Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th November 2013, 16:23   #1  |  Link
luke823

Media Browser Theater

Hi,
We (Team Media Browser), have released an alpha of Media Browser Theater. It's a windows-based app designed to browse and play a Media Browser library.

Media Browser is an open source client-server app, and you can read about our project here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser
http://www.mediabrowser3.com/

For Media Browser Theater, the video player is direct-show based and supports LAV Filters, XyVsFilter, Reclock, Madvr & XySubFilter.

There's a long way to go but so far it's been fairly well received. I'm here in hopes of recruiting any potential developers who might have interest in joining the team and helping out.

Last edited by luke823; 18th November 2013 at 16:29.
luke823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 16:27   #2  |  Link
luke823

Here are some screens:

Old 18th November 2013, 16:48   #3  |  Link
andyvt

What control methods are supported (RC6, IP, Windows messages)?

How is transcoding performed for mobile playback?

Thanks

Last edited by andyvt; 18th November 2013 at 16:53.
andyvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 16:54   #4  |  Link
luke823

This player itself is alpha. Brand new.

The server, as well as our other apps are all in their own stages. Server is stable. Windows Phone and iOS are released into their stores. Android actually will be in the store today. Roku is about a week or two away from store release. Our Windows 8.1 tablet app is about a month away from release. Then we have Media Portal and Xbmc clients in beta stages. So we're all over the place.

The server relies on ffmpeg for transcoding. This particular app (MBT as we call it), is designed to be used within the LAN and access the media files directly in order to avoid streaming through the server. But it can be used to connect to a remote server and stream if desired.

Please let me know if I can answer anything else. Thanks.

Last edited by luke823; 18th November 2013 at 17:04.
Old 18th November 2013, 16:55   #5  |  Link
luke823

Control methods - it supports standard MCE remotes.

Then it can also be programatically controlled using our api, and we have a couple developers working on some interesting things with that (e.g. kinect).
Old 18th November 2013, 17:06   #6  |  Link
andyvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke823 View Post
The server relies on ffmpeg for transcoding.
Sorry, that was a tangent . I've been looking for a suitable non-CPU based way to do in home mobile streaming. I recently added RTP/RTSP support to QSTranscode (mostly to POC live555 integration), what streaming protocol do you use to provide video to clients. Is ffmpeg used externally or linked in (i.e. could I replace it w/ my own exe)?

Quote:
This particular app (MBT as we call it), is designed to be used within the LAN and access the media files directly in order to avoid streaming through the server. But it can be used to connect to a remote server and stream if desired.
Thanks. Can we assume that the full suite of madVR's capabilities are supported (or will be). FSE, rate switching, IVTC, etc.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:12   #7  |  Link
luke823

It streams through our web (http) api, however, our clients do their best to avoid encoding whenever possible, using stream copy techniques, and/or streaming the original file when the device can handle it natively. In addition, some of them like Android support external players, which add more client-side capabilities, thus further reducing the likelihood of encoding.

As for madvr, we have not implemented full screen exclusive mode yet, but it is on the roadmap. That's partially why I'm here, to recruit development help. As far as I know, every feature that doesn't depend on FSE should be functional at this stage.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:22   #8  |  Link
andyvt

Quote:
It streams through our web (http) api, however, our clients do their best to avoid encoding whenever possible, using stream copy techniques, and/or streaming the original file when the device can handle it natively.
I'd love to know more about how this is implemented, but I don't want to derail this thread too much. Is there a place where I can learn more about how you're using ffmpeg to do this? QSTrancode uses ffmpeg front/back-ends (transcoding is offloaded to Intel QuickSync), so it should be relatively easy for me to hook into this.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:26   #9  |  Link
luke823

Yea come talk to us on our forum:

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/

I'll get you into the dev area if it gets too technical for the general population.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:32   #10  |  Link
andyvt

Quote:
As for madvr, we have not implemented full screen exclusive mode yet, but it is on the roadmap. That's partially why I'm here, to recruit development help. As far as I know, every feature that doesn't depend on FSE should be functional at this stage.
Where do you need assistance?

Oh, one thing that you'll want to be aware of if your UI is WinForm (maybe other .NET techs) based (I couldn't find it in a quick look around) is that it will leak memory each time the refresh rate changes. I never found a way to fix that, so it's probably just something you'll have to code around.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:52   #11  |  Link
luke823

I have to focus my dev time on the more mainstream features, so if somebody wanted to take on exclusive mode that would be fantastic. It's not a matter of turning it on though, that's the easy part. It's recreating all the in-video menus that will increase the effort required.

Or, two other big ones missing from the video player - dvd menu navigation, and loading external subtitle files into the direct show graph. I'm assuming the subtitles will be easy, just haven't been able to find a code sample.
Old 18th November 2013, 18:03   #12  |  Link
andyvt

Quote:
Or, two other big ones missing from the video player - dvd menu navigation, and loading external subtitle files into the direct show graph. I'm assuming the subtitles will be easy, just haven't been able to find a code sample.
If you're using the OOTB DVD navigator, you should be able to use the code from EVRPlay as a sample. It's pretty straight forward.

Subtitles will be more difficult because of all the different formats. I don't think I've ever played with that.
Old 18th November 2013, 18:07   #13  |  Link
luke823

Thanks. I have sample code for dvd menus and I'll also review that. I just haven't been able to allocate time for it yet.

For subs - wouldn't the combination of lav splitter and xyvsfilter be able to understand the various formats? Or are you saying we would have to parse them ourselves and pass the data to the renderer? If it's the latter, we would just start with srt and add more over time.
Old 18th November 2013, 18:26   #14  |  Link
andyvt

Quote:

For subs - wouldn't the combination of lav splitter and xyvsfilter be able to understand the various formats? Or are you saying we would have to parse them ourselves and pass the data to the renderer? If it's the latter, we would just start with srt and add more over time.
I forgot about that . I think that should work (may have to have a look if I get some time). It's an interesting problem.
Old 18th November 2013, 19:37   #15  |  Link
ddjmagic

Interface looks very nice
I'm guessing this can be setup to use an external player for 2D/3D ISO's etc, if preferred?
ddjmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 19:38   #16  |  Link
luke823

Yes, and we can actually mount the iso internally so there's no need to fuss with third party mounting software.
Old 18th November 2013, 20:00   #17  |  Link
ddjmagic

Quote:
Yes, and we can actually mount the iso internally so there's no need to fuss with third party mounting software.
Thanks, that sound great - is there, or will there be an option to manually select the external player when required (similar to XBMC "play using" option)
For example by default it will use the internal player and try and play the main movie playlist from the BD, but if and when needed the external player can be launched to view menu's/special features (This is how I use XBMC/TMT currently)
Old 18th November 2013, 20:04   #18  |  Link
luke823

right now you setup the external player configuration for specific kinds of files, and then it always gets used. the ability to pick a player on the fly is an interesting idea and can be added later.
Old 18th November 2013, 20:27   #19  |  Link
ddjmagic

Quote:
right now you setup the external player configuration for specific kinds of files, and then it always gets used. the ability to pick a player on the fly is an interesting idea and can be added later.
Cool, its a great option, as you can skip all the annoying stuff and go straight to the movie automatically when using the internal player, but then if you ever want to view the special features/menus, you just manually pick the external player.

Any chance of adding support in the future for reading the correct playlist from a "disc.inf" file that AnyDVD creates on the root of the Blu-ray Disc?
Currently I believe only JRiver supports this, but it can be a very useful feature.
Old 18th November 2013, 20:47   #20  |  Link
luke823

that would be a while because there's a lot other more important things to do first. that's why i'm here to try and recruit. right now we just pass it to lav filters and it decides what gets played, which truthfully i think is the best approach.