Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th June 2014, 04:53   #26621  |  Link
huhn

buy a laptop with a powerful gpu should be very easy with 630. or look for a laptop with ires pro this intel gpu should be ok.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 07:06   #26622  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
shouldn't be a problem but only for 23p for 50 or 60 fps i'm not sure
Nope to 50/60.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 10:11   #26623  |  Link
StinDaWg

I tried the 14.6 beta drivers and with 720p24 videos I get 7ms higher rendering time and ~20% higher gpu usage on a 7850. Back to 13.12.

I've mentioned this before, but now have a sample to back it up. Using anti-ringing filter on any of the downscaling algorithms after NNEDI3 causes jagged/aliased text. With the AR filter off text looks much, much better. This happens on any video I play, and can most easily be seen at the beginning of tv shows where it shows the actors names.

Take a look at the ticker at the bottom. Any letter with a diagonal like W, N, X, M, ect looks terrible with AR on.
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/62692648/file.html
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 16:22   #26624  |  Link
tjcinnamon

SLI and Settings Question

I have two OC'd GTX670's in SLI. I'm fairly certain MadVR doesn't support SLI. Correct?

Also, I am dropping frames under certain settings I think the card (at least 1) should handle. I can either have:

Chroma + Image Upscaling @ Jinc4 +AR (should it be 3 or 4)
Then
Error Diffusion
OR
Luma Doubling @ 32 Nuerons
OR
Chroma Doubling @32 Nuerons.

Given my setup I feel I should get a little more at least a combination of Diffusion+Luma or Chroma or Luma and Chroma.

Do these settings seem okay? What will give me the most bang for the buck (example: J3+AR with Luma32 and Error Diffusion, etc...)?

Thanks,
JOe K.
tjcinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 17:14   #26625  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
I have two OC'd GTX670's in SLI. I'm fairly certain MadVR doesn't support SLI. Correct?

Also, I am dropping frames under certain settings I think the card (at least 1) should handle.
(...)
Given my setup I feel I should get a little more at least a combination of Diffusion+Luma or Chroma or Luma and Chroma.

Do these settings seem okay? What will give me the most bang for the buck (example: J3+AR with Luma32 and Error Diffusion, etc...)?

Thanks,
JOe K.
To compare performance we're missing a crucial info: source (movie's) resolution, FPS and target (display's) resolution.

I am not running an SLI config, but remember reports of problems with SLI/CF, also madVR doesn't have any special code for SLI, if I remember correctly.

Maybe try creating a profile for your video player's executable that forces single-GPU SLI mode to see if it helps? For instructions see http://www.nvidia.in/object/slizone-appprofile-in.html
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 17:32   #26626  |  Link
SamKook

SLI is supported fine, but might be slower than simply running it on one card. I haven't read on it in a while, but I think they share their memory which isn't added up so there's probably moves there that slow things down instead of adding to the performance.

I don't watch much video on my SLI rig so I never actually compared performance(but others have reported it was slower), but I can run J3+AR fine for luma and chroma and error diffusion was making my 2 factory OC'd GTX 760 heat up quite a bit in fullscreen, but it was also working fine.
I'm using nvidia surround so that might not help when the resolution is 5760x1080, but I don't know if it only processes the movie rectangle or if some things also apply to the rest of the black sections.
Old 10th June 2014, 20:21   #26627  |  Link
Asmodian

After madshi's optimizations meant to improve AMD's interop cost Nvidia SLI has much less of a penalty but it is still a bit slower. I don't understand why as I have madVR set to only try to use one card, the reported memory usage on both cards is identical when SLI is enabled so I think SamKook is correct.

@tjcinnamon, Try with SLI disabled. Don't bother with chroma doubling but if you have extra GPU power you could try chroma scaling set to NNEDI3 16/32. Jinc 3 AR is better than Jinc 4, especially if you count cost; Jinc 4 is noticeably slower with no benefit.

(I am using SLI Titans, i7-3770K, Win 8.1)

Edit: Error Diffusion is more of a "what you like on your particular screen" setting. I like ED option 2 with both boxes unchecked the most but it is really hard to notice the difference between that and ordered dithering when watching on my 27" 2560x1440 monitor. On a larger 1080p display ED matters more (as long as you aren't too far away). The more you can see the pixels the more the dither setting matters but ordered dithering is already quite good so if you don't have enough performance ordered dithering is a good trade off IMO.

Last edited by Asmodian; 10th June 2014 at 20:33.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 20:47   #26628  |  Link
Dodgexander

For those trying to get decent scaling algorithms on low range cards, I own a Radeon HD5450 and couldn't use anything for image upscaling apart from bilinear (chroma was fine apart from jinc). I think the default gpu queue size of 8 is too much for this little card. I reduced it to 6 and now I can use lanczos at also. 1 also works ok but I thought I'd raise a little higher to be on the safe side.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 00:34   #26629  |  Link
mindbomb

Try using the disable desktop composition option. The 512MB on the 5450 might be the issue there.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 01:01   #26630  |  Link
tjcinnamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
After madshi's optimizations meant to improve AMD's interop cost Nvidia SLI has much less of a penalty but it is still a bit slower. I don't understand why as I have madVR set to only try to use one card, the reported memory usage on both cards is identical when SLI is enabled so I think SamKook is correct.

@tjcinnamon, Try with SLI disabled. Don't bother with chroma doubling but if you have extra GPU power you could try chroma scaling set to NNEDI3 16/32. Jinc 3 AR is better than Jinc 4, especially if you count cost; Jinc 4 is noticeably slower with no benefit.

(I am using SLI Titans, i7-3770K, Win 8.1)

Edit: Error Diffusion is more of a "what you like on your particular screen" setting. I like ED option 2 with both boxes unchecked the most but it is really hard to notice the difference between that and ordered dithering when watching on my 27" 2560x1440 monitor. On a larger 1080p display ED matters more (as long as you aren't too far away). The more you can see the pixels the more the dither setting matters but ordered dithering is already quite good so if you don't have enough performance ordered dithering is a good trade off IMO.
Yeah, I can confirm that. If I turn off SLI globally I can get ED2 and Luma 32 neurons with MadVR BUT if I try to turn it off by managing 3d settings with the driver, I get dropped frames and can have either ED2 OR Luma32n.

So I have posted a bunch of other places to ask why the drivers are not disabling SLI fully with MPC-HC + madvr.

Any advice?

This is on an HTPC so my monitor is 46" LED. I'm thinking ED2 and Luma are gonna get the most bang for the buck (as opposed to Chroma upscaling).

Thoughts on that?
Old 12th June 2014, 01:14   #26631  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Yeah, I can confirm that. If I turn off SLI globally I can get ED2 and Luma 32 neurons with MadVR BUT if I try to turn it off by managing 3d settings with the driver, I get dropped frames and can have either ED2 OR Luma32n.

So I have posted a bunch of other places to ask why the drivers are not disabling SLI fully with MPC-HC + madvr.

Any advice?
I have tried really hard to get the drivers to really disable SLI for madVR, they cannot do it. I think there is something about SLI that is on no matter what the rendering mode is set to.

Quote:
This is on an HTPC so my monitor is 46" LED. I'm thinking ED2 and Luma are gonna get the most bang for the buck (as opposed to Chroma upscaling).

Thoughts on that?
You are probably correct.
Old 12th June 2014, 04:20   #26632  |  Link
tjcinnamon

Quote:
I have tried really hard to get the drivers to really disable SLI for madVR, they cannot do it. I think there is something about SLI that is on no matter what the rendering mode is set to.
You are probably correct.
I posted in 3 graphics cards forums with no response. I'm wondering if I can create two different logins and have different windows settings

Would Luma 64 nuerons without ED2 be better than Luma 32 + ED2 in madvr?
Old 12th June 2014, 07:19   #26633  |  Link
mysterix

What is the desktop composition? When an "Disable desktop composition" option is should to be used? Does it have any influence on performance?
(have win8)

Last edited by mysterix; 12th June 2014 at 07:29.
mysterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 09:51   #26634  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

It can't be disabled on win8, so this option should have no influence.
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 11:24   #26635  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Would Luma 64 nuerons without ED2 be better than Luma 32 + ED2 in madvr?
Try and see, it would depend on if you can see/notice the ordered dither pattern.

The more neurons the better.
Old 12th June 2014, 12:55   #26636  |  Link
Nui

@ madvr
Small idea.
It could be helpful for evaluation of LUTs if one could set 2 LUTs and a shortcut for switching between them for A/B comparison.
Maybe even use both LUTs on one half of the image each.

Thank you for your work.
As as side note, I find it incredible how much information can be conveyed with 1bit dithering (or 8 colors)
Nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 15:09   #26637  |  Link
G_M_C

Since a few weeks AMD has realased their new 14.6 beta driver. This driver adds a setting to set display color depth for displays that support it. See screenie below.

I've installed the driver, and can set my TV to 10 bpc. When i then set MPC to D3D output, 10 bit out etc. etc. I actually can get 10 bit out (a2R10G10B10 output, CTRL-J stats screen, had to use EVR custom to confirm). So i can confirm this setting seems to work.

When madVR comes to the point that 10-bit or higher output is implemented, you can really get a player that supports deep-color for AMD users with the 14.6 driver and supported displays.
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 14:50   #26638  |  Link
tjcinnamon

Quote:
I reported the bug to Nvidia. Next time, I'm gonna ditch my 670's and just get one 880 Ti (if and when they come out). That will have better madVR performance.

I wonder if the dual GPU/single card cards have the same SLI issue with madvr
Old 13th June 2014, 19:18   #26639  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
I wonder if the dual GPU/single card cards have the same SLI issue with madvr
Yep, do not get dual GPU cards (AMD or Nvidia).
Old 14th June 2014, 03:52   #26640  |  Link
Dodgexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
Try using the disable desktop composition option. The 512MB on the 5450 might be the issue there.
I wish that would help me but I think on Windows 8 it has no affect. I'm not certain what's changed but I had to pull the buffer back down to min again (4) after playing a recent dvd. I expect you're right about the ram. I'm not sure what the downsides are running less of a gpu buffer but rendering times seem so high..30ms avg.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling