Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd January 2014, 20:16   #21621  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Sorry it certainly won't help, but I've installed 0.87, enabled this NNEDI setting for Luma, enabled debanding default options, tried 3 videos, and all works without problem (no dropped frame).

But don't ask me to tell you the usefullness of NNEDI, I'm often not able to see differences between "Bilinear" and others... :/
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:16   #21622  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by naoan View Post
It's working great with ye old HD4850 and 13.9 legacy driver. Well it does show image, not sure if you make it fall back to other algorithm if the card is incompatible.
Good so far. If you can't see a difference in image quality you could look at rendering times with NNEDI3 neurons set to crazy values (e.g. 256). Rendering times should shoot through the roof that way. If they do and you still get an image, it seems to be working. Of course if you don't see a difference in image quality it's a valid question whether it's worth it, but that's a different topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
Just incase its still unclear, any OpenCL related feature also doesn't work on my Nvidia GTX 295, black screen, no crashes. I have no other issues though.
Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skankee View Post
If i enable OpenCl error diffusion (without nnedi3): all videos are black in windowed/fullscreen mode

If i disable error diffusion and enable nnedi3 2x: window mode works ( 100% size and a little bit above), but fullscreen is hanging/showing only one picture and it looks like Nearest Neighbor upscaling.

PC: Win 7 32bit, latest nvidia driver and lastest mpc hc nightly
Strange that is seems to work in windowed mode and only partially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
Hmmmm, I have an 8-bit Interlaced 1080p file and have LAV set for DXVA-Native and it works fine with .86, black screen with .87, so something different. I can't even get the ctrl+J info to show....then after a few seconds, the player locks....

Would a log be helpful?
Sounds like different issues. Yes, a log might be useful. But let's not mix things up too much. Let's start with the slow uploads with software decoding. So forget about DXVA for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Forcing/Enabling Deinterlacing freezes the picture.
Forced film mode or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
When the movie changes chapters (normal playback) the image freezes.
One issue at a time, please.

-------

Here's a test build with two fixes:

http://madshi.net/madVR87a.rar

I hope that it will fix all crashes. And it *might* make OpenCL work for NVidia users, but I'm not sure. If it doesn't, please create a debug log for me, with OpenCL features enabled, so you don't get any image displayed. Let it stand that way for maybe 2 seconds, then close the media player down and upload the zipped debug log. Thanks.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:17   #21623  |  Link
kerimcem

my old system p4 3ghz hd3650 agp
nnedi3 no problem works well
kerimcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:18   #21624  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.87.0 released

* improved frame cropping support
Just a quick question:

Is this change only relevant/beneficial to jRiver´s MediaCenter? Or is that related to the player´s implementation of cropping in general? Like PotPlayer, which also allows you to crop on the fly.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:27   #21625  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Forced film mode or not?

One issue at a time, please.
Both.
Its the same Deinterlacing issue,

EDIT: sorry for that, its not after each chapter.
Its because madvr senses in that scene interlacing and automatically turns it ON.

madVR87a, did not fix Nvidia OpenCL issue.

LOG file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/kc...%20-%20log.zip

Last edited by James Freeman; 23rd January 2014 at 20:41.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:35   #21626  |  Link
djfred93

I have a problem with the profil. I use this rule : if (mediaPlayer = "mpc-hc.exe") "MPC-HC" else "MPC-BE"

But madVR always choose MPC-BE profil even if i use MPC-HC.
djfred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:41   #21627  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

OpenCL features still non-functional in madVR 0.87a.

For the issues with OCL Dither, OCL NNEDI, and Video-mode deinterlacing:

madVR debug logs
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:41   #21628  |  Link
Vyral

Thanks for this new version.
Works fine with AMD 13.9 drivers.
I haven't tested debanding or NNEDI3 upsampling or upscaling yet, only disabled everything in "Trade quality for performance". However, the rendering time and GPU load increased dramatically (from 12ms to 36ms in rendering time and 10% to 72% in GPU load, ouch).
After further testing, "use random dithering instead of openCL error diffusion" was the culprit.

Is openCL really that demanding ?

EDIT : using MPC-HC 1.7.1 with LAV filter (internal) + smooth motion enabled

Last edited by Vyral; 23rd January 2014 at 21:01. Reason: add details
Vyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:43   #21629  |  Link
Farfie

Also confirming image freeze/black screen when enabling NNEDI3 chroma upscaling with any amount of neurons. No smooth motion/deinterlacing enabled, and didn't change anything else upon installing .87. GTX 680, 332.21, win8.1 x64.

If the change was made during playback, the last frame freezes there. If it's enabled before any media is playing, no frame gets put up and it remains black (since mpc-hc has black background to begin with like most media players.) Switching back to anything else under chroma upscaling fixes everything.

I also find this a bit confusing since I don't know what all of these filters do exactly (amateur encoder at best). Is NNEDI3 both an image doubler and upscaler? And if I use the upscaler, do I also need to put in something for doubling, or is that completely seperate and for UHD upscales only?
Farfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:50   #21630  |  Link
bejita7

Thanks for the new version, now this is too awesome.
If anyone is wondering how debanding filter works I've made small comparison: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58938 (debanding with settings high/high)
bejita7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:52   #21631  |  Link
DragonQ

Upgraded on my home laptop (HD4000 & NVS 5200M) and now I get a black screen for all videos. Didn't change any settings and it doesn't look like any OpenCL stuff is enabled by default. Can't even tell what GPU is being used...probably the Intel IGP but its load is only 1-2%. Happens with both software decoding and DXVA2 Native.

EDIT: It looks like only interlaced videos aren't working at all (black screen, CTRL+J does nothing, the audio starts out fine then starts massively stuttering after a bit). Some progressive videos are the same but some actually work fine.

EDIT: OK it's definitely using the HD4000. Disabling deinterlacing makes all files work so far (obviously without them being deinterlaced properly).

Last edited by DragonQ; 23rd January 2014 at 21:05.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:55   #21632  |  Link
Soukyuu

Confirming NNEDI3 option makes my GPU choke (=black screen).
Confirming enabling deinterlacing = black screen
Confirming enabling error diffusion dither = black screen.
Smooth motion is on, turning off doesn't change anything.

Nvidia 260GTX here, I expected it to be slow, but not a total standstill. Tried playing with queues, but no chance. Seeing a 770 seems to have the same issue too, I doubt it's just my card being too weak...
Soukyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:56   #21633  |  Link
antonyfrn

No joy with NNEDI3 with my GTX 760 4Gb black screen with the new update and using 332.21
antonyfrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:00   #21634  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

On my AMD Radeon 5850 NNEDI chockes when it's enabled to upscale from 720p to 1080p, works for SD material, but I am completely unable to watch DVDs, Video mode deinterlacing is completely broken and produces blank. That is even with NNEDI and the other OpenCL setting disabled completely.
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:07   #21635  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
madVR v0.87.0 released
(5) Thanks to OpenCL I can now process DXVA2 NV12 data coming from native DXVA decoders, or coming from DXVA2 deinterlacing, losslessly and directly on the GPU. Sadly, this only works for Intel and AMD GPUs. So with NVidia I still have to use copyback, or alternatively live with a small chroma resolution loss.
For nvidia users wanting hardware acceleration, would you say it is better to use cuvid for decode and deinterlacing in lav video?
I was always unclear on the pros/cons of deinterlacing in the decoder rather than renderer.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:08   #21636  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca View Post
On my AMD Radeon 5850 NNEDI chockes when it's enabled to upscale from 720p to 1080p, works for SD material, but I am completely unable to watch DVDs, Video mode deinterlacing is completely broken and produces blank. That is even with NNEDI and the other OpenCL setting disabled completely.
Looks like deinterlacing is broken on AMD, nVidia, and Intel GPUs then. Do you not have interlaced videos madshi?
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:13   #21637  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfred93 View Post
I have a problem with the profil. I use this rule : if (mediaPlayer = "mpc-hc.exe") "MPC-HC" else "MPC-BE"

But madVR always choose MPC-BE profil even if i use MPC-HC.
Should be fixed in the next test build (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
OpenCL features still non-functional in madVR 0.87a.

For the issues with OCL Dither, OCL NNEDI, and Video-mode deinterlacing:

madVR debug logs
Thanks, will have a look at the log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyral View Post
After further testing, "use random dithering instead of openCL error diffusion" was the culprit.

Is openCL really that demanding ?
The OpenCL <-> D3D9 interop eats quite a bit of performance. E.g. the error diffusion kernel runs with about 370fps on my HD7770 with 1080p images. But in madVR it costs about 10ms rendering time (= 100fps). So the lost performance is caused just by D3D9 -> OpenCL interop. I'm considering to at some point maybe use a full OpenCL rendering pipeline instead of D3D9. But not anytime soon. For now if you want to use OpenCL features, you have to live with the performance cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfie View Post
I also find this a bit confusing since I don't know what all of these filters do exactly (amateur encoder at best). Is NNEDI3 both an image doubler and upscaler? And if I use the upscaler, do I also need to put in something for doubling, or is that completely seperate and for UHD upscales only?
If you enable NNEDI3 doubling, it will be used to double the resolution of your movie, if the scaling factor meets the requirements. After NNEDI3 doubled your image resolution, the other madVR algorithms will still run to bring the image resolution to the required output resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
EDIT: It looks like only interlaced videos aren't working at all (black screen, CTRL+J does nothing, the audio starts out fine then starts massively stuttering after a bit). Some progressive videos are the same but some actually work fine.
Yes, video mode deint was broken, will be fixed by next test build (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soukyuu View Post
Confirming NNEDI3 option makes my GPU choke (=black screen).
Confirming enabling deinterlacing = black screen
Confirming enabling error diffusion dither = black screen.
Smooth motion is on, turning off doesn't change anything.

Nvidia 260GTX here, I expected it to be slow, but not a total standstill. Tried playing with queues, but no chance. Seeing a 770 seems to have the same issue too, I doubt it's just my card being too weak...
None of that has to do with the speed of your GPU. The OpenCL problems are caused by NVidia/OpenCL currently not working, for a reason I've not found yet. Deint will be fixed by the next test build (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca View Post
Yes. Video deint will be fixed by next build (see below).

-------

Here's a new test build, should (hopefully) fix video mode deinterlacing:

http://madshi.net/madVR87b.rar
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:14   #21638  |  Link
antonyfrn

Unticking use random dithering instead of OpenCL error diffusion causes a black screen. (Jinc 3tap). Tested with madVR87b
EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
ASUS Xonar D2X

Last edited by antonyfrn; 23rd January 2014 at 21:20.
antonyfrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:15   #21639  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
For nvidia users wanting hardware acceleration, would you say it is better to use cuvid for decode and deinterlacing in lav video?
I was always unclear on the pros/cons of deinterlacing in the decoder rather than renderer.
Just try out what works better for you. But I wouldn't worry too much about letting madVR deinterlace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Looks like deinterlacing is broken on AMD, nVidia, and Intel GPUs then. Do you not have interlaced videos madshi?
It worked until yesterday when I added deint information support for profiling rules, which broke deinterlacing.
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:15   #21640  |  Link
michkrol

First of all, thanks for this new feature-packed release.

I'm using Intel HD4000, OpenCL (Error Diffusion/NNEDI3) works here without problem (of course performance is as is).

Thanks for fixing the Intel's separate device problem, works here.
If you overload the GPU, then it's jumping frames back and forth. EDIT: It also happens with separate device off, so it's not a bug, sorry.

EDIT: Profiles work in madVR87b. Thanks

Last edited by michkrol; 23rd January 2014 at 21:29.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling