. it runs a couple of seconds and then the complete system crashes an reboots. audio sounds ugly, choppy, thats all I can register before crash. That whole thing seems pretty unstable to me. Never had such a bad experience with other filters/decoders.
sound like over heating.

post your hole system a 710 have huge problem with madVR the processing power of this video card is about "nothing".
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 22:45   #27182  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

broken or misregistered codec/filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novalis View Post
It had something to do with xysubfilter. After uninstalling them i got my video.
But now it's even worse. it runs a couple of seconds and then the complete system crashes an reboots. audio sounds ugly, choppy, thats all I can register before crash. That whole thing seems pretty unstable to me. Never had such a bad experience with other filters/decoders.
Have you scanned your system with any codec tweak tools to see if you have broken codec, or mis-registered filters? Since more people haven't reported the issue with xysubfilter your system may have other issues that caused the problem with xysubfilter.
Old 30th August 2014, 00:19   #27183  |  Link
Novalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
Have you scanned your system with any codec tweak tools to see if you have broken codec, or mis-registered filters? Since more people haven't reported the issue with xysubfilter your system may have other issues that caused the problem with xysubfilter.
My system is running fine; playing everything. Just this mad thing's running mad. Got rid of it. never mind.

Thanks.
Novalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 01:45   #27184  |  Link
XMonarchY

What are the minimum specs for a PC to smoothly run 720pp-1080p films with madVR and the following settings without frame drops:

1 - Jinc3tap chroma upscaling + Jin3tap (A) image upscaling (no doubling/quadrupling) + Catmull-Rom (AA) image downscaling + ordered dithering + mild to moderate artifact removal + (possibly) smooth motion???

2. NNEDI3 32neuron chroma upscaling, NNEDI3 32neuron luma doubling, Jin3Tap (A) image upscaling + Catmull-Rom image downscaling (AA) + OpenCL Error Diffusion + mild to moderate artifact removal + (possibly) smooth motion???

I work at a PC repair shop and some people are interested in HT computers that can provide a good picture quality at a relatively low cost. The 2 sets of settings are for high quality and very high quality image, but I have no clue what kind of minimum specs are needed for either #1 or #2. I have 3770K @ 4.8Ghz and GTX 780 Ti, but that is FAR from minimal AFAIK. Anyone have an approximation?
Old 30th August 2014, 01:51   #27185  |  Link
clsid

Several people have reported compatibility problems with Nvidia Optimus systems and the latest version of madVR. It is most likely some driver issue.

Does anyone here have an Optimus system that does work? If so, which Nvidia GPU and which driver do you use?

A Nvidia GT 610 is a very weak card. I isn't powerful enough to run madVR with settings high enough to make it worthwhile.
Old 30th August 2014, 01:59   #27186  |  Link
*Touche*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
What are the minimum specs for a PC to smoothly run 720pp-1080p films with madVR and the following settings without frame drops:

1 - Jinc3tap chroma upscaling + Jin3tap (A) image upscaling (no doubling/quadrupling) + Catmull-Rom (AA) image downscaling + ordered dithering + mild to moderate artifact removal + (possibly) smooth motion???
I run this with A10-5800K for 720p24->1080.
*Touche* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 02:42   #27187  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Does anyone here have an Optimus system that does work? If so, which Nvidia GPU and which driver do you use?
540M, 337.88
I don't use it often since it's too slow - but it does work without any issues...
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 03:38   #27188  |  Link
MrGlasspoole

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
What are the minimum specs for a PC to smoothly run 720pp-1080p films with madVR
For #1 i would say Celeron G1840 + R9 270X

But if a R9 270X is enough for NNEDI3 i know in a view weeks after i build the new PC.
MrGlasspoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 04:11   #27189  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Several people have reported compatibility problems with Nvidia Optimus systems and the latest version of madVR. It is most likely some driver issue.

From reports the only optimus systems with problems running it are the 800 series. The problem appears to be VMR9/DirectX related. People with the 800 series can't seem to run with the Nvidia GPU selected in Nvidia control panel without a black screen unless they select VMR-7 (Video Mixing Render) along with System Default in MPC Playback -> Output area. People with the 800 series have also been experiencing the same black screen situation in some games. Rumor is that the VMR9 issue has do with how it renders the screen rectangles and may be effected by anti-aliasing settings.As a result there are rumors that turning off anti-aliasing may work as a work around for the issue, but not enough people have confirmed if that is really the case.

For the record I have a GTX 680M (as listed in my signature), and don't have the problem. I don't believe its right to blame optimus for the problem when there is no proof that "optimus" is the cause of the problem as opposed to something with VMR/DirectX. The Nvidia drivers likely aren't the problem as us 600 series users are running the same model drivers as the 800 series people.
Old 30th August 2014, 13:43   #27190  |  Link
RainyDog

So it's been a while since I used madVR and I've been experimenting with the newer settings and changes over the past couple of days.

I've been having an issue where MPC-BE is more often than not freezing when leaving FSE and the only way I can seem to fix it is disabling 'present several frames in advance' which also disables DXVA acceleration. In doing this, I've noticed that my PC draws about 80w less power using the same madVR settings which I'm naturally quite happy with as it easily tops 200w when using NNEDI3 at 32/64 neurons in combination with Jinc.

It probably shouldn't be surprising as my GPU is a power hungry Radeon 290 and CPU is a still pretty efficient and beefy i7 3770k. But I just wanted to make sure there's no actual quality difference between using DXVA2 and software for rendering? Nor any quality impact by disabling 'present several frames in advance' in madVR?

Thanks.
RainyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 14:42   #27191  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDog View Post
So it's been a while since I used madVR and I've been experimenting with the newer settings and changes over the past couple of days.

I've been having an issue where MPC-BE is more often than not freezing when leaving FSE and the only way I can seem to fix it is disabling 'present several frames in advance' which also disables DXVA acceleration. In doing this, I've noticed that my PC draws about 80w less power using the same madVR settings which I'm naturally quite happy with as it easily tops 200w when using NNEDI3 at 32/64 neurons in combination with Jinc.

It probably shouldn't be surprising as my GPU is a power hungry Radeon 290 and CPU is a still pretty efficient and beefy i7 3770k. But I just wanted to make sure there's no actual quality difference between using DXVA2 and software for rendering? Nor any quality impact by disabling 'present several frames in advance' in madVR?

Thanks.
try software and present in advanced first. or disable FSE mode.
software has can better deal with error in the stream but there is no difference in BD playback.

i think you got so high power consumption thx to dxva. dxva forces your gpu in at least mid powerstate and if you are not using nnedi for chroma this is not needed for 1080p on 1080p. so software takes a lot less power then dxva with high performance cards.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 15:50   #27192  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlasspoole View Post
And another question. I see people using Catmull-Rom+AR+LL most of the time for downscaling.
Why not Bicubic 60+AR? Sharper, less aliasing, same ringing...
I use Lanczos4 for downloading high quality 720p videos after NNEDI3. If you want a sharper algorithm use Lanczos. Bicubic is a lower quality algorithm.

I don't use AR for downscaling because there is a bug with madVR that causes aliased text with NNEDI3.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170769

Last edited by StinDaWg; 30th August 2014 at 15:53.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 17:51   #27193  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
But I just wanted to make sure there's no actual quality difference between using DXVA2 and software for rendering? Nor any quality impact by disabling 'present several frames in advance' in madVR?

Thanks.
More than image quality those two things are related to speed of processing images. In some cases render times can be lower while using DXVA2, but with some less used forms of video pixelating may appear when using DXVA2 (same for CUVID and other hardware accelerators with Nvidida GPU). The present several frames in advance can some times decrease render times, eliminate dropped frames, or eliminate presentation glitches.

If you're getting decent render times with those disabled, and you aren't seeing any dropped frames or presentation glitches then you might as well leave them both disabled.
Old 30th August 2014, 20:39   #27194  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I use Lanczos4 for downloading high quality 720p videos after NNEDI3. If you want a sharper algorithm use Lanczos. Bicubic is a lower quality algorithm.

I don't use AR for downscaling because there is a bug with madVR that causes aliased text with NNEDI3.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170769
That thread isn't about a bug with AR for downscaling causing aliased text with NNEDI3.

That is an issue caused by using NNEDI3 doubling for luma but not for chroma which causes chroma misalignment artifacts which are then exaggerated by AR and/or LL downscaling with the sharper downscaling options. Use chroma doubling too and they go away completely.

Catmul-Rom+AR+LL is good because it has the lest artifacts and you get the benefits of LL downscaling.

Edit: Chroma misalignment probably isn't the right way to describe it, if the luma is sharper than the chroma that means the chroma has been blurred more so it bleeds further into the surrounding pixels but it is still perfectly aligned with the luma.

Last edited by Asmodian; 30th August 2014 at 20:56.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 08:05   #27195  |  Link
RainyDog

Well, I figured out why I was getting the large power usage discrepancy between using DXVA and software - NNEDI3 wasn't working without DXVA. I did think that using 64 neurons for chroma upscaling and luma doubling was coming a bit too cheaply, actually Render times and power draw were the same with any NNEDI3 settings enabled or disabled.

So went back to DXVA2 and the image quality increase was immediately apparent using NNEDI3, as was the power draw and render time differences. Using the latest dev build of MPC-BE seems to have fixed the leaving FSE mode freezing from my brief testing last night too so fingers crossed.

On another note, I updated to the latest catalyst 14.8 WHQL drivers yesterday and power draw, heat and noise went up considerably on my R9 290. PC was pulling 250w using the same settings that only required about 180w on the 14.4 drivers! Think I'm gonna revert right back to 13.12 though as I've read further back through this thread that most folk still recommend 13.12 as the most efficient for madVR.
Old 31st August 2014, 14:34   #27196  |  Link
octal9

Quote:
Well, I figured out why I was getting the large power usage discrepancy between using DXVA and software - NNEDI3 wasn't working without DXVA. I did think that using 64 neurons for chroma upscaling and luma doubling was coming a bit too cheaply, actually Render times and power draw were the same with any NNEDI3 settings enabled or disabled.

So went back to DXVA2 and the image quality increase was immediately apparent using NNEDI3, as was the power draw and render time differences. Using the latest dev build of MPC-BE seems to have fixed the leaving FSE mode freezing from my brief testing last night too so fingers crossed.

On another note, I updated to the latest catalyst 14.8 WHQL drivers yesterday and power draw, heat and noise went up considerably on my R9 290. PC was pulling 250w using the same settings that only required about 180w on the 14.4 drivers! Think I'm gonna revert right back to 13.12 though as I've read further back through this thread that most folk still recommend 13.12 as the most efficient for madVR.
i wouldn't advise reverting to 13.12 - when i reverted back to those drivers, nnedi 13 was not working at all for me - the best drivers i've found so far are the 14.7 beta drivers - my 6870 can do very high settings on almost any video and nnedi is working nicely (albeit on 32 neurons luma only).......
octal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 15:07   #27197  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Well, I have tried every driver since 13.12 and each time there has been a performance hit and I rolled back. I push my 270x to the max, so it's very easy to see this hit in performance, since I will immediately get dropped frames. I know every system is different, therefore it's always best to test for yourself, I'm just sharing my experience

QB
Old 31st August 2014, 21:59   #27198  |  Link
RainyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
Well, I have tried every driver since 13.12 and each time there has been a performance hit and I rolled back. I push my 270x to the max, so it's very easy to see this hit in performance, since I will immediately get dropped frames. I know every system is different, therefore it's always best to test for yourself, I'm just sharing my experience

QB
I decided to roll back to 13.12 since I watch films more than game these days and I'm sticking with them as well. Render times are less in madVR, and GPU power draw and heat are greatly reduced from 14.8. AMD have definitely messed something up with the last few driver releases in that regard.
Old 31st August 2014, 22:08   #27199  |  Link
RainyDog

I've discovered that my TV (Sony 55W905) can only display 4:4:4 chroma in Game or Graphics modes but only properly displays 24fps input without judder in Cinema mode. So I need to make a choice between the two unfortunately.

Am I correct in thinking that if I sacrifice 4:4:4 chroma there's no point in using NNEDI3 for chroma upscaling with madVR as it'll just be blurred by the TV anyway?
Old 31st August 2014, 22:21   #27200  |  Link
Megalith

Wait, so the effects of madVR are only active with certain hardware acceleration options like DXVA2?
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling