Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd January 2013, 21:26   #16721  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralle_h View Post
(or changing them to Intel)?
The Intel Decoder isn't included by default with madVR, so only software decoding will be used unless you download it separately and place it in the madVR directory. It's not recommended to use the Intel decoder though, since in general it is slower.

That said, if you want a more flexible playback setup, there are numerous advantages to disabling the madVR internal decoders and using LAV Video instead.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 04:03   #16722  |  Link
nub234

Hi Madshi,

Long time user of madVR here. Apologies if this issue has already been posted, however after doing a search I couldn't see it reported. I noticed my media player was freezing recently when frame stepping and bookmarking videos, so I tried an alternate player which to my surprise gave me the same issue. I narrowed it down to being due to madVR after messing around with all my filters and so on, and found that changing the renderer solved the freezes. I've reproduced the issue on both PotPlayer and MPC-HC and tried restoring to default settings with no luck.

I also downgraded to several different versions and figured out the issue is only present from 0.85.2 onwards, 0.85.1 not exhibiting the issue. I'd love to include a debug log, however I can't for the life of me get it to produce a log file even after enabling debug mode and using the CTRL+J shortcut. I'm running Windows 8 if that helps and didn't notice any excessive CPU usage when the freezes occurred.
nub234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 04:43   #16723  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniash View Post
I need the last PotP version to use pixel shaders with madVR

Leeperry?
1.5.34860 works just fine

I haven't done YV12 comparisons with MPC but they match perfectly in RGB32(of course mVR is more accurate in the BTB/WTW regions), that's on my to-do list.

Custom profiles are fairly complicated to setup but they're really powerful and allow you to roll settings(AR, etc)/PS scripts/gamuts based on whatever conditions you like(x=1024 is only here for test purposes, I will prolly go with 721/800 or 958, not sure yet) so here's a self-explanatory screenshot:

I was reading the threads about Joe Kane's Sammy videoprojectors on HCFR again, and basically green is often drifting so forcing it to behave within specs really does increase the CR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminance_(relative)
Quote:
The formula reflects the luminosity function: green light contributes the most to the intensity perceived by humans
I guess that this is the same reason why mVR's built-in gamut mapping was blowing me away on that Rec.709 Hitachi TV, luckily flat screens have a dozen polarizers/color filters so getting them to behave is child's play(if its manufacturer even cares)...when OTOH, it takes quite a bit of extra color filtering to get a DLP to output a non-drifting green primary. That also proves that a CR measured in a funky (greeny) gamut is meaningless for movie watching purposes.

Anyway, once you've tried Reclock and gamut mapping with mVR, you're hooked

Last edited by leeperry; 4th January 2013 at 13:55.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 09:17   #16724  |  Link
toniash

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
1.5.34860 works just fine

Do you use internal PotP subtitles engine?
I can't get it working
toniash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 10:10   #16725  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
I can't get it working
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=16709
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 11:24   #16726  |  Link
toniash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanezhiling View Post
I've had a moment to try it at work and I have no problems with subtitles ...
Old 4th January 2013, 12:11   #16727  |  Link
wanezhiling

No one can help you, no sample file, no screenshot of filter chain, no detailed configuration, no ...

"I can't get subtitles working with MadVR 0.85.7 and last Potp beta 1.5.34860. " Thats no any help.
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 13:22   #16728  |  Link
mzso

Hi!
I'm having trouble figuring out how is decreasing/increasing brightness is different from decreasing white level/incresing black level. Isn't the lightness range just scaled to the lwoer/upper cropped range in both ways?
Could anyone enlighten me?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 14:30   #16729  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyawa View Post
how was it again, when watching a 1080p HD movie on a native 1080p TV, so when the pixel ration 1:1 and no up- or downscaling is involved, chroma upscaling is still involved every time Im watching something, right? so I can still somehow improve my PQ by choosing the jinc 3 taps option in such a situation?
Old 4th January 2013, 14:45   #16730  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
chroma upscaling is still involved every time Im watching something, right?
On most content, yes. In the rare case you watch 4:4:4 content, you dont need to upscale chroma anymore, but there really is no real world content like that.

So if your GPU can do it, use Jinc3 for Chroma.
Old 4th January 2013, 15:14   #16731  |  Link
mindz

This post is interesting for everyone that uses SVP (Smooth Video Project) for frame interpolation.

I have found out that using the ffdshow decoder instead of the LAV video decorder, I dont have any lockups in MPC-HC anymore when seeking fast and a few times in a row. I dont know if everyone was affected by this, but I was. Using the ffdshow video decoder I can seek as fast and as often I want with SVP FI on without MPC-HC crashing/freezing.

BTW, I am also not using Jinc 3, 4 or 8 AR with SVP, since it sometimes produces slow downs/stutters whereas Lanczos doesnt. The slow downs are not from too high CPU usage, I think its inherint to the algorithm. It feels less clean with FI.

Just FYI !

Last edited by mindz; 4th January 2013 at 15:17.
mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 16:09   #16732  |  Link
mark0077

I thought the lockups when seeking lots of times were caused by a problem in avisynth itself? SVP's tray icon works around it by disabling avisynth on seek. I wish it was fixed from that end by an interested developer, so that switching decoders / SVP workarounds wern't necessary.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 18:26   #16733  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
I thought the lockups when seeking lots of times were caused by a problem in avisynth
The random lockups while seeking might more than likely be due to MPC itself as I vaguely remember having this problem with MPC-HC and Avisynth scripts ages ago. It also reminds me of that other utterly annoying random bug when MPC would remain as a process when I closed it....this latter bug was acknowledged but never fixed AFAIK. KMP never gave me any of these two issues.

Quote:
I can't get it working
I never watch subbed movies, can't tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
1) What is benefit in buying a high-end GTX 6xx card now vs buying a much cheaper GTX 4xx or 5xx series since those would certainly be able to play videos at max settings if my 9500 GT can.
the 5xx boards you can find new are overpriced NOS and second hand they are just not worth it....who wants to pay 100€ for a used 560Ti with barely any warranty left when you can get a brand new 120€ 650Ti that will essentially perform equally well and suck 40W less at that? There's a good chance that the 560Ti will be noisier too(stock at least).

Anyway, it's good that I waited because the 120€ 650Ti is a no-go due to its 128bit memory controller and 190€ for a GTX660 is hard to justify when all you want is Jinc3 AR

So nvidia started to feel AMD's breath in their neck and finally thought of a solution: http://bbs.pceva.com.cn/thread-77315-1-1.html

It's a 650Ti with a 192bit memory controller, 25% faster than the 650Ti and 15% slower than the 660. It should be released within a few months and it will make the vanilla 660 price drop or at least get the 660SE to sit around 150€, which will be perfect

Last edited by leeperry; 4th January 2013 at 22:06.
Old 4th January 2013, 18:29   #16734  |  Link
mark0077

Hi leeperry

What player do use. Do you use svp along with it? I have tried pot player maybe once every six months for the last year and a half but always find it more unstable than mpc

Last edited by mark0077; 4th January 2013 at 19:28.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 19:19   #16735  |  Link
toniash

Quote:
I can't get subtitles working with MadVR 0.85.7 and last Potp beta 1.5.34860. Any hint?
Problem resolved after reinitiliazing PotP configuration
Old 5th January 2013, 01:37   #16736  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
What player do use. Do you use svp along with it?
I don't use SVP (yet) but there are many other players that support mVR now: KMP, PotP(make sure to delete every file apart from the main .exe and its associated DLL), ZoomPlayer and prolly others I'm not aware of

Anyway, Those 3D videoprojectors are pretty cool coz they are technically forced to support 720p in 120Hz FWIU, and apparently games in 120Hz really kill on the BenQ W1070
Old 5th January 2013, 09:20   #16737  |  Link
G_M_C

About linear light scaling in madVR. I would like some more information about that feature. I understand that it does scaling without correcting for shift in gamma, and i got the impression that -maybe only in theory- it can lead to better/more realistic results (see for instance: http://www.glennchan.info/articles/t...inearLight.htm ).

Some time go i read some advise not to use it in madVR because it because it adds ringing (see madshi's post here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...85#post1532185 )?
But is that still true now madshi implemented his anti-ringing filter?

Maybe someone can explain this feature a bit better? And also if/when/why it gets better or worse quality.
For me, some explanation would make it easier to understand the tickbox, and to make a better choice in using it or not.

Last edited by G_M_C; 6th January 2013 at 11:08.
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 11:42   #16738  |  Link
Joniii

Madshi,
How does madVR launch the seekbar. Does it detect when mouse moves on the bottom or does it show it when MPC-HC tries to bring up the seekbar and instead shows madVR seekbar?

Windows 10 Pro 2004 with Media Center, 2 x DVB-C with cable cards
MPC-HC (madVR, LAV Filters, XySubFilter)
Sony Bravia 85X950H/85XH95
Yamaha RX-V685
Yamaha Piano Black NS-777/555/C444/YST-SW315
Joniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 15:31   #16739  |  Link
pei

Mouse cursor disappears in mpc-hc

Using madVR in mpc-hc on a Toshiba Satellite C655D (AMD) Using DXVA2, the mouse cursor disappears in full screen but if I move the mouse down, the seek bar still appears. Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Last edited by pei; 5th January 2013 at 15:38.
pei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 17:53   #16740  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei View Post
Using madVR in mpc-hc on a Toshiba Satellite C655D (AMD) Using DXVA2, the mouse cursor disappears in full screen but if I move the mouse down, the seek bar still appears. Anyone know what I can do to fix this?
Isn't this the way it's supposed to work? Most people don't want to see the mouse pointer while watching the movie in full screen, but want it active when you need to access the controls. PowerDVD works this way out of the box, so it's probably something of a "standard" for full screen playback.

Or am I misunderstanding your complaint?
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling