Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 25th February 2014, 20:03   #1  |  Link
CeeJay.dk

DivX now ships with malware.

A warning to all.

The DivX installer now ships with malware that will hijack your browser settings and embed itself deep in Windows.

This is typically some companies desperate for income does - have anyone heard if they are about to go bankrupt and close down?

If you are unfortunate enough to have installed it, I suggest you google the name of the malware you got and the keyword "remove"

The kind of malware changes - I got the Conduit Search browser hijacker with my installation.
Here is a guide to removing that : http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-conduit-search-virus/
Old 25th February 2014, 20:31   #2  |  Link

Where did you download the installation package from?
Old 25th February 2014, 20:33   #3  |  Link
vood007

Thanks for the warning.

Ps. This is why Sandboxie is one of the greatest piece of windows software ever made...
Old 25th February 2014, 21:23   #4  |  Link
therube

Softpedia classifies it as "Ad-supported" (as opposed to Freeware or something else):

Code:
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:

Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
    Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
    Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/DivX-Play-Bundle-incl-DivX-Player.shtml
Old 25th February 2014, 23:42   #5  |  Link
turbojet

CeeJay.dk: Divx's parent company, rovi, is trying to sell the company. So probably trying all they can to make it look more profitable. Making the product (esp. avc and hevc video encoders) competitive would be a much better route to take imo but maybe they aren't willing to invest in a currently non-profitable company. I hope they stay around as they play a crucial part in the video encoding community with their certified hardware.

A bit off topic but speaking of competitive products, would you have interest in starting a thread about your pixel shaders in the software player forum? I ask because they are kind of difficult to track down and also I don't feel it's appropriate for anyone but you to start the thread since you are a member.

Last edited by turbojet; 25th February 2014 at 23:44.
Old 26th February 2014, 09:39   #6  |  Link
toniash

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
CeeJay.dk:

A bit off topic but speaking of competitive products, would you have interest in starting a thread about your pixel shaders in the software player forum? I ask because they are kind of difficult to track down and also I don't feel it's appropriate for anyone but you to start the thread since you are a member.
Very good idea!!
Old 26th February 2014, 14:59   #7  |  Link
CeeJay.dk

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Where did you download the installation package from?
From www.divx.com
Old 26th February 2014, 15:14   #8  |  Link
CeeJay.dk

Quote:
Okay. I'll look into that later this week then when I have more time.

I need to first create an updated package with all the filters from SweetFX that might be interesting for MPC users (are there other players that support shaders?) and perhaps a .reg file that will install them - it's annoying that MPC has no easy way to install new shader filter or options to control them, but I'll try to make the process as painless as possible.
Old 26th February 2014, 16:26   #9  |  Link
toniash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJay.dk View Post

(are there other players that support shaders?) and perhaps a .reg file that will install them - it's annoying that MPC has no easy way to install new shader filter or options to control them, but I'll try to make the process as painless as possible.
KmPlayer, Potplayer, and Splayer support shaders also.
Old 26th February 2014, 16:57   #10  |  Link
vBm
MPC-HC Helper xD

Quote:
it's annoying that MPC has no easy way to install new shader filter
If you don't have it already, create Shaders folder where .exe is and dump foo.hlsl into it and you're done

then open options -> shaders -> and start using it.

Can't be easier then that.
Old 26th February 2014, 23:18   #11  |  Link
turbojet

Ceejay.dk: Sounds good, I noticed you don't provide pixel shaders anymore but others have translated them from sweetfx. Which is part of the reason why I was on 1.3 until a few days ago stumbled upon 1.4.1 and there's quite a bit of a difference, mostly good but one not so good. I'll detail it in the new thread.

vBm: Does mpc use hlsl extension now? It used to use txt like all the other players iirc but then changed to psh for some unknown reason.
Old 27th February 2014, 00:08   #12  |  Link
vBm
MPC-HC Helper xD

Quote:
vBm: Does mpc use hlsl extension now? It used to use txt like all the other players iirc but then changed to psh for some unknown reason.
Yes it does. MPC-HC got major Shaders overhaul made by alexmarsev for v1.7.2.

Read more about it here.
Old 27th February 2014, 00:15   #13  |  Link
turbojet

Wonder when they'll change pixel shaders file extensions again, at least this time its a meaningful extension and doesn't clash with others although VS will be opening it by default, which I think most people will change.

Pointless changing from txt imo and would make things a bit easier if they just left it at that. Oh well I suggest txt extension as long as mpc-hc plays musical chairs while the others stick with txt, including mpc-be.
Old 3rd March 2014, 12:58   #14  |  Link
toniash

Quote:

I need to first create an updated package with all the filters from SweetFX that might be interesting for MPC users (are there other players that support shaders?) and perhaps a .reg file that will install them - it's annoying that MPC has no easy way to install new shader filter or options to control them, but I'll try to make the process as painless as possible.
Busy?
Old 3rd March 2014, 15:03   #15  |  Link

Closing thread as it has gone off topic. Start a new thread for a new topic.
Closed Thread