Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th November 2012, 18:33   #15841  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

There is actually two 630's (or well three, one on Kepler, and one DDR3 Fermi, and GDDR5 Fermi), naming things was always hard, i guess.
Old 28th November 2012, 18:33   #15842  |  Link
wanezhiling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...rce_600_Series

GT630(GK107) is just an OEM card.
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 18:34   #15843  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanezhiling View Post
Is your 660 capable of Jinc8,nev?
Im also searching a nice kepler card for game and video both.
Didn't try, Jinc8 is not really a real-world scaler you want to use.
Old 28th November 2012, 18:39   #15844  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Didn't try, Jinc8 is not really a real-world scaler you want to use.
Got it, thanks.
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 23:13   #15845  |  Link
DragonQ

Hmm, what does it mean if I get a "MadVR reports deinterlacing failed" message when trying to play a 576i/25 video on my Intel i5-430M (Arrandale) when using LAV in DXVA2 Native mode?

EDIT: Doesn't work with DXVA2 Copy-Back or software encoding either.

Last edited by DragonQ; 28th November 2012 at 23:20.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 10:29   #15846  |  Link
pokazene_maslo

wow, dxva2 native input! I have to say to madshi: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Finally is madVR usable for me.
pokazene_maslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 17:58   #15847  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Hmm, what does it mean if I get a "MadVR reports deinterlacing failed" message when trying to play a 576i/25 video on my Intel i5-430M (Arrandale) when using LAV in DXVA2 Native mode?

EDIT: Doesn't work with DXVA2 Copy-Back or software encoding either.

idk, but you can use yadif in lav video until you get this problem fixed.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 19:52   #15848  |  Link
manma

I'm a bit lost as to what an optimal setup constitutes. A lot of people seem to be using DXVA via lavfilters despite proprietary solution slike cuvid and quicksync seeming preferable at first glance. Is there any reason for this? Also, I can't quite get a straight answer on what options increase performance without reducing quality. Apparently either increasing or decreasing the buffers can help, but I can't seem to get a straight answer after skimming over a few pages of this thread every few weeks or so.

Basically, I'm just hoping I can get a few expert tips or tricks out of you more experienced users. Looking forward to learning something new. Thanks in advance!
manma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 20:06   #15849  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by manma View Post
A lot of people seem to be using DXVA via lavfilters despite proprietary solution slike cuvid and quicksync seeming preferable at first glance.
dxva eats less power than cuvid, not sure about quicksync. Also AMD guys have no choice but to use dxva. But IMO all of them is a useless waste of time. Most people can't even tell if any of these things are working unless it is written in some OSD, which only proves its uselessness.
Quote:
Also, I can't quite get a straight answer on what options increase performance without reducing quality
if there was a way to increase performance with the same quality, why would anyone made this optional?

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 29th November 2012 at 20:18.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 20:25   #15850  |  Link
manma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
if there was a way to increase performance with the same quality, why would anyone made this optional?
Simple. It doesn't matter for most configurations, and it may only give marginal performance increases in fringe cases. I'm sure there are a few things I could fine tune that would help me out a bit.
Quote:
But IMO all of them is a useless waste of time.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I have a feeling using HW decoding at all might actually decrease madvr's performance since it would take some load off of the GPU. There's really no point when my CPU is perfectly capable of decoding hi10p without issue. Am I right in thinking this way?
manma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 21:53   #15851  |  Link
toomyzoom

Quote:
Yeah, I feel the same way. I have a feeling using HW decoding at all might actually decrease madvr's performance since it would take some load off of the GPU. There's really no point when my CPU is perfectly capable of decoding hi10p without issue. Am I right in thinking this way?
10-bit can't be decoded by hardware unless there is a new GPU designed to decode it.
toomyzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 22:06   #15852  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
dxva eats less power than cuvid, not sure about quicksync. Also AMD guys have no choice but to use dxva. But IMO all of them is a useless waste of time. Most people can't even tell if any of these things are working unless it is written in some OSD, which only proves its uselessness.
What? All of these hardware acceleration methods reduce CPU usage, which is usually preferable for most PCs and essential for HTPCs.
Old 29th November 2012, 22:31   #15853  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
w00t, for the new build!

oh, PS script need to be invoked from within the media player, gonna have to whine to the coder of PotP this time(PS: email sent ^^)

PS scripts work in 0-255 in MPC AFAIK, but I might have misunderstood what you wrote.
I'm curious whether support will be added in the next release or not.

Hopefully he didn't reply "use other player" this time.

(Like when I tried to explain that the jump to next subtitle jumps to the one after that sometimes. (Apparently when you jump from a subtitleless part of the movie))

Last edited by mzso; 29th November 2012 at 22:33.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 22:33   #15854  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
What? All of these hardware acceleration methods reduce CPU usage, which is usually preferable for most PCs and essential for HTPCs.
This is how you want it to be, this is what advertisements teaches you. You need to wake up from your dreams. Very rarely people really benefit from it. Many believe that they do, but in fact they don't. They don't eve know if its working. They have no way to tell, because it is useless. Preferable? Essential? Bullshit. I'm not even saying about people who ask how they can tell if its working, and only after they was told where to get this info, they start to claim about huge improvements in something. Simply LOL.

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 29th November 2012 at 22:43.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 22:44   #15855  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
This is how you want it to be, this is what advertisements teaches you. Very rarely people really benefit from it. Many believe that they do, but in fact they don't. They don't eve know if its working. They have no way to tell, because it is useless. Preferable? Essential? Bullshit.
Haha, I can tell it's working - if it isn't on, my HTPC can't play 1080i/25 video smoothly even when not much else is going on, let alone when transcoding for a web client. There's even weaker (and cheaper) systems that can be used for HTPCs thanks to DXVA (e.g. Atom/Zacate).

I don't need or want DXVA on my Core i7 desktop but that's not exactly the norm.
Old 30th November 2012, 00:11   #15856  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
I'm curious whether support will be added in the next release
yeah, the next PotP build will support PS scripts with mVR, also add "=" on top of the existing "<=" and ">=" framerate conditions in the automatic rules profiles and I'm trying to get him to disable the annoying fade effect on the D3D GUI and to allow CMD_POPUP_USER_MENU to show up because CMD_POPUPMENU_PANSCAN_PRESET / ID_CHAPTER_SEL_MENU / CMD_POPUPMENU_FAVORITE all work perfectly in D3D, so why not USER_MENU huh

Once PS script support will be operational with mVR, I hope madshi will manage to work his magic once more on the PS script BTB/WTW stuff(so we can get the same colors as with EVR/VMR9) then we'll be all set

And BTW, we will also be able to use CMD_POPUPMENU_VIDEO_SHADER

But waiting is cool because I just found out that BenQ prolly lie on the 6X CWS spec of the W1070(the very similar W7000 runs it at 6X when using the "dynamic" mode preset but colors are out of control, OTOH it runs it at 4X in "cinema" mode). Also, DLP's require some additional color filtering in order to reach Rec.709 so most of them have their green primary far off Rec.709...the built-in ISF CMS would only help to achieve a lower ΔE on saturations at 25/50/75/100% but this will be completely dependent on the gamut mapping to begin with...and I don't plan on spending a millions years using manual HCFR test patterns in madVR+PotP either, so I'll just wait for mVR to provide the same colors with PS scripts as in EVR/VMR9 and to read more reviews about the W1070, which despite all this still seems to be providing a killer bang/bucks ratio

My german is quite rusty but apparently you can't really expect a proper colorimetry >4X CWS anyway. My previous 6 segments HC3100 was posterizing like hell at 5X, but it was just fine at 4X....so when they promise 6X CWS it's the usual commercial bs every manufacturer goes by these days.

Last edited by leeperry; 30th November 2012 at 18:39.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 04:10   #15857  |  Link
crotecun

Quote:
This is how you want it to be, this is what advertisements teaches you. You need to wake up from your dreams. Very rarely people really benefit from it. Many believe that they do, but in fact they don't. They don't eve know if its working. They have no way to tell, because it is useless. Preferable? Essential? Bullshit. I'm not even saying about people who ask how they can tell if its working, and only after they was told where to get this info, they start to claim about huge improvements in something. Simply LOL.
When I still had an Nvidia card I used to have CoreAVC. It provided a blue icon when it's not in use, and a green icon when CUDA acceleration is on.

If I look at the task manager when the icon is green there is a definite reduction in CPU usage.

And you're telling us this is all fluff...?
crotecun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 06:28   #15858  |  Link
schweinsz

When will the madVR have the 3D support in your development estimation?
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 07:35   #15859  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

IMO, HW decoding = no fan noise + playback is smoother (more or less).
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 11:10   #15860  |  Link
TheLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweinsz View Post
When will the madVR have the 3D support in your development estimation?
Well, it is not so easy as it also highly depends on the infrastructure:

Is there a proper MVC decoder available?

A uniform way to access 3D output on all capable GPUs is needed. Something the DX11.1 is trying to provide.

We also need nevs support with his LAV Splitter.

And 3D playback support of the media player as well.
TheLion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling