Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th February 2013, 11:16   #17501  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Exactly. See also first post of this thread, where rotated displays are listed as a known limitation of the current madVR build.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 11:18   #17502  |  Link
psishock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Rotated screens are not supported by madVR at this time.
Its on madshis list to support it, but not a high priority, iirc.
Oh... that's a big bummer then, i stopped filling the bug. I am usually moving my player between the screens, depending on my stuffs that im doing, so i would constantly use this feature.

Many times, i would just move my player to the other screen to play something not really important, that doesn't require full attention, while working on the primary monitor.
psishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 11:21   #17503  |  Link
psishock

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Exactly. See also first post of this thread, where rotated displays are listed as a known limitation of the current madVR build.
well, now im fully aware what is happening at least. I have a bad habit of not fully reading everything before i ask questions, this is a perfect example for the fact that i need to start getting rid of it.

Thanks anyway madshi, hope that you'll find some time in the future between the important fixes to solve this one too.

Last edited by psishock; 17th February 2013 at 11:28.
psishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 14:06   #17504  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
Yes, I did.
Which GPU is needed to handle Jinc3 AR upscaling to 1080p60 was discussed in this thread multiple times and the general consensus was that a 660 is needed for that. Jinc is *really* demanding on the GPU. Well, maybe a 650 Ti would also do the job, I'm not sure if anybody tested that yet. But a 650 is definitely too slow. It should be able to handle 24p stuff, but not 60p. After all 60p requires 2.5x the power of 24p.
Just replace my 3.6 years-old MSI Lightning GTX260+ (680MHz, 216SP, 1792MB GDDR3-2100 448-bit) with Lantic HD7970 (925MHz, 2048 SP, 3GB GDDR5-5500 384-bit).

Gaming performance, 4K HDMI/DP single-display, Deep color support are major considerations to choose this HD7970 instead of GTX660Ti. (Both cards are the same price in my country now...)

Get it tested with the ISDB-T MPEG-2 program 1440x1080i60 --> 1920x1080p60, DXVA2 Vector-Adaptive Deinterlacing, Deblocking options, madVR Jinc3+AR.

I just can say that HD7970 should be capable of 120fps --- not just 60 fps in such case.

Too sad that my CPU is not powerful enough to play the H.264 95.4Mbps video stream 3840x2160i60 --> 1920x1080p60. I will try some other 4K samples with less bit rate that UVD3 supports to see if HD7970 is powerful enough with madVR Jinc3+AR in this case. Need nevcairiel to find out the solution to enable UHD decoding on AMD/ATi GPU again.

Last edited by pie1394; 20th February 2013 at 03:20.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 15:32   #17505  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
Need nevcairiel to find out the solution to enable UHD decoding on AMD/ATi GPU again.
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=1807
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 19:51   #17506  |  Link
renethx

A IVB processor (Core i3 or higher) with LAV Video Decoder's Intel Quick Sync is good for 4K UHD H.264 decoding (works with AMD and NVIDIA, of course). Tested with RED-Multi(120mbs).mkv (24p) and [V6. 4K UHD p] Spring.mkv (60p).

Celeron G1610, the cheapest IVB processor, can decode every 4K UHD H.264 just fine, at least with DXVA2 (native) (that won't work with a discrete card, of course). Unfortunately, Intel QS requires more power than DXVA2 (native) and Celeron is not good enough. Pentium IVB? Maybe, but I didn't test. Core i3-3220/3225 is fast enough.

HD 7770 is good enough for downscaling 4K UHD 60p to FHD with Jinc3+AR/C-R+AR+LL (maybe with slight OC). HD 7970 is good enough to upscale SD/HD/0.75FHD/FHD 60i/p to 4K UHD with Jinc3+AR/Jinc3+AR. (0.75FHD = 1440x1080.)

Last edited by renethx; 18th February 2013 at 10:11.
renethx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 21:25   #17507  |  Link
Plutotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
LAV Video Decoder's Intel Quick Sync (e.g. Core i3-3225) is good for 4K UHD H.264 decoding (works with AMD and NVIDIA, of course). Tested with RED-Multi(120mbs).mkv (24p) and [V6. 4K UHD p] Spring.mkv (60p).

HD 7770 is good enough for downscaling 4K UHD 60p to FHD with Jinc3+AR/C-R+AR+LL. HD 7970 is good enough to upscale SD/HD/0.75FHD/FHD 60i/p to 4K UHD with Jinc3+AR/Jinc3+AR. (0.75FHD = 1440x1080.)
Thanks for this post.
Old 18th February 2013, 07:39   #17508  |  Link
hulkss

Creating a 3D LUT for madVR Color Correction

I posted some instructions that work for me over at the JRiver forum: How To Get Perfect Video Color
hulkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 09:14   #17509  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkss View Post
I posted some instructions that work for me over at the JRiver forum: How To Get Perfect Video Color
Thank you very much.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 02:29   #17510  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Experienced a random freeze while seeking a WMV:

madVR 0.85.8
LAV Video 0.55.3 (Microsoft WMV DMO)
LAV Audio 0.55.3
WM ASF Reader

Freeze Report

Edit 2/19: Another freeze while seeking a WMV, but this time it hung MPC-HC entirely so a Freeze Report was unable to be generated. I'd suspect this is probably a LAV Video bug rather than a madVR bug, but the randomness of the freeze make it difficult to confirm.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 20th February 2013 at 05:17.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 15:56   #17511  |  Link
Nekomata

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Experienced a random freeze while seeking a WMV:

madVR 0.85.8
LAV Video 0.55.3 (Microsoft WMV DMO)
LAV Audio 0.55.3
WM ASF Reader

Freeze Report

Edit 2/19: Another freeze while seeking a WMV, but this time it hung MPC-HC entirely so a Freeze Report was unable to be generated. I'd suspect this is probably a LAV Video bug rather than a madVR bug, but the randomness of the freeze make it difficult to confirm.
I use the same configuration if i remember correctly WMV DMO is disabled by default in lav filter...
Nekomata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 15:59   #17512  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomata View Post
I use the same configuration if i remember correctly WMV DMO is disabled by default in lav filter...
You remember wrong.

What i see in the freeze report is that madVR is doing a CFGManager.EnumFilters right now, and from what i know, thats a operation not really safe during graph building, because it can easily deadlock (because it'll hold a lock on the filter graph)
The freeze report indicates that you're in the process of opening a file, and not seeking...? Maybe the WM ASF reader just does odd things when seeking, who knows, at least it seems to re-open the codec.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 20th February 2013 at 16:27.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 16:27   #17513  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

The freeze report also mentions seeking. So I suppose the freeze comes from a combination of (1) seeking, (2) WM ASF reader doing funny things when seeking and (3) madVR doing EnumFilters once in a while. I guess I could limit the EnumFilters to only be done when DVD playback was detected when the pins were connected. The only reason I'm using EnumFilters is to get the state of DVD playback.
Old 20th February 2013, 16:31   #17514  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Seems to at least not be something that needs doing on seeking..
Old 20th February 2013, 16:46   #17515  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

FWIW, it's not being done as a result of the seeking, it's being done in a timer event, which in the freeze situation just happens to be executed at the same time as seeking.
Old 20th February 2013, 21:59   #17516  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.86.0 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added smooth motion frame rate conversion algorithm
* added settings page for smooth motion frc configuration
* added "trade quality for performance" option for smooth motion frc
* added test patterns to madTestPatternSource to test smooth motion frc
* fixed: RGB input with odd width/height is now accepted untouched
* fixed: IVideoWindow::put_Owner() failed when pins were not connected yet
* fixed: madHcCtrl.exe autostart registry entry was incorrect / not working
* fixed: occasional crash when using DXVA scaling with high-bitdepth content
* fixed: green line at the left image border when using DXVA scaling
* file "settings.bin" is not written into win7/8 "VirtualStore", anymore
* slightly improved multi monitor behaviour (when using DXVA or MPC-BE)
* filter enumeration timer is now only active during DVD playback
* extended logging for fullscreen exclusive presentation queue
* internal software video decoders are now disabled by default (again)
Introducing the new "smooth motion" frame rate changer (FRC) with the following main features / benefits:

(1) Can convert any source frame rate to any display refresh rate, while maintaining smooth motion.
(2) Endless playback without frame drops/repeats (if your PC is fast enough) without needing Reclock.

There are disadvantages, too, of course:

(1) Slightly higher GPU usage (not too much) with default settings.
(2) Some sharpness loss (almost invisible with 23-25fps -> 60Hz conversion).

23-25fps -> 60Hz: minimal sharpness loss, nearly invisible
24fps -> 24Hz: visible sharpness loss
60fps -> 24Hz: very noticeable sharpness loss

Basically the higher the refresh rate, the better. And the lower the source framerate, the better.

There's a new version of the madTestPatternSource filter available. It's now a separate download because it increased in file size quite a lot, due to the new test patterns for smooth motion.

Technically the FRC algorithm simulates a display with infinite refresh rate. Which means that every video frame is displayed exactly when the timestamps ask for it. Consequently the motion smoothness depends on proper timestamps. If the timestamps (or audio clock) contain jitter, the playback will contain jitter, too. So even if Reclock might not be needed to avoid frame drops/repeats, anymore, when using madVR's new FRC algorithm, you might still want to use Reclock, because it provides a stable and reliable audio clock with very low jitter, and it supports WSAPI exclusive mode, too. You can however slave Reclock to the audio hardware clock, if you want. Having Reclock fully enabled with audio resampling is still possible, though, it shouldn't harm madVR's FRC algorithm.

To my best knowledge madVR is now the only way to playback Blu-Ray/DVD movies without 3:2 pulldown judder on displays which don't support 23.976Hz playback properly. I don't think any hardware Blu-Ray player can do that, or even any of the expensive video processors. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

One last hint: There's a new "trade quality for performance" option in the madVR settings which affects the quality of the FRC frame blending. By default frame blending is done in gamma corrected light, which is fast, but not mathematically correct. If your GPU is fast enough, it's highly recommended that you disable the "trade quality" option for highest image quality. There are no negative side effects to blending frames in linear light - except for higher GPU usage, of course.

P.S: Just to avoid confusion: madVR's smooth motion FRC does *NOT* modify audio in any way. Playback speed is not affected at all. The only thing that changes is that motion looks much smoother, if the display refresh rate isn't an even multiple of the source framerate.

Last edited by madshi; 20th February 2013 at 22:02.
Old 20th February 2013, 22:02   #17517  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Since you say accurate timestamps are important, how bad would the usual MKV timestamps be, which typically are just in ms precision? (for 24p, 41ms and 42ms alternating, giving a good average)
Old 20th February 2013, 22:09   #17518  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

MKV timestamps shouldn't be a problem. I was thinking of much higher volume jitter. But in any case, I haven't done too much testing yet, so we'll have to wait and see how it works in real life.
Old 20th February 2013, 22:19   #17519  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
24fps -> 24Hz: visible sharpness loss
Is this a typo? Why wouldn't MadVR just not do anything here?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 22:20   #17520  |  Link
andyvt

Quote:
madVR v0.86.0 released

To my best knowledge madVR is now the only way to playback Blu-Ray/DVD movies without 3:2 pulldown judder on displays which don't support 23.976Hz playback properly. I don't think any hardware Blu-Ray player can do that, or even any of the expensive video processors. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
Impressive.

Any idea where the cut off is in GPUs levels for this feature (do you need a double PCIe dGPU to use it or is HD4000 good enough)?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling