Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 31st July 2014, 07:28   #41  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

NNEDI3 is quite great, IMHO. It does have disadvantages, too, though. E.g. in some image areas (trees, grass, leaves) it can produce fractal like artifacts. That doesn't happen with Jinc. Also NNEDI3 is a lot slower than Jinc, when using madVR. I'm not sure how speed compares in AviSynth, though. Finally, NNEDI3 can only upscale by exactly 2.0x, while Jinc can up and downscale with any factor you like. So although NNEDI3 is great, there's a place for Jinc, too, IMHO.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 18:03   #42  |  Link
zerowalker

Hmm, well guess i say the same, Lanczos looks similar, but has more artifacts.
Jic looks less detailed, so softer indeed.

But i think it depends on content, some things looks better in a soft detailed scale, and harder need that sharp edge.
zerowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 18:33   #43  |  Link
innocenat

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Also NNEDI3 is a lot slower than Jinc, when using madVR. I'm not sure how speed compares in AviSynth, though.
In my test (on Mobile Haswell, which uses AVX2 that is ~25% faster than SSE3 on same CPU), Jinc36 720p->1080p runs at ~20fps. With nnedi3 doubling with spline64 to 1080p average to 3-5fps prescreener on, <1fps off. I can't test the OpenCL version because I can't force it to use my external graphic over integrated (I'm on optimus setup).

So yeah, right now performance is MUCH better. But tbh, because of current optimization I don't think it will be nearly as fast on CPU when anti-ringing filter is implemented due to branchy nature of the filter. I am looking into OpenCL right now, but no promise since I don't have much free time nowadays.
Old 1st August 2014, 14:13   #44  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Hi innocenat,

Thanks for the update. I was wondering what's the purpose of the version parameter? When I set it to true it gives this message.
Quote:
[Jinc Resizer] [7] Compiled Instruction Set: FMA3 AVX2 SSE3 SSE2 x86
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 14:32   #45  |  Link
innocenat

It currently show Jinc's internal CPU flag (the [7]) and instruction support it compiles with. I was not sure if AVX2 will really be faster at first so I make this mechanism to tell which version of plugin you have. The Jinc's internal CPU flag is because Avisynth and Avisynth+ cannot currently detect FMA3 and AVX2. Granted, its name is misnomer.
Old 1st August 2014, 14:36   #46  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Thanks for the information. One more question if you don't mind. Whats the license for JincResize? Apache 2.0 license? The reason I'm asking is because I want to add JincResize it to the wiki.
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 14:44   #47  |  Link
innocenat

Put it as Apache 2.0 I guess.

The Jinc function calculation (JincFilter.cpp) are Apache 2.0 since they are from ImageMagick. The main resampling code I wrote (EWAResizer.h, FilteredEWAResize.cpp, etc.) is also under MIT license. But the combination (i.e. the project itself) is under Apache 2.0. I guess should put a LICENSE file on the repository.

On a side note, you might encounter line artefact with large upscaling factor. It can be fixed by increasing quant_(x|y) option, depending on what direction the line is. I am still not sure if this is bug in my code, or limitation of quantization. I think it's the former, but I still can't pinpoint it yet.

The code on the GitHub actually now support downscaling, but I haven't thoroughly check/test it for correctness yet.
Old 1st August 2014, 23:16   #48  |  Link
Groucho2004

I decided to play around with this a little which usually includes getting the code and compiling it myself. I used VC10/ICL13 with PGO to build the DLL.

Test script:
Code:
SetMemoryMax(1700)
LoadPlugin("JincResize.dll")

w = 1280
h = 720
colorbars(width = w, height = h, pixel_type = "yv12").killaudio().assumefps(24000, 1001)
trim(0,99)
fadeio(49)
trim(0,99)
v = last

a = v.Jinc36Resize(1920, 1080)
b = v.Jinc64Resize(1920, 1080)
c = v.Jinc144Resize(1920, 1080)
d = v.Jinc256Resize(1920, 1080)

return a++b++c++d
Results with innocenat's DLL:
Code:
Frames processed:               400 (0 - 399)
FPS (min | max | average):      3.965 | 18.09 | 7.212
CPU usage (average):            25%
Thread count:                   1
Physical Memory usage (peak):   1328 MB
Virtual Memory usage (peak):    1327 MB
Time (elapsed):                 000:00:55.463
Results with my DLL:
Code:
Frames processed:               400 (0 - 399)
FPS (min | max | average):      3.998 | 18.29 | 7.263
CPU usage (average):            25%
Thread count:                   1
Physical Memory usage (peak):   644 MB
Virtual Memory usage (peak):    643 MB
Time (elapsed):                 000:00:55.075
This was tested on a i5 2500K @ 4GHz (on XP, so AVX was not used.)

The speed is more or less the same but the memory usage is less than half with the DLL I built, no idea why.

FYI, Here is the makefile I used to build the DLL:
Code:
CPP=@icl.exe
CPP_FLAGS=/MT /EHa /W0 /O3 /Qipo /arch:IA32 /Qprof-use /D "NDEBUG" /nologo

LINK=@xilink.exe
LINK_FLAGS=/dll /nologo

JincResize.dll: JincFilter.obj AvisynthEntry.obj cpuid.obj FilteredEWAResize.obj
	$(LINK) $(LINK_FLAGS) JincFilter.obj AvisynthEntry.obj cpuid.obj FilteredEWAResize.obj /out:JincResize.dll

JincFilter.obj: JincFilter.cpp 
	$(CPP) $(CPP_FLAGS) JincFilter.cpp -c

AvisynthEntry.obj: AvisynthEntry.cpp 
	$(CPP) $(CPP_FLAGS) AvisynthEntry.cpp -c

cpuid.obj: cpuid.cpp 
	$(CPP) $(CPP_FLAGS) cpuid.cpp -c

FilteredEWAResize.obj: FilteredEWAResize.cpp 
	$(CPP) $(CPP_FLAGS) FilteredEWAResize.cpp -c
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 01:22   #49  |  Link
innocenat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
I decided to play around with this a little which usually includes getting the code and compiling it myself. I used VC10/ICL13 with PGO to build the DLL.
I use VC12/ICL14 right now. I am surprised it works on WinXP, though, since I did not select vc120_xp as a base platform, though it is statically compiled.

Quote:
This was tested on a i5 2500K @ 4GHz (on XP, so AVX was not used.)
There are no AVX code anymore, it's AVX2 only now so you require Haswell. I might try to see if SSE2 integer pack/unpack and AVX processing is faster than pure SSE3, but I doubt that.

Quote:
The speed is more or less the same but the memory usage is less than half with the DLL I built, no idea why.
This commit is not in the release built yet.

EDIT: Also, FYI my official built are build with /arch:SSE btw, but important functions are #pragma to specific instruction set anyway (which is SSE minimum)

Last edited by innocenat; 2nd August 2014 at 07:14.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 10:11   #50  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
This commit is not in the release built yet.
I see, that might explain the difference.

Quote:
Also, FYI my official built are build with /arch:SSE btw, but important functions are #pragma to specific instruction set anyway (which is SSE minimum)
Just checked the ICL13 documentation, "arch:IA32" is the same as "arch:SSE".

Last edited by Groucho2004; 2nd August 2014 at 16:27.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 19:02   #51  |  Link
NicolasRobidoux
Nicolas Robidoux

If you are looking for a method of minimizing haloing that does not rely on some sort of a limiter, you may want to check http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse...b4c5d6db824d9b and the linked discussions on the Luminous Landscape web site, possibly starting with the later posts.
NicolasRobidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 17:50   #52  |  Link
DTL

Finally found that I call '2D' processing. Unfortunately current Jinc being Lanczos weighted is not ideal for most high quality work : it is bad for production/downsizing because do not produce 'conditioned' spectrum and not enough for reference display work because has too few sinc taps and additionally weighted with Lanczos window which is with too few taps do not open full potential of sinc kernel for correctly prepared input data. But it have implementated correct '2D/round' resampler engine as I see from quick testing. So we need to add more practical kernels for this resampler - same as used in SinPowResize for production work and same used in SincLin2Resize for reference displaying. And current Jinc is better to rename to some like JLanczosResize.

As for processing speed it is strange to see the runtime-calculated kernel samples. At least for pow2 resize can use static pre-computed kernel and just convolve in 2D matrices using SIMD that is faster. When I do not know what Jinc do I made simple C-based 2D convolution project for Sinc2D resize with static pre-computed kernel as an example. It is on github.
https://github.com/DTL2020/Sinc2D-master

Do developer of JincResize project still active ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Jinc has to be slower than other linear resamplers because due to how it works (can't be split into 2 separate passes) it has to read and process more source pixels. E.g. compared to Lanczos3, Jinc3 has to read and process 4x as many source pixels.

One thing to keep in mind is that NNEDI3 can only do exact 2x enlargements while Jinc can handle any up- and downscale factor you want.
In practice with too large input arrays the 1pass '2D' processing may be even faster in compare with V+H 1D passes + 2 full memory 90degree rotation as we have in old avisynth resampler.

For 1pass 2D we have read taps*2 lines from mem for convolution and stream 1 line for writing. If taps*2*width is fits into cache the things must run fast. For typical taps around 20 and width up to 10000 we have 10000*40 bytes to cache for planar 8bit encoding.

Quote:
lolno. Jinc (and all lanczos-based resizer) has hallelujah ringing. But less aliasing, yes.
Jinc is sinc-based filter and it will ofcourse rings if feeded with 'unconditioned'/illegal content. So it is ofcourse not general resize filter for content from unknown sources. But it good for high image quality data processing and reference video monitor emulation. As such monitors are strictly prohibited to mask any ringing or aliasing caused by illegal video data supplied. So for badly conditioned content it is better to use any other simple resizer like bilinear/bicubic/etc.

In the 'perfect world' it is responsibility of image data producer to supply such (compressed to limited samples) video image data that not rings, not aliases and with controlled over/under shooting per producer's taste with 'decompressing' to analog image data with sinc (pure non-weighted sinc) filter. Practically it is upsizing to infinity number digital samples. With upcoming 8K displays we finally can see FullHD 1080 sampled video data with up to 4x restoration closer to analog form - that is usually good enough. It simulate 54 MHz DAC for DVD-player.

Last edited by DTL; 2nd August 2020 at 20:21.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2020, 07:40   #53  |  Link
DTL

Well - I see this thread is not updated but there was significant plugin update. It looks it finally re-written for much more stable 2D resampler core and capable for downsizing.

Now I think using the current 2D resampler core it is good to add all common family of resizers - at least downsizers suitable for production work (having properties for Gibbs-neutralisation) like Gauss kernel and SinPow kernel. So we at least will have a complementary family of 'true-2D' resizers for downsample and upsample work. Because current Jinc resizer as well as Sinc in 1D is not suitable for downsize (antializing/production) work (without additional pre-filtering).

Which version of Visual Studio is required to build current version 1.1.0 ? (https://github.com/Asd-g/AviSynth-Ji...ases/tag/1.1.0) I tried VS2013 but it looks uses old std library and even can not found std::cyl_bessel_j(1, x) function.
Old 4th December 2020, 08:10   #54  |  Link
kedautinh12

Visual studio ver 16
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2020, 08:19   #55  |  Link
DTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedautinh12 View Post
Visual studio ver 16
It is from VS 2019 software pack ? v16.8.1 is good/enough ?
Old 4th December 2020, 08:24   #56  |  Link
kedautinh12

Yeah ������
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2020, 15:41   #57  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
Now I think using the current 2D resampler core it is good to add all common family of resizers - at least downsizers suitable for production work (having properties for Gibbs-neutralisation) like Gauss kernel and SinPow kernel. So we at least will have a complementary family of 'true-2D' resizers for downsample and upsample work. Because current Jinc resizer as well as Sinc in 1D is not suitable for downsize (antializing/production) work (without additional pre-filtering).
IIRC z.lib is do resize as 2D https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173986
Old 4th December 2020, 17:59   #58  |  Link
DTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by real.finder View Post
I look into its description at http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Avsresize and do not found how to use special '2D' mode. I do not think it is default processing because typical 2D processing is much slower in compare with typical 1D+1D V+H 'fast video resizers' processing and usually have wide adjustment of 'plane of processing' size because it greatly inflence on processing speed. Like with JincResize it is tap parameter. And it cause tap*tap plane of processing size and speed decreasing. May be as squared number of tap or larger when processing block do not fits into cashes.
Old 4th December 2020, 18:16   #59  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
I look into its description at http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Avsresize and do not found how to use special '2D' mode. I do not think it is default processing because typical 2D processing is much slower in compare with typical 1D+1D V+H 'fast video resizers' processing and usually have wide adjustment of 'plane of processing' size because it greatly inflence on processing speed. Like with JincResize it is tap parameter. And it cause tap*tap plane of processing size and speed decreasing. May be as squared number of tap or larger when processing block do not fits into cashes.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...90#post1784190 and here https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...ib#post1788992
Old 4th December 2020, 18:30   #60  |  Link
jpsdr

Humm... Maybe i'll try to MT this one... Maybe... A quick look at the code, it seems not so hard at first glance, but there is allways tricky things possible...
How is it realy better to standard resizer, NNEDI3 ? Or just different ?