Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd October 2012, 06:19   #14301  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
62228345904589305483, are you using the new anti-ringing? Positive or negative thing as far as your upscaler choices go?

p.s. get a nickname people can remember :P
I only planned on lurking, but that clearly changed. I don't know if there is a way to change your username here. I regret my decision.

I need to do a lot more testing as there have been several changes made since I last had a chance to properly evaluate it. Hardware problems meant I was unable to, and I've still been too busy to do anything like that recently. (haven't even had the time to sit and watch a whole film yet!)

From preliminary testing, it seems to be a positive thing overall.
Right now, I like SoftCubic 50 with Anti-ringing for Luma upscaling (previously SoftCubic 80) and Bicubic 75 with anti-ringing for Chroma upscaling.

This is going to take a lot of testing though, as there are so many more variables now, but I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with those as being my preference again.

What is likely to change, is which of the sharper algorithms end up working best with the anti-ringing function. Now that its strength has been reduced, to reduce artefacts, I don't know that I'd recommend Lanczos.

The Bicubic variants all seem to do quite well with it. I don't normally like Catmull-Rom, but it seemed like that maybe had potential, or you could just go with Bicubic 75 which is always a safe bet. (even without the anti-ring filter, it's one of the better choices to balance sharpness and artefacts)

EDIT: Actually now I'm not so sure. The very next thing I loaded up, is showing clear aliasing with many of the Bicubic variants for luma upscaling, including SoftCubic 50. This is why I need time to do proper testing...

Last edited by 6233638; 2nd October 2012 at 06:28.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:34   #14302  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomanci View Post
If i enabled something in PotPlayer, i can't find what. I have this problem since 0.83
Ok, about the problem with the seekbar making madVR leave FSE mode: Could you please make a debug log with a madVR v0.83.x version which shows the problem, and could you please also make a debug log with an older madVR version (e.g. 0.82.5) which does *not* show the problem? Please make the debug logs like this:

(1) delete log file (if there is any)
(2) start media player
(3) start playback in FSE mode
(4) make sure the madVR debug OSD is *on* (Ctrl+J)
(5) show the PotPlayer seekbar
(6) wait 5 seconds, while the seekbar is visible
(7) close PotPlayer
(8) zip the log file

If I can look at those log files from different madVR versions which behave differently, then maybe I can figure out what's going on.

Quote:
So, when switching from windowed to fullscreen (in player) it enters directly in FSE. If i right click to exit FSE, after 3 sec it enters FSE normal. It is a new problem since v0.83.
Actually this is exactly the intended behaviour. If you switch from windowed to exclusive mode, there's no good reason to wait 3 seconds. But if you right click, and then choose an option from the context menu which opens another window, it is possible that there's a small delay between the context menu being removed and the new dialog window being opened. So there the 3 sec delay makes sense to avoid madVR switching between FSE and windowed mode twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
Madshi:
This is basically what I'm doing:
Code:
If TaskbarThumbnails <> nil then Try TaskbarThumbnails.Thumbnails[tnvPlay].ImageIndex := tniPlay; Except End;
That's the only place that I change the icons during a load, is that not enough?
I don't see this code in "dwTaskbarThumbnails.pas". The crash report does not indicate that "TaskbarThumbnails.Thumbnails[tnvPlay].ImageIndex := tniPlay" crashed, so putting a try..except around that might not help much. The code which crashed is the line in "TdwTaskbarThumbnails.DoUpdate", so you have to add the try..except block there. I'm not sure, maybe this is not even your own code. But still, that's where the exception occurred, so that's why you gotta place the try..except block, if you want to "hide" the exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
I'm having an issue whereby the video will randomly (like maybe once every few hours of playing various videos) that the video stops on a frame and the audio keeps playing. If I try to pause, unpause, FF or RW it makes no difference to the video being stuck on the exact same frame but the audio is changing in the background.
Does the debug OSD still change? Can you enable/disable the debug OSD in that situation? Does the media player still react to your commands (e.g. do the buttons react to clicks) or is it totally frozen? It might be necessary to create a debug log for this situation. I know it might be difficult if you can't reproduce the problem. Another try would be to create a freeze report in that moment. I don't think it will help, but it might be worth a try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
madVR v0.83.7 is super stable for me now. I think it's twice to three times as fast as the previous versions. I bumped up luma upscaling and downscaling to Spline 3 taps going from 1080p -> 2048 x 1152 and it fills up the queues. I'm amazed.
Not sure why it would be faster, it shouldn't! Well, maybe shutdown or changing video files could be slightly faster. But rendering performance should not be faster! I'm confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Reproduced it in 0.83.4, so now I'll try 0.83.3

Edit: Reproduced it in 0.83.3, so now I'll try 0.83.2
Edit: Reproduced it in 0.83.2, so now I'll try 0.83.1
Edit: So far, it doesn't seem to occur in 0.83.1, but I'll continue testing over the next couple days to make sure.
The only differences between v0.83.1 and v0.83.2 are Overlay related, or affect closing playback or changing video files. You're not using Overlay, are you?

Quote:
I got a freeze, so here is the report.
In which situation did this freeze occur? It seems that PotPlayer contains *some* debug information, but it appears to be rather incomplete. Because of that the use of the freeze report is of limited use, unfortunately. Is that the latest PotPlayer build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack12 View Post
With 0.83.7 files begin and play correctly, but if you jump ahead or back a number of times all of a sudden frames start dropping, stuttering and it does not stop or correct after pausing. It is consistent. Go back to 0.82.5 and there are no problems. Jump around between 3-5 times and always see the problem.

The render and back buffer que appear that they are not being filled once the problem starts.

Running in FSE mode is flawless.

I could not get the debug log as you requested. Double clicking “activate debug mode.bat” yielded access denied and when run as administrator said file madVR.ax not found … even though it is right in the same folder …
A debug log is needed. Not sure why the batch file doesn't work, but the batch file is really only for your comfort, you can do the same thing the batch file does manually: Just rename "madVR.ax" to "madVR - release.ax" and then rename "madVR - debug.ax" to "madVR.ax". After that a debug log should appear on your desktop, when madVR runs. When trying to reproduce the problem, if you can't reproduce it for a longer time, please delete the log file and start again. This will make sure the log file doesn't grow too big. When the frame drops start occurring, please let it run for maybe 10 seconds, then stop the media player, zip the log file and upload it somewhere. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
what factors of graphic cards other than bandwith and memory type are decisive for speed for madvr? in recent two years, not much has changed regarding bandwith and memory type, there are still the budget and higher priced graphic cards which feature bandwith of roughly said between 20 - 200 GB/s.

but for some reason when having two cards with the same value for bandwith, the newer card still seems to be a bit faster than the old one. so which other stuff comes into consideration for madvr?
New GPUs often have small efficiency improvements, so they make better use of the available memory bandwidth. Shader power is also important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
What message you send, what message MPC-HC must handling instead of e.Wait() ?

P.S.
Try on this test build http://rghost.ru/40672681
I'll reply via PM. Thanks for looking into this.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 11:20   #14303  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
madshi
With 83.7 video does not stop.
But when switching Film - Video - Film (23->59->23), madvr starts dropping frames (queues are full) and dtshd audio starts stuttering.
We're talking about fullscreen exclusive mode here, right? I can't seem to be able to reproduce the problem on my win7 x64 PC in FSE mode. Can I have a log file, please? Let the dropping continue for 10 seconds, then stop the media player. Thx.
Old 2nd October 2012, 11:54   #14304  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx6 View Post
Edit: I've obtained a copy of MadVR 0.82(.0) and the issue is there, making that the first version it appears in.
Ok, I've found the change which is responsible for the effect you've been reporting. I'll undo that change in the next build. Unfortunately I'm not sure why I implemented that change in the first place, so I hope there won't be any negative side effects...
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:20   #14305  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Madshi:
Any word on the API callback function to notify players before and after MadVR has entered FSE (so I can work-around the keyboard-focus issue)?
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:30   #14306  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

It will be in the next official build.
Old 2nd October 2012, 15:08   #14307  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
The only differences between v0.83.1 and v0.83.2 are Overlay related, or affect closing playback or changing video files. You're not using Overlay, are you?
No, I'm not using Overlay. Doesn't changing/toggling subtitles via the splitter reload the graph or some such, as it sometimes results in a small backward or forward seeking jump from your present position?

I'm testing 0.83.7 now, which I haven't done yet, to make sure this didn't somehow get resolved in the latest version.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 15:15   #14308  |  Link
vomanci

Quote:
Ok, about the problem with the seekbar making madVR leave FSE mode: Could you please make a debug log with a madVR v0.83.x version which shows the problem, and could you please also make a debug log with an older madVR version (e.g. 0.82.5) which does *not* show the problem?
Well, i have the logs but now FSE doesn't work with any madVR versions (i tred like 4 old ones before 0.82.5). Strange. It seems to be PotPlayer's fault, but i clearly remember not installing a new version before 0.83 when it first appeared. PotPlayer is the latest version installed 1.5.34186, i always keep it updated.
One thing though, when i move the mouse over the seekbar i see for a split seccond your seekbar.

Quote:
In which situation did this freeze occur? It seems that PotPlayer contains *some* debug information, but it appears to be rather incomplete. Because of that the use of the freeze report is of limited use, unfortunately. Is that the latest PotPlayer build?
The freeze occured when swithcing from windowed to fullscreen the player, FSE being enabled, in all PotPlayer versions (when the movie was playing of course). With the latest updates in player and madVR (after 0.83) appears very rare.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ye2h9x

Last edited by vomanci; 2nd October 2012 at 15:21.
vomanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 15:53   #14309  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Well, i have the logs but now FSE doesn't work with any madVR versions (i tred like 4 old ones before 0.82.5). Strange.
I half expected this. The logs say that there's a window covering the madVR window. That's why madVR leaves FSE mode. It's as intended. If you don't want this to happen, you have to reconfigure PotPlayer. There are some options in PotPlayer that allow madVR to stay in FSE mode. Don't ask me how these options are named, though, I don't know.
Old 2nd October 2012, 16:35   #14310  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I half expected this. The logs say that there's a window covering the madVR window. That's why madVR leaves FSE mode. It's as intended. If you don't want this to happen, you have to reconfigure PotPlayer. There are some options in PotPlayer that allow madVR to stay in FSE mode. Don't ask me how these options are named, though, I don't know.
For one Skin > Control > Image overlay on screen > Direct9d seems to work.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 16:55   #14311  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
For one Skin > Control > Image overlay on screen > Direct9d seems to work.
Does anyone know if there is a similar method for MPC-HC? It's annoying when you select the properties of a filter and it causes FSE to exit.

There is another bug whereby if I open a window whilst FSE is running the window does not - always - appear (But it is really there). If you move the window (blindly) it will appear. Also minimizing the window makes the window appear (But it's now not there and is minimized so clicking on it or trying to move it then does nothing until you maximize it again).

Not sure if this is a Windows/Nvidia bug though.

EDIT: There is another bug I forgot. If you bring up a filter window that pops up on the playback screen and try to drag it over to another display and use it. After 3 seconds the new window becomes locked out/dead. It's there but I cannot appear to make use of it. I will edit this again or reply if I can demonstrate this as I can't recall which filters do this.

EDIT: I just tried loading LAV Audio Decoder. It pops up on the playback display (My HDTV). If I drag the window to my primary PC display after 3 seconds I am unable to do anything within that window other than move it about. All the functions become unusable. This is not unique to LAV as it occurs in other filters.

Last edited by oddball; 2nd October 2012 at 17:07.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 17:49   #14312  |  Link
vomanci

Quote:
Well, i reinitialized PotPlayer and no FSE, so they changed something in their latest versions. The skin sugestion doesn't work, it disables madVR.

EDIT: It's not the player. Tried older versions since 4 stable releases back and the same thing, they don't work in FSE but they used to. So it has to be something on my machine, but i can't figure out what.

Thank you.

Last edited by vomanci; 2nd October 2012 at 18:20.
vomanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 19:14   #14313  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Does anyone know if there is a similar method for MPC-HC? It's annoying when you select the properties of a filter and it causes FSE to exit.
I don't think that's possible. If you bring up another window like the filter properties then it won't be exclusive. How do you even open the filter properties? You can't even have menus in FSE.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 19:28   #14314  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
I don't think that's possible. If you bring up another window like the filter properties then it won't be exclusive. How do you even open the filter properties? You can't even have menus in FSE.
Systray icon
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:22   #14315  |  Link
Moony349

For FSE in Potplayer:

General - Skin - Control - Method = Disable

This works for me. Any method besides disable (D3D9 or Image Overlay) will not allow MadVR to go FSE for me.

Speaking of FSE: I don't use it right now because my card is quite capable. That being said, I would love to if I could get MKV bookmarks on to the timeline!
Moony349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 04:07   #14316  |  Link
blackjack12

Quote:
Windows 8 RTM (64) – build 9200
AMD Radeon 6570
AMD Radeon driver ver. 12.8
MPC-BE 1.0.3.1
LAV Filters 0.51.3-94 (not for VC-1, LAV filter issues with VC-1, AMD and Windows 8)
madVR - Comparing 0.82.5 (with antiringing 6 updates) - 0.83.7
MKV Blu-Ray direct rip files tested - VC-1, VC-1i, H264, H264i material
CPU Que = 12
GPU Que = 8
Windowed Mode back buffers = 3

Problem:
With 0.83.7 files begin and play correctly, but if you jump ahead or back a number of times all of a sudden frames start dropping, stuttering and it does not stop or correct after pausing. It is consistent. Go back to 0.82.5 and there are no problems. Jump around between 3-5 times and always see the problem.

The render and back buffer que appear that they are not being filled once the problem starts.

Running in FSE mode is flawless.

I could not get the debug log as you requested. Double clicking “activate debug mode.bat” yielded access denied and when run as administrator said file madVR.ax not found … even though it is right in the same folder …
Madshi -
The debug file you asked for can be found here:
http://sdrv.ms/P9pWXC

Hope this helps ...
Windows 10 Pro (all latest updates)
blackjack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:43   #14317  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Madshi -
The debug file you asked for can be found here:
http://sdrv.ms/P9pWXC

Hope this helps ...
Thanks. I do wonder why you upload a text file unzipped, but anyway. Can you please try these 2 test builds:

http://madshi.net/madVR837test.rar

Does either of them fix the problem (if so, which)? If neither of them fixes the problem, please double check whether the problem also occurs with v0.83.1, which you can download here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/madVR/old-versions#download

Last edited by madshi; 3rd October 2012 at 09:45.
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:22   #14318  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Prinz:
Here's a new ZP build that should show a proper error message instead of the OLE error message:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/104094858/zplayer_madExcept3.rar

Let me know which error message you see, it may help me track down the issue.

Madshi:
Do you think you can add image orientation (rotation) feature into MadVR API?
Something similar to the JPEG EXIF orientation modes:
http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/exif_orientation.html

With all the people capturing video using their cellphones, I get requests for this feature every so often.
I asked nev to do it in the decoder, but he says it should be done in the renderer.

Lastly, do you think you can support the IQualProp interface in MadVR? I already support it for all other renderers and it would be nice for the users to get this info without having to enable MadVR's OSD display.

Last edited by Blight; 3rd October 2012 at 12:32.
Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:56   #14319  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@Blight, I've image rotation and IQualProp on my to do list already. Although for image rotation currently I was only planning to support monitor rotation. I suppose you'd like to tell madVR to manually rotate the image in 90, 180, 270 degrees?
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:15   #14320  |  Link
Prinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
Prinz:
Here's a new ZP build that should show a proper error message instead of the OLE error message:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/104094858/zplayer_madExcept3.rar
Prinz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling