Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th November 2013, 21:59   #20921  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
That actually sounds like a display issue to me. Does your display take a while to show a picture after a refresh rate change? I have one monitor that takes at least three times longer to display a picture after a refresh rate change than my other screens and I often hear the audio before it starts displaying a picture. As far as the computer is concerned the change was finished a long time ago.
About 3 seconds which is pretty long. While not a big deal would madshi consider a delay after display change at some point?

This is one advantage of mpc's slower loads over potplayer. The former only plays for about a second before video displays, the latter about 3.
Old 17th November 2013, 13:22   #20922  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the screen is showing the problem.
Oh, yes; I had to turn up the gamma extremely to see any.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 14:35   #20923  |  Link
huhn

and on a bad panel it doesn't matter you always see them.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 15:42   #20924  |  Link
LDD9O

Has madVR close reaching it peaks? And we will not see any major update for years to come?
LDD9O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 18:59   #20925  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Strange way to ask for future plans. Anyway, Madshi does not (like to) talk about his future plans and he is still active to fix bugs.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 04:07   #20926  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Humm, not sure why but whatever I do gamma ramps are ignored once I run FSE with the latest beta....I've tried all kinds of options and no dice whatsoever.

Easy to reproduce with this attachment using the old rendering path.....would happily provide logs

Last edited by leeperry; 18th November 2013 at 04:16.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 07:54   #20927  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
Strange way to ask for future plans. Anyway, Madshi does not (like to) talk about his future plans and he is still active to fix bugs.
Not only fixing bugs! Debanding is a major feature in my opinion.

It seems very odd to ask if madVR is "done" now, read the last 10 pages. Hints of interesting things to come.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 12:07   #20928  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Concerning fades there's many in this clip which are handled fine but the one at 5 seconds has a lot of banding. Is there anything that can be done with this?
Looks more like compression artifacts to me than simple banding problems. Banding are visible steps in a simple gradient. There is no clear gradiant at 5 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Also does anyone else have issues with playback starting before a display mode change (60 to 72hz for example) is finished? Would this be a madvr or a player issue?
The source device has no way to know how long the display will take to sync to a new display mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I see faint blocking on all color patches, distributed across the entire patch.
Might be a bug in the test pattern generator. Dithering cannot be disabled for test patterns, it's forced on. But it shouldn't be blocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Thanks for the detailed answer. There's one thing I'm still uncertain concerning the re-rendering and the fade detection: at which point does it actually take place? Does madVR have to re-request frames from the decoder or does this not happen as its own decoder queue is unaffected?
Fade detection is performed by the SSE2 CPU routine which uploads the video frames to the GPU. The way I implemented it, fade detection almost comes for free (in terms of CPU & GPU performance) when your CPU can do SSE2. Rerendering is done when the SSE2 routine finds the 5th frame in a row with lowered/raised brightness across the whole frame. Rerendering only affects the render queue and all queues "below" that in the madVR OSD. It does not affect any queue "above" the render queue in the madVR OSD. So the decoder, upload, deint, IVTC etc queues are all unaffected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Humm, not sure why but whatever I do gamma ramps are ignored once I run FSE with the latest beta....
Sounds like a driver issue? Does the same issue occur when using the new FSE rendering path?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDD9O View Post
Has madVR close reaching it peaks? And we will not see any major update for years to come?
Quote:
Not only fixing bugs! Debanding is a major feature in my opinion.

It seems very odd to ask if madVR is "done" now, read the last 10 pages. Hints of interesting things to come.
^ Still many things on my to do list, some small, some big.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 12:52   #20929  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Sounds like a driver issue? Does the same issue occur when using the new FSE rendering path?
Same story with the new rendering path, I guess I could try my luck building a 3DLUT out of my .cal file using this: 3dlut Generator for madVR
Quote:
Applies an ArgyllCMS .cal [..] file to a .3dlut, thus calibrating it for a specific display device
It's too bad ArgyllCMS can't do it on its own, hopefully this'll save my day
Old 18th November 2013, 12:57   #20930  |  Link
ryrynz

Anyone had exclusive mode just freeze? Not sure if it's related specifically to my system or not.
Audio continues to play, If I change to windowed mode in continues to play fine.. then I can enter back into exclusive and everything is normal.
I did see briefly some red text on the top left likely commenting on a direct3d error, might be a tough issue to track down.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 16:41   #20931  |  Link
luke823

Hi all,
If you're interested to see a new media player that supports madvr internally, please take a look at Media Browser Theater:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=169768
luke823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 16:53   #20932  |  Link
sebdelsol

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebdelsol View Post
Quote:

Maybe we should think of an alternative solution for this? E.g. you turning the rendering queue off, so that only the first frame in the queue is getting re-rendered all the time? Or I could check how often you call "OsdRedrawFrame()" myself automatically and disable the rendering queue if I notice that you're calling it a lot. Or something like that...
Turning off the rendering queue would work with me. I guess I would need to be sure that I turn it on again just before playing.
I'll think of something for (hopefully) the next official release. Stay tuned...
I've tested with a rendering queue set to 1 frame. As you said, the gpu load is fine even with a lot of OsdRedrawFrame() calls.

But this solution may be problematic for seeking, since the graph seems to block the renderer after IMediaSeeking::SetPositions().
During a seek IOsdRenderCallback::RenderOsd() is not called for a lot of frames even when I keep calling OsdRedrawFrame(). It could last for several seconds depending on where you seek.

Thanks again for the new debanding feature, it works great with me
sebdelsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 21:51   #20933  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Might be a bug in the test pattern generator. Dithering cannot be disabled for test patterns, it's forced on. But it shouldn't be blocking.
Running the TPG in fullscreen mode during calibration or profiling, on particularly dark patches I see random clumps of pixels with a slight greenish hue that change roughly every half a second - not single pixel noise of a neutral colour that changes rapidly as I would expect. Is this working as intended? What it looks like is that it generates patches at a specific resolution, then upscales them to my screen resolution, instead of generating them at the native resolution in the first place. But I don't know if that's true.

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 18th November 2013 at 21:57.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 01:28   #20934  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Same story with the new rendering path, I guess I could try my luck building a 3DLUT out of my .cal file using this: 3dlut Generator for madVR
Oh well, scratch that, Graeme Gill tells me that this app would appear to promise more than it can actually deliver and that I might as well forget about it.

IIRC AMD GPU drivers have always been hard to deal with when it comes to CLUT's in D3D games, I presume that you didn't only test this feature on nvidia & Intel? I woulda really liked to get BT1886 in mVR too

Now that I remember, this app might save the day: Monitor Calibration Wizard
Quote:
provides a persistent profile option that enforces your profile to prevent other programs from changing the color profile Windows uses.

PS: to those who care, Argyll 1.62 is bound to be released and will include "a slight change that may improve the dispcal black level"...all in good time

Last edited by leeperry; 19th November 2013 at 04:02.
Old 19th November 2013, 07:52   #20935  |  Link
dansrfe

I've observed sharp drops in the render queue with artifact removal at default settings which results in dropped frames every ~5 seconds. This tends to happen only in high motion sequences like action/dance sequences.

Windows 7 x64, GTX 670, LAV, MPC-HC nightly, latest madVR deband build.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 22:44   #20936  |  Link
huhn

i got a crash and i can't send the bug report just got this:
http://abload.de/img/bugreportbugdysj2.png

the problem was the old mpc hc version so no big deal. these old version are still needed because newer version can't play ps2 lpcm audio. is the bug report tool part of mpc hc or madvr. so i just tried to use an old version that simply isn't supported anymore or was broken?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 22:52   #20937  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I've observed sharp drops in the render queue with artifact removal at default settings which results in dropped frames every ~5 seconds. This tends to happen only in high motion sequences like action/dance sequences.

Windows 7 x64, GTX 670, LAV, MPC-HC nightly, latest madVR deband build.
Known issue, it is a bug in the interaction of the fade detection for debanding and smooth motion. Turning off either will solve it (set both debanding options to the same setting to turn off fade detection).

Last edited by Asmodian; 19th November 2013 at 22:54.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 00:59   #20938  |  Link
secvensor

Similar the project is frozen.
6(3x2)GB Transcend 1426MHz
RoyalHD (64MB)[Solo6c][JPLAY]/HD7850DC22GD5V2[EIZOT965]
Seasonic X-750
VelociRaptor WD4500HLHX/16TB_STORE
secvensor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 02:59   #20939  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Known issue, it is a bug in the interaction of the fade detection for debanding and smooth motion. Turning off either will solve it (set both debanding options to the same setting to turn off fade detection).
Yep, setting both to low solved it.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 15:12   #20940  |  Link
Niyawa

madshi, I have a question from a dev friend for you:

"Hi, "fastSubtitles" is not listed in the commented list of available settings in mvrInterfaces in the latest available version. Do you plan on keeping this setting at that specified name?"

Also a question of my own... the option "use a separate device for presentation (Vista and newer)", does it haves any downsides? Or maybe just something that I should keep in mind? I've tested it enabled with a variety of PCs and it always halved the rendering time, not to mention it made smooth motion more stable too.

Last edited by Niyawa; 21st November 2013 at 15:16.
Niyawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling