Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd January 2014, 19:15   #21601  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

FWIW, the MPC-HC instant crash occurs if you have the Intel version of the OpenCL.dll redirection dll in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 instead of the version bundled with NVIDIA drivers. NVIDIA doesn't overwrite this DLL if it exists, but it stores a copy in C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\OpenCL which you can manually copy to SysWOW64.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:18   #21602  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Wow, that's weird/crazy, cyberbeing! Can you send me that Intel OpenCL.dll via email or PM, so I can test why it crashes?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:26   #21603  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
FWIW, the MPC-HC instant crash occurs if you have the Intel version of the OpenCL.dll redirection dll in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 instead of the version bundled with NVIDIA drivers. NVIDIA doesn't overwrite this DLL if it exists, but it stores a copy in C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\OpenCL which you can manually copy to SysWOW64.
THANK YOU !!!!

Fixed.

EDIT:
I have to enable "use random dithering instead of OpenCL error diffusion", if not the picture freezes or black.
Or to enable "don't use dithering" instead.

EDIT 2:
Enabling anything with NNEDI3 (Chroma upsmapling) the image freezes, returning it to Lanczos unfreezes it.

Smooth Motion works fine here.

Last edited by James Freeman; 23rd January 2014 at 19:38.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:28   #21604  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Hmmmm... Same happens with error diffusion? What happens if you give it a couple of seconds? The first time you use any of these features the OpenCL kernels need to be compiled from source code. They compiled kernels are then cached to the registry. See HKCU\Software\madshi\madVR\OpenCL. Does this registry key exist on your PC?
Same happens with error diffusion.

Waiting does nothing, playback just continues with a black screen. Or alternatively if you enable it during playback, madVR sometimes freezes display, other times it loops the last couple frames indefinitely.

The following key is created by madVR when OpenCL features are enabled for the first time:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR\OpenCL\GeForce GTX 770

Exported: https://www.mediafire.com/?8vhh0mpci996skw

Last edited by cyberbeing; 23rd January 2014 at 19:32.
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:29   #21605  |  Link

Quote:
Oh man. Seems like it doesn't work for *anybody*? <sigh> Why does it work on both of my PCs without any problems. I'm confused...
Is there anything specific that needs to be installed to use OpenCL? Same problem here.
I reset all my madVR settings without any change.

Quote:
Hmmmm... Same happens with error diffusion? What happens if you give it a couple of seconds? The first time you use any of these features the OpenCL kernels need to be compiled from source code. They compiled kernels are then cached to the registry. See HKCU\Software\madshi\madVR\OpenCL. Does this registry key exist on your PC?
If I enable error diffusion I get the image looping the last second or so of playback. (presumably the full buffer size?)

The registry key does exist.

Quote:
Smooth motion works fine here on Win 8.1 x64 HD 7770...
I know you will have plenty of other things to take care of, but it would be nice to have this fixed - I haven't been able to leave Smooth Motion enabled as a result.

Last edited by 6233638; 23rd January 2014 at 19:31.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:35   #21606  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

So it seems the OpenCL features don't work for any of you NVidia users? Do they work for AMD and Intel users, at least? And are there any other dramatic problems other than OpenCL failing for NVidia users?
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:36   #21607  |  Link
G_M_C

madshi, just to make sure: The lates AMD driver you mentioned is version 13.12 from 18 dec. 2013 right ?

Cause I tend not to update software or drivers when its not needed or missed. But this new version of madVR warrants an update.
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:38   #21608  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
So it seems the OpenCL features don't work for any of you NVidia users? Do they work for AMD and Intel users, at least? And are there any other dramatic problems other than OpenCL failing for NVidia users?
NNEDI3 and error diffusion seem to work fine on my AMD system running 13.11 beta drivers.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:39   #21609  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
So it seems the OpenCL features don't work for any of you NVidia users?
Correct.
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:39   #21610  |  Link
noee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
Oh ok. Can you try with different video clips? E.g. one SD clip? You're using J.River MC, right? Can you disable the option that crops 1-2% of the image area, in case you have this option enabled? Don't remember the exact name/place of this option. Can you double check with a different media player, just to isolate the cause of the problem?
Okay, yeah, SD film and video are working, HD 8bit and 10bit are not. I'm using MPC-HC and jRiver, results the same in both, so far.

My playback monitor is 1080p@60Hz

Edit: OpenCL Error Diffusion seems to be working fine here, btw. If I turn it off, I still get the slideshow with 1080p material.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:48   #21611  |  Link
flashmozzg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
NNEDI3 and error diffusion seem to work fine on my AMD system running 13.11 beta drivers.
13.12 WHQL == 13.11 Beta 9.5 + WHQL
That's the latest WHQL right now.
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:51   #21612  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Yes, I think you are correct and I actually installed 13.12. I was fooled by GPU-Z.

On the crash issue:
Now I got a few MPC-HC crashes even without smooth motion. Maybe these two weren't directly related, although it looked like a 100% reproducible issue at first. Perhaps it just increases the probability of the crash. Will test a bit more.
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:55   #21613  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
madshi, just to make sure: The lates AMD driver you mentioned is version 13.12 from 18 dec. 2013 right ?

Cause I tend not to update software or drivers when its not needed or missed. But this new version of madVR warrants an update.
Either those, or the beta drivers mentioned by sneaker_ger. You can try whether the OpenCL features work with the drivers you currently have installed, but I doubt it.

Quote:
Any problems at all? Or everything working as expected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
Okay, yeah, SD film and video are working, HD 8bit and 10bit are not. I'm using MPC-HC and jRiver, results the same in both, so far.

My playback monitor is 1080p@60Hz

Edit: OpenCL Error Diffusion seems to be working fine here, btw. If I turn it off, I still get the slideshow with 1080p material.
So basically there's a performance problem for you, which seems to be caused by the upload queue? I *did* change upload logic a bit, to improve frame cropping support. I wonder why this would result in problems, though. And it seems nobody else is suffering from this problem, so I'm a bit confused by this.

I suppose if you use DXVA native decoding, there's no problem? That would confirm the uploading to be the problem in your case.

Quote:
Yes, I think you are correct and I actually installed 13.12. I was fooled by GPU-Z.

On the crash issue:
Now I got a few MPC-HC crashes even without smooth motion. Maybe these two weren't directly related, although it looked like a 100% reproducible issue at first. Perhaps it just increases the probability of the crash. Will test a bit more.
I've found one problem which could cause a crash, and which might also be causing the crashes with the Intel OpenCL.dll. Might be fixed in v0.87.1. Soon to come...
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:55   #21614  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Ok, now I had a few runs without a crash even with smooth motion. The only thing I could think of despite upgrading 0.86.11 to 0.87 was adding madVR to MPC-HC's external filter list to test the new feature of changing settings without playing a file. Removed it from the list and the crash was gone - might be a MPC-HC issue.

/edit:
Nope, that wasn't the solution either. Can't crack it down.

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 23rd January 2014 at 20:00.
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:56   #21615  |  Link
naoan

Quote:
It's working great with ye old HD4850 and 13.9 legacy driver. Well it does show image, not sure if you make it fall back to other algorithm if the card is incompatible.
naoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:58   #21616  |  Link
mark0077

Just incase its still unclear, any OpenCL related feature also doesn't work on my Nvidia GTX 295, black screen, no crashes. I have no other issues though.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:59   #21617  |  Link
Skankee

If i enable OpenCl error diffusion (without nnedi3): all videos are black in windowed/fullscreen mode

If i disable error diffusion and enable nnedi3 2x: window mode works ( 100% size and a little bit above), but fullscreen is hanging/showing only one picture and it looks like Nearest Neighbor upscaling.

PC: Win 7 32bit, latest nvidia driver and lastest mpc hc nightly
Skankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:05   #21618  |  Link
noee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
I suppose if you use DXVA native decoding, there's no problem? That would confirm the uploading to be the problem in your case.
Hmmmm, I have an 8-bit Interlaced 1080p file and have LAV set for DXVA-Native and it works fine with .86, black screen with .87, so something different. I can't even get the ctrl+J info to show....then after a few seconds, the player locks....

Would a log be helpful?
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:05   #21619  |  Link
James Freeman

Forcing/Enabling Deinterlacing freezes the picture.

When the movie changes chapters (normal playback) the image freezes.
*MadVR automatically enables deinterlacing between chapters.

Last edited by James Freeman; 23rd January 2014 at 20:22.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:15   #21620  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Forcing/Enabling Deinterlacing freezes the picture.
I can reproduce this with my GTX 770. Video Mode deinterlacing produces a black screen. Film Mode still seems to be functioning correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
When the movie changes chapters (normal playback) the image freezes.
Unable to reproduce this, at least with brief testing on some MKV files with LAV Video software decoding.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling